Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is the backup PF on the roster next season?

Default Who is the backup PF on the roster next season?

I am sure its been discussed before and I know this is a bit of a premature question but what do we do with the backup PF postion? Pendy and Tyler are both RFA at the end of the season and it seems like the emergence of Pendergraph could make Tyler not even worth retaining even if it means not extending a qualifing offer.

One of the reason I bring this up is that the team will be strapped for cash next year if they do end up resigning David West and everything from the FO is pointing toward us spending most of our cap on retaining him.

So who would you like to see on the team factoring in salary cap restrictions.

Pendergraph and possibly a better back up point guard to replace DJ or Tyler and possibly using the draft pick to address the backup point guard position?

Or the wildcard is not signing either Jeff or Tyler and going with a new backup PF like DJ Blair or another backup PF in FA.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 02-22-2013 at 06:09 PM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Who is the backup PF on the roster next season?

Forget that question, I want to know who the starter will be! Sure hope we can retain West.

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Forget that question, I want to know who the starter will be! Sure hope we can retain West.
    I think its pretty clear that the Pacers have a good shot at retaining him if you just look at his options in free agency.

Who can spend what the Pacers can spend and be a playoff team? IF you do the research the list is pretty small.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    I think its pretty clear that the Pacers have a good shot at retaining him if you just look at his options in free agency.

Who can spend what the Pacers can spend and be a playoff team? IF you do the research the list is pretty small.
    I hope your right. I have to admit I am nervous about it. I mean, I was pretty blindsided when Roy got his offer.

I think we keep Tyler. Everybody needs a guy like that on their team!
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BornReady For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    When you say "a guy like that" do you mean a guy who brings 100% every night?

If thats the case then would you say we have two of those guys in Jeff and Tyler? I look at Jeff as a slightly less skilled Tyler but with the same intensity level.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 02-22-2013 at 06:21 PM.

Sports Logo

I want us to keep Tyler but I think that he will be a bit too expensive for us
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

J7F

Miles Plumlee or Tyler Hansbrough. Is there another Hansbrough brother we can sign?
    "Danny Granger is one of the top players in the league. To move Danny, you better get a lot back." - Larry Bird

Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    Nobody want to play against Tyler Hansbrough... Nobody... Including our guys...

Seriously though... He is a large part of our physical identity... If we let him walk we had better replace him with another bruiser...

I'ld like to keep him at a reasonable cost... However, if someone like Charlotte overbids for him I'm out...
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    I want us to keep Tyler but I think that he will be a bit too expensive for us
    So what is too expensive to you? 4 mill or 6 mill?

Personally I think Tyler's value is right around what Carl Landry got last year which is his QO of around 4 million. Some team may give him a Taj Gibson type contract but I think even the Bulls would admit that Taj's contract was a mistake.

Tyler is a favorite and I love the full out hustle he brings, but the Pacers need to really start planning for Paul George's payday. That has to be the number 1 priority. If Tyler can fit in that budget, fine, but I think there are few players with a higher priority on the team such as Lance and David West.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:

Whoever is cheaper of Tyler and Jeff. Possibly neither. No sentimentality.

Plumlee or someone else.

Tyler and Penderstar. Nice knowing you, but bu-bye.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Cool Re: Who is the backup PF on the roster next season?

I hope your right. I have to admit I am nervous about it. I mean, I was pretty blindsided when Roy got his offer.
    Why? I think everyone in the NBA knew Hibbert would get that kind of offer. He is a big man with some skills, expecially on defense. They cost a lot of money. If Portland had not offered him someone else would have...... ...

Sports Logo

His defense has somewhat improved....and although I hate that he takes WAY TOO MANY midrange jumpshots.....his ability to get Players into Foul Trouble AND get to the FT line in limited minutes is extremely underrated and often forgotten.

I am inclined to believe that the Pacers will keep Hansbrough as the backup PF and will match any offer that Hansbrough gets as long as it is reasonable.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    Why? I think everyone in the NBA knew Hibbert would get that kind of offer. He is a big man with some skills, expecially on defense. They cost a lot of money. If Portland had not offered him someone else would have...... ...
    Obviously he was going to get paid. I was a tad bit surprised to the extent with which he did though. A good series vs. Miami probably sealed that deal though.

Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    Tyler is a favorite and I love the full out hustle he brings, but the Pacers need to really start planning for Paul George's payday. That has to be the number 1 priority. If Tyler can fit in that budget, fine, but I think there are few players with a higher priority on the team such as Lance and David West.
    I agree. I love Tyler, but we just can't afford to match whatever offer it is that he gets in RFA. It's fairly obvious that Mr. Simon isn't willing to spend too much more than where the cap is at and with West re-signing (hopefully), we're going to be hugging that cap as it is. Will Simon want the extra $5-6 million a year Tyler will add on our payroll? Hopefully, but I'd guess not. It sure as hell doesn't help that we're basically wasting $3.5 million a year on Gerald Green for the next two seasons.

I'm personally in the (very small) camp of trying to win it all while staying at the cap or even below it. Again.. Gerald Green really hurts that dream, but Larry set this team up to succeed while also being the only team in the league succeeding without crossing that number the NBA releases every offseason. When it comes time to pay Paul, Danny is off the books. Our Big 3 will be George, Paul, and Roy. I'm a homer, but that's good enough to compete in the Eastern Conference Finals each and every year until those 3 retire. Plug in a solid $10 million a year David West type player, keep recycling the rookies when their contracts are up, don't waste almost $4 million of precious cap room on bench players who can't get off the bench, and winning without going over the cap is entirely possible. How great would that be? The Orlando Johnsons, Lance Stephensons, and Miles Plumlees of the world are all replaceable in one way or another. Keeping our 1st and 2nd rounders every year is a no-brainer when our team is relying heavily on the starters. I know Larry made it look really easy and this is all probably very wishful thinking, but if we continue to find solid guys late in the draft who can contribute while on their rookie deals and not overpay the wrong guys (and/or lock those wrong guys up to 3 year deals), we're set up for another 5+ years of winning starting with the Paul George extension. The Paul George extension is 2 years away. We competed with Miami last year. That's 8+ years of continued success with the right amount of luck, patience, and strategy. I don't understand how anybody can complain about anything right now as a Pacers fan (other than Gerald Green, obviously). Who gives a **** how many people are in Bankers Life during the regular season, as long we fill it up in the postseason. Who cares if we're not getting any national recognition. Who cares that the Executive of the Year award isn't named after the man who built what it is we get to enjoy for the next decade. Stop *****ing, crack open a cold one, and enjoy the ride.

I love you Larry.

Banned
    Mood

Why? He is going to be vastly overpaid for a player his age...... I think West is gone..... ...

I think a lot of Pacer fans feel that West will give the Pacers a discount deal and he well may. However, I think you are going to see a pretty large pile offered to West, maybe even a "poison pill" type deal with the contract front or back loaded to scare the Pacers away. BTW, if he comes back healthy, Granger is not going to be a much smaller contract either. The Ps will really have to make some tough decisions the next 2 or 3 years.

Moving forward I really hope we keep our core together which starts with siging West. No matter what Tyler has to wait until West is signed and if he gets a big offer in the meantime we have to let him walk. If we can sign West for 10-12 mil per year we have to do it I think we can. If that happens I hope to keep Tyler for less then 3 mil per year, if he gets a better offer good luck to him. This team need to keep a bench together for 12 mil or less the following summer. Green needs to go before then and Ian makes 4 mil alone. We can't afford to go after a free agent PF or a better backup pg. Let Lance have the backup pg minutes next year and draft for our future needs at these 2 spots.

Quote Originally Posted by cgg View Post
    Miles Plumlee or Tyler Hansbrough. Is there another Hansbrough brother we can sign?
    No, but there are other Plumlees out there...I think those other ones are supposed to actually be good, too!

As far as Hans, I will bet he does not get Landry $ (4 mil/per). Nor should he. $2, 2.5 per, you think about it. Otherwise gotta let him walk. Pendergraph will be lucky to get anything above the vet min.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dal9 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cousy47 View Post
    I think a lot of Pacer fans feel that West will give the Pacers a discount deal and he well may. However, I think you are going to see a pretty large pile offered to West, maybe even a "poison pill" type deal with the contract front or back loaded to scare the Pacers away. BTW, if he comes back healthy, Granger is not going to be a much smaller contract either. The Ps will really have to make some tough decisions the next 2 or 3 years.
    I don't think a poison pill contract is allowed for West but I do think both he and Granger will sign for their market value which should be between 10-12 mil per year for each player. Granger won't have a choice but to take a paycut, his market value is less then he currently makes.

I'm pretty sure he's not eligible for a poison pill contract...
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

Banned
    Mood

Who do people always think that a player will give the Pacers a discount deal? This is West's last big payday and he will want to make it count. Color West gone.... ...

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    Who do people always think that a player will give the Pacers a discount deal? This is West's last big payday and he will want to make it count. Color West gone.... ...
    You have to factor in how many teams are well under the cap and need a starting pf. Do that and you will find out that the market is pretty slim for his services. In addition you have guys like a young Milsap and Josh Smith that will soak up the FA money from those teams under the cap and need a starting pf.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post: