Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Thread: Book Thread

Default Re: Book Thread

Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs

Killing Yourself to Live, 85% of a True Story

Eating the Dinosaur

All by Chuck Klosterman - I really, really enjoyed them, but I could see them not being everyone's cup of tea. Mostly pop culture stuff - music, movies, Kobain/Koresh, some great sports essays.

I'm about halfway through Washington's Crossing. Good stuff.
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hunt for Red October Tom Clancy for the umpteenth time

Without Remorse Tom Clancy for the second time

Clear and Present Danger Tom Clancy for third or fourth time

Animal Farm George Orwell for the first time

Still reading the Tom Corbett stuff, and I'm starting Catch 22 in the morning.
    I'm a Tom Clancy fan as well. If you haven't read Executive Decision and The Bear and the Dragon I'd recommend them. They're both pretty long compared to Clear and Present Danger but I enjoyed them. I think some bad guys got some ideas from Executive Decision. Just be sure to tackle them in order.

Read Animal Farm in high school. Loved it. A true classic.

I've also read the entire Dexter series. It is my favorite show on television so I picked up the books. I thought the first one was fantastic as the first season of the show was a near direct replica of the book. The other books have nothing to do with the show. They aren't big thinkers but they're easy beach or plane reading.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs

Killing Yourself to Live, 85% of a True Story

Eating the Dinosaur

All by Chuck Klosterman - I really, really enjoyed them, but I could see them not being everyone's cup of tea. Mostly pop culture stuff - music, movies, Kobain/Koresh, some great sports essays.
    My first college English professor read us an excerpt from Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs, the part where he is complaining about how this girl wants to go see Chris Martin sing about a stupid color. I bought the book shortly after and really enjoyed it. I need to check out more of his stuff.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've started reading up a little bit on the war in Afghanistan in the last couple weeks.

The Only Thing Worth Dying For by Eric Blehm

Tells the story of some of the first special forces who landed in Afghanistan in the earliest stages of the war. Hamid Karzai is a central figure as the book is about the Green Berets who helped bring him to power.

Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell

Written by a Navy SEAL, it focuses a lot on the process of becoming a SEAL which I found greatly interesting. While not mentioned in the book due to it being written before it was awarded, Luttrell's best friend and SEAL team leader was named a Medal of Honor recipient. Only two M.O.H.'s have been awarded in the war in Afghanistan.

Just started War by Sebastian Junger

I haven't read much of it yet but Junger (best known for The Perfect Storm is a fantastic author. The book was written about Junger's trip to Afghanistan to film a documentary. I saw the movie, "Restrepo" last week at the Keystone Art Theater. It's only playing in limited cinemas but I think it is an important film. If it's playing close to you, go see it. It shows exactly what our troops are going through day in and day out over there.

I'd recommend both books. I probably enjoyed Lone Survivor slightly more than The Only Thing Worth Dying For but I'm glad I read both.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Nerd.
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    My first college English professor read us an excerpt from Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs, the part where he is complaining about how this girl wants to go see Chris Martin sing about a stupid color. I bought the book shortly after and really enjoyed it. I need to check out more of his stuff.

I love Klostermann's books.

Nerd.
    Mood

Just finished Dr. Kary Mullis's Dancing Naked in the Mind Field. Love that book. Reread it every year or so.

Currently reading McCarthy's The Road.

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    I'm a Tom Clancy fan as well. If you haven't read Executive Decision and The Bear and the Dragon I'd recommend them. They're both pretty long compared to Clear and Present Danger but I enjoyed them. I think some bad guys got some ideas from Executive Decision. Just be sure to tackle them in order.
    Yeah, I've read all of the Clancy stuff up to probably Bear & Dragon. Didn't read Red Rabbit or the other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    I love Klostermann's books.
    If you like Klosterman, then get the two part podcast of the BS Report from 8/2. Great convo between Simmons and Klosterman about LeBron.