Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 159

Thread: Colin Cowherd Pacers Twitter Rant

  1. #76
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,635

    Default Re: Colin Cowherd Pacers Twitter Rant

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do you REALLY expect anything different?

    Other than diehard Pacer fans, who in the hell wants to watch the Pacers play the freaking Kings?
    See my previous post. The Kings fan wants to see the PACERS. Fans like Cowherd are starting to view the Pacers as a team to go see. Heat fans don't go to see the Kings, they go to see the Heat.

    The very idea that you think it's about the other team and only "die hards" would waste their time watching the Pacers says that you view the Pacers as a poor product not worth watching. Cowherd disagrees (like many of us) and is saying that the PACERS PRODUCT is one of the best in the NBA.

    If you think it's worth going to see LAL, MIA, NYK, SAS, NYK or LAC play then you should also want to see IND play...regardless of what city you live in. The fact that the Pacers also happen to be the local team you should root for even when they aren't that good should only bolster the fan interest level to a point above interest in seeing MIA or LAL.

    But Indy metro citizens don't view the Pacers as that caliber of a product. That's the problem. It's not a lack of support for the pitiful home team, it's lack of interest in the best basketball you can see within 180+ miles.

    The instant IU sniffs top status you have everyone in Indy decked out in red, especially the non-IU grad fan types (this has always been an issue). All the "I don't have an allegiance" fans support IU - because Bobby Knight had a perfect season and won a couple more titles. Their kids and grandkids got raised on that in the way that Notre Dame has tons of non-affiliated local fans too.

    The Colts had to beat ND football to death with a rock, with the help of ND being subpar, in order to become the home town football team. But in 1994 if you have the Colts going for a title and ND playing for a title on the same day....ND wins the ratings. And this is still true for IU basketball.

    Game 7 Pacers vs SAS for NBA title vs IU in title game...not even close. 80% would watch IU, maybe more.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:


  3. #77

    Default Re: Colin Cowherd Pacers Twitter Rant

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    well, maybe just one...



    Here's my only problem with this and why I call bulls*** on the "we don't like NBA in Indy".

    They DO sell-out games for teams like LAL, MIA, CHI and NYK. So LOCALS WILL PAY to see STARS, the very thing they claim to hate and say the NBA is all about. Oh, if we had Kobe then we'd come, but also we respect team basketball not the star iso brand of the NBA.

    People talk out of both sides of their mouth on this subject which is why it ticks me off so much. The Pacers brand of ball is DRAMATICALLY better than what IU, Butler or any local HS team plays. The guys play great team defense, the team wins with different guys stepping up each night, and the raw talent level isn't even close. Orlando Johnson was a great NCAA player and he struggles to find PT.
    Everyone is different. Some people like the NBA brand, come to see stars, but aren't really Pacers fans. I would call myself a Pacers fan but I wouldn't spend 5 minutes watching Lebron James play any team other than the Pacers.

    Again, you can claim that the Pacers brand of ball is better than any given college team someone might watch instead but it is all in the eye of the beholder. Additionally, many have personal ties to their college teams that they may not have to a professional team. I'm a Purdue grad and they are awful this year. I still watch every game because I'm a Purdue grad and I feel connected to them. I don't feel any personal connection to the Pacers anymore. I used to with Reggie on the team probably because I grew up watching him but there is no player I currently feel any type of loyalty to.

    To get past this problem, people need to stop worrying about why people like what they like and concentrate on the reasons they don't like the Pacers. Whether or not you agree with their reasons doesn't really change anything. Maybe it is as simple as Indy isn't a great NBA market. Maybe there are a few reasonable action items that would help some. Like I said, everyone is different and reasons will vary. You're not going to be able to convert everyone but 10 years ago there were alot more Pacers fans at games than there are now so we know there were more people in the recent past that were willing to invest their time/money in the Pacers that no longer are. That would be the place I concentrate on if I were in Pacers marketing.

