Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: On Gerald Green's value

Sports Logo

Default On Gerald Green's value

As we all know most people here are down on Green. I have heard numerous people telling that he has no trade value at all or even that he has negative value.

Personally, I want to keep Green as I believe that he will bounce back when his ankle and confidence return to 100% (maybe the Dunk Contest will help?) but let's take a look at what fans of opposing teams are willing to give up for Green.

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/view...?f=2&t=1233028

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/view...?f=2&t=1233049

Those are 2 trade proposals in RealGM's Trade & Transactions boards that revolve around Green returning to the Nets and Marshon Brooks being traded to the Pacers. The same person, Trader_Joe (not our own TJ), who is a Nets fan is the creator of both threads.

Here's a comment from a Nets fans:

Quote Originally Posted by Random Nets fan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    id make this trade in a second. trading brooks for green would be awesome and id be thrilled even if it was the onyl deal we make this year.

not sure why the pacers would though
    I've said several times that Green has value for Brooklyn. At least, for their fans. I don't know how the TPTB sees it but the Nets crowd certainly consider him an upgrade over what they have at back-up SF (Stackhouse) and SG (Bogans).

The overall point of this thread is that it's good to look at what fans of opposing teams think about our players. Especially about our struggling players. I know that RealGM is not exactly a reliable source as a forum but it's nice to have some insight on what other fans may think.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: On Gerald Green's value

I'm going to go way out on a limb and say that the Nets scouting department has watched more of 2012-2013 Gerald Green than one random fan on a realgm message board.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    I'm going to go way out on a limb and say that the Nets scouting department has watched more of 2012-2013 Gerald Green than one random fan on a realgm message board.
    Yep. I can see us calling with such trade proposal and getting a "No, thanks". *hangs up phone*
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

I think he has good value per contract. Just cause Pacers aren't giving him minutes in our stagnant 1/2 court offense doesn't mean that another team can't use him in a more productive role.
    Also, Brooks plays absolutely, positively zero defense. He would be so terrible with DJ on the floor at the same time.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't do that trade, but I would have a hard time pulling the trigger.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

I'll put it this way, I do not understand why any team would want him. Not saying there aren't any teams out there who would take him, but I think if they watched him play this season I don't understand why anyone would want him

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

He really has a down year, but still the contract of Green is not much of a cap killer to try shopping him out of the Pacers. I expected he'll struggle because he's a well known streaky shooter and most of his attempts are from the outside by design. If the Pacers can get a good deal out of him, then great. But with the current situation right now, I doubt we'll get a better value out of him unless he'll be a filler for a multiple-player trade.

I'm on the side that the Nets, or some other teams, are interested to get him as an energy guy (not the Hans-type energy guy, more of electrifying the crowd and the team with highlight plays). And who knows, with a guy like him you just need to pair him with a passing-savvy PG like Deron and he'll be a potent scorer with a cheap contract for 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I'll put it this way, I do not understand why any team would want him. Not saying there aren't any teams out there who would take him, but I think if they watched him play this season I don't understand why anyone would want him
    Exactly what I was thinking. He hasn't shown enough for him to be someone we could get quality assets for him in a trade. He has so much potential like PG had, but he has to learn discipline and learn the fundamentals of the game to go along with his freak athletic ability. Once he does that, he'll be a special player
    "We want Miami"

I'd gladly trade him for a 2cd round pick right now but I think we'd be hard pressed to get that.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    Apparently the Pacers scouts didn't watch the guy play that much either, anybody could tell that the Pacers were making a huge mistake by signing him to that contract.

Mood

My gut tells me that the Pacers grabbed him with hopes of running the floor and getting good "highlight footage" dunks and fast breaks. In my mind, a fast break of Augustin with the ball, and PG24 and Green filling the lanes....That's a SCTP ANY day....

Honestly, look at our second team....Augustin, Green, Mahinmi, Hansbrough, and currently it seems that PG24 is getting left on the court with these guys....That is one hell of a lot of athleticism and speed....On paper, that group SHOULD be able to run and out hustle any second team out there. Getting easy fast break buckets...I think that part of the issue with Green is that we aren't getting the production out of the second team TPTB was envisioning when they built this roster. We are getting very good play out of the second team, but we're not getting dominating play out of them....

TBH, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see Pendy get bumped into that second string somewhere....He seems to have a similar play style to Augustin, Green, and Mahinmi....The one that truly doesn't fit that team to me is Tyler....But Tyler has to be in that group, as his aggressive play is too valuable to put on the bench...Again, it all makes sense on paper, but transitioning to real play rarely goes the way the paper reads...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ejwallace For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Apparently the Pacers scouts didn't watch the guy play that much either, anybody could tell that the Pacers were making a huge mistake by signing him to that contract.
    Nope. For his production last season, the contract we gave him should have been a steal. It's easy to say "THEY DIDN'T SCOUT HIM ENOUGH" now that he's been so bad. I'll sign a guy scoring 13ppg on great percentages every single offseason. It's going to work out more often than not.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Goyle For This Useful Post:

He was really brought in to bring energy off the bench
    "We want Miami"

Banned

By the way how many more games until we call the off season a fail? I was told at around 25 games that it was too early, are people still making excuses? not doing a good job at upgrading the bench is going to cost the Pacers on the playoffs.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

By the way how many more games until we call the off season a fail? I was told at around 25 games that it was too early, are people still making excuses? not doing a good job at upgrading the bench is going to cost the Pacers on the playoffs.
    Based on performances I'm ready to say it was a failed offseason. Ian and OJ are the only guys that are looking good. Keep in mind though we haven't even gotten a chance to see the bench the FO had in mind when they made the moves.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

What is your definition of "fail"? I think Ian was an absolute upgrade over Lou, to the point of saving us from Roy's offensive slumping in some games. DJ was a meh to poor, though he has been doing better. The draft of OJ was good, draft of Miles was meh - so far haven't seen any kind of OMG FAIL! based on those drafted after him, though we have some hints at a player or two who would have been more successful but not any kind of missed star. Green has not lived up to anyone's expectations (even vnzla81 was more against the contract than the acquisition), who expected that?

I think we didn't downgrade the bench, improvement remains to be seen once we see more of Lance and Ian on the floor as supporting options for one another off the bench. I wouldn't call it a particular success, but I wouldn't stamp it as a shameful failure either.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

The off season might end up being a fail, but we may not be a fail if Vogel is smart about tightening up the rotation.

Lance at backup point guard, a wing tandem of PG, Danny, Lance, and OJ, and Mahinmi as a backup big is not a bad 8-9 man rotation.

Most of the off season acquisitions don't help, but the biggest need (backup big) did get addressed with Ian, and the surprises of Lance and OJ get us the rest of the way there.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I could see where a team with a fast paced offense and a great distributing point guard might have an interest in Green. We are not that team.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

24. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

I don't think giving the front office a singular grade or result for the sum of their off season moves makes a lot of sense or otherwise has much of any use. I think going case by case would make more sense.

For now, I think Ian is a success, Green is a failure, Orlando is trending positively, Miles is an Incomplete, and DJ is trending very negatively but not quite the failure that Green has been. Small fry signings like Sam and Ben basically get a pass from me unless they make the team noticeably worse or present locker room cancer, so they're fine to me.

*edit* I forgot to look at our returning FA's. I'd say Hill IMO is a success while Roy is extremely mixed at best.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Did we not re-sign George Hill and Roy Hibbert this offseason?

Beyond those two obvious moves, Ian has been a good pickup and OJ looks like another strong second round selection.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

I'll be cheering for Green to win the slam dunk contest, and then maybe some team will see an ability to market him to their fan base as an exciting player, and thus choose to give up an expiring contract of similar value, a few half full tubes of Ben Gay, and maybe a second round pick.

We then act like we found $20 in the pocket of an old coat.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

My initial reaction to our offseason signings was to be skeptical - I didn't like that we were getting 2 former low-minute players in Green and Mahinmi to be our 7th and 8th man basically. Well, it's worked 1 out of 2, so I guess I don't feel too bad about the Green signing now.

With DJA though, I really thought that he'd be an effective 6th man, possibly playing starter's minutes. In terms of failing to meet expectations, I think DJA has definitely been one of the worst signings for the Pacers in years. The only silver lining is that he's on a short contract and will likely be gone soon.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

The 3.5 mil a year isn't the issue with Green's contract, the 3 fully guaranteed year contract IS THE ISSUE. This was a major blunder. Even if only the last year was unguaranteed his contract would be so much more tradeable. He'll still be in a uni come next season, so I can only hope he "finds" his game or it's going to be a long 2 more years of Green.

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

I still think Green can be okay. I'm hoping this is a learning year, and he just needs to learn how to play on a team better. Similar to Lance, I do not know that he has ever had to learn the little nuisances of the sport.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:

I would see if the Thunder would give up Eric Maynor for Gerald Green.

Maynor has fallen to 3rd PG and OKC at least runs enough to ponder the appeal of GG playing garbage minutes.

Maynor is 6'3" with good pure PG skills and I think he'd run the second unit better than DJ, but then again something has held him back so who knows.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Goyle View Post
    Nope. For his production last season, the contract we gave him should have been a steal. It's easy to say "THEY DIDN'T SCOUT HIM ENOUGH" now that he's been so bad. I'll sign a guy scoring 13ppg on great percentages every single offseason. It's going to work out more often than not.

I hear ya, but look at Green's career b4 that. That is why I never understood giving Green a fully guaranteed contract. If he his career had been different, then I could better understand the fully guaranteed contract, but it wasn't. Walsh took a flyer, and it's bit him in the ***. It's this type situation where you try and protect yourself from a player not producing. Thus a contract with unguaranteed year/years or a team option. If the player produces, the team just picks up the unguaranteed year, if the player doesn't produce the team doesn't pick up the unguaranteed year.

Overall, I'd grade the off season with Mahinmi as good, Augustin as not so good but only on a 1 year deal, and Green, I'll be polite, a poor decision based on the type of contract he was given.