Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Thread

Default Re: Book Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Burtrem Redneck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    About the roots of Reggae or ska? I love the old reggae music.
    Yeah, sort of. It's got some antedotal stuff about Bunny Lee and Lloyd Daley and Lee Perry. The focus is on the development of the label in the UK (and Island records too) and that's pretty interesting in itself.

The book on reggae that I read recently that you'd probably really really enjoy is 'Solid Foundation: An Oral History of Reggae' by David Katz (who also did a great Lee Perry book btw). He had access to interview virtually everyone who was anyone if they were still alive and it's very well written so it tells a story and has a good flow to it (it's not just a bunch of interviews thrown together). The Katz book mostly concerns itself with the pre-Reggae era through what would more or less be the end of the 70s/early 80's. Of course that means lots of great stuff on the pioneers of ska, rocksteady and early reggae

Amazon link: http://tinyurl.com/dur2w

I like the old stuff the best. I'm fascinated by King Tubbys mixing innovations. I think of the pre reggae era like the mid 60s. Roots Reggae was pretty much on the decline come the mid 80s.
    cool stuff

I'm with you on that. I don't really listen to anything past about '78 or '79 unless it's modern dub stuff like on-u sound or dry and heavy. i picked up a new king tubby record last weekend that took a while but i finally hunted it down: 'king tubby meets the aggrovators at dub station' yes! you'd enjoy that 'solid foundation' book if that's the period you're into. great stuff in there.

I finished Bob Dylan's Chronicles, Volume 1 last night. I found it to be very entertaining.......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I read The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe entirely last night.

I was geeked after seeing the teaser trailer for the movie coming out in December.

I've always had a fascination with Narnia.

Star Wars-Darth Maul:Shadow Hunter

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm currently reading First Men In The Moon by H.G. Wells. You have to really forget what we know about the moon to enjoy it, but it's pretty good so far. I picked up the book Place Names of San Antonio to day. It explains the origins of street, school, and other points of interest names. Not for everyone, but it will satisfy the history bug in me for a while.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious Tyrant
    Hmmmm, I've never read any of the Foundation books, but if they are being recommended by and Ender fan....maybe I'll check them out.

I also enjoy Arthur C Clarke - Childhood's End, Fountains of Paradise.

Heinlein, too....when he's not too wrapped up in sixties style free love....
    If you get them go with Foundation, Foundation and Empire and 2nd Foundation. Give the other ones a miss. He wrote the first three in the 50's and wrote the others in the 80's

I like some Heinlein, Moon is a Harsh Mistress was good and so was Starship Troopers. But I agree about the 60's free love thing. Friday could have been so much better had it not been for that.

Have you read any Brin? Practice Effect and The Postman are must reads. If you saw the movie Postman you are probably thinking I am insane saying this but the book is great. And if you have not read practice effect stop whatever you are doing and go get it now.

I have not read a lot of Clarke but I keep meaning to. I read The Hammer of God and thought it was very good.

There is a hard to find book by Greg Costikyan called First contract. (Yes I wrote Contract not contact.) Its like a lesson in economics hidden in a really good sci-fi book.

Hmmmm... thanks for the recommendations.

You know, Postman the movie clearly sucked, but I remember thinking it was such an interesting story idea. First contract sounds good - the title make me think of Sagan's Contact, which I thought was a great book.

For Clarke, I'd recommend 2001 or Childhood's End, but most all of his stuff is good.

Starship Troopers was just fantastic, and Moon is a Harsh Mistress was kind of a political primer in a SF book, kind of like the other book you mentioned.
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder
    I read The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe entirely last night.

I was geeked after seeing the teaser trailer for the movie coming out in December.

I've always had a fascination with Narnia.
    You know, I grew up in the evangelical culture, where Lewis is GREATLY revered, but I never liked the Narnia books. The symbolism kind of smacks you over the head with a mallet (OK, OK, C.S., Aslan is like Jesus, I got it.....).

What do you like about the Narnia books?

Movie could be fun, though.
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

You know, I grew up in the evangelical culture, where Lewis is GREATLY revered, but I never liked the Narnia books. The symbolism kind of smacks you over the head with a mallet (OK, OK, C.S., Aslan is like Jesus, I got it.....).

Woah Woah Woah, Aslan is Jesus? I didn't know that. I also haven't read the book since 5th grade, so I might have to pick it up again.

Sports Logo

I never got into Narnia either and I grew up in a similar home from the sounds of it. All of my cousins and my brother loved the Narnia books, I was the only one who had Zero interest in them.

Starship Troopers is a great example of why you should read Postman. The movie was not very good but the book was tremendous. Postman was possibly the worst movie ever made and the book is one of the best

Quote Originally Posted by pollardfreek
    Woah Woah Woah, Aslan is Jesus? I didn't know that. I also haven't read the book since 5th grade, so I might have to pick it up again.
    Uh, ha ha? Are you joking? I can't tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar
    I never got into Narnia either and I grew up in a similar home from the sounds of it. All of my cousins and my brother loved the Narnia books, I was the only one who had Zero interest in them.

Starship Troopers is a great example of why you should read Postman. The movie was not very good but the book was tremendous. Postman was possibly the worst movie ever made and the book is one of the best
    Postman sounds really good. I just bought a book called Dhalgren at the library book sale today. Ever read it? I've heard great things about it, but never opened it (It's pretty thick and intimidating).

You grew up evangelical? Do you mind if I ask where you are with all that nowdays?

Sports Logo

Ahh that is probably better left for another thread. Plus we may be mixing terms. If by evangelical you mean speaking in tongues then no sorry that was my mothers side of the family. If by that you mean my father is a pastor then yes I lived in the fish bowl.

But back to books. I have not read or even heard of Dhalgren. I generally get my books at random. I walk around the book store for a while and just pick up a book that looks good. If I really enjoy it I usually get all the other books by that author.

The odd thing is that I have not read a lot of Brin and I love Postman and Practice effect. I read Sundiver or Sundowner (I cant remember) and just could not get into it and have never picked up another of his books since then. I also have not read a lot of Cards work other than the Ender books.

P.S. Big is not a bad thing in a book. Atlas Shrugged and Cryptonomicon are both big books and I enjoyed them a lot. However the standard for big (War and Peace) is actually smaller than most Tom Clancy books but is so boring that it seems to go on forever.

No, I was being serious. I haven't read the book since I was about 10, and I really didn't know about symbols and diction and things of that sort back then.

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Last week I finished the Foundation Series. I read all 7 books written by Asimov. I definitely enjoyed the first three (Foundation, Foundation and Empire, and Second Foundation) more than the others, but I still found the last four books to be interesting on their own merits. I believe the story of Trevize, Pel, and Bliss in Foundation's Edge and Foundation and Earth was pretty entertaining but fell flat at the end for obvious reasons. Prelude to Foundation and Forward The Foundation were also very interesting, but they seemed rather plodding in nature. I think FTF was easily the best of those two.

I've also read I, Robot and I just began reading another book of short stories by Asimov, Robot Dreams.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Nerd.
    Mood

I just take the books at face value. A good child's fantasy book. Yes, the evangelism could knock Mike Tyson out, but I'm not into that.

I was in elementary school the first time I read the book and the series. It just takes me back to those times as a small kid. I wanted to meet the Fawn. I wanted to see Aslan in real life. I wanted to meet the Professor. Ha.

Yeah, the movie could be fun if they did it right. I hope they did.

Nerd.
    Mood

I'm re-reading Stranger in a Strange Land right now.

OK, we'll leave the religion talk for another thread, but I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to start that....

I remember I, Robot being really good - did anyone see the movie? I suppose I don't even need to ask, but did it suck?

and speaking of Modesty's short stories, has anyone read any of Philip Dick's short stories? Great, great stuff.

To Stryder, I also loved the Narnia books as a kid. I admit I can't stand 'em now, but I can relate to the childhood experience. Up at Taylor U (my alma mater), they have a C.S. Lewis/JRR Tolkein club. They meet every so often to discuss his works and what not. I went a few times for the Tolkein talk, but I'm not fan enough to make the trip. Apparently there is some guy in Indy who made his basement into a perfect model of the pub where Tolkein, Lewis, Williams and the other InkBlots (or whatever their little club was called) met. Pretty cool, I guess....

Ragnar, I agree long isn't really bad, but it long doesn't match my attention span. If I plow through the book, I'll let you know what I think.

By the way, I'm finishing a book called "Samaritan" by Richard Price. Man, he's a good writer. He wrote Clockers and the screenplay to Tom Cruise's Color of Money. If you're looking for a really good new author to try, I recommend him highly.

One of my favorite books, and I liked them a lot even though I'm not Christian (and the books were a gift from some Jewish friends)

Right now I'm reading

Nine Tomorrows by Isaac Asimov
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    Right now I'm reading

Nine Tomorrows by Isaac Asimov
    [Mr. Burns]Excellent...[/Mr. Burns]

Nice to see a good bunch of scifi fans on the board. I don't have to hide in shame anymore when I admit it.

Nerd.
    Mood

Separation of Power by Vince Flynn just arrived.

I'll be starting it tomorrow. Then, Executive Power will be up next.

Vince Flynn > Tom Clancy

Star Wars:Cloak of Deception