Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Colin Cowherd Pacers Twitter Rant

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Colin Cowherd Pacers Twitter Rant

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As discussed before.... if folks can't make it in until the 2nd quarter there is a problem.
    I disagree.

That was normal when I lived in Florida, and I see it in DC.

I think that is just part of the animal of dealing with week day games.

Sure I cannot imagine missing one second of game time, but not everyone is a die hard

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    I disagree.

That was normal when I lived in Florida, and I see it in DC.

I think that is just part of the animal of dealing with week day games.

Sure I cannot imagine missing one second of game time, but not everyone is a die hard
    And VA I have to disagree with that point. If I'm a casual I'm not paying for a full ticket if I'm not getting the complete game. Casuals don't show up too often so if they are missing part of the game they feel like it's not worth going then. It's not like a concert where you don't really care about missing the opening band. Actually the die hards are more willing to miss the 1st quarter knowing the game doesn't really start/matter until the 4th quarter.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Also I'll continue to harp on this until I'm blue in the face.... The Bucks 17 Saturday/Sunday home games. The Pacers 5!!! You want to sell a few more of those half season packages? Then give us a half season that features 17 Saturday/Sunday home games please.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    And VA I have to disagree with that point. If I'm a casual I'm not paying for a full ticket if I'm not getting the complete game. Casuals don't show up too often so if they are missing part of the game they feel like it's not worth going then. It's not like a concert where you don't really care about missing the opening band. Actually the die hards are more willing to miss the 1st quarter knowing the game doesn't really start/matter until the 4th quarter.
    I see your point, though I dont 100% agree with it, but then it gets into start times of games.

No clue who/what determines that, but it is weird to me how some places tip off at 6:45/7 and other wait until 7-7:30 - 8

I always assumed it was part TV deals, part a comprmise of filling the house and having people stay up to watch the games.

Alot of people in this state/City know nothing about the pacers. WRTV facebook page brought up the discussion of Cowherds comments and the ignorant posts just baffled me. Most of these people in the backward state are still stuck between 2004-2006 thinking there are still "thugs" on the team.
    And the walls came tumbling down.....

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr_Smith For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    I see your point, though I dont 100% agree with it, but then it gets into start times of games.

No clue who/what determines that, but it is weird to me how some places tip off at 6:45/7 and other wait until 7-7:30 - 8

I always assumed it was part TV deals, part a comprmise of filling the house and having people stay up to watch the games.

TV would rather start games at 8:00 or 8:30. The 7:00 start time is based upon market research surveys the Pacers and other teams have taken over the years. Almost every team in the NBA except the largest markets have gone to 7:00 starts.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    TV would rather start games at 8:00 or 8:30. The 7:00 start time is based upon market research surveys the Pacers and other teams have taken over the years. Almost every team in the NBA except the largest markets have gone to 7:00 starts.
    I'd much rather have an 8 PM start.

7:30 Works the best.

As fars marketing is concerned. They had those great commericals last year just before the playoffs. Talking about "The hometown hero" and various other commercials about individual players. They should probably rehash those and actually put them on the local stations.

I also thought the player billboards from last year were really successful.

But from general point they need to tell this market that the Pacers are the hottest team in the NBA this year.
    Last edited by graphic-er; 02-20-2013 at 10:40 AM.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

If the pacers thought for one second 7:30 or 8:00 or 8:30 would get more people to the games they would change the start times tomorrow. TV would love the later start time.

billbradley

You start games at 8, you just lose folks that say the games end too late.

Slow update on those Saturday/Sunday home games per team this season. Pacers still have the least amount so far.

Clippers 17
    Bucks 17
    Knicks 16
    Trailblazers 14
    Raptors 14
    Heat 13
    Spurs 13
    Lakers 12
    Magic 12
    T-Wolves 12
    76ers 12
    Nets 12
    Wizards 12
    Bulls 10
    Warriors 10
    Bobcats 10
    Hawks 9
    Pistons 9
    OKC 8
    Hornets 7
    Cavs 7
    Celtics 6
    Jazz 6
    Pacers 5
    Last edited by RWB; 02-20-2013 at 11:04 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

I am the fan that they are talking about. Was a huge Pacers fan for the longest time. Then things just went south and interest declined. It started with the brawl. Then Reggie retired. Then the whole Artest saga and them trying to build the team around O'Neal who I hated. Then JOB and his awful coaching. On a scale of 1 to 10 the Pacers went from probably an 8/9 to around a 3 through all that. I still follow them from afar. I know what they're doing but catching a game isn't of great importance to me anymore. I cancelled the NBA package 2 years ago (I have to have it to get most Pacers games) after having it for 6 or 7 seasons straight and I don't miss it at all. I'm not a fan of the NBA to begin with. Never was. That brand of basketball doesn't appeal to me beyond whatever interest in the Pacers I have. I will probably watch the playoffs when they get here but I have my doubts they can beat the Heat come playoff times because the NBA is built for the stars and when it comes down to it, the Lebron James and Derek Roses (when he comes back) will get every call when it matters.

Bottom line is that they can blame whatever they want for a lack of local interest in the Pacers but it's not our job to be interested in them. It's their job to entertain us and watching the Pacers or going to a game is way down my list of things to do on an average night. Perhaps it's how the NBA has changed or perhaps it's how I have changed. Probably both. I just don't care nearly as much as I used to and the NBA as a whole isn't enjoyable to me. I can honestly say that I've watched more NHL this season, even with the lockout-shortened season, than NBA and it really isn't even close and I don't even have a favorite NHL team.

I do think it's an interesting topic though (which is why I came to this board after I saw it on twitter - to see what the die-hard fans were saying about it) and I'm inclined to agree with those saying that Indy isn't an NBA town. People will show up come playoff time but not enough people are going to devote the time and money it takes to go to 41 home games over a season that spans about half the year. The product just doesn't warrant that type of investment from me and apparently there's a significant number of fans that have their own reasons as well.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie4Three For This Useful Post:

RWB

RWB, I realize it doesn't help you any, but the Pacers do have 13 home games on Friday nights - that has to be one of the most by any team in the NBA.

And pacers only have 1 more home Sat/Sun game left the rest of the season.

Bucks only have 4 Friday night home games.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 02-20-2013 at 11:15 AM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

RWB

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Read some of the responses. They don't know anything about the team. It's not a fans are aware of them and don't go to games thing, it's Indiana citizens don't know a thing about these Pacers.

I really don't know how you fix that. Keep winning I suppose.
    It's beyond embarrassing. When NATIONAL audiences know the team more and are more interested than the local citizens...well the excuses just fall extremely false.

I don't need more ranting I suppose, I've spoken my peace on this tenfold already.

well, maybe just one...

People will show up come playoff time but not enough people are going to devote the time and money it takes to go to 41 home games over a season that spans about half the year.
    Here's my only problem with this and why I call bulls*** on the "we don't like NBA in Indy".

They DO sell-out games for teams like LAL, MIA, CHI and NYK. So LOCALS WILL PAY to see STARS, the very thing they claim to hate and say the NBA is all about. Oh, if we had Kobe then we'd come, but also we respect team basketball not the star iso brand of the NBA.

People talk out of both sides of their mouth on this subject which is why it ticks me off so much. The Pacers brand of ball is DRAMATICALLY better than what IU, Butler or any local HS team plays. The guys play great team defense, the team wins with different guys stepping up each night, and the raw talent level isn't even close. Orlando Johnson was a great NCAA player and he struggles to find PT.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Colin is about to have Vogel on The Herds next segment. Hes been on a Pacer kick the last 2 days. Hope he keeps it up
    I Bleed Blue

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CreekShow For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    well, maybe just one...

Here's my only problem with this and why I call bulls*** on the "we don't like NBA in Indy".

They DO sell-out games for teams like LAL, MIA, CHI and NYK. So LOCALS WILL PAY to see STARS, the very thing they claim to hate and say the NBA is all about. Oh, if we had Kobe then we'd come, but also we respect team basketball not the star iso brand of the NBA.
    Do you REALLY expect anything different?

Other than diehard Pacer fans, who in the hell wants to watch the Pacers play the freaking Kings?

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post

Other than diehard Pacer fans, who in the hell wants to watch the Pacers play the freaking Kings?
    On a cold Wednesday night in January when they've been working all day, nonetheless.

People can whine about this being a lame excuse all they want, but if you live in Carmel and get off work downtown at 5 o'clock, then attending a weeknight game against some scrub team isn't a desirable scenario. Driving back home seems silly, because as soon as you get back home you are going to have to turn around and head back downtown. So your only option is to hang around downtown for two hours. So by the time the game is over and you get home, it's 10 o'clock and you've literally been gone since like 8 a.m. You haven't had any time to hang out with the wife or kids. Plus, you literally have to immediately go to bed because you have to get up for work the next morning. If you aren't a diehard Pacer fan, then forfeiting so much of your valuable time on a cold winter's night to see the Pacers play some joke team simply isn't worth it. You'll wait for Friday night when it's far more desirable. Call that a weak excuse if you want, but not everyone's lives revolve around the Pacers. The weekend games seem to get decent attendance, but it's those weeknight games that kill us. They simply aren't desirable for a lot of people.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Mood

Man. I just don't get it.

Every time I walk into the Fieldhouse it feels like Christmas. I drive 2 hours to get downtown, and I absolutely love going to games.

Ah, well, I suppose you can't force people to be fans.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Derek2k3 For This Useful Post:

Hell no. No way I'm letting this "JOB set the plate" myth get started. Not after 4 of the worst years in Pacers history in terms of poor coaching.

All of this is a rant on that, not really on topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    JOB did his job. Bird was just too loyal. I'd say give John Wall JOB his first 2 years in Washington and he'd be better for it with those rosters, but Wall's a point guard. Allegedly anyway.
    No he didn't. You can't take anything BillS or Buck say about JOB seriously because they defended every single thing he did.

Ask Peck about JOB "controlling" Tinsley. For all the benching of Tinsely by JOB, it came AFTER he let the guy run wild in the PHX loss and it came WAY WAY AFTER Carlisle benched Tinsley for a half a season in favor of Kenny Anderson.

JOB did NOT control Troy's poor defense or Mike's poor defense or Rasho's "I'm barely alive" efforts. Those guys all could have been taught a lesson about defense and benched in favor of guys who would try, but it was just the opposite.

If Bird had simply done his job and helped Rick the way BIRD HELPED JOB, which is TRADE THE GUYS, then Rick would have taught a much more dramatic level of defense than JOB did with his matador starting PF. Rick was told to make it work with JO and Tinsley, JOB was allowed to punt on Tinsley and then saw JO removed from the picture.

Bird re-signed JOB but traded away his star pupil (Troy), acknowledging that Troy wasn't the right guy for the role but giving JOB support for using him in excess anyway. Bird led JOB run tons of minutes to "I seriously will only take 3PAs all game" Posey, another guy well past his defensive prime.

To me Bill and Buck are doing more to change history with JOB than we are. We complained the entire time about this stuff and none of it was any good. Yes, JOB was tough in the locker room allegedly, but everything we saw in PUBLIC in terms of comments, playing time and interaction with players said that JOB had a knack for tearing down all the young guys, basically the guys becoming the new core (Hibbert, Paul).

I once sat at the bench just days before JOB was fired. What I saw was Paul George come into the game and within 2 trips JOB pulled him over and chewed him out. I didn't see PG do anything wrong, and we all know that PG even in year one was a motivated, interested defensive talent. Meanwhile not one peep while I watched other guys letting their man beat them with poor effort.

JOB did NOT FIX THE CLUBHOUSE. He didn't get JO under control anymore than Rick did (no one ever did - see PHX), he didn't get Tinsley under control, he didn't get Shawne Williams under control, he didn't get TJ Ford under control, and he didn't get "suspended for pot" David Harrison under control.

Those players were finally moved. Great coaching.

Oh, let's not forget that Jarret Jack, not JOB, had to chastise TJ Ford for his ball hogging poor team play and after JOB sent him out of the game he came back the next game as the starter (hmm, think the GM or FO said something). Unfortunately for us they couldn't trade TJ and didn't want to pay J Jack.

Roy, Danny, Hill and West were great locker room types prior to JOB. West and Hill weren't even part of the JOB era. Roy and Paul struggled to get PT. Oh, and Danny turned into a 3P chucker instead of a guy that looked more like PG24 when he first started than a 7 3PA per game guy. It was Vogel that brought back the old Danny.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 02-20-2013 at 11:32 AM.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

then attending a weeknight game against some scrub team isn't a desirable scenario
    But why stay if it's the Lakers or Heat?

See this is the exact issue - the PACERS ARE THE SHOW, they are the Lakers or Heat. They have that kind of talent. People in other cities are starting to "stay downtown for a few hours on a weeknight" to see their teams play the Pacers. But in Indy people see them as the host team on par with the arena itself - just the thing that brings in a good show or bad show (depending on the opponent).

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

JOB did NOT FIX THE CLUBHOUSE. He didn't get JO under control anymore than Rick did (no one ever did - see PHX), he didn't get Tinsley under control, he didn't get Shawne Williams under control, he didn't get TJ Ford under control.
    The example of that would be Jim coming in and saying "if you don't practice, you don't play." And then finding out a year later that JO wasn't practicing.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    RWB, I realize it doesn't help you any, but the Pacers do have 13 home games on Friday nights - that has to be one of the most by any team in the NBA.

And pacers only have 1 more home Sat/Sun game left the rest of the season.

Bucks only have 4 Friday night home games.
    Thanks UB, but as you have pointed out a Friday 7pm start is no different to me than any other night when you work Monday - Friday. If the Pacers decide to continue the same Friday grab then I still have hope they could at least move back that start time to 8pm.

No he didn't. You can't take anything BillS or Buck say about JOB seriously because they defended every single thing he did.
    I stopped reading your post after I read your sentence I quoted.

I am only speaking for myself, WTF are you talking about. I disagreed with many things he did. I just didn't think he was the worst coach ever like many others did. I thought I was balanced, very balanced.

To me Bill and Buck are doing more to change history with JOB than we are. We complained the entire time about this stuff and none of it was any good.
    Another WTF. You find for me my posts where I have even discussed JOB since he was fired. Especially after the 2011 season was over. I have not started 1 thread on him, my posts have vbeen very, very few. So I honestly have no idea what you are referring to
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 02-20-2013 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post

As a kid did anyone collect basketball cards? I did and of course I grew up a Pacer fan so those player cards were the most important to me. However, the kids in the neighborhood were more concerned about getting the top players. That fact in many ways doesn't even change into adult hood. Kind of like Since86 point here.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post: