Thread: Rumors from Vacsey

Default Rumors from Vacsey

http://www.nypost.com/sports/15736.htm

CHASING 'RASHWEED'

February 17, 2004 -- LOS ANGELES - The biggest surprise regarding All-Star Weekend is Magic Johnson didn't win MVP.
    Don't be surprised, sources accentuate, if Rashweed Wallace is in uniform tonight at the Garden when the Knicks host the Pistons - only not in a Knick uniform.

Now that Wallace is a member of the Hawks, the Pistons, who didn't have the necessary assets to acquire him from the Blazers, have intensified their pursuit - along with at least one other team, perhaps the Mavericks whose All-Star-like lineup is the league's path of least resistance.

"We definitely play defense like an All-Star team," harpooned Mark Cuban in person, not by e-mail.

Chances of Joe Dumars capturing his prey for Detroit are better than good. Before I boarded a flight back to New York yesterday I was advised the Pistons' VP was playing tag with Billy Knight and the Hawks' GM was it. The incoming owners clearly aren't thrilled at the prospects of being represented by Rashweed.

Meanwhile, the Pistons have the critical goods Atlanta wants - a spare No. 1 pick and enough contracts (belonging to Bob Sura, Lindsey Hunter, Zeljko Rebraca, Darvin Ham and Tremaine Fowlkes) that expire at season's end which almost equal Wallace's $17 million salary.

The Knicks are well aware of Rashweed's continued availability, but aren't in position to do much about it; which doesn't mean Isiah Thomas has stopped trying. In the final analysis, it appears he simply can't come close to meeting the Hawks' above requirements.

At the same time, the Pistons' lease of Wallace in a relatively bold attempt to win a championship (at the cost of a first-rounder in what the experts contend is a weak draft) figures to be brief. There's still every reason to believe the 6-11 finesse forward plans to settle for less come summer and sign with the Knicks.

Especially now that he sees exactly where he fits - opposite Tim Thomas and alongside Nazr Mohammed (both 27 this year, as is Stephon Marbury) - and how Isiah isn't wasting time or fooling around.

Not that Mohammed is a deadbolt lock to start for the Knicks. Dikembe Mutombo remains both a shot-blocking force ("His defense was probably the difference when we lost to them at the Garden the other day," mentioned Pacer coach Rick Carlisle) and a vital pawn (along with Kurt Thomas) in sustained trade talk with the Warriors for Erick Dampier.

If they don't do something with the elderly Dikembe soon they can forget it," notes column castigator Frank Drucker. "He's about ten minutes away from being declared a landmark."

Again, it's doubtful the Knicks have sufficient resources to beat out, say, the Grizzlies, but they haven't been disqualified from the hunt either. Memphis Moolah Michael Heisley is lovin' the life of being eight games above five hundred (30-22) and isn't letting the luxury tax intimidate him.

Like Isiah, Grizzlies prez Jerry West has the freedom to spend whatever it takes to compete at the highest level. Which is why he's all over Dampier (as long as the price is one essential piece, not two), who, at least, bears a vague resemblance to centerfolds he's been associated with throughout his career as a player, coach and exec: Wilt, Kareem and Shaq. Ahem, unlike Lorenzen Wright and Jake Tsakalidis.

* The second biggest surprise during All-Star Weekend is Bill Russell smiled without first getting paid; all it took was Kelly Clarkson singing Happy (70th) Birthday to him.

Numerous sources are predicting the Rockets will do something noteworthy before Thursday's trading deadline, but it positively won't involve Steve Francis. In an effort to ease the defensive congestion around Yao Ming, management is trying to acquire a legit 3-point shooting forward, namely Austin Croshere.

A few weeks ago, the Pacers discussed swapping him for Kelvin Cato. Recently, the talk revolved around Maurice Taylor; if Indy pulls the trigger, you might see Al Harrington to Denver for Rodney White and Jon Barry.
    Houston also is talking to the 76ers about Aaron McKie, who could just as easily wind up in Chicago for Jerome Williams.

The fact the Nets are 9-0 since Lord Bye-Ron Scott's eviction is a damning indictment on both the coach and the players; he had totally lost their respect and attention, whereas they had bailed out on him one and all, particularly at the defensive end. That's where New Jersey has made its biggest improvement.

The third biggest surprise of All-Star Weekend is Kobe Bryant didn't opt out of his court case.

----------------

I could see Detoit going after Resheed. His 17 million would come off the books at the end of the season so they would have more than enough money to resign Okur. Who knows, he might like it there and resign with them.

If he does sign with Detroit it hurts the Pacers chances of coming out of the East. Doesn't mean they still can't win the East though.

Default Re: Rumors from Vacsey

I wouldn't even consider Austin Croshere for Maurice Taylor.

However Austin Croshere for Cato would work fine for me. He would provide a legitimate center & legitimate bulk to our lineup.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Al for Rodney White and Jon Barry? ed:

WTF is Vescey on? I don't think Al's value is that low. Cro for Cato is a must deal for me. With that Pollard or even Foster could be re-dealt for a guard. I have hopes that Polalrd will regain some sort of resemblence to his Sacto days, but even if so, him and Foster don't work well together, they're too similar for each other's own good. Cato would give the Pacers another intimidatior, but again all this Pacer/Rocket talk makes me feel that a huge deal may possibly be in the works, how about a 3 team deal with Indy/Houston/Philly; with Iverson to Indy, Francis + another quality guy to Philly, and Harrington, Snow, and Croshere to Houston? It won't ever happen though as losing Iverson would kill the Sixers popularity, and I feel Iverson wouldn't like it in Indiana, maybe swap him for T-Mac I guess.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

I wouldn't even consider Austin Croshere for Maurice Taylor.

However Austin Croshere for Cato would work fine for me. He would provide a legitimate center & legitimate bulk to our lineup.
    Me too, but I don't think Houston will give Cato up in a 1 for 1 trade for Croshere. The reason being Ming is the only listed center on their roster. Taylor has been playing backup center, while Cato starts at PF, but losing Cato would make them really small if Ming would be out for any length of time.

And, we need Cro's shooting ourselves so if any trade is made with Houston I think it will be bigger than 1 for 1.

Harrington for White and Barry doesn't work for me. If we give up Al, I want someone back who is better than just good in return. Like others I think Al is going to be a star.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

1st we can't give up 1 and take back two without waiving one of them, we already have 15 contracts.

I'm all over Cro for Cato tho.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

God, I dont know how to react to this. On one hand, he is one of the 5 most talented PFs in the game today. On the other, he is a total bad apple.

I guess I can live with him if he's only a 3-month rental. And the fact if he acts up on the court or in practice, Ben Wallace will personally dislodge his skull.....

On paper though, it makes us a legit threat to make the finals. I cant argue that.

I guess Id rather the Mavs got him instead......

This would also open the door for the Atkins-for-Lue/Giricek deal, since wed need bench help, and they give us cap space.....

Damn, we could replace HALF our roster in a week.....

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

I hope Rasheed does not go to the Pistons.

Cro for Cato or Mo does not excite me

AL for Barry and White. White has some talent and if he goes to the right team he could be a player. Barry has been injured most of the season. I don't do this trade.

I hope Rasheed does not go to the Pistons.

Cro for Cato or Mo does not excite me

AL for Barry and White. White has some talent and if he goes to the right team he could be a player. Barry has been injured most of the season. I don't do this trade.
    Barry and White are perhaps the two worst defensive 2guards IN THE LEAGUE.

Harrongton for them alone would be a joke. Now Al for Dre Miller, on the other hand....

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Kstat, what is the deal with White. I hear that if given minutes the guy can really score. Deadly shot out to 20 feet and can really drive to the hoop also. The few times I have seen him actually play, he looks like a guy who can score 20 pts a game if given the playing time

Kstat, what is the deal with White. I hear that if given minutes the guy can really score. Deadly shot out to 20 feet and can really drive to the hoop also. The few times I have seen him actually play, he looks like a guy who can score 20 pts a game if given the playing time
    Jon Barry could probably score close to 15 if he started as well. He's an outstanding shooter. But he would give up 30.

And so would white.

He got dealt from Detroit because he couldnt play Defense, and Carlisle refused to play him. He went to Joe D to make Rick play him, and Joe told him he could sit or be traded. He chose to be traded.

Now he's going to Denver, and not only do they refuse to pick up his option (unheard of for a lottery pick), but they are trying to deal him AGAIN. That says something. He just isnt willing to work to become a better player.

White is a HECK of an offensive talent, but he is so INCREDIBLY lazy on D, its hard to imagine him ever starting. Job Barry isnt lazy on D though, he just has no physical ability to defend.

Sports Logo

Now Al for Dre Miller, on the other hand....
    As little as I want to see Tins go.... If we could get Dre But boy at the price of AL?

If we sent them Tins and AL would they send us Dre and Carmello?

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

me being a realgm junkie, i managed to work out a deal that looks like this:

harrington, tinsley, pollard for andre miller and white

sounds a lot better than harrington for white

Wintermute: I'd do that trade in a split second. I've always been a huge fan of Miller.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I hope Vescey's just talking out his ***, per usual. At this point, unless we trade some depth for a good upgrade in a particular position, I'm content with just staying the course.

I hope Detroit doesn't get Wallace.

I think he's full of it as usual, but.......

IF a decent proposal for Al comes in I think he's gone.

Why?

Ron and JO aren't going anywhere the first couple of years.
    Jamaal should be kept, despite what some think he's in line to be a great one (and not only)for this team.

C we will be looking to get a "real" one either now or in the off-season. the sharing of that spot and playing JO there is something that works but we could be more effective with a "real" C. Jeff's (or Scot's) energy would be more suited of the bench anyway.

leaves the SG open for now, depending on JB and Freddie, we are sort of OK on that spot for the next couple of yeasr, (Reg isn't worn out yet )

So in all reality we have to conclude that the starting spot that Al craves so badly is nowhere in sight in the near future.

With the market moving the way it does at the moment it can be the right time to do it now, it would certainly prevent any mal contented player in the play offs, or solo-antics to carve a spot on the market in those same play offs, which would hurt the team so much more.

I can not see them trading for a SG or PG unless we're talking really BIG names, but a "good" starting C is not impossible.

just my opinon though.

So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

does Chicago's Curry & Fizer for Al and Primoz interest you? The numbers work
    see... this might be a good trade if we were rebuilding, but I don't see how this deal could help us now

Curry has potential, but that is all he has...potential

I've always liked Fizer, but this deal would mean giving up or bench in hopes of a superstar (curry) a few years down the road

I think if we are going to make a trade, it has to be a deal that will help us now

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

does Chicago's Curry & Fizer for Al and Primoz interest you? The numbers work
    No Curry's too soft and Fizer's an unknown who could be good. It would take Curry and Crawford for Al and Jamaal, but I figure the Bulls could get a better offer for the two.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm really starting to believe that most of what Vescey writes is just a desperate cry for someone to take him to AA.
    As usual, Vescey is full of crap.

First of all, Rasheed Wallace was just traded and can't be traded for at least 60 days I believe (I'm recalling from memory) unless it is a 1 for 1 trade. Vescey has the Pistons sending a whole slew of players but it can't be done!

Pete is never one to let the facts get in the way. ed:
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think if we are going to make a trade, it has to be a deal that will help us now
    So would you bit on .... Harrington. Jones, and Pollard for Ray Allen[/quote]

Absolutely.

But Seattle wouldn't.