Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Book Thread

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Book Thread

I just read Survivor by Chuck Pahlaniuk, it was quite good, and I'll have to pick up some more of his. I also picked up The Color of Magic and will probably start reading that soon.

Survivor and Lullaby are my two favorite Chucky P books.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

I read Dairy. Decent but didn't make me want to read more.

I'm rereading On The Road. When I read it in college I thought Sal was cool. Now I think he is a broader line bum.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

spook country -- William Gibson.

OK. Standard Gibson, which is better than most. Introduces locative art...the 'eversion' of virtual reality. And some cool spy stuff.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Survivor and Lullaby are my two favorite Chucky P books.
    Those were the two that sounded the best from the backs, i just chose survivor because it had a more interesting first page (like just because of how it's numbered and chaptered)

I've never been able to get into Chuck P's stuff.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Mood

He guards it very closely, so that doesn't surprise me.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian View Post
    I'm rereading On The Road. When I read it in college I thought Sal was cool. Now I think he is a broader line bum.
    How dare you.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

If you think Sal Paradise is a glorified hobo, you might be over 30. As I read it I just want to tell him to get a hair cut.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Mood

There are nights where I think Sal Paradise was right, boys and girls in america, they have such a sad time together.

I've just started Mistaken Identity, about the two girls who were involved in the Taylor University crash.

Talk about emotional piece. I'm only about 80pages in and it's some hard reading.

I'm almost finished with A Game Of Thrones. It's really quite good, but I don't think I can catch up with the series before the next one comes out.
    That'll do.

Horologist Extraordinaire t1hs0n's Avatar

I am reading a book called "A Short History of Nearly Everything" at the moment. It is quite interesting.

Apperently Edwin Hubble of telescope fame was quite the douchebag. Who would have known?

Mood

Have you read any of Bryson's other books? he writes some really good travel books, just like about his trip not like boring "where to see in blah blah" books.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Im just starting to read Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs by Chuck Klosterman. My English professor had us read the first essay in it and I thought it was hilarious. He recommended the book and since I am flying from Harrisburg to California today I figured this is a good time to read.

Horologist Extraordinaire t1hs0n's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Nash View Post
    Have you read any of Bryson's other books? he writes some really good travel books, just like about his trip not like boring "where to see in blah blah" books.

No, I have not. I started reading something else just the other day, so I will have to que up some of his other works to read later.

Now that I'm in a car for three plus hours a day, I've been listening to audiobooks on my iPod.

Last week, I listened to Angler by Barton Gellmann. This is about the Cheney Vice Presidency. It's not a positive book, but I found it to be very interesting. It portrayed someone who probably would be a fantastic CEO. Cheney was very principled, though he followed those principles in pursuit of an ideology that I find somewhat questionable, at least in the context of the unitary executive. Though critical of Cheney, I felt that Gellmann made him more human, pushing away from the Darth Vader caricature and more towards the basic motivation. I don't expect everyone to like the book, and I'm certainly not trying to push a political view, but it is an in depth study into one of the most active Vice Presidencies in history.

I'm currently listening to the second of three books by Sarah Vowell. The first was The Assassination Vacation, which basically tours sites of the assassinations of Lincoln, Garfield, and McKinley, giving you a lot of backstory. It's humorous, but it has more lefty leanings in some of the editorial content. There are long stretches where it's just about the history, but, in fair warning, when it talks about today, she's an unabashed Bush hater, for lack of a better word.

The book I'm listening to now is called The Partly Cloudy Patriot. It is really more political, so I seriously doubt any Republicans would particularly like it. Some of the harangues I find funny, but only because I dismiss them as rants. I don't try to find truth in them. Again, she's a history buff, so there are a lot of good nuggets.

Any way, the reason I bring this up is that Ms. Vowell, despite hovering somewhere to the left of witchcraft on the political scale, has earned a special place in my heart by, in the latter book, referring to two of my greatest (non-sexual) loves in the period of five minutes.

First, she referred to her friend Doug (I'm pretty sure it's Doug Petrie), who was a writer on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and talked about how it was one of her all time favorite shows (as it is mine...and, OK...there might be a little sex involved in that one). A scant few minutes later, when talking about being a sports and art, she says:

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Vowell
    Great athletes are no different from great artists. To me, Reggie Miller shooting a perfect free throw is as beautiful to look at as the bust of Nefertiti in Berlin's Egyptian museum.
    Two for two.

Any way...if you like that kind of smart *** humor, sort of a low-key Daily Show type stuff, you might enjoy her writing.

Fair warning, she reads her own books, and she's got that nasally half-whiny voice that could drive people batty.

I am reading from Beirut to Jerusalem by Thomas Friedman.

I have read his later works and he as a person seems to be very aloof, but parts of this book are actually very funny and almost read out of something like Hunter S. Thompson.

I'm currently reading Language and History in the Early Germanic World by D.H. Green. Interesting - I've read plenty of history backed by archaeology and plenty supported by text sources but this is the first I've read where historical developments are illustrated by changes in language.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Mood

Read a lot more recently:

The Road - Cormac McCarthy
    Invisible Monsters and Rant - Chuck Pahlaniuk

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    I am reading from Beirut to Jerusalem by Thomas Friedman.

I have read his later works and he as a person seems to be very aloof, but parts of this book are actually very funny and almost read out of something like Hunter S. Thompson.
    I really liked that book, but was less impressed with his later stuff. I'll read his columns relatively regularly. I can never quite get a bead on where exactly he stands, other than he's always a glass half full kind of guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Nash View Post
    Read a lot more recently:

The Road - Cormac McCarthy
    Invisible Monsters and Rant - Chuck Pahlaniuk
    I thought about reading The Road, but I worked so hard at No Country for Old Men that I just didn't have it in me. I read the book, then watched the movie, then listened to the book, twice, then watched the movie again, all the while talking to others who had done more or less the same.

I kept trying to understand the message, but I couldn't get anything more than "Everything is going to hell in a hand basket." I was on the verge of buying into it, but after talking to a number of people, and (oddly enough) reading Fareed Zakaria's The Post American World, I came to the conclusion that he was just morose, and the premise was faulty.

In other words, I thought both the book and the movie were extremely well made (written, acted, directed) horse ****.

Mood

The Road is actually less "woe is mankind" and more "well if mankind is ****ed, what then?" I liked it.

Right now, reading Of The Farm - John Updike. RIP.

Count, I'm not sure McCarthy's books even have the sort of premise you're looking for. In fact, extracting that sort of 'slogan' from a work is going to make a lot of fiction seem trite.

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    Right now, reading Of The Farm - John Updike. RIP.

Count, I'm not sure McCarthy's books even have the sort of premise you're looking for. In fact, extracting that sort of 'slogan' from a work is going to make a lot of fiction seem trite.
    I thought the book was trying to say something. I was trying to figure out what it was trying to say. I used a one liner as short hand. I wasn't looking for a slogan, I was looking for a meaning.

In effect, my point was that I wasn't particularly interested in reading McCarthy because, as talented as he was at crafting his book, I decided that what he had crafted really wasn't worth crafting.

BTW...a lot of fiction is trite.

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    I thought the book was trying to say something. I was trying to figure out what it was trying to say. I used a one liner as short hand. I wasn't looking for a slogan, I was looking for a meaning.

In effect, my point was that I wasn't particularly interested in reading McCarthy because, as talented as he was at crafting his book, I decided that what he had crafted really wasn't worth crafting.

BTW...a lot of fiction is trite.
    I didn't say it wasn't. But even this description here strikes me as a really bad way to read McCarthy's books. And also a good way to make a lot of fiction that isn't trite seem so.