Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Thread

Default Re: Book Thread

Just finished Pirate Hunter: The True Story of Captain Kidd Pretty good. Amazing how they can dig up so many 300 year old records.

Also recently got caught up on A Song of Fire and Ice (finished 3 of 7). Book 4 is later this year.

I think I will read 1776 by McCullough next. Anybody read it yet?

Sports Logo

I just finished the Burglar in the Rye and Burglar on the prowl.

I had read Block's Scudder series (I think I got them all anyway) and his hit man books but for whatever reason I had not picked up the Burglar books.

I guess it was the titles or something but I ended up really enjoying these two. I think I will head over to Hyde brothers tomorrow and try to get the rest of them.

Harry Potter 6 comes out in 1 day!!! WOOHOO!!!!
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

We're reading The Magician's Nephew with my son at bedtime. A couple of more nights to go.......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Hey, Narnia rocks! My favorite was Dawn Treader
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I'm reading Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Another great one....I havent finished that series yet

Sports Logo

The last Burgalar book I read mentions John Sandford's Prey series. So I went read the most recent one and it mentions the Burgalar series. Now I am off on another of those.

Just found this thread, I read all the time, usually about three books at once:

Just finished "Under & Alone" by Billy King, they are making a movie about it, its a true story of an ATF agent who went undercover in a outlaw motor cycle gang. Highly recommend.

Currently reading "The Onion Field" by Joseph Wambuagh

Almost done with "A soldier's Story" The autobiography of WWII General Omar Bradley

Recently finsished "Patton: A genious for war", "Shooter" forget the authors name but its an autobiography of the current top Marine Sniper. It was excellent as well. And "Delta Force" by Eric Haney, autobiography again, about one of the first enlisted members of Delta Force, another excellent read.
    "I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post."

--Jack Nicholson as Colonel Nathan Jessup in A Few Good Men

Sports Logo

Finished Burgalar who thought he was Bogart. Going to try a Kellerman next.

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Harry Potter 6 comes out in 1 day!!! WOOHOO!!!!

I actually finished that Monday afternoon. I'm amazed that these books get better and better.

This last one definately throws some curveballs in there. I highly doubt there's just one book left to write. If it is the last one, then it's going to be about 1000 pages long.

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I just finished Time Is The Simplest Thing by Clifford Simak. It's a very interesting book, one that does an amazing job of analyzing the human psyche. It's a book that applies to each and every era of human existence and will continue to do so until our species dies out.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder
    Heavy. What did you think?
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat
    We're reading The Magician's Nephew with my son at bedtime. A couple of more nights to go.......
    Aaaaah....

Hey, there is no :howsweet: smiley!
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder
    Outstanding. I have a marked up and dog-eared copy tucked away in my basement. That really made an impression on me during my formative years. Loved the whole concept of quality and how he differentiated between classical inductive/deductive reasoning and intuition using the analogy of motorcycle maintenance.

^^^ Aah, yes McClintic. Thank you. Just what I was about to say...

:cough:intellectual:cough:

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McClintic Sphere
    Outstanding. I have a marked up and dog-eared copy tucked away in my basement. That really made an impression on me during my formative years. Loved the whole concept of quality and how he differentiated between classical inductive/deductive reasoning and intuition using the analogy of motorcycle maintenance.
    It took me a while to finish it, but that was good.

I cannot explain it better with any other words but yours above.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86
    I actually finished that Monday afternoon. I'm amazed that these books get better and better.

This last one definately throws some curveballs in there. I highly doubt there's just one book left to write. If it is the last one, then it's going to be about 1000 pages long.

I'm really curious to see how Jo goes with this one. How in the world is going to get all of the horcruxes? That is what I want to know

I'm really curious to see how Jo goes with this one. How in the world is going to get all of the horcruxes? That is what I want to know
    I think they have already been gathered in one place. -think kreacher-

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    I think they have already been gathered in one place. -think kreacher-
    I was thinking that, but they aren't ALL in one house, I mean that would be incredibly stupid, and I'm sure Dumbledore might have thought of that.

But I did remember reading about a locket in that house. It's probably already been destroyed.

But I don't think that RAB was Regulus Black. It seems too obvious, and I don't think he would hurt Voldemort because he was a Death eater. I mean, he did want to get out of it, but by Sirius' words, he sounded like a bit of a moron. And you need to be somewhat intelligent to find the horcruxes

I was thinking that, but they aren't ALL in one house, I mean that would be incredibly stupid, and I'm sure Dumbledore might have thought of that.

But I did remember reading about a locket in that house. It's probably already been destroyed.

But I don't think that RAB was Regulus Black. It seems too obvious, and I don't think he would hurt Voldemort because he was a Death eater. I mean, he did want to get out of it, but by Sirius' words, he sounded like a bit of a moron. And you need to be somewhat intelligent to find the horcruxes
    Regulus was killed for betraying Voldemort.

I don't think they are in the house anymore, but gathered. Remember the mundungus guy, he made off when all the stuff.

I finished Harry Potter IV. Not my favorite. Less mystery and a few too many characters. But that could have been because I was reading my EW starting in the back and missed the HP spoiler warning posted at the beginning...

Also reading Hezrog by Bellow.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian
    I finished Harry Potter IV. Not my favorite. Less mystery and a few too many characters. But that could have been because I was reading my EW starting in the back and missed the HP spoiler warning posted at the beginning...

Also reading Hezrog by Bellow.
    You'll get tons of mystery with 6

I hate the Romans. I meant VI, the latest one.

I still liked it and I think finding out who killed whom before I read the book spoiled the shock of the first reading for me.