Thread: Dunk Contest (anyone else notice?)

Default Dunk Contest (anyone else notice?)

I know that there were no stars in the dunk contest but Gerald Greens first dunked is being way over looked. That dunk was nasty. Also, if you watch the dunk contest between MJ and Wilkens, a guy like Gerald Green can do all the dunks those two guys did in that contest except for the free throw line dunk by MJ. I am just saying that people are expecting way too much out of the contest these days.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to brownjake43 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Dunk Contest (anyone else notice?)

The competitors are getting too gimmicky. After failing the double-dunk a few times, Green was better off just throwing down a nasty windmill honey dipper or something. The most powerful dunks are the best dunks, IMO.
    "A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals." Larry Bird

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mitchbr For This Useful Post:

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brownjake43 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know that there were no stars in the dunk contest but Gerald Greens first dunked is being way over looked. That dunk was nasty. Also, if you watch the dunk contest between MJ and Wilkens, a guy like Gerald Green can do all the dunks those two guys did in that contest except for the free throw line dunk by MJ. I am just saying that people are expecting way too much out of the contest these days.
    ...Gerald?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheDon For This Useful Post:

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

it was pretty damn crazy

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    it was pretty damn crazy

And of course Green chose the best passer on the team to set him up.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was upset at two things, Ross getting a 50 for his first dunk and because of that, Ross went up last in the second round. If Green had a certain score to beat, he probably doesn't let the time run out trying the same damn dunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Goyle View Post
    I was upset at two things, Ross getting a 50 for his first dunk and because of that, Ross went up last in the second round. If Green had a certain score to beat, he probably doesn't let the time run out trying the same damn dunk.
    Or if he had any common sense at all
    Grown Man Ball

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    ...Gerald?
    Yes, Gerald? I do not understand your confusion?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to brownjake43 For This Useful Post:

HC

it was pretty damn crazy

Woulda been better if he did it over a seated child or senior citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by Goyle View Post
    I agree with this 100%. Ross' dunk should not have been a 50. But Greens dunk got no publicity afterward, I feel like if MJ, Wilkens, Dr. J, any of them do that exact same dunk people would have acted like it was one of the greatest of all time. Which for that time period it may have been one of the best dunks ever. But this is my point when I say the contest was not near as bad as what people like Charles Barkley say it was.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by brownjake43 View Post
    Yes, Gerald? I do not understand your confusion?
    lol, come on man.
    When all of your wishes are granted many of your dreams will be destroyed -MM

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I didn't understand why someone didn't mention Ross did a very similar dunk when he caught the ball tossed off the back board the same way. I was like, wasn't that the same dunk? As we were watching the all star game itself, Griffin tossed the ball off the back board to himself and dunked it with power. Green should have done the same thing.

The NBA mega stars are already there watching the contest so it's downright silly that they are not required to be in it. NBA weekend should showcase the best of the NBA not eternal bench players. How many of these lame contests will it take for the powers that be to wake up? Sportscasters were making jokes about All Star weekend today. Do the right thing NBA or just do away with it altogether.

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He should have had lance run a fast break with him and recreate his alley oop dunk he had with the nets

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    The NBA mega stars are already there watching the contest so it's downright silly that they are not required to be in it. NBA weekend should showcase the best of the NBA not eternal bench players. How many of these lame contests will it take for the powers that be to wake up? Sportscasters were making jokes about All Star weekend today. Do the right thing NBA or just do away with it altogether.
    This post is missing some very badly needed green font...this may be the most unintentionally funny thing I've read all week.

2013 Pacers Digest NBA 2K13 Champion (Xbox 360)

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

it was pretty damn crazy

that dunk got me so excited, i thought the contest will live up to my expectations. man i was wrong.

the contest made me realize 2 things once again. gerald's iq is lower than his shoe number. and james white doesn't deserve to be in this league. he can't dribble in a dunk contest.

That was a great dunk by Green. But I hate seeing a player try again and again to execute a dunk. I think they should go back to the way it was several years ago. You only get 1 attempt and one do over. The key word there is an attempt.

Having said that I watched a little bit of NBATV replays the Jordan vs Dominique contest which I would guess would be considered the best contest of alltime. They did some nice dunks, but what the players try today is much more difficult and in many ways better.

But they are too gimmicky. If they would eliminate all props and tell them they can only miss one dunk per round. Then the contest would be as good as ever

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Classic slam dunk contests don't hold up at all. The degree of difficulty and level of creativity just exploded in the late 90's to early 2000's. Vince Carter gets a lot of credit, but I think Jason Richardson deserves nearly as much. His dunk contests are some of the most underrated in contest history, in my always super-duper-humble opinion.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Lance George For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    I didn't understand why someone didn't mention Ross did a very similar dunk when he caught the ball tossed off the back board the same way. I was like, wasn't that the same dunk? As we were watching the all star game itself, Griffin tossed the ball off the back board to himself and dunked it with power. Green should have done the same thing.
    TJoe, myself, MAStamper and a few others tweeted this stuff SAT night. First, the gimmicks and showmanship s*** has to stop. The Superman cape was terrible and was followed by a terrible "throw" dunk. Signing an easy to jump over painting of your own dunk was basically a Joe Horn/TO gimmick except they pulled out Sharpies and cell phones IN THE GAME...and it didn't make the play any better and was really kinda dumb even then.

Viewers thought the Green's first dunk was nasty, and if he just did a bunch of that stuff he would have won easily.

Blake and Lebron threw down more nasty, cool dunks in the game than we saw on SAT night. That's the problem with the contest. No gimmicks by those guys, just power and athleticism that looked graceful and strong at the same time.

On Twitter I think Trader Joe and I (and a few others) basically solved this - we want MORE dunks, more CLASSIC dunks. So you run the standard "judgement based" methods used by surfing, skateboarding and other "trick" sports. You have your time to just freestyle. Do whatever you want in that time period, do as many as you want, as many variations as you want.

Lobs for oops with help, fine. Or if you want to waste your time dragging out some gimmick or running to the other end of the court or hyping up the crowd, fine. But you've got your 45-60 seconds, whatever, to do ANYTHING you can think of as many times as you can (or can not).

Judges score based on top 3-5 dunks per round.

And keep in mind that all those other judged sports feature 95% tricks that have ALREADY BEEN DONE. What you judge on is the quality of the execution with the degree of difficulty in mind. There would be no diving or XGames if you had to always do a trick that had never been seen.

I would love to see Gerald Green go throw down a "dunks greatest hits" with a Nance, Nique, Mike, Dr J and Vince lineup. 5 great versions of one of their nastiest looking dunks. That would make the crowds ooh and ahh.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HC View Post
    lol, come on man.

I am confused. Is Gerald Green a great player. No. But he jumps as high as anyone in the league. And higher than anyone from the early 90s. That's based off facts. Check verticals combined with his height and arm length.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    On Twitter I think Trader Joe and I (and a few others) basically solved this - we want MORE dunks, more CLASSIC dunks. So you run the standard "judgement based" methods used by surfing, skateboarding and other "trick" sports. You have your time to just freestyle. Do whatever you want in that time period, do as many as you want, as many variations as you want.

Lobs for oops with help, fine. Or if you want to waste your time dragging out some gimmick or running to the other end of the court or hyping up the crowd, fine. But you've got your 45-60 seconds, whatever, to do ANYTHING you can think of as many times as you can (or can not).

Judges score based on top 3-5 dunks per round.
    I think this is what needs to be done. Give them 90 seconds, do as many as they want/can. The judges write down their score for each completed dunk they see, then when time is up, the dunker gets credit for his top X highest scores (top 3, top 5, whatever the NBA feels is the right number). Then the next guy up does the same, repeat.

And keep in mind that all those other judged sports feature 95% tricks that have ALREADY BEEN DONE. What you judge on is the quality of the execution with the degree of difficulty in mind. There would be no diving or XGames if you had to always do a trick that had never been seen.

I would love to see Gerald Green go throw down a "dunks greatest hits" with a Nance, Nique, Mike, Dr J and Vince lineup. 5 great versions of one of their nastiest looking dunks. That would make the crowds ooh and ahh.
    Yeah, if I were him I'd pick a lot of famous dunks that I know I can replicate, go pick up a replica jersey of each player who did them, then the night of the contest I either keep switching to whatever jersey fits the dunk, or maybe I start by wearing them all, then keep peeling them off after I complete that dunk, last dunk of the night is the last jersey worn.

The thing that frustrated me about Green's attempt to double dunk is that even if he could do it it wouldn't have looked that good. Sure it's difficult, but the thing has to look good also. Honestly, after he kept trying and missing I turned the thing off.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    The thing that frustrated me about Green's attempt to double dunk is that even if he could do it it wouldn't have looked that good. Sure it's difficult, but the thing has to look good also. Honestly, after he kept trying and missing I turned the thing off.
    Yeah, Green doesn't seem to understand his audience in these things. It's all about aesthetics, now how hard a dunk actually is. It's like when he did the sock dunk, I imagine that's crazy hard, but it just looked dumb.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Nothing shocks me more than Gerald Green doing something dumb on a basketball floor.