Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Colin Cowherd Pacers Twitter Rant

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Colin Cowherd Pacers Twitter Rant

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On a cold Wednesday night in January when they've been working all day, nonetheless.

People can whine about this being a lame excuse all they want, but if you live in Carmel and get off work downtown at 5 o'clock, then attending a weeknight game against some scrub team isn't a desirable scenario. Driving back home seems silly, because as soon as you get back home you are going to have to turn around and head back downtown. So your only option is to hang around downtown for two hours. So by the time the game is over and you get home, it's 10 o'clock and you've literally been gone since like 8 a.m. You haven't had any time to hang out with the wife or kids. Plus, you literally have to immediately go to bed because you have to get up for work the next morning. If you aren't a diehard Pacer fan, then forfeiting so much of your valuable time on a cold winter's night to see the Pacers play some joke team simply isn't worth it. You'll wait for Friday night when it's far more desirable. Call that a weak excuse if you want, but not everyone's lives revolve around the Pacers. The weekend games seem to get decent attendance, but it's those weeknight games that kill us. They simply aren't desirable for a lot of people.
    Apparently no one met me.

Bedford/Bloomington to Indy is much worse than Carmel to Downtown. I do it. Others can.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    And how did you acquire that personal connection to Reggie? Did he come to your house or save your dog?
    (meant in non-snarky tone)

He made ESPN highlights and was shown on the news, that's how. If someone didn't tell you Reggie was worth watching you wouldn't know he existed. He didn't win you over by being a nice guy and you probably didn't know about him in 1990.

Following up on that - how can the current team make a personal connection to you? You don't follow the team, watch games or do anything that would create a connection to them. So it's self-fulfilling. You don't connect to them so you refuse to connect to them.

Or are you saying that you have tried and you just don't like their brand of basketball, you don't like West's post-game or PG's defense or Hill being a local hero or Roy's personality? I mean that sincerely. If you are saying you took time to take a "listen" to what they are all about and said "nah, not for me, I know everyone else thinks they are a great band but I just don't connect to the music" then that's fine.

But if you are saying "I never liked the Beatles....aren't they the ones that sang Ring My Bell" then that is on you, not the team.

I guess my question to casual fans is the simple one - "what DO you want from this team that they don't currently provide?". In terms of connection to them I mean. Skip the ticket prices or driving distance because Assembly Hall ain't free and it sure as F isn't easy to get to either, not from Indy metro let alone Fishers.
    That's all fair. I acknowledge that I'm not as reachable at 35 as I was at 10 years old. Like I said, part of it has to do with how I've changed and part of it has to do with how the league and team has changed. I now have different responsibilities and and values at 35 than I did at 10 and I don't think that's a bad thing. At 10, all I knew or cared was that Reggie just stuck it to the Knicks (or whoever) and people were talking about the Pacers like a nationally prominent team like they never had before and that was really cool to me. The Pacers/Colts/Yankees/Purdue winning was alot higher in importance to me from 10-20 than it is at 35. I'm not even sure it's possible to develop that same type of connection as I did when I was just a kid.

I feel like I've given plenty of time to the Pacers over the years. While I can't sit through 48 min of regular season NBA basketball anymore, I probably watched large portions of 6-8 regular season games last year when they were playing the Bulls (the local tv team where I live) or I was at someone's house who might have had the NBA ticket or if they happened to be nationally televised. So they have that opportunity to connect to me. They also had all of the playoffs which I think I watched almost all of. It's not as if I completely avoid them but compared to 10 years ago when i probably averaged 75 games a season and playoffs it is a huge dropoff.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    IU bandwagon fans are every where right now.

IU doesn't have attendance problems, beacuse of their massive alumni base. But when IU is down, support from non-IU alum drops off a cliff, and vice versa when they become good again.

We live in a state of frontrunners. Most of my friends are Bulls fans (those that watch the NBA anyways).
    You would think that, but having been in the Bloomington area for the past 11 years that isn't true. IU left a bad taste in everyone's mouth after firing Knight, but they stood behind Davis then Sampson until they each wore out their welcome.

Armon Basset and Kelvin Sampson killed IU in 2008 from a competitive standpoint.

The spirit here in Bloomington for the basketball team hasn't changed, however.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie4Three View Post

3. I'm not an NHL fan. I'm just picking it up more this year and I find it infinitely more watchable than 48 minutes of NBA basketball. Fighting really has nothing to do with my interest in hockey. To be honest, the biggest reasons my interest in the Pacers plummeted were Reggie's retirement, JO's existence, and JOB's coaching. As for the brawl, the main disappointment for me was how Stern handled the whole thing and it really made me less of an NBA fan in general moreso than just losing interest in the Pacers. I appreciate your attempt to take one of many reasons I gave and doing your best to make it look hypocritical but that's a huge reach to make.
    "Just take me to the next block, I can walk from here."

