Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Thread

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Book Thread

I just finished White Night, the last (currently) book of The Dresden Files. The next one won't be out for almost a year. I feel a little empty inside now.

I consume tiny briefs Robobtowncolt's Avatar

Please don't spoil any books in this thread. Use dedicated threads for that if you're not planning on using spoiler tags. More than just Soup might be impacted (thanks Jay.)
    Narf!

Agreed, a DH spoiler thread would be a good idea. I'd be in on it in a day or two.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

USS Jonas Ingram DD 938 cactusjack's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Nash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Stranger in a Strange Land - Robert Heinlein
    My all time favorite book by my all time favorite author. I've probably read it fifteen or twenty times since it came out!
    As a tribute the the late, great Kurt Vonnegut, I'm re-reading his books. I just finished Sirens of Titan and I'm about to start Breakfast of Champions.
    Life's a piece of ******
    When you look at it
    Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true.
    You'll see it's all a show
    Keep 'em laughing as you go
    Just remember that the last laugh is on you.
    ------- Eric Idle

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    Agreed, a DH spoiler thread would be a good idea. I'd be in on it in a day or two.
    Done.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Reading Atlas Shrugged right now. Damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by efx View Post
    Hey, I'm gonna start that in a few days here. For an essay contest.

I hope it's good. I hated The Fountainhead.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Currently reading:

L.N. Tolstoy - "War & Peace". Literary masterpiece about early 19th century upperclass in Czar ruled Russia with the Napoleontic wars raging. Very, very good.

Jared Diamond - "Swords, Horses and Germs". Pretty damn good book that floods a theory about why some civilizations spread out and conquered the world, developed new technologies, appliances, etc and why others did not. What was missing in those civilizations, etc? Definitely a good read.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    Currently reading:

L.N. Tolstoy - "War & Peace". Literary masterpiece about early 19th century upperclass in Czar ruled Russia with the Napoleontic wars raging. Very, very good.

Jared Diamond - "Swords, Horses and Germs". Pretty damn good book that floods a theory about why some civilizations spread out and conquered the world, developed new technologies, appliances, etc and why others did not. What was missing in those civilizations, etc? Definitely a good read.

Regards,

Mourning
    Isn't that book called "Gun & Germs & Steel" because you're describing jareds book by that name to a T. Just curious

The last book I read was The Stand by S. King. I started it last fall and finished it this summer with about a 4 month break between sittings. It was long, but it wasn't full of filler like many novels I've read.

Isn't that book called "Gun & Germs & Steel" because you're describing jareds book by that name to a T. Just curious
    Has anyone read Jared Diamond's follow-up, Collapse. I really enjoyed Guns, Germs & Steel and was trying to figure out if Collapse was in the same league.

Ugh.. yeah true. The Dutch translation though. But, yes, correct.

Planning to get "Collapse" after I have finished it.

Baby's First words.....Exciting cover to cover. All 6 pages of 20 or so words and pictures. Best book I've read all week. At least my son thinks so. Then again, he just trys to eat it. So I think he approves of it anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    Has anyone read Jared Diamond's follow-up, Collapse. I really enjoyed Guns, Germs & Steel and was trying to figure out if Collapse was in the same league.
    I'm reading it now - well, I was until the school year started (and I haven't gotten back to it thanks to a relatively large summer reading list). I actually didn't read GG&S, so I can't compare it to anything. This one is a bit slow in my opinion, but not a terrible read.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyron View Post
    Baby's First words.....Exciting cover to cover. All 6 pages of 20 or so words and pictures. Best book I've read all week. At least my son thinks so. Then again, he just trys to eat it. So I think he approves of it anyways.

USS Jonas Ingram DD 938 cactusjack's Avatar
    Mood

If you liked Atlas Shrugged, you should try The Fountainhead. Rand was an excellent writer.

Soupisgood, if you didn't like the Fountainhead, you probably won't care for Atlas Shrugged. It goes even deeper into Rand's Objectivist philosophy.
    Last edited by cactusjack; 08-08-2007 at 01:48 PM.
    Life's a piece of ******
    When you look at it
    Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true.
    You'll see it's all a show
    Keep 'em laughing as you go
    Just remember that the last laugh is on you.
    ------- Eric Idle

I have been reading this great series that has me totally immersed called "Malazan, Book of the Fallen" by Steven Erickson. I just finished book three "Memories of Ice". I have been not getting enough sleep because of these books.

If you enjoy the Fantasy genre and are looking for books that are aimed more at adults than teenagers, you should check them out.

The first book starts off a little hard to follow, he has a very unique writing style and I found myself wondering if I was really reading the first book in the series, as it seemed like it was written as if you knew the background already. But it is still very well written and the 2nd book "Deadhouse Gates" is just amazing.

Anyway check em out.

I just picked up "Lone Survivor" last night. Can't wait to get started.

Its the true story first person account of the lone Navy Seal that survived the Al queda attack in afganistan that killed an entire Seal squad with the exception of himself because he was blown off the side of the mountain by an RPG. He then fought of the alqueda fighters and crawled several miles to a village where the afgani's hid him until US troops were able to rescue him.

A friend of mine told me about the book. I'm a slow reader so it may take me several weeks, but I'm looking forward to reading this one.

Quote Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
    If you liked Atlas Shrugged, you should try The Fountainhead. Rand was an excellent writer.

Soupisgood, if you didn't like the Fountainhead, you probably won't care for Atlas Shrugged. It goes even deeper into Rand's Objectivist philosophy.
    I like Atlas Shrugged a little more than I did The Fountainhead. It's a little less boring.

I think she's kind of clunky as a writer. She's good at keeping suspense (at least within AS), but a lot of her stuff is just... unimaginative. I understand that the point is her philosophy, though, so I kind of get why she does certain things... sort of.

sweabs

Got a couple books for Christmas today.

Just finished reading The Game Within The Game by Walt Frazier. It's a quick read, but he shares some interesting perspectives. He's old-school in his views, and takes a lot of jabs at today's game (but rightfully so in most parts)...but you have to prepare yourself for a lot of "In my day, it was better because.....". I'm not complaining, however, as I found myself agreeing with a lot of what he had to say. It's more of just a warning to those who can't take that stuff. The added bonus is that Clyde wrote it...so you get all of his little rhymes mixed in if you find them as funny as I do.

The other book is Who's Afriad of a Large Black Man by Barkley which I'm looking forward to starting tomorrow.

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
    My all time favorite book by my all time favorite author. I've probably read it fifteen or twenty times since it came out!
    As a tribute the the late, great Kurt Vonnegut, I'm re-reading his books. I just finished Sirens of Titan and I'm about to start Breakfast of Champions.
    I read Breakfast of Champions when it was first published, and was pretty blown away by the scene in which Vonnegut appears to Trout above the interstate median (I-465?) during the blizzard...maybe the one passage from any novel I've read which will stay in my memory the longest.

So. Anyway, were you aware that a novel by Kilgore Trout appeared on the store shelves a few months later? Perfect, I thought, what an absolutely clever gimmick by Vonnegut!

Well, I just read this:

At least one actual published work is attributed to a Kilgore Trout: the novel Venus on the Half-Shell, written by Philip José Farmer but published under the name "Kilgore Trout." For some time it was assumed that Vonnegut must have written it; when the truth of its authorship came out, Vonnegut was reported as being "not amused"; in an issue of the semi-prozine The Alien Critic/Science Fiction Review, published by Richard E. Geis, Farmer claimed to have received an angry, obscenity-laden telephone call from Vonnegut about it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilgore_Trout
    ---------------------------

I still think it was a brilliant move...I wonder if Vonnegut ever came to think so? Probably not, considering the obscenity-laced bit there.

* Hey, rcarey and the newman8r! Do you know what that thing is to the left, and slightly above, the word 'Hey" over there?
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

I'm currently reading The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon. It's quite the fascinating read and unlike anything I've read before. I understand why it's been critically acclaimed.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    The last book I read was The Stand by S. King. I started it last fall and finished it this summer with about a 4 month break between sittings. It was long, but it wasn't full of filler like many novels I've read.

If you like the Stand you will ;love King's Dark Tower series. If his books are the solar system then the Tower is Jupiter. The Stand, Salems Lot, Hearts in Atlantis and many others share characters with the Tower series. It is pretty incredible. I am rereading them this year.

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by kester99 View Post
    * Hey, rcarey and the newman8r! Do you know what that thing is to the left, and slightly above, the word 'Hey" over there?
    Argh...that there looks like a snowflake. Are we getting more damn snow...damn...I'll get the shovel.