Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • 6th man

16 36.36%
  • Starter

28 63.64%

Thread: Granger's return

Default Granger's return

How soon will it happen and do you think he will start or be our new 6th man?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Granger's return

You should ask Mike Wells and Mark Boyle on twitter. I heard they know and just aren't telling.

@MikeWellsNBA and @Mark_J_boyle

Tell your friends to do the same.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

First one i dont know.. Ill just take a wait and see approach on this one.

And normally i would say: never change a winning team to much when you dont have much time to gel before you need to peak.. But Lance, the creator he is, fits so much better in the second unit, so i have to say; Granger as starter. Not right away. Give him some minutes in the second unit, let him get used to playing.. And than slowly putting him between the starters and Lance into the second unit. When i read it like this, easy thing to do!
    Last edited by DEEman; 02-21-2013 at 04:29 PM.
    Proud owner of 'Dutch Pacers'

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

if he really is THAT ready, start him and see what happens lol quite frankly I wouldn't be upset with him having the role of either one honestly as long as he is still Danny Granger

We're winning so there's absolutely no rush to bring Granger back and risk futher damage.

Granger will start off on the bench but will eventually make his way to a starting role again
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MillerTime For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

It doesn't matter to me who starts.....what matters is who closes.

I think that Granger and PG will only play together for about 18 to 22 mpg anyway....where the majority of the time...we will likely see Granger and PG paired with Lance....so I don't think it really matters.

The question is who will close. I think that Lance brings something to the floor that no one else does.....dribble penetration that leads to scoring or some pass to an open Player. Granger just doesn't do that.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

J7F

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It doesn't matter to me who starts.....what matters is who closes.

I think that Granger and PG will only play together for about 18 to 22 mpg anyway....where the majority of the time...we will likely see Granger and PG paired with Lance....so I don't think it really matters.

The question is who will close. I think that Lance brings something to the floor that no one else does.....dribble penetration that leads to scoring or some pass to an open Player. Granger just doesn't do that.
    How does he get his 5 fta then?
    "Danny Granger is one of the top players in the league. To move Danny, you better get a lot back." - Larry Bird

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cgg View Post
    And that was his lowest number in years!

It baffles me that people don't think Danny gets to the basket when he normally gets 5-7 FTA a game on an annual basis

I actually have a profound feeling of dread anytime Lance starts to dribble and a huge sense of relieve when he doesn't pull up for an off balance shot and passes it instead.
    "Danny Granger is one of the top players in the league. To move Danny, you better get a lot back." - Larry Bird

This will surely be met with much skepticism, but I think it would almost be wise to play Danny with the 2nd unit, AND move Sam Young into Lance's spot with the starters.

If we roll Danny out with the DJ, OJ, Tyler and Ian, teams are going to immediately double Danny making him virtually useless, unless the other guys step up big. If we have a 2nd unit of

DJ
    Lance
    Danny
    Tyler
    Ian

That is a decent amount of offensive firepower, with Lance's ability to create as well as DJ's ability to find the open man and knock down open 3's. Then you've got Tyler and Ian cleaning up the glass and getting put backs. Also provides great size on the 2nd unit.

Just an idea
    Grown Man Ball

Mood

Vogel was on Jim Rome yesterday and he said briefly he will be brought off the bench(but then be a starter when he is ready). I DVRed it on the CBS sports channel.

Our second unit is either

DJ
    Lance
    Danny
    Tyler
    Ian

or

DJ

Lance
    PG
    Tyler
    Ian

DG and PG will start. One will sub out earlier for Lance, then sub back in and play with Lance. OJ and Young are only going to get filler minutes.

Give him a few games to knock the rust off by coming off the bench. Start blending him in with the starters when he's in game shape. If it ain't working with Granger with the 1st and Lance with the 2nd, switch back. This whole thing is really volatile.

I trust Vogel to make the right decisions.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    Vogel was on Jim Rome yesterday and he said briefly he will be brought off the bench(but then be a starter when he is ready). I DVRed it on the CBS sports channel.
    It baffles me how much this can be argued and discussed. It seems like the authority on this would be Vogel, who is pretty much a straight shooter. And, being as Vogel has been saying exactly as you have state for the last 3 or 4 weeks, i guess I'm surprised this keeps coming up.

Maybe we should just sticky a title that says "Granger Initially Off Bench. Later, Granger Starts".

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

To insure that he is warmed up I would suggest starting the 1st and 3rd quarter for about 6 minutes each at the start.

Mood

initially? Roll him off the bench until he is full go. Then tweak the lineup as needed. Either need him or Lance to really step it up in that second unit.

Let him crush the backups from the other team. I don't think we need to mess with the starting lineup which is capable of beating everyone in the east and I think might be the best starting unit in the east.

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    It baffles me how much this can be argued and discussed. It seems like the authority on this would be Vogel, who is pretty much a straight shooter. And, being as Vogel has been saying exactly as you have state for the last 3 or 4 weeks, i guess I'm surprised this keeps coming up.

Maybe we should just sticky a title that says "Granger Initially Off Bench. Later, Granger Starts".
    Even if he didn't say that--isn't it pretty obvious that is how it would play out? You bring him back slowly, let him play his way into shape and get his rhythm and timing back, then you throw him back into the starting lineup. How many NBA precedents are there for this?

Sports Logo

I think that Lance is better at dribbling, penetrating and ( most notably ) finding the open man than Granger is. How much better? I don't know...but enough for me to say that both Lance and Granger offers a different skillset when both are on the floor.

This doesn't mean that I think that Lance is better than Granger....given Lance's skillsets....I'm saying that I think that Lance complements PG more than Granger complements PG.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

I actually have a profound feeling of dread anytime Lance starts to dribble and a huge sense of relieve when he doesn't pull up for an off balance shot and passes it instead.
    I agree with you on this when Lance started to get more minutes at the beginning of the season....but as he started playing more and became more comfortable handling the ball.....I am more inclined to believe that he will make a good pass to an open Player. Watching him play earlier in the season....I will repeat what I said in one of the earlier game threads:

If Lance is driving to the hoop and you are left open cuz the guy guarding you shifts over to protect the paint from Lance......get ready for a pass....cuz Lance will not only see it...he will get the ball to you.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I think that Lance is better at dribbling, penetrating and ( most notably ) finding the open man than Granger is. How much better? I don't know...but enough for me to say that both Lance and Granger offers a different skillset when both are on the floor.

This doesn't mean that I think that Lance is better than Granger....given Lance's skillsets....I'm saying that I think that Lance complements PG more than Granger complements PG.
    Disagree. I like Lance, but he doesn't draw attention and open things up like Granger will.

It really seems like people have forgotten that Danny Granger is a pretty damn good basketball player. He is going to help this team, and with all due respect to Lance, Granger is a much better player at this point in time. That is, of course, assuming his knee holds up.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Disagree. I like Lance, but he doesn't draw attention and open things up like Granger will.
    I'm not saying that Granger doesn't draw the attention of the defense....I'm just saying that both of them do...just in different ways.