  4. #78
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,528

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colin Cowherd Pacers Twitter Rant

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The instant IU sniffs top status you have everyone in Indy decked out in red, especially the non-IU grad fan types (this has always been an issue). All the "I don't have an allegiance" fans support IU - because Bobby Knight had a perfect season and won a couple more titles. Their kids and grandkids got raised on that in the way that Notre Dame has tons of non-affiliated local fans too.
    That's exactly right. If IU has such wild swings on their fan base outside of alum, and they've been Indiana's team for the past 60 years, why would you expect anything different when it comes from the Pacers?

    I'm not defending the attitude, but it is what it is. Criticizing people isn't going to change it. It might make you feel better, but it does absolutely nothing to address the problem.

    Maybe I just see the point of the attendance discussions differently. It proceeds like one big whinefest (not meant to be insulting) as opposed to talking about solutions.


    PS&E need to figure out a way to attract people, not guilt people, into going.

  5. #79
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,486

    Default Re: Colin Cowherd Pacers Twitter Rant

    Quote Originally Posted by Reggie4Three View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am the fan that they are talking about. Was a huge Pacers fan for the longest time. Then things just went south and interest declined. It started with the brawl. Then Reggie retired. Then the whole Artest saga and them trying to build the team around O'Neal who I hated. Then JOB and his awful coaching. On a scale of 1 to 10 the Pacers went from probably an 8/9 to around a 3 through all that. I still follow them from afar. I know what they're doing but catching a game isn't of great importance to me anymore. I cancelled the NBA package 2 years ago (I have to have it to get most Pacers games) after having it for 6 or 7 seasons straight and I don't miss it at all. I'm not a fan of the NBA to begin with. Never was. That brand of basketball doesn't appeal to me beyond whatever interest in the Pacers I have. I will probably watch the playoffs when they get here but I have my doubts they can beat the Heat come playoff times because the NBA is built for the stars and when it comes down to it, the Lebron James and Derek Roses (when he comes back) will get every call when it matters.
    Okay so this is the problem I have with your opinion. You say you haven't had in interest in this team or the league for over half a decade, yet you feel you can comment on their chances of beating the Heat or Bulls. Whats that all about? How about you watch the team and know the team before you can sit there and write them off.

    Star players get calls, they have the ball in their hands more. Thats how basketball at every level of play works. Sure refs miss or blow calls, but they do that at every level too. There was alot of talk last year in the playoffs vs the Heat with all the blown calls, but that in general is how playoff basketball is played. The refs let guys be a bit more physical in general so just running over a guy in the open court isn't a flagrant 2.


    Quote Originally Posted by Reggie4Three View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bottom line is that they can blame whatever they want for a lack of local interest in the Pacers but it's not our job to be interested in them. It's their job to entertain us and watching the Pacers or going to a game is way down my list of things to do on an average night. Perhaps it's how the NBA has changed or perhaps it's how I have changed. Probably both. I just don't care nearly as much as I used to and the NBA as a whole isn't enjoyable to me. I can honestly say that I've watched more NHL this season, even with the lockout-shortened season, than NBA and it really isn't even close and I don't even have a favorite NHL team.
    Now this is hilarious. You chastise our team for getting into a fight, yet you like Hockey where players fight every night and the refs sit there and let it happen. Whats it going to be? A **** storm blows up in Detroit 10 years ago with fans throwing beer at our players, throwing trash on our players, coming after our players. That offends you, but fighting is okay in Hockey though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reggie4Three View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I do think it's an interesting topic though (which is why I came to this board after I saw it on twitter - to see what the die-hard fans were saying about it) and I'm inclined to agree with those saying that Indy isn't an NBA town. People will show up come playoff time but not enough people are going to devote the time and money it takes to go to 41 home games over a season that spans about half the year. The product just doesn't warrant that type of investment from me and apparently there's a significant number of fans that have their own reasons as well.
    I just can't stand people who admit that haven't even paid attention to the league or the team in 6-8 years and say they dont' like the NBA. You don't know the NBA!
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:


  7. #80
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,635

    Default Re: Colin Cowherd Pacers Twitter Rant

    More off-topic JOB talk

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I stopped reading your post after I read your sentence I quoted.

    I am only speaking for myself, WTF are you talking about. I disagreed with many things he did. I just didn't think he was the worst coach ever like many others did. I thought I was balanced, very balanced.



    Another WTF. You find for me my posts where I have even discussed JOB since he was fired. Especially after the 2011 season was over. I have not started 1 thread on him, my posts have vbeen very, very few. So I honestly have no idea what you are referring to
    I feel that it has been discussed from time to time over the last few years, but I have no quotes I can think of so I should pull you off the list. So apart from BillS suggesting that PG was trained on defense by JOB and Heisenberg talking about locker room discipline within this thread, I rescind my comments directed at any of you.

    I honestly think I recall occasional drop-ins by the two of you in other threads that followed the line of thinking I'm attacking here, but maybe it was other people or maybe I misread something or maybe I'm just nuts. I feel certain I've seen it brought up previously but it's very possible it wasn't you.

    I'm sorry if you didn't suggest that JOB was a big part of making this current roster what it is, I really am.

  8. #81
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,486

    Default Re: Colin Cowherd Pacers Twitter Rant

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    See my previous post. The Kings fan wants to see the PACERS. Fans like Cowherd are starting to view the Pacers as a team to go see. Heat fans don't go to see the Kings, they go to see the Heat.

    The very idea that you think it's about the other team and only "die hards" would waste their time watching the Pacers says that you view the Pacers as a poor product not worth watching. Cowherd disagrees (like many of us) and is saying that the PACERS PRODUCT is one of the best in the NBA.

    If you think it's worth going to see LAL, MIA, NYK, SAS, NYK or LAC play then you should also want to see IND play...regardless of what city you live in. The fact that the Pacers also happen to be the local team you should root for even when they aren't that good should only bolster the fan interest level to a point above interest in seeing MIA or LAL.

    But Indy metro citizens don't view the Pacers as that caliber of a product. That's the problem. It's not a lack of support for the pitiful home team, it's lack of interest in the best basketball you can see within 180+ miles.

    The instant IU sniffs top status you have everyone in Indy decked out in red, especially the non-IU grad fan types (this has always been an issue). All the "I don't have an allegiance" fans support IU - because Bobby Knight had a perfect season and won a couple more titles. Their kids and grandkids got raised on that in the way that Notre Dame has tons of non-affiliated local fans too.

    The Colts had to beat ND football to death with a rock, with the help of ND being subpar, in order to become the home town football team. But in 1994 if you have the Colts going for a title and ND playing for a title on the same day....ND wins the ratings. And this is still true for IU basketball.

    Game 7 Pacers vs SAS for NBA title vs IU in title game...not even close. 80% would watch IU, maybe more.
    THanked one million times!
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  9. #82
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,635

    Default Re: Colin Cowherd Pacers Twitter Rant

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's exactly right. If IU has such wild swings on their fan base outside of alum, and they've been Indiana's team for the past 60 years, why would you expect anything different when it comes from the Pacers?

    I'm not defending the attitude, but it is what it is. Criticizing people isn't going to change it. It might make you feel better, but it does absolutely nothing to address the problem.

    Maybe I just see the point of the attendance discussions differently. It proceeds like one big whinefest (not meant to be insulting) as opposed to talking about solutions.


    PS&E need to figure out a way to attract people, not guilt people, into going.
    No, I'm saying IU does NOT have wild swings in allegiance. They struggled with stuff just as damaging as the Pacers IMO (cheating coach, alleged drug use by players - EJ suggested this as I recall) and had some losing years. For the most part this actually paralleled the Pacers run of "bad press" followed by sub-par play.

    But all along IU fans still showed up. Not to the extent that they are now, but you certainly didn't have "OMG, Assembly is only 25% full" nights. Fans grumbled about the ups and downs, but they still followed the team.

    And my point is that IU is the local team. The Pacers are Butler or Purdue, the "other" team that if they do really, really well (ie, title run) then they might go to a game.



    I was walking around downtown the other day and passed a place on Market. It had the Pacers schedule in the window...and it SHOCKED me. My wife suggested that it was poor marketing by the Pacers to not have more places promoting the team as the big, local "thing". In other cities you see this, even for down teams. Bars and restaurants have schedules and banners, other stores have flyers or smaller signage up or on the counter or whatever.

    In the 90's this was true of downtown. You'd see tons of Pacers stuff, at least by 98-2000. That thing suggests who the "home town" team is. Think of your workplace and who has a mini-poster or coffee cup, etc in their work area. For me I've been the only "Pacers fan" in that way for at least 5 years. But I see tons of IU and ND t-shirts, hear the water cooler discussion, etc.


    And even through the Pacers heyday you still saw good representation of IU basketball in those same places.



    The Pacers had a better season last year than the Colts did, but the amount of signage or things like shirts at Target, etc was dramatically in favor of the Colts. To me those "casual" interactions that remind people who the local team is says the most about their spot in the metro area. And right now it's shocking to see Pacers stuff of any form anywhere outside the BILF.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 02-20-2013 at 01:02 PM.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:


  11. #83
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,573

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colin Cowherd Pacers Twitter Rant

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    The Colts had to beat ND football to death with a rock, with the help of ND being subpar, in order to become the home town football team. But in 1994 if you have the Colts going for a title and ND playing for a title on the same day....ND wins the ratings. And this is still true for IU basketball.

    Game 7 Pacers vs SAS for NBA title vs IU in title game...not even close. 80% would watch IU, maybe more.
    Notre Dame being more popular than the Colts in 1994 probably has something to do with the fact that Colts had been here just ten years in 1994, whereas Notre Dame had decades upon decades of excellence, as well as a still-fresh 1988 championship.

    The Colts moved here in 1984 with Baltimore's name and colors. Many here had loyalties to teams like the Packers, Bears, Benglas, or Cowboys. Building a fanbase takes time. You have to build some sort of identity with the city you play in. That's why teams like the Cowboys, Packers, Steelers, and Niners have such large fanbases. They have decades upon decades worth of success and excellence. Something like that isn't built in a day. But now the Colts have played here for almost 30 years and have made their own history in Indianapolis. We cut one of the greatest players ever, yet didn't blackout a single game. Before you say "yeah, that's because we went on a crazy 11-5 run", let me remind you that no one knew we would win 11 games at the beginning of the season. No one knew we would win 11 games when we played the Vikings in Sept, but the game sold out. No one knew we'd win 11 games when we played the Jags in Sept, but the game still sold out. No one knew that we'd win 11 games when we were 2-3 and played the pathetic Browns in October, but the game sold out.

    Why does it matter if an IU championship game would get superior ratings if it were up against a Pacers game 7 on the Finals? They don't play that on the same day.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  13. #84
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,528

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colin Cowherd Pacers Twitter Rant

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, I'm saying IU does NOT have wild swings in allegiance.
    IU bandwagon fans are every where right now.

    IU doesn't have attendance problems, beacuse of their massive alumni base. But when IU is down, support from non-IU alum drops off a cliff, and vice versa when they become good again.

    We live in a state of frontrunners. Most of my friends are Bulls fans (those that watch the NBA anyways).
    Last edited by Since86; 02-20-2013 at 01:06 PM.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  15. #85
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,528

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colin Cowherd Pacers Twitter Rant

    And it's silly to compare the NBA to the NFL. Having 8 open dates to go to a game compared to 41 cannot be understated. Rarity always impacts value.

  16. #86
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,635

    Default Re: Colin Cowherd Pacers Twitter Rant

    I don't feel any personal connection to the Pacers anymore. I used to with Reggie on the team probably because I grew up watching him but there is no player I currently feel any type of loyalty to.
    And how did you acquire that personal connection to Reggie? Did he come to your house or save your dog?
    (meant in non-snarky tone)

    He made ESPN highlights and was shown on the news, that's how. If someone didn't tell you Reggie was worth watching you wouldn't know he existed. He didn't win you over by being a nice guy and you probably didn't know about him in 1990.


    Following up on that - how can the current team make a personal connection to you? You don't follow the team, watch games or do anything that would create a connection to them. So it's self-fulfilling. You don't connect to them so you refuse to connect to them.

    Or are you saying that you have tried and you just don't like their brand of basketball, you don't like West's post-game or PG's defense or Hill being a local hero or Roy's personality? I mean that sincerely. If you are saying you took time to take a "listen" to what they are all about and said "nah, not for me, I know everyone else thinks they are a great band but I just don't connect to the music" then that's fine.

    But if you are saying "I never liked the Beatles....aren't they the ones that sang Ring My Bell" then that is on you, not the team.



    I guess my question to casual fans is the simple one - "what DO you want from this team that they don't currently provide?". In terms of connection to them I mean. Skip the ticket prices or driving distance because Assembly Hall ain't free and it sure as F isn't easy to get to either, not from Indy metro let alone Fishers.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:


  18. #87

    Default Re: Colin Cowherd Pacers Twitter Rant

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Okay so this is the problem I have with your opinion. You say you haven't had in interest in this team or the league for over half a decade, yet you feel you can comment on their chances of beating the Heat or Bulls. Whats that all about? How about you watch the team and know the team before you can sit there and write them off.

    Star players get calls, they have the ball in their hands more. Thats how basketball at every level of play works. Sure refs miss or blow calls, but they do that at every level too. There was alot of talk last year in the playoffs vs the Heat with all the blown calls, but that in general is how playoff basketball is played. The refs let guys be a bit more physical in general so just running over a guy in the open court isn't a flagrant 2.




    Now this is hilarious. You chastise our team for getting into a fight, yet you like Hockey where players fight every night and the refs sit there and let it happen. Whats it going to be? A **** storm blows up in Detroit 10 years ago with fans throwing beer at our players, throwing trash on our players, coming after our players. That offends you, but fighting is okay in Hockey though.



    I just can't stand people who admit that haven't even paid attention to the league or the team in 6-8 years and say they dont' like the NBA. You don't know the NBA!
    1. You having a problem with my opinion doesn't change anything. Obviously you are an NBA fan. I'm not. We're likely to disagree on the entertainment value of it. The fact that you disagree isn't going to get me in that seat or tuned in tonight.

    2. I still see NBA highlights. I hear and read things. I know enough about the NBA to know that the Heat won last year and are favorites to win again this year. Just because I don't devote myself to the league doesn't mean I'm completely obllivious to what's going on. And yes, I still maintain the opinion that the stars will get more than their fair share of calls, particularly in the playoffs. Maybe I'm mistaken about that given that I don't watch every second of NBA basketball but you'll have to remind me of who won the title last year.

    3. I'm not an NHL fan. I'm just picking it up more this year and I find it infinitely more watchable than 48 minutes of NBA basketball. Fighting really has nothing to do with my interest in hockey. To be honest, the biggest reasons my interest in the Pacers plummeted were Reggie's retirement, JO's existence, and JOB's coaching. As for the brawl, the main disappointment for me was how Stern handled the whole thing and it really made me less of an NBA fan in general moreso than just losing interest in the Pacers. I appreciate your attempt to take one of many reasons I gave and doing your best to make it look hypocritical but that's a huge reach to make.

    4. Where do you expect to pick up new fans from if you don't listen to the people who don't currently watch the NBA product? Like I said before, I'm not completely oblivious to everything NBA. I will occasionally bet on a game on a Friday night when there really isn't any other sporting event going on. I follow the Pacers record, their position in the standings, and will watch a few games and probably the playoffs. If I were in marketing and trying to get more people to Pacers games, I'd be targeting people like me in the Indy area (I now live near the South Bend area). However, nothing is to be gained for telling me I'm wrong for liking what I like or not liking what I don't like.

  19. #88
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,635

    Default Re: Colin Cowherd Pacers Twitter Rant

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And it's silly to compare the NBA to the NFL. Having 8 open dates to go to a game compared to 41 cannot be understated. Rarity always impacts value.
    But it's 60000 seats you have to fill, so "rarity" isn't quite true. It's easier to get into a Colts game in terms of available seats per game.

    60000 * 10 (you have to buy the 2 preseason also)
    18000 *40 (to keep it round)

    600,000 vs 720,000 seats to sell.

    However the upper level of BILF is going for 5-10 on the market and the team offers a lot of deals in that range too. You can't see the Colts for 10 and I'm not even sure you could last year.


    See I'm not asking for someone to buy 40 tickets, just 10 tickets. If all 60000 Colts ticket holders wanted to go to the game at the same time they couldn't. So you break them into 4 groups of 15000 each, each buys the same ticket package price they buy for the Colts games and that gets you a solid 15000 per game right there.

    And if Colts fans could go to a couple more games they'd sell those out too, so it's safe to say that there is money for more than 15K per night. And since the average price of a Colts ticket is more than a Pacers ticket a lot of fans could afford to buy a mini PLUS a couple of other games.



    The city HAS FILLED BILF all season in the past. The money is there and the fanbase is there. The only thing is perhaps so many Sunday games, but to be fair the Colts typically played several MON, THR and SUN night national TV games during the season too, and if anything there is more interest in those game than the Sunday at 1pm....though in fairness those games carried a sense of prestige.


    Yes the Bobcats and Raps come to town 4 times a year, but the Nets and Nuggets games don't do any better. It's not simply a "bad opponent" issue. The Bobcats and Raps are like the Colts preseason games - 4 of 40 vs 2 of 10. I get people skipping those as just "man, I can't get fired up for it". But 80% of the Pacers home schedule are pretty interesting matchups or division rivals. The Colts had home games vs JAX and TEN and people have no problem going to those and I didn't include them as part of the "bad" games.

  20. #89
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,635

    Default Re: Colin Cowherd Pacers Twitter Rant

    Also let me just say that I appreciate the debate Since86. It feels like I'm getting after YOU, but it's simply the topic. You are bringing up valid counterpoints to be debated and I'm enjoying that.

    By definition we always say that PD posters aren't the typical fans, and that's true for this debate as well.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:


  22. #90
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31,695

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colin Cowherd Pacers Twitter Rant

    IU remained one of the top 10 attended teams in the nation every year while they were down, but comparing IU to the Pacers is not a fair fight. Apples to oranges.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  23. #91
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,051

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colin Cowherd Pacers Twitter Rant

    Does it occur to anyone that this is a PERFECT example that it is easier to retain a customer than to get them back once they are disaffected or get a new one?

    In reality, it almost doesn't matter WHY someone drifted away. Once they drifted away, they have lost the habit of being a part of the entire experience. To get them back into the habit you don't just have to overcome their reasons for leaving in the first place, you have to actually get them interested enough to try again. The first part may be easier than we think, because people answering why the second part isn't working often, out of self-justification, will use the same excuses they think they had for leaving rather than saying, "Yeah, you're right, I just really don't care any more" - mainly because that latter statement seems very hard to defend even in the case of a cognitive dissonance over whether the circumstances/costs/personalities/whatever are not what they once were.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  25. #92
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,051

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colin Cowherd Pacers Twitter Rant

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    IU remained one of the top 10 attended teams in the nation every year while they were down, but comparing IU to the Pacers is not a fair fight. Apples to oranges.
    This. One thing people downplay is that there is a built-in audience (student body) and a constantly replenishing source of new potential fans for any college team. Add that to the people who have tight associations to their college identity and you really have to screw the pooch to lose a fan base.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  27. #93
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,486

    Default Re: Colin Cowherd Pacers Twitter Rant

    Quote Originally Posted by Reggie4Three View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    2. I still see NBA highlights. I hear and read things. I know enough about the NBA to know that the Heat won last year and are favorites to win again this year. Just because I don't devote myself to the league doesn't mean I'm completely obllivious to what's going on. And yes, I still maintain the opinion that the stars will get more than their fair share of calls, particularly in the playoffs. Maybe I'm mistaken about that given that I don't watch every second of NBA basketball but you'll have to remind me of who won the title last year.
    Who one the title 2 years ago? The Mavericks comprised of a bunch of aging veterans and an aging Dirk Nowitzky. That right there basically throws your stars comment out the window. If it were true, then there is no way the Heat would have lost to the Mavs. My gosh it should have been a free throw line parade to the title for the Heat, how could an old and slow Dallas team achieve such a feat.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reggie4Three View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    3. I'm not an NHL fan. I'm just picking it up more this year and I find it infinitely more watchable than 48 minutes of NBA basketball. Fighting really has nothing to do with my interest in hockey. To be honest, the biggest reasons my interest in the Pacers plummeted were Reggie's retirement, JO's existence, and JOB's coaching. As for the brawl, the main disappointment for me was how Stern handled the whole thing and it really made me less of an NBA fan in general moreso than just losing interest in the Pacers. I appreciate your attempt to take one of many reasons I gave and doing your best to make it look hypocritical but that's a huge reach to make.
    Well guess what, Reggie Miller dont' give a **** out the Pacers today, JO hasn't been here for about 5 seasons now, JOB is gone, and David Stern is retiring! All we got is a bright young team with a great future, and superstar level player in the making. You outta feel really good about that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reggie4Three View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    4. Where do you expect to pick up new fans from if you don't listen to the people who don't currently watch the NBA product? Like I said before, I'm not completely oblivious to everything NBA. I will occasionally bet on a game on a Friday night when there really isn't any other sporting event going on. I follow the Pacers record, their position in the standings, and will watch a few games and probably the playoffs. If I were in marketing and trying to get more people to Pacers games, I'd be targeting people like me in the Indy area (I now live near the South Bend area). However, nothing is to be gained for telling me I'm wrong for liking what I like or not liking what I don't like.
    Listening? You haven't even offered why you dont like them today and what it will take for you to like them. You haven't even given them chance by the sound of it.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  28. #94
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,051

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colin Cowherd Pacers Twitter Rant

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So apart from BillS suggesting that PG was trained on defense by JOB and Heisenberg talking about locker room discipline within this thread, I rescind my comments directed at any of you.
    Well, no, you've got the referrals wrong.

    I could just as easily say "ahh, there goes Seth, no need to pay any attention to what he says because he always blames everything on JOB".

    My only point was that if Bird is the reason for the turnaround (which he was made so in the post I was responding to), and Bird credited JOB for many of the changes, at what point is Bird credible or not?
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  29. #95
    #Franking Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    13,318

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colin Cowherd Pacers Twitter Rant

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does it occur to anyone that this is a PERFECT example that it is easier to retain a customer than to get them back once they are disaffected or get a new one?

    In reality, it almost doesn't matter WHY someone drifted away. Once they drifted away, they have lost the habit of being a part of the entire experience. To get them back into the habit you don't just have to overcome their reasons for leaving in the first place, you have to actually get them interested enough to try again. The first part may be easier than we think, because people answering why the second part isn't working often, out of self-justification, will use the same excuses they think they had for leaving rather than saying, "Yeah, you're right, I just really don't care any more" - mainly because that latter statement seems very hard to defend even in the case of a cognitive dissonance over whether the circumstances/costs/personalities/whatever are not what they once were.
    This is pretty true. Sometimes we all don't realize the fans that lost interest aren't the weird ones, we are. I mean we watched year after year of "might get the 8 seed!" Pacers. And not even because we enjoyed it just....because?

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  31. #96
    Member RWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,346

    Default Re: Colin Cowherd Pacers Twitter Rant

    Well after looking a little further into my own Saturday/Sunday attendance debate I'm at a toss-up. Attendance still isn't great for the few games we've had on Saturday, but considering the team played could it have been worse? I don't know, it's all debatable.

    Saturday Nov. 3rd opening night against the King.... attendance 18, 165
    Saturday Nov. 10th against the Washington Wizards....attendance 12, 036
    Saturday Jan. 5th against the Milwaukee Bucks.... attendacne 15,329
    Saturday Jan. 12th agaisnt the Charlotte Bobcats... attendance 13,656
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  32. #97
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,528

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colin Cowherd Pacers Twitter Rant

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But it's 60000 seats you have to fill, so "rarity" isn't quite true. It's easier to get into a Colts game in terms of available seats per game.

    60000 * 10 (you have to buy the 2 preseason also)
    18000 *40 (to keep it round)

    600,000 vs 720,000 seats to sell.
    It's not just the amount of seats to fill. It's the actual event. The demand for Colts tickets is huge. When people want to go to Colts games, and the games against NE/Pitt/etc, are going to get filled quickly and by people that can afford the majority of those on secondary markets.

    So that pushes people down the line. They can't go to the big draws, so they settle for the Bengals/Browns/etc. It's pusing people into a tighter space, forcing them into a very limited number of opportunities to go.

  33. #98
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,051

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colin Cowherd Pacers Twitter Rant

    Quote Originally Posted by Reggie4Three View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am the fan that they are talking about. Was a huge Pacers fan for the longest time. Then things just went south and interest declined. It started with the brawl. Then Reggie retired. Then the whole Artest saga and them trying to build the team around O'Neal who I hated. Then JOB and his awful coaching. On a scale of 1 to 10 the Pacers went from probably an 8/9 to around a 3 through all that. I still follow them from afar. I know what they're doing but catching a game isn't of great importance to me anymore. I cancelled the NBA package 2 years ago (I have to have it to get most Pacers games) after having it for 6 or 7 seasons straight and I don't miss it at all. I'm not a fan of the NBA to begin with. Never was. That brand of basketball doesn't appeal to me beyond whatever interest in the Pacers I have. I will probably watch the playoffs when they get here but I have my doubts they can beat the Heat come playoff times because the NBA is built for the stars and when it comes down to it, the Lebron James and Derek Roses (when he comes back) will get every call when it matters.
    I want to say thanks for this perspective in spite of the vitriol it is getting from other quarters.

    I think your position is much more likely the majority situation - as I said above, it isn't that you think the circumstances are the same as they were in those years, you just lost interest and haven't seen a compelling reason to come back. The difference, I think, is that you are willing to at least explain that rather than just blame the old circumstances. Maybe that, in and of and for itself, is as far as marketing the team can go this season without some kind of breakout event that causes people to embrace the team.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  35. #99
    Member RWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,346

    Default Re: Colin Cowherd Pacers Twitter Rant

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I want to say thanks for this perspective in spite of the vitriol it is getting from other quarters.
    I would like to second Bill's thought. Hope Reggie4Three continues to visit and add his/her thoughts.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  36. #100
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,869

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colin Cowherd Pacers Twitter Rant

    I know I should be nicer to Indy's frontrunner fans and convince the people I am still in contact with back home to come back, but I don't suffer fools and don't have the patience to convince people when there is overwhelming evidence that this Pacers team isn't the 2004 so-called "thug" squad that so many people hate. There is so much freaking evidence. People just choose to ignore it. I can't handle the backward mentality people have toward the Pacers.

    When the Washington Nationals were the worst team in baseball in 2009 their attendance was under 23,000. They were a contender last year and their attendance rose over 30,000. Yeah, bigger, more lucrative market, but there are tons more games and MLB isn't what it once was. I wish people in my hometown would REACT TO THE EVIDENCE IN FRONT OF THEM and buy a $5 ticket to check the Pacers out. Because you won't get tickets that cheap anywhere else.

  37. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. ESPN radio host Colin Cowherd lands CBS sitcom deal
    By Basketball Fan in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-24-2011, 10:53 AM
  2. Colin Cowherd on John Wall
    By King Tuts Tomb in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 12-23-2010, 06:31 AM
  3. GRrrrrrrrrrrrrr Indy Star rant...nor really significant..just a rant.
    By indygeezer in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-14-2008, 08:18 PM
  4. Dungy's interview with Colin Cowherd today (Audio)
    By Frank Slade in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-11-2006, 04:42 PM
  5. OT -- Is anyone listening to Colin Cowherd today?
    By Roy Munson in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-29-2004, 08:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •