Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Thread

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Default Re: Book Thread

Quote Originally Posted by rcarey
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Some interesting stuff you have read there, Mourning. I'm going to look into some of it for sure - especially the book on Mao. I love Chinese history.
    Then you will LOVE this book, really. Superbly written, almost like a thriller sometimes. It really grabbed me. Jung Chang is also the author of "Wild Swans", maybe you have read it aswell?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0743...25#reader-page

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech
    Okay, some you may finid it to be decidedly lowbrow, but I got one for ya:

I found it of interest since I've befriended a pro athlete or two over the years and have even been mistaken for one. I simply couldn't understand why these hoochie mama women act the way they do, fawning over the most unattractive guys around, simply because they're famous.

This book is one woman's perspective on why she did what she did. She names quite a few entertainers whom she had relationships with and describes them. One athlete was Shaq. There was Jay-Z, Bobby Brown (yeah, quite a few were married.) and oters. I'm not a tabloid reading type, but the hook of naming celebs got me, but then the her warped perpsctive on life kept my attention. Read some reviews of this book. I think it's a pretty entertaining, somewhat insightful read.

[Recently a friend of mine was debating on hooking up with a former Pacer-and no, i won't name who it is-, but kept saying that he was kinda old and not very attractive. When I prerssed her on why she gave him her phone number, her answer was "He's a Pacer!"
    I L-I-K-E the cover . Sounds interesting, seriously. I remember a CNN documentary in the 90's that "revealed" dozens of NBA players having multiple kids with multiple wifes and paying HUGE alimony. Pippen, I think, was concluded to have the most kids with the most woman or something like that.

I have always wondered ... WHAT WOMAN WOULD WANT PIPPEN? But, as you stated, it's not about him, but about what he does and sometimes or maybe a lot of times about what they can get from him.

Regards,

Mourning

Hey Mourning, I see you like historical/military type books. Have you ever read
    A Bright Shining Lie: John Paul Vann and America in Vietnam?
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/067...lance&n=283155

Truly outstanding story of a Lt.Colonel whose amazing abilities and contradicting flaws mirror somewhat that entire war. Really the first ground level person to get official Washington to see what was wrong in the approach to the war, and then remarkably rose to a position of very high civilian power and came to believe the war could be won for the South before his untimely death.

Quote Originally Posted by McClintic Sphere
    Hey Mourning, I see you like historical/military type books. Have you ever read
    A Bright Shining Lie: John Paul Vann and America in Vietnam?
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/067...lance&n=283155

Truly outstanding story of a Lt.Colonel whose amazing abilities and contradicting flaws mirror somewhat that entire war. Really the first ground level person to get official Washington to see what was wrong in the approach to the war, and then remarkably rose to a position of very high civilian power and came to believe the war could be won for the South before his untimely death.
    No, haven't read much about Vietnam to be honest. But, this one I will keep in mind. I just had my birthday recently, so I have enough vouchers for books again.

I also plan on reading an extensive book work on Dien Bien Phu. I have seen it a few times now and read small parts in it, beying on the verge of taking it with me several times, but each time the prospect of a Eur 350.00+ bill for books I find interesting made me put this and a lot of other books down , but this one is coming for sure next time.

In the right bookshops I really feel like a small kid in a candystore .

Regards,

Mourning

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning
    Then you will LOVE this book, really. Superbly written, almost like a thriller sometimes. It really grabbed me. Jung Chang is also the author of "Wild Swans", maybe you have read it aswell?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0743...25#reader-page

Regards,

Mourning
    Cool.

The last actual novel (textbooks are boring ) I've read relating to Chinese history was entitled Red Sorghum by Mo Yan. It is a very powerful story that is set in rural China and looks hard at Japanese invasion starting in the 1930s.

Another book I recently read, but focusses more on Korea is titled Lost Names and is written by Richard Kim. I LOVED this one...not sure how much you know about Korea during WWII, but not much is needed to enjoy this...just that Japan's policy during the Pacific War was to rename Koreans with a Japanese surname instead. Richard Kim states that everything that happened in the book actually happened to him while he was raised at that time...

What a great thread, shows some of us still have real lives; I have started and not yet finished

The Omega scroll by Adrian Hage (like da vanici code some say)

No Peace, No Honor, Nixon Kissinger and the betrayal of Vietnam ( great great book, I must finish it soon actually restart reading it as itís very tough to keep pick up and start again.. )

Last book I finished as an autobiography of a Camera Man from down under, recalls his journey in Vietnam, Singapore, Thailand and Africa, remarkable life and story during war torn countries and what he found it
    Last edited by GO!!!!!; 11-12-2008 at 06:48 PM.

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    Here is a product you could undoubtedly use:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm working on 2 books right now.

The first is Predator by Patricia Cornwell. I like her stuff and this one is o.k. so far. I'll probably finish it next week.

The second is The Civil War Years; A Day-by-Day Chronicle. This one will take a while because, as it says, it highlights each day leading up to and through the war. Very interesting facts I'd never read about before. A lot of first person experiences through letters and journals.

Let's try to keep this literary forum on topic, McClintic.

The hippie organization I'm proudly a part of probably knows some people in your commune. I'll hunt you down.

Right now, I'm working on:

Currently reading The Hitchhikers's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.

I'm sure many of you have read it already. I really like it (first 50 pages at least).

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Currently reading alot of Dean Koontz.

Just finished "The Taking" and "Intensity", and just started "Midnight".

BTW, Ragnar, I finally read Memorial Day and Consent to Kill by Flynn. Awesome, I tell you. I want another book by Flynn to come out soon!

Godric - Buechner

Herzog - Bellow

Anansi Boys - Gaiman
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Mood

Stranger in a Strange Land - Robert Heinlein

Desperation-Stephen King

It's about 700 pages long, but it's awesome.
    Life without water is tough, life without air is hard,life with one leg only is wobbly, Life without Reggie Miller, is impossible.

Do Not Trade Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Brunner
    Veteran Austin Croshere, the longest-tenured Pacers player on the roster, has proven reliable when called upon, invariably ready to step in regardless of the circumstance.

"Clinton Wars" by Sidney Blumenthal.

A very long read but well worth it. Good to get an insider's perspective of Clinton's presidency, especially considering how involved Blumenthal was at the end of the impeachment process.

Marley and Me.

Excellent book, especially for All you dog owners out there.

You will laugh, and probably have to fight crying a couple times in the book.
    The book itself is not all about the dog, its about a family and their life while they owned the dog and how they all grew together.

I thoroughly enjoyed it.

www.marleyandme.com

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder
    Currently reading alot of Dean Koontz.

Just finished "The Taking" and "Intensity", and just started "Midnight".

BTW, Ragnar, I finally read Memorial Day and Consent to Kill by Flynn. Awesome, I tell you. I want another book by Flynn to come out soon!
    Thats the problem with reading a living still producing author. You know there will be another one and you just cant stand not having it.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Creature Tech by Doug TenNapel

If the author's name seems familiar, he's the guy who created Earthworm Jim.

I became interested in it because of the religious themes. But honestly they seemed to be just thrown in there, so obviously they needed to be fleshed out some more. It'll be interesting to see how it translates to the big screen but if you liked the movie Hellboy then I'd recommend it you.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1891...05#reader-link
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Just started^

1/2 way thru^

100 pgs in^

just finished^

^I've read maybe 75% of these, but I'm occasionally picking out short stories to read at odd times. I take my story collections really slow

^Listening to on tape when I drive to Indy and back

^Haven't started yet but I'm gonna have to finish it here soon... Cormac is prolly the only dude that could make me watch Oprah

Checking this out of Irwin library at Butler later today...^
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

The Dresden Files books are very, very good if you're into science fiction with a hint of mystery and suspense. I highly recommend them.

Dresden as in the Dresden firebombing mentioned in Slaughterhouse-V, or...?

How do you like "Wild Swans", SIG? I thought it was quite good. Further, I also read about 2 or 3 books at the sametime.

Just finished "IBM and the Holocaust", quite amazing how IBM got their involvement with NAZI-Germany as well closed as they have.

Regards,

Mourning

Excession by Iain M Banks.

Banks is probably my favorite scifi author next to Gibson. He has such a command of the english language and his concepts are sometimes so delightfully cerebral it's hard to challenging, in a good way, to wrap your head around what he is trying to convey, visually.

This is a fantastic book.

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    How do you like "Wild Swans", SIG? I thought it was quite good. Further, I also read about 2 or 3 books at the sametime.

Just finished "IBM and the Holocaust", quite amazing how IBM got their involvement with NAZI-Germany as well closed as they have.

Regards,

Mourning

I'm not really anywhere into it yet. Might dive in a bit tonight if I can get a paper and some studying done. However, I've got a feeling I'm gonna like it. For whatever reason, the history of China and Chinese lit really interest me.

I checked out V. today, and it hadn't been checked out of Irwin in 23 years.