I don't get it. You knew he wouldn't play forever.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Indiana didn't follow the Pacers very well until a big star (Reggie) took the reins. Indiana didn't follow the Colts very well until a big star (Manning) took the reins. Does Indiana appreciate hard-nosed, well-played basketball? Sure we do, and those two stars fit that description. But Indiana fans need to look in the mirror, get off our high horses, and come to grips with the reality that we like stars, too. Stars bring interest. People have to be interested.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Indiana didn't follow the Pacers very well until a big star (Reggie) took the reins. Indiana didn't follow the Colts very well until a big star (Manning) took the reins. Does Indiana appreciate hard-nosed, well-played basketball? Sure we do, and those two stars fit that description. But Indiana fans need to look in the mirror, get off our high horses, and come to grips with the reality that we like stars, too. Stars bring interest. People have to be interested.
    In this same vein, those stars also brought winning. People like winning and they aren't just going to show up overnight. The Colts got lucky that Andrew ended up being all he was supposed to be and more. The Pacers unfortunately had a blip when they had to rebuild, the fans will come back.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post

See. I told you we're the weird ones. The vast majority of people don't bleed sports like we do. If your favorite TV show killed off your favorite character and fired all the writers would you keep watching?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    See. I told you we're the weird ones. The vast majority of people don't bleed sports like we do. If your favorite TV show killed off your favorite character and fired all the writers would you keep watching?
    Two and a Half Men still has a huge viewership. Haha.

Unfortunately.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Unfortunately.
    Now now, you shouldn't air your opinions here. You'll become a martyr.

You would think that, but having been in the Bloomington area for the past 11 years that isn't true.
    It's completely different outside of Bloomington.

Mood

IU really doesn't really need to reach that far, though.

My parents won't live forever either but I'll still miss them when they are gone.

Perhaps this is just how the life of a sports fan goes and you never really replace those favorite players you had as a kid.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

No, I'm saying IU does NOT have wild swings in allegiance. They struggled with stuff just as damaging as the Pacers IMO (cheating coach, alleged drug use by players - EJ suggested this as I recall) and had some losing years. For the most part this actually paralleled the Pacers run of "bad press" followed by sub-par play.

But all along IU fans still showed up. Not to the extent that they are now, but you certainly didn't have "OMG, Assembly is only 25% full" nights. Fans grumbled about the ups and downs, but they still followed the team.
    What percentage of those in attendance at Assembly Hall are a part of the current or past Alumni? My guess is 80%. Mid-Major College teams have the advantage of refreshing their fan base every year. Every year there are a large group of incoming freshmen from other parts of the US that suddenly become IU fans. Their family members tend to start following the team as well. A team like the Pacers will never have that luxury.

The Pacers, since they are still in this period of transition from disappointment to contender, have to go recruit fans.

I was walking around downtown the other day and passed a place on Market. It had the Pacers schedule in the window...and it SHOCKED me. My wife suggested that it was poor marketing by the Pacers to not have more places promoting the team as the big, local "thing". In other cities you see this, even for down teams. Bars and restaurants have schedules and banners, other stores have flyers or smaller signage up or on the counter or whatever.

In the 90's this was true of downtown. You'd see tons of Pacers stuff, at least by 98-2000. That thing suggests who the "home town" team is. Think of your workplace and who has a mini-poster or coffee cup, etc in their work area. For me I've been the only "Pacers fan" in that way for at least 5 years. But I see tons of IU and ND t-shirts, hear the water cooler discussion, etc.

And even through the Pacers heyday you still saw good representation of IU basketball in those same places.

The Pacers had a better season last year than the Colts did, but the amount of signage or things like shirts at Target, etc was dramatically in favor of the Colts. To me those "casual" interactions that remind people who the local team is says the most about their spot in the metro area. And right now it's shocking to see Pacers stuff of any form anywhere outside the BILF.
    I've been shocked as well whenever I've come to town. Why is it that the only place you can purchase Pacers apparel is the Homecourt Gift Shop? I went to 3 stores last year before game 1 of the playoffs again Orlando and couldn't find 1 single Pacers t-shirt or hat. It's hard to even find a Pacers cap at one of the hat stores in the Malls. It reminds me of the 86-88 Pacers years when the team was becoming relevant but no one seemed to notice.

Fans, the local media, and merchants are to blame but it seems like the Pacers marketing has really missed the mark the past couple of years. They're making improvements but they really should try spending some more time on the ground.

I'm creating a thread to discuss ideas to get the Pacers Marketing team to come up with some new strategies.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

You see what I'm saying though? We're the people that see being a Pacers fan as a lifelong endeavor, regardless of what happens. I mean think about it, that's weird. Pretty much the only way I'd stop watching is if they moved. I might say there's others scenarios where I'd stop, but I wouldn't. I might hate watch them, but I'd watch.

Indiana University has the third largest alumni base in the country. Bloomington is a small piece of a really big pie of fans.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Mood

My parents won't live forever either but I'll still miss them when they are gone.

Perhaps this is just how the life of a sports fan goes and you never really replace those favorite players you had as a kid.
    I get it. Yes, we all miss Reggie. That is a given. But moving on is what everyone here has done.

Larkin has retired.
    Reggie retired.
    Manning is gone.
    Dale Earnhardt is dead.

Dude, its and endless cycle. It happens.

Dude, its and endless cycle. It happens. We all like the Pacers (for partially the same reason that you did) but that carried on into newer players, coaches, etc. Life doesn't just stop because you think it should. It keeps going. We're on a roll (finally) and I respect the fact that you don't care for the NBA, I don't either. But if you don't care then maybe this isn't the place for you.
    Last edited by duke dynamite; 02-20-2013 at 01:33 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

I get it. Yes, we all miss Reggie. That is a given. But moving on is what everyone here has done.

Larkin has retired.
    Reggie retired.
    Manning is gone.
    Dale Earnhardt is dead.

Dude, its and endless cycle. It happens. We all like the Pacers (for partially the same reason that you did) but that carried on into newer players, coaches, etc. Life doesn't just stop because you think it should. It keeps going. We're on a roll (finally) and I respect the fact that you don't care for the NBA, I don't either. But if you don't care then maybe this isn't the place for you.
    What I don't get is if he doesn't care for the NBA because all the superstar calls and what not, then this Pacers team is exactly the type of team he should get behind and root for. This team turns that idea on its head. We are the team that beats superstars. Just like we gonna beat Melo and Knicks tonight.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    What I don't get is if he doesn't care for the NBA because all the superstar calls and what not, then this Pacers team is exactly the type of team he should get behind and root for. This team turns that idea on its head. We are the team that beats superstars. Just like we gonna beat Melo and Knicks tonight.
    I agree. But he doesn't like the team anymore because Reggie is gone. That and JO was here.

Last time I checked Jermaine O'Neal was one of the greatest players to put on an Indiana uniform. But OK...

Indiana University has the third largest alumni base in the country. Bloomington is a small piece of a really big pie of fans.
    Right. But the pie still shrinks and expands based off how good IU is. It's the same concept with Pacers fans, or any bandwagon.

Larkin has retired.
    Reggie retired.
    Manning is gone.
    Dale Earnhardt is dead.

But it didn't carry on to new players for me. The years the Pacers had the likes of Jim O'Brien, Troy Murphy, Mike Dunleavy, and most of all Jermaine O'Neal as the core group I absolutely hated watching the team and major parts of it. They completely lost me so it's not like it just rolled over from then to now. There's a large gap there spanning a number of years where I was just completely soured on the team and league.

I'm not going to pretend that I'm convincing people here to agree with me or my reasoning. I'm just trying to offer my perspective on the problem because I think in the long term it could cost the city the team and even though I'm no longer a big fan like I was I think its positive for the city to have the team. Not everyone out there left the Pacers for the same reasons as me but I think there's probably a significant portion like me. How to re-engage that part of your fan base? I don't have a simple answer to that.

I agree. But he doesn't like the team anymore because Reggie is gone. That and JO was here.

Last time I checked Jermaine O'Neal was one of the greatest players to put on an Indiana uniform. But OK...
    He was a "me" player that cared more about getting his 20 and 10 and running his stupid night club than how many wins the Pacers got. IMO the worst day in Pacers history was not the brawl but rather the day they signed him to a long-term max deal. I'm sure that won't be a popular opinion here either but now we're really digressing from the topic of this thread.

Mood

But it didn't carry on to new players for me. The years the Pacers had the likes of Jim O'Brien, Troy Murphy, Mike Dunleavy, and most of all Jermaine O'Neal as the core group I absolutely hated watching the team and major parts of it. They completely lost me so it's not like it just rolled over from then to now. There's a large gap there spanning a number of years where I was just completely soured on the team and league.

I'm not going to pretend that I'm convincing people here to agree with me or my reasoning. I'm just trying to offer my perspective on the problem because I think in the long term it could cost the city the team and even though I'm no longer a big fan like I was I think its positive for the city to have the team. Not everyone out there left the Pacers for the same reasons as me but I think there's probably a significant portion like me. How to re-engage that part of your fan base? I don't have a simple answer to that.
    But these players NOW don't? What are you even doing here then?

Right. But the pie still shrinks and expands based off how good IU is. It's the same concept with Pacers fans, or any bandwagon.
    The alumni pie is consistent though, and it is a much bigger pie than the Pacers have. Just the benefit of college sports vs. pro. I'm not saying colleges don't have bandwagon fans. I'm just saying that for most colleges bandwagon fans are a luxury. In pro sports, you can argue that band wagon fans are a necessity.

Why are you trying to run off someone who's interest in the Pacers is returning?

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post: