View Poll Results: Who do you want?

Voters
121. You may not vote on this poll
  • Paul George

50 41.32%
  • Kyrie Irving

71 58.68%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Best Young All-Star: PG or Kyrie?

Default Re: Best Young All-Star: PG or Kyrie?

I'd take Kyrie because he has "best player in the league potential." My only concern with him is that he seems a little injury-prone.

Start at the 1:37 mark of this video. Do we really think Paul could do what Kyrie does to a team as good as OKC here? I doubt he ever will. For those of you who don't feel like watching the video, Kyrie essentially single-handedly handles OKC over the last four minutes. And this has happened several times this season. He's already an elite player.

Last edited by rexnom; 02-19-2013 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    More wings win rings because there's more wings. It's just standard probability.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2
    Some say Chris Paul may be the greatest point guard ever. He's the best at his position period. He's not going to win a championship this year. Possibly in the future if Blake really raises his game, but that would mean Blake would have to become basically the best PF in the game. Or, the best player on his team and the reason they would win. Why can't CP3 win??

Why couldn't two time MVP Steve Nash win if he was so great lead his team to win?

The two best SF's in the game will probably be in the finals this year. Over the last 10 years we've seen championship runs by a team who either had the best center, best powerforward, best small forward, best shooting guard, but not once a dominate point...

If we were going by odds I'd say it'd at least half to be 1 out of 5 wouldn't it?? Unfortunately Jason Kidd fell short. Steve Nash fell short. Deron Williams (utah) fell short, and Chris Paul has and will fall short.

The problem, is if you took every single one of those great teams with great PGs and switched them out with a dominate wing and an average point, the potential of those teams would completely change.
    Last edited by mattie; 02-19-2013 at 01:01 AM.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

In a league full of dominate point guards, you would think a dominate point would lead a team to a championship. It just isn't happening.

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

Didn't Magic Johnson win 5 championships followed by Isiah winning 2? All the while Bird only won 3? What am I missing? A decade of MJ?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Why are Chris Paul and then Rondo considered the 2 ELITE PGs in the NBA? It is because they effect the game multi-dimensionally... Chris Paul is an ELITE scorer, but both have great vision and are ELITE defenders.

There really does seem to be more really good point guards in the game right now then we've had at one time in the past. It surprises me that only 1 is averaging more then 10 assists and he'll fall off the stat chart very soon.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Didn't Magic Johnson win 5 championships followed by Isiah winning 2? All the while Bird only won 3? What am I missing? A decade of MJ?
    Didn't magic play with some of the greatest big men in the history of the game? Didn't he play every position (versatility)? Isn't he one of the greatest passers ever?

Isaiah, chauncey are 2 of the only Elite pgs to win rings in the last 35 years where they had little help offensively from bigs... They also played on the 2 greatest defensive teams in the last 35 years...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to *astrisk* For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by *astrisk* View Post
    Didn't magic play with some of the greatest big men in the history of the game? Didn't he play every position (versatility)? Isn't he one of the greatest passers ever?

Isaiah, chauncey are 2 of the only Elite pgs to win rings in the last 35 years where they had little help offensively from bigs... They also played on the 2 greatest defensive teams in the last 35 years...
    Isn't this sort of making the Kyrie point? Once he gets some help, he'll start winning.

Mood

Isn't this sort of making the Kyrie point? Once he gets some help, he'll start winning.
    Hes gonna start winning like Steve Nash winning? Chris Paul winning? Deron Williams winning?

No. I'm not making the Kyrie point...

Mood

Also, I liken Kyrie's game to Deron Williams and Steph Curry. In terms of tools and health questions...

You could say that for sure - A long time ago, Magic dominated, but then I'd argue if your superstar pointguard is 6'9" then sure, he won't run into the problems that all other points run into. And that is getting shut down and slowed by great defenses.

Isaiah Thomas is really the only time a dominate traditional point led his team to a title.

And I'm not saying it is not possible. I'm saying it doesn't happen very much because it is not ideal.

You can build a team around a dominate center and chances are you're going to win a championship- See every dominate center ever.
    You can build a team around a dominate powerforward and you can win a championship. (ok this actually hasn't happened much- woops!)
    You can build around a dominate SF and win a championship. See nearly every dominate SF ever.
    You can build a team around a dominate 2 guard. See every dominate 2 ever.

Dominate points? You have Isaiah and Magic. Magic wasn't a traditional point but a 6'9" do everything superstar. Of course he would win. That leaves us with 1 traditional point guard that won.

The rest didn't. Stockton, Nash, Paul, etc.

It's not that these players hinder title chances. It's the fact that if you spend all your money one a great point guard, you're probably going to miss out on a key ingredient that almost every championship team has ever had. Some 2-5 player who could score the ball at will, or completely own the opposing team defensively.

In the future, I'll count PG against any Kyrie team no matter what as long as Kyrie is the best player.. Because worst case scenario they'll just throw PG on Kyrie and slow him down. That's what you can do with a great wing.

No point has ever had a major effect defensively.

Read it and weep:

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    More wings win rings
    say that 3 times fast

To be clear I'm not saying you can't win with a superstar point. I'm just saying it isn't the ideal way to build a team. Obvious if you have a ton of talent all the way through out your team, and CP3 is your starting point, you're probably going to win.

I'll give you an example of how a team could use this reasoning and possibly overnight build an absolute juggernaut.

What if the Clippers decided to trade CP3?? They send CP3 and a draft pick out east for 'Melo, and Iman Shumpart. I think that team would be a powerhouse.

jordan/griffin/'melo/billups/bledsoe

Holytitties.

And that's not even the best deal they could get out of CP3. CP3 is considered top five in the NBA.

Read it and weep:

LA Clippers 33-11 (0.750) with Chris Paul, 6-6 (0.500) without him. And I'm not sure that they won't win the championship this year. They are surely contenders.

I think a Paul swap with any player in the league, save LeBron James and possibly Kevin Durant, would drop that team from contention.

Eh maybe. Who knows.

Read it and weep:

Sports Logo

Do we really think Paul could do what Kyrie does to a team as good as OKC here?
    Not as good as Kyrie. But the main problem still remains. Kyrie is a PG.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    When it comes to the makeup of a contending team, it is so much easier to contain a pointguard than nearly every other player on the court.
    Amen, brother

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Magic Johnson is 6'9. In his rookie season, he won Finals MVP while starting at Center in Game 6 and dropping 42 points, 15 rebounds, 7 assists and 3 steals. Throughout his career he played every position. He never stopped being 6'9 which is something that largely eliminated the problem that *astrisk* pointed out.

Size wins.

Yes, Isiah did win 2 rings. That's true and since him no other superstar PG has done this. But Isiah also played along Joe Dumars and Bill Laimbeer in one of the most physical teams of that time. He did won but so did the system in which he played.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

I don't watch Cavs games, but I will say that in a league where Lebron James exists, it's very nice to have a Paul George.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    You could say that for sure - A long time ago, Magic dominated, but then I'd argue if your superstar pointguard is 6'9" then sure, he won't run into the problems that all other points run into. And that is getting shut down and slowed by great defenses.

Isaiah Thomas is really the only time a dominate traditional point led his team to a title.

And I'm not saying it is not possible. I'm saying it doesn't happen very much because it is not ideal.

You can build a team around a dominate center and chances are you're going to win a championship- See every dominate center ever.
    You can build a team around a dominate powerforward and you can win a championship. (ok this actually hasn't happened much- woops!)
    You can build around a dominate SF and win a championship. See nearly every dominate SF ever.
    You can build a team around a dominate 2 guard. See every dominate 2 ever.

Dominate points? You have Isaiah and Magic. Magic wasn't a traditional point but a 6'9" do everything superstar. Of course he would win. That leaves us with 1 traditional point guard that won.

The rest didn't. Stockton, Nash, Paul, etc.

It's not that these players hinder title chances. It's the fact that if you spend all your money one a great point guard, you're probably going to miss out on a key ingredient that almost every championship team has ever had. Some 2-5 player who could score the ball at will, or completely own the opposing team defensively.

In the future, I'll count PG against any Kyrie team no matter what as long as Kyrie is the best player.. Because worst case scenario they'll just throw PG on Kyrie and slow him down. That's what you can do with a great wing.

No point has ever had a major effect defensively.
    This post dominants the whole thread.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I find it curious how many people are willing to attribute many of these recent championships to the fact that the best player on the team was an all-important wing, and ignore the fact that those wings are, without exception, the greatest players of their generation. Since Jordan retired, none of those wings who won titles (except Lebron last year, who had another generational level great wing player beside him) did so without the help of an all-time great big man as well. Jordan had a great run, but like Lebron, he also had a great wing player with him as well, but more importantly he was the greatest player of all time.

It seems to me that what position the best player plays, is mostly irrelevant. It's more about how great that player is, and what kind of team he has around him.

Saying point guards can't effect the game as much as a wing is just crazy, in my opinion. This question shouldn't be about which position is the most important, point guard or wing. It should be about which player has a chance to turn into the better individual player, Paul George or Kyrie Irving.

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This post dominants the whole thread.

Made me laugh.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

28. The Following User Says Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

Paul George all the way , till the wheels fall off.....

Asking this question is pretty similar to rewinding time , some 20 years ago and asking a Pacers fan ..... Reggie or Isaiah?

Except in my opinion Paul George is going to end up being the one to have the championship rings when it is all said and done... I don't believe Irving, will be able to be the Cav's "franchise player" and lead Cleveland to a championship. Only way I see a championship in his future, is by pulling a "Lebron" and either going and teaming up with 2 other superstars, or unless he can get them to come play with him.... But that's just my opinion....but YMMV .., and I really enjoy watching him play.... he is dayum good...so don't get me wrong... I just think George is THE full package, and has superstar/franchise player written all over him... I mean damn, he is THIS good already, and I STILL don't see his ceiling yet.... it's crazy... I think the sky's the limit for this kid...

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    Asking this question is pretty similar to rewinding time , some 20 years ago and asking a Pacers fan ..... Reggie or Isaiah?
    Who in their right mind would pick Reggie?
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    Who in their right mind would pick Reggie?
    Right, see it's not even close. Reggie was all about big moments, but statistically what Paul is doing at 22 is already better than pretty much anything Reggie did save 1 or 2 seasons. Comparing Reggie and Isaiah is just not an argument Reggie can win. Look at some of Isaiah's peak seasons, I think he had a season where he basically averaged 22 and 14 in the mid 80s. That is pretty crazy stuff.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods