Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 52

Thread: A love letter from the Indiana Pacers to its estranged fan base.

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    39
    Posts
    107

    Default A love letter from the Indiana Pacers to its estranged fan base.

    Disclaimer: I wrote this. But it's Pacers-related, so I hope you don't mind if I share it here.

    http://www.punchnels.com/first-perso...nged-fan-base/


    A Love Letter From The Indiana Pacers To Its Estranged Fan Base
    Baby, come home. The Fieldhouse feels so big without you.

    --

    I didn’t want to write this letter. Ten years ago, it would have been beneath my dignity. But now that our dirty laundry has been aired so publically, I see no other choice. So here it goes.

    Indy, please come back to me.

    I know I let you down. But it’s time to forgive and forget. It’s been almost 10 years since what happened in Detroit.

    I’ve changed. Really, I have. Things are going really well for me now.

    Wait—don’t speak. I know what you’re going to say.

    “What about back in ’06, when you went out with friends and one of your buddies ended up poppin’ shots in the air in a strip club parking lot?”

    And: “What about that time at the Cloud 9 when you got into it with some locals and one of your pals ended up in the hospital with a gunshot wound?”

    Then you’ll start in about how you warned me about Ronnie, and how he was so obviously clinically insane, and that when he finally betrayed me by demanding a trade I kind of had it coming because, really, how stupid can one organization be?

    You were right. What can I say?

    I made some bad calls. Quasi-abusive stuff. And trying to fix things by bringing in stiffs like Mike Dunleavy and Troy Murphy wasn’t any good, either. Then later, extending Jim O’Brien’s contract—it was just one dumpster fire after another there for a while, wasn’t it?

    But listen: I cut ties with those losers years ago. I had a heart-to-heart with Larry (you love Larry, remember?) and we got a new gang together.

    First there’s Roy. You’re going to love Roy. He’s an old school, rim-guardin’, paint-ownin’, shot-blockin’ big man. And he’s hilarious.

    Then there’s George, born right here in Indianapolis. He starts every single day with a Tweet thanking God. And he’s got a sweet teardrop shot.

    And do you remember those Davis boys I used to hang with back in the day, when things were still really great between us? Well, if you liked those guys (and I know you did), you’re going to love David West.

    But the one I’m really excited to introduce you to is a 22-year-old kid called Paul George. Now don’t get upset, because I know how you feel about Reggie, but I’m telling you: Paul is going to be even better than Reggie. For real.

    But enough about me, let’s talk about you. Let’s not pretend that it’s been all sunshine and daisies for you these past few years.

    That hotshot quarterback you left me for broke your heart over and over again. And every time, you took him back—that is, until he hit hard times. Then you dropped him like a bad habit.

    Now you’re in a honeymoon phase with this Luck fellow. But let’s face it: football will never fill the basketball-shaped hole in your heart.

    And neither will college hoops, for that matter. So please, stop it with the candy-striped pants already. You’re embarrassing yourself.

    Oh, you do a good job of trying to convince yourself that you can be happy with college ball. “They play DEFENSE,” you say.

    Well, let me introduce you to the one of the top defensive teams in the NBA.

    “The college game is PURE,” you say. ” They play TEAM ball.”

    Just stop already. You’re too good for that stuff.

    Let me tell you about this friend of mine named Tyler (I’ll introduce you some time—weird dude). He’s the all-time leading scorer of the ACC. He just destroyed opposing teams in college. But in the NBA, he’s a so-so bench player who can barely get a shot off without getting knocked to the floor.

    College better than the NBA? Please.

    “But the NBA is corrupt,” you say. “David Stern rigs it for big market teams.”

    Yet you don’t mind that scandal machine you call the NCAA? Come on, now.

    Let’s not fight. After all, we belong together. We’re both made up of humble, hardworking individuals. We both embrace the underdog role. We both have to fight for respect from our bigger-city peers. We need each other.

    Will you at least come to a game? I can get you a great deal on seats.

    You don’t have to answer now. Take some time, think it over. I’m not going anywhere.

    Not yet, anyway.

  2. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to flakcatcher For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  3. #2
    Member *astrisk*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    483
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A love letter from the Indiana Pacers to its estranged fan base.

    Quote Originally Posted by flakcatcher View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Disclaimer: I wrote this. But it's Pacers-related, so I hope you don't mind if I share it here.

    http://www.punchnels.com/first-perso...nged-fan-base/
    nice job...

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to *astrisk* For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    10,725

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: A love letter from the Indiana Pacers to its estranged fan base.

    Colin Cowherd apparently went off about the crappy attendance a little bit ago. I can't decide if that's good or bad.

  6. #4
    Member Mo Tibbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Back In Indiana
    Posts
    44

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A love letter from the Indiana Pacers to its estranged fan base.

    Cowherd goes off on the Pacers, its fan base, and Indiana in general every time it gets brought up. His on air personality is typical. He loves the Yankees, Cowboys, Duke, any other big market front runner.

  7. #5
    future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    10,725

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: A love letter from the Indiana Pacers to its estranged fan base.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mo Tibbs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cowherd goes off on the Pacers, its fan base, and Indiana in general every time it gets brought up. His on air personality is typical. He loves the Yankees, Cowboys, Duke, any other big market front runner.
    He said he thinks we can beat Miami and that the team is very good. He doesn't understand why people aren't showing up, and neither do any of us. He wasn't blasting the Pacers from what I can tell.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  9. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,552

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A love letter from the Indiana Pacers to its estranged fan base.

    I appreciate what you are trying to do. However, if you are serious about writing and sharing a piece that might be presented to the casual fan, it absolutely cannot include anything that in any way downplays the Indianapolis Colts or IU basketball. You will alienate more fans than you will attract, no matter how convincing you personally believe your argument to be.

    In that regard, it would be far better to hit several singles and attract back a few fans at a time, than to risk swinging for the fences and attract them all back at the same time.

  10. #7
    Member Mo Tibbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Back In Indiana
    Posts
    44

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A love letter from the Indiana Pacers to its estranged fan base.

    I wonder if he's saying that now because ESPN realizes that we're legitimate to beat the Heat. And they'll need to create stories when we beat them to go to the Finals.

  11. #8
    Member Handoverfist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    118

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: A love letter from the Indiana Pacers to its estranged fan base.

    I like it. Very stalker-esque but I like.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Handoverfist For This Useful Post:


  13. #9

    Default Re: A love letter from the Indiana Pacers to its estranged fan base.

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He said he thinks we can beat Miami and that the team is very good. He doesn't understand why people aren't showing up, and neither do any of us. He wasn't blasting the Pacers from what I can tell.
    Colin Cowherd did pull out the race card, however.

    It was in the context of a statement of how the NBA is viewed as opposed to football, not just in Indiana but nationwide.

    He says football is teflon- nothing sticks. They can have thugs get arrested, but nobody cares. The fan identifies with the uniform, not the person in the uniform, for the most part. But with the NBA, fans identify with the players, so when the players let you down then you sour on the uniform. The Pacers once had thugs who brawled and had other arrests. 10 years or so later, none of those thugs are around, they have talented players who are good citizens, likable people, and play hard, yet the image of the players who are no longer there sticks with the current players. Why? Well, he says, in part it's because it's an African American-dominated league.

    I don't necessarily agree with him as to the racial aspect, and I know that this subject is a hot-button one that walks a fine line to be even mentioned here, but I think that it has to be mentioned to accurately sum up Colin Cowherd's point.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 02-19-2013 at 11:56 AM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:


  15. #10
    Custom User Titleist
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Larry and Frank -- Birds of a Feather!
    Posts
    3,437
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A love letter from the Indiana Pacers to its estranged fan base.

    A great basketball product (which is developing before our eyes), with likeable players (which is now in place), in a great building (always has been) continues to struggle with attendance.

    What is needed?

    A fair system that presents value and equitable treatment for those who are the core supporters of the franchise which doesn't penalize them for committing to season tickets when the rest of the seats around them end up getting discounted significantly without compensation to the STH's.

    Also, an in arena experience that is competitive with the far more affordable and convenient option of staying home where the broadcast commentary and ability to pause and rewind and watch the game on your own schedule make for serious competition against and arguably beat the live arena experience.

    To be competitive under those circumstances, the arena must provide more than just pointless "contests" and stale "entertainment" at breaks and halftime. Yes, being involved with the crowd at exciting games cannot be replicated at home, but how many times during the regular season is a truly close and meaningful game going to happen?

    Maybe have live interactive access to more in-depth information about the game that can only be accessed via an in-arena wifi system, with optional views of replays from multiple angles that can be customized at your own discretion, live participation polls about various topics about the team and game where those in attendance feel more like they are part of the action, or making a difference somehow.

    Integration of an arena-wide ordering system for concessions that anyone with the wifi access could order what they want from wherever within the arena through their devices for either delivery to their seats (for a convenience fee that is not charged to those in the club level who already have that included in their tickets on a very limited basis) or pickup from whatever vendor is most convenient to their seat (with an initial prompt that comes back to the customer that tells them the approximate time their order should be ready, and a follwup that their order is actually ready to be picked up). In conjunction with that, poll customers about possible upcoming menu / product selections that they would like to see and reward them for participation in the polls somehow.

    IOW, give people a really compelling reason to go to the games as opposed to relying on TV / internet coverage and message boards to consume the NBA Indiana Pacers product.

  16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:


  17. #11
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    29,213

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A love letter from the Indiana Pacers to its estranged fan base.

    I'll be interested to see the crowd size/makeup for tomorrow night's game.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  18. #12
    Pacers Fan For Life J7F's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Seymour, IN
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,040

    Default Re: A love letter from the Indiana Pacers to its estranged fan base.

    Quote Originally Posted by flakcatcher View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Disclaimer: I wrote this. But it's Pacers-related, so I hope you don't mind if I share it here.

    http://www.punchnels.com/first-perso...nged-fan-base/
    Posted on Facebook...
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to J7F For This Useful Post:


  20. #13
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,797

    Default Re: A love letter from the Indiana Pacers to its estranged fan base.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A great basketball product (which is developing before our eyes), with likeable players (which is now in place), in a great building (always has been) continues to struggle with attendance.

    What is needed?

    A fair system that presents value and equitable treatment for those who are the core supporters of the franchise which doesn't penalize them for committing to season tickets when the rest of the seats around them end up getting discounted significantly without compensation to the STH's.

    Also, an in arena experience that is competitive with the far more affordable and convenient option of staying home where the broadcast commentary and ability to pause and rewind and watch the game on your own schedule make for serious competition against and arguably beat the live arena experience.

    To be competitive under those circumstances, the arena must provide more than just pointless "contests" and stale "entertainment" at breaks and halftime. Yes, being involved with the crowd at exciting games cannot be replicated at home, but how many times during the regular season is a truly close and meaningful game going to happen?

    Maybe have live interactive access to more in-depth information about the game that can only be accessed via an in-arena wifi system, with optional views of replays from multiple angles that can be customized at your own discretion, live participation polls about various topics about the team and game where those in attendance feel more like they are part of the action, or making a difference somehow.

    Integration of an arena-wide ordering system for concessions that anyone with the wifi access could order what they want from wherever within the arena through their devices for either delivery to their seats (for a convenience fee that is not charged to those in the club level who already have that included in their tickets on a very limited basis) or pickup from whatever vendor is most convenient to their seat (with an initial prompt that comes back to the customer that tells them the approximate time their order should be ready, and a follwup that their order is actually ready to be picked up). In conjunction with that, poll customers about possible upcoming menu / product selections that they would like to see and reward them for participation in the polls somehow.

    IOW, give people a really compelling reason to go to the games as opposed to relying on TV / internet coverage and message boards to consume the NBA Indiana Pacers product.
    Dude you seriously need all that to watch a live Basketball game? They just put in the largest screen of any NBA Arena (looks much better than Houston's). What more could one need? You need to be waited on hand and foot? Pick yourself up at the end of the 1st quarter and go buy your freaking popcorn and beer, or wait for the beer guy to come around to your section? My gosh, you do see any of this at an NFL game or a Soccer game over in Europe. You need advanced stats, and inside info? Its called a smart phone.

    As far as STH and discount tickets. Look, you pay a premium to pick YOUR seats. Thats the trade off, you have your seats. Thats why I pay season prices for my seats that are by themselves, row 2 in the balcony. I can't get those seats any other way. If you want the cheapest deals then don't buy Season Tickets.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  21. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,552

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A love letter from the Indiana Pacers to its estranged fan base.

    Jeesh. Don't dis Brad for thinking a bit out of the box. It's that type of thinking by Cuban that has made the Mavs such a popularly attended event in Dallas. Any brainstorming at all can induce further brainstorming, which could in turn lead to changes that could prove beneficial to all.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:


  23. #15
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    54
    Posts
    10,665

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A love letter from the Indiana Pacers to its estranged fan base.

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As far as STH and discount tickets. Look, you pay a premium to pick YOUR seats. Thats the trade off, you have your seats. Thats why I pay season prices for my seats that are by themselves, row 2 in the balcony. I can't get those seats any other way. If you want the cheapest deals then don't buy Season Tickets.
    Ahh, OK. So, basically, I'm paying an 80% to 90% premium so I can sit in the same place for 41 games. Sounds like I'm just a sucker. It's more than OK for people to whine about having to pay those God-awful overpriced $5, $10, $20 balcony/club/lower bowl deals - in fact, it's the #1 reason why people say they don't go to the games, because that's Way Too Much compared to a $200 Colts nosebleed ticket - but thank goodness for the few thousand really really stupid people like me who have more money than sense and make it possible for the team to have some idea of what they'll have coming in year over year. We should just be grateful to serve and shut the f**k up when it comes to actually asking for anything for the money other than a smile and a nod.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  25. #16
    Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Dragon's Lair
    Posts
    4,040

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A love letter from the Indiana Pacers to its estranged fan base.

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ahh, OK. So, basically, I'm paying an 80% to 90% premium so I can sit in the same place for 41 games. Sounds like I'm just a sucker. It's more than OK for people to whine about having to pay those God-awful overpriced $5, $10, $20 balcony/club/lower bowl deals - in fact, it's the #1 reason why people say they don't go to the games, because that's Way Too Much compared to a $200 Colts nosebleed ticket - but thank goodness for the few thousand really really stupid people like me who have more money than sense and make it possible for the team to have some idea of what they'll have coming in year over year. We should just be grateful to serve and shut the f**k up when it comes to actually asking for anything for the money other than a smile and a nod.
    This is nothing short of ridiculous.

    If you are so bitter that you bought tickets, don't buy tickets.

  26. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    39
    Posts
    107

    Default Re: A love letter from the Indiana Pacers to its estranged fan base.

    Allow me to interrupt the dispute now in progress to thank those of you who read my piece for taking the time. And to clarify: Although I'm a big Pacers fan and I certainly do wish more people would attend the games, this piece wasn't intended to actually convince people to go to games. That's a personal choice, and I don't begrudge anyone their preference to spend their money however they see fit. It's a humor piece, and I wrote it because I thought it was a funny idea. Although I suspect a funny approach is more to likely resonate with readers who are on the fence about the Pacers than strident, finger-wagging admonitions. That's my opinion, anyway.

  27. #18
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    54
    Posts
    10,665

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A love letter from the Indiana Pacers to its estranged fan base.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is nothing short of ridiculous.

    If you are so bitter that you bought tickets, don't buy tickets.
    I don't think it is out of line to be disgruntled to see people not only get tickets at a fraction of what I paid - when the sale pitch for STHs is that these are the lowest price seats - but then also get extras that STHs don't get.

    For crying out loud, committing to 41 games should be worth SOMETHING more than just plopping the money down and getting a nice wave. Saying that STH's wanting more than just the seat they paid three times as much for is somehow ridiculous is very much taking them for granted, and I guarantee no franchise will survive that does so. Teams may not need to have loyalty to their players, but they damn well better have it to the people that they can depend on to help pay the bills even when the rest of the attendance collapses.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  29. #19
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    29,213

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A love letter from the Indiana Pacers to its estranged fan base.

    I feel like I get plenty of extras for being a season ticket holder *shrug*

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  30. #20
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,585
    Mood

    Default Re: A love letter from the Indiana Pacers to its estranged fan base.

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Colin Cowherd apparently went off about the crappy attendance a little bit ago. I can't decide if that's good or bad.
    He looks like Frank Vogel's estranged, evil cousin:




  31. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  32. #21
    Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Dragon's Lair
    Posts
    4,040

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A love letter from the Indiana Pacers to its estranged fan base.

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think it is out of line to be disgruntled to see people not only get tickets at a fraction of what I paid - when the sale pitch for STHs is that these are the lowest price seats - but then also get extras that STHs don't get.

    For crying out loud, committing to 41 games should be worth SOMETHING more than just plopping the money down and getting a nice wave. Saying that STH's wanting more than just the seat they paid three times as much for is somehow ridiculous is very much taking them for granted, and I guarantee no franchise will survive that does so. Teams may not need to have loyalty to their players, but they damn well better have it to the people that they can depend on to help pay the bills even when the rest of the attendance collapses.
    This isn't some new development that just started happening this season.

    If it bothers you so much, don't buy the tickets.

  33. #22
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,797

    Default Re: A love letter from the Indiana Pacers to its estranged fan base.

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ahh, OK. So, basically, I'm paying an 80% to 90% premium so I can sit in the same place for 41 games. Sounds like I'm just a sucker. It's more than OK for people to whine about having to pay those God-awful overpriced $5, $10, $20 balcony/club/lower bowl deals - in fact, it's the #1 reason why people say they don't go to the games, because that's Way Too Much compared to a $200 Colts nosebleed ticket - but thank goodness for the few thousand really really stupid people like me who have more money than sense and make it possible for the team to have some idea of what they'll have coming in year over year. We should just be grateful to serve and shut the f**k up when it comes to actually asking for anything for the money other than a smile and a nod.
    What the heck are you talking about? I see you every game dude. (I sit right above you in the balcony)I can look down and spot your bald head down there in row 1. And every game you are down there partying your *** off. Don't act like you don't get your money's worth. Don't act like they freaking owe you something. You obviously chose to buy the seats, and you paid for them before the season even started. Thats on you, you found value in that. Just as I did. It works the same way when prepaying for the latest gadget. Only to find it marked down a month later.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  34. #23
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    29,213

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A love letter from the Indiana Pacers to its estranged fan base.

    Lol @ partying your *** off. Made me crack up.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  36. #24
    future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    10,725

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: A love letter from the Indiana Pacers to its estranged fan base.

    I always thought Adnan Virk from ESPN looked like a Pakistani Vogel. Doesn't really show in pictures but I always see it when he's on Sportscenter. Think it's the hairline.

  37. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  38. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,882

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A love letter from the Indiana Pacers to its estranged fan base.

    I have no bone in this fight, but I would like to make two points:

    1. I see BillS's point, and even agree with it (to a point).

    1A. (I cheated) As a Redskins STH we got some cool perks, though IMO not enough to justify the price of tickets due in 1 lump sum.

    2. Because of BILLS's point, my family gave up our ST years ago. I have SEVERAL friends who did the same. They actually find it cheaper to buy 8 games on the aftermarket then pay for 8 games at one time, and get forced to get 2 crappy preseason games.

    Of course the trade off is I am on SH looking for seats every week (or every month if I can buy a bundle) and my buddies who kept the ST have the same seat, normally ones they enjoy.

    It is all a costs benefit analysis. IMO it is ok to think the team "owes" you more for being a STH (hell, Mark Cuban would agree with you and lived by that motto) but a lot of franchises dont. For whatever reason. If you feel that way then dont buy ST and buy them on the aftermarket.

    *I use the Redskins because I never owned NBA ST. We thought about Wizards one year....then stopped drinking

Similar Threads

  1. Dwyane Wade's estranged wife, kids suing his girlfriend [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-05-2010, 12:50 PM
  2. Miami Heat's Dwyane Wade sues estranged wife for defamation [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-18-2009, 07:00 PM
  3. An open letter from the Pacers
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-03-2006, 02:46 AM
  4. What is the NBA's biggest fan base?
    By t-Bone in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-28-2004, 07:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •