Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Thread

Sports Logo

Default Re: Book Thread

Never heard of Donald James but I will look into him as soon as I get done with Cinnamon Kiss by Walter Mosley. Any suggestion on where to start?

Sandford is not like Leonard at all so I hope you dont go in thinking that. He has a couple of different types of books. He has the detective who hunts down psychos and then he has some hacker novels. The detective ones are the prey series. I enjoy all of his books but he has written more of the Prey series than the Kidd series. I would suggest starting with "The Devils Code"

Stephen Hunter has a long time line. He has stories set in the Spanish Civil war and up in the present day. He has a Arkansas cop and then latter books about that cops son who becomes a military sniper. Lots to chose from there. I think his best work is either "Pale Horse Coming" or maybe "Time to Hunt"

You cant go wrong with any of those books.

To kill a mockingbird
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Berenstein Bears Get in A Fight....

Why Not Us ?

The cover for the new Wheel of Time book is absolutely hideous. Behold.

IndyToad
    Send me someone to hug

Ragnar,

i ve done some thorough research on donald james (google and stuff). the man has written a serie of 3 books with a russian detective as the main character. the titles are

-monstrum
    -the fortune teller
    -vadim

i ve read those 3 and i really enjoyed them i must say

thanks for the advice on sandford and hunter btw

regards

R
    Word on the street is he doesn't want your money, he only wants to please your ears...
    Bum in Berlin on Myspace

Sports Logo

The Donald James books seem to be hard to come by in Fort Wayne, IN. I am going to just get the from Amazon

Quote Originally Posted by indytoad
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The cover for the new Wheel of Time book is absolutely hideous. Behold.

IndyToad
    Send me someone to hug

Ahh he finally released his latest, and if I am correct the last of this series.

The last 3 books were tough to read, maybe it's because I read the series over a 15 year span or so. Or maybe it is just because that ******* is so longwinded. I think I might attempt to read the series from book one again before I jump into Knife Of Dreams.

I Just finished the last R.A. Salvatore book to come out, the Two Swords, which was good of course, but maybe not as good as some of the other books concerning a certain Drow Elf. I am looking forward to The Promise of the Witch King, his new one that is coming out real soon if it's not out already. I think Jarlaxle and Entreri are much more interesting characters than Drizzt.

PS It isn't that bad toad, a bit raw but hey it's a fantasy novel

Cheers, and happy reads,
    Burt

Okay, some you may finid it to be decidedly lowbrow, but I got one for ya:

I found it of interest since I've befriended a pro athlete or two over the years and have even been mistaken for one. I simply couldn't understand why these hoochie mama women act the way they do, fawning over the most unattractive guys around, simply because they're famous.

This book is one woman's perspective on why she did what she did. She names quite a few entertainers whom she had relationships with and describes them. One athlete was Shaq. There was Jay-Z, Bobby Brown (yeah, quite a few were married.) and oters. I'm not a tabloid reading type, but the hook of naming celebs got me, but then the her warped perpsctive on life kept my attention. Read some reviews of this book. I think it's a pretty entertaining, somewhat insightful read.

[Recently a friend of mine was debating on hooking up with a former Pacer-and no, i won't name who it is-, but kept saying that he was kinda old and not very attractive. When I prerssed her on why she gave him her phone number, her answer was "He's a Pacer!"
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I just finished Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle. Great book.

The Book Thread! Long time no see.

Well, I'm currently reading 'The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes'. Don't know if I'll be able to finish it some day, it's over 1000 pages and is written in tiny, tiny letters...

Not bad though.
    Word on the street is he doesn't want your money, he only wants to please your ears...
    Bum in Berlin on Myspace

Mood

Yeah, I figured it was time to bring it back, especially after such a great read.

Prince Caspian
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

My 5th grader just finished Hoot by Carl Hiaasen. She absolutely loved it. I guess I'll have to buy her Flush for her birthday. And take her to the Hoot movie when it comes out this spring.

I'll have to keep her away from the rest of my Hiaasen books for a couple of years, though.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Well, I'm currently reading The Uses of Literacy in Early Mediaeval Europe, Rosamond McKitterick, ed.

So if anyone wants to discuss it ...
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    Well, I'm currently reading The Uses of Literacy in Early Mediaeval Europe, Rosamond McKitterick, ed.

So if anyone wants to discuss it ...
    Ugh...

I'm currently working on a paper centralized around Sir Francis Drake, and how historical opinion has changed on his explorations and character over the past 400+ years.

Therefore, I've been reading historians from the 16th century, 17th century, 18th century, 19th century, 20th century, and 21st century. And although the 16th century is far from being early Medieval, it is certainly no fun to read. The only thing that keeps me awake is stumbling across the word "f uck" once in a while...which of course, was read to mean "suck" at the time.

Last year, I actually took a Medieval Europe class, which required us to read about 4-5 primary sources each week. That was torture.

Hmmm - some of the books that I'm currently reading? (I'll spare people with the countless works on Drake or boring texts)...

Ordinary Men - Christopher Browning
    Weimar and the Rise of Hitler - A.J. Nicholls
    Walls - Hiltgunt Zassenhaus
    The Struggle For Stability in Early Modern Europe - Theodore Rabb

sweabs

A follow-up to Christopher Browning's Ordinary Men...

This is a tough read; not in the sense that it's difficult to ascertain and comprehend, but just the subject matter itself (looks at Reserve Police Battalian 101 and critically analyzes what caused these men to do the things they did within the context of the Holocaust).

It doesn't shy away from anything. There are primary documents/sources used throughout, and that just makes it even more unbearable. I honestly couldn't take more than 30-40 pages at a time.

I just read Doomsday Conspiracy By: Sidney Sheldon......I'm too tired to write anyting about it, if anybody else has read it..let's discuss, but if you haven't ahhh...who cares.
    Life without water is tough, life without air is hard,life with one leg only is wobbly, Life without Reggie Miller, is impossible.

Do Not Trade Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Brunner
    Veteran Austin Croshere, the longest-tenured Pacers player on the roster, has proven reliable when called upon, invariably ready to step in regardless of the circumstance.

Mood

Read Galapagos and Mother Night. They were both very good, I liked Galapagos more. I've really been on a Vonnegut kick here lately.

Crashing The Borders: How Basketball Won the World and Lost Its Soul at Home - Harvery Araton

I havent finished it yet only a few chapters in but I have noticed this guy doesnt like the pacers. He does a lot of blaming for the Fight at the Palace in this that frankly I almost stopped reading the book cause of his bias reporting. But the second chapter was better covering the lead up to the 92 Olympic games where the Dream Team and Globalization of the NBA started. it is pretty interesting so far, but I will keep you all posted.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

I always read atleast two books at the sametime, I don't really know why.

I've just finished reading "The Hitler Book: The Secret Dossier Prepared for Stalin". A book which was written for only one reader, Josef Stalin. Composed of interviews from the NKVD (pre-KGB secret service in the USSR) during a ten year framework of several captured assistants to Hitler. Quite interesting, easy to read.

Some of the notes by the original, Soviet, editor have been refuted by newer research. Also taken up is an analysis by the german editors who found this piece in a Russian archive without people knowing it even existed.

http://books.guardian.co.uk/news/art...442206,00.html

I finished reading the first real biography of Mao about two months ago. This book is ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS I have read the last few years. It's increadible what Mao got away with going to the top, beying thwarted several times, going down and again up and down. His ruthlesness, ploys and self-centered behavior were beyond belief.

This book was well researched and is VERY WELL and interestingly written and contains a lot of new information, forinstance his plans of starting a world war III with Stalins help by trying to escalate the Korean conflict, his Great Leap Forward which undoubtedly must have been the greatest ever famine by a margin, his blackmailing techniques on everyone really, his wifes, friends, political opponents and allies, the Soviets, Americans, really EVERYBODY! I knew China under his rule was bad, but it really sounds now as North Korea XXL, one big freaking concentration camp where there were years where EVERY CITIZEN had to write "self critics" all of which were read by the authorities.

There's too much to tell about this book, but if you are into history OR politics this is in my view a MUST READ even if China doesn't interest you much, the way in which it was written makes it a book I just had to keep reading and reading.

http://books.guardian.co.uk/news/art...ticle_continue

I am now halfway with "Dictators" from Richard Overy. A mainly political comparison between Hitlers Germany and Stalins USSR, how they could have existed and what parts of the population supported them and why. It's a bit dry at times, but the research is good and some of the points he makes are not exactly what you would have expected normally, you will have to be interested in this stuff though, otherwise you might find it a little boring.

http://books.guardian.co.uk/reviews/...ticle_continue

Another book I have read about 2/3 now is from a writer most military history readers will know, Robert D. Kaplan (with amongst other functions a steady correspondent for the Atlantic Monthly) with his book "Imperial Grunts, The American Military on the Ground".

A good read. He is in favour of the policy the Bush Administration has employed since sept 11th, so the book is not as critical as it could have been on certain points, but credit where it is due ... It is a very good and interesting read.

I knew a lot of the things he describes, but getting the context and the direct and factual describtion off the troops, their operating and operations he went to with them are very interesting and visual. Good read, not too complicated, but that isn't at all needed in his book.

Lots of details about the current struggles throughout the world and how some societies function or better how they don't function (Jemen and Colombia come to mind) and seen from the eye's of him as a person and the troops (special forces, retired military advisors, Marines and Army troops) he spend time with IN the actual conflict zones.

http://www.terrorism-research.com/re...eqp=1400061326

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

sweabs

Some interesting stuff you have read there, Mourning. I'm going to look into some of it for sure - especially the book on Mao. I love Chinese history.