Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Thread

Default Re: Book Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Separation of Power by Vince Flynn just arrived.

I'll be starting it tomorrow. Then, Executive Power will be up next.

Vince Flynn > Tom Clancy
    I just tried Memorial Day by Flynn. I didn't like it too much. I kept feeling like I was reading about the Terrell Owens of the CIA.
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

I also finished Pippi Longstocking with my little girl in our nitey-nite reading. The book is much less charming than I remembered. Little brat. We're starting the Light Princess by G. McDonald, and A Wrinkle in Time (L'Engle, can't wait) is on deck.

If you get a chance, going back and reading some of the children's classics is really fun. More so with your own children!
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

Vicious,
    Anne of Green Gables and The Secret Garden were both big hits with our daughter, who is seven; if your daughter is in that elementary range she might dig those.
    Wrinkle in Time is classic. Loved that as a kid and the movie they made a few years ago surprisingly didn't ruin it.

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious Tyrant
    I just tried Memorial Day by Flynn. I didn't like it too much. I kept feeling like I was reading about the Terrell Owens of the CIA.
    Have you read any Flynn before Memorial Day?

My favorite is Transfer of Power. Memorial Day was my least favorite.

I've not read anything else, if you say its worth another try I might do it - but the Rapp guy reminded me too much of those weird campus safety officers I used to work with who fantasize about quelling riots and reading magazines like "Narc Cop" or "Soldier of Fortune", the book was like their wet dream - "only the homocidal psycho agent REALLY understand what needs to be done!!!!"

After the Harry Potter hype, I have been trying to pitch the "His Dark Materials" trilogy by Philip Pullman. Kind of books for young people, but they kick Harry Potter a$$$! Check out the Amber Spyglass [edit - check that, AS is the last of the series. Golden Compass is where to start] if you're interested. Really dark for young people, so be warned.

Nerd.
    Mood

"Dancing Naked in the Mind Field" by Kary Mullis.

Kary Mullis won a Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 1993 for his INVENTION of the method for Polymerase Chain Reaction...

Just right in the middle of Ken Kesey's, "One Flew over the Cuckoos Nest". I highly recomend "Sometimes a Great Notion" too......Kesey is just great.
    Dallas Clark>Tony Gonzalez

Sports Logo

Vicious if you prefer an anti hero might I suggest Tim Dorsey. He is sort of a cross between Carl Hiassen and Elmore Leonard. The Main character is sort of like Hiaasens one eyes former Governor but more dark like a Leonard character. So far I have only read two of them (I just found his books) but they have been great.

While I dont remotely agree with Hiaasens politics his books are always entertaining and Dorsey is just as good.

I'm about 3/4 through A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby......

Finished The DaVinci Code last night.....

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat
    Finished The DaVinci Code last night.....
    You just had to go there, didn't you? Let me guess, it made Oprah's book-of-the-month club.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    You just had to go there, didn't you? Let me guess, it made Oprah's book-of-the-month club.
    Nope. Kelly Ripa's Book Club........

Sports Logo

Stryder have you read Memorial Day yet?

I was out of town on Tuesday but on Wednesday it hit me that the new Flynn was out so I ran to the bookstore and picked it up. I got about half way through it last night and so far it is right up there with all of his other books.

When I was standing in line I noticed a new Walter Mosley book too and picked that up. Has anyone seen Devil in a Blue Dress with Denzel Washington? If so that is a story written by Walter Mosley and he has an entire series of books with Easy Rawlins in them that are excellent.

Nerd.
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar
    Stryder have you read Memorial Day yet?

I was out of town on Tuesday but on Wednesday it hit me that the new Flynn was out so I ran to the bookstore and picked it up. I got about half way through it last night and so far it is right up there with all of his other books.

When I was standing in line I noticed a new Walter Mosley book too and picked that up. Has anyone seen Devil in a Blue Dress with Denzel Washington? If so that is a story written by Walter Mosley and he has an entire series of books with Easy Rawlins in them that are excellent.
    No, I have not read Memorial Day yet. It is still on my list, but it got pushed back a little due to some other new books I received from Barnes and Noble.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator..........

Sports Logo

Holy Cow I cant believe this book. Stryder you need to hurry up and read Memorial Day so you can get to this one. I know you prefer the paperbacks but this one is worth the 20 bucks for the hardback. You cant wait a year on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    "You're a Naughty Child and that's Concentrated Evil Coming out the Back of You".

Solid read.
    Every question you wanted to know about cannibalism but were afraid to ask...

A good book that you can really sink your teeth into..

Why Not Us ?

Mood

I've been reading The Definitive Guide to Samba 3, but it's not very exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator..........
    Our kids must be in synch here. We just finished with Chuck and the cc and are starting on Chuck and the GGE. Here's to Roald Dahl.

I'm half way threw reading the Omega Scroll. I'd recommend that to anyone...

I read like the first half in the 3 days... and then i bought a car and have read 2 pages since.....

Awesome Book tho.. i hear it's like Ahem " davinici code '

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

Nerd.
    Mood

Holy Cow I cant believe this book. Stryder you need to hurry up and read Memorial Day so you can get to this one. I know you prefer the paperbacks but this one is worth the 20 bucks for the hardback. You cant wait a year on this one.
    Upon reading your message about the new book, I went out to Barnes and Noble to get it. It is next in line, right after what I'm currently reading:

Heinlein's "Time Enough For Love"...

Sports Logo

I would still read Memorial Day first. In Consent they talk about things that happen in Memorial Day. I just finished Consent (had to put it down to watch the game for a while) Now I have to wait a year or so for another Flynn fix.

Cant complain about Heinlein.

That sounds like an interesting book but I have not picked it up yet. The last Heinlein I read was Friday and it kind of put me off him for a while. Let me know if it is worth a read.

Nerd.
    Mood

I would still read Memorial Day first. In Consent they talk about things that happen in Memorial Day. I just finished Consent (had to put it down to watch the game for a while) Now I have to wait a year or so for another Flynn fix.

Cant complain about Heinlein.

That sounds like an interesting book but I have not picked it up yet. The last Heinlein I read was Friday and it kind of put me off him for a while. Let me know if it is worth a read.
    Sorry, I mistyped. I mean, I would read Memorial Day after what I am currently reading. Then, I'll read Consent to Kill.

Geeze, I need to go to bed. Haha.

Sports Logo

Gotcha

Ahhh a books thread. Now this I can get into. Lets see most recent books read.

John Sandford - Hidden Prey and The Hanged Mans Son

Elmore Leonard - Unknown Man #89 and Mr. Paradise

I love all the Sandford and Leonard books. I picket up Glitz (Leonard) Saturday and have Tapestry of Spies by Stephen Hunter next in line.

Anyone know any good authors like Hunter, Leonard, Sandford? I have read most of these books and all of many other authors but I am always looking for new authors.
    leonard is great; don t know sandford or hunter though, i will try them once (that is : one of their books)

maybe you should try donald james (if you don t happen to know him yet). he has a different style than leonard but if you like mr elmore you ll probably like james too
    Word on the street is he doesn't want your money, he only wants to please your ears...
    Bum in Berlin on Myspace