View Poll Results: Who do you want?

Voters
121. You may not vote on this poll
  • Paul George

50 41.32%
  • Kyrie Irving

71 58.68%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Young All-Star: PG or Kyrie?

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Best Young All-Star: PG or Kyrie?

It's not fair to compare this year's PG to this year's Kyrie. Irving is younger, and even then has less seasons under his belt. Of course Kyrie is going to be behind PG in development --- he's got two more years to catch up and 1 more season. Did he start at a younger age? Yep... which also says something. Irving also has a lot less team around him.

PG is a damned good defender, a hard matchup at his position, very versatile and smooth.... but Kyrie has the chance to be the best player of this incoming generation. It's his to lose.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Right now? yes.
    Interesting. Though I'd disagree, I can wholeheartedly understand your way of thinking.

Wings have long dominated the league as far as winning goes, whereas PG's only seem to get AS nominations.

But to me, Kyrie is already a top 10-15 player in the league. But that's just because I love what he brings to the table.

Edit: ps thanks for answering

The fact that we're having this conversation, and it's LEGITIMATELY a conversation; shows just how much Paul has grown as a player this year lol.

Crazy

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    The fact that we're having this conversation, and it's LEGITIMATELY a conversation; shows just how much Paul has grown as a player this year lol.

Crazy
    Yea, very good point.. I think last year I wouldn't have even put PG in the same category as Irving, so to be doing so is a testament to PG. I think a year ago I had hopes of what PG could be, but I'll admit that I had reservations and maybe even doubts... and that may be erased now. But I don't have and have never had reservations about Kyrie. I've always watched him and thought he was going to be very, very special. He's not like John Wall, who has always struck me as being insanely physically gifted and maybe not so much mentally gifted. Kyrie has a maturity and vision and feel for the game about him that is just rare.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Right now, I'd have to go with Kyrie. He's already an incredible player and he's only going to get better. In 2-3 years, I don't know. If Paul reaches his potential... man he could be really good. Tough question. I'm glad I don't have to choose. Maybe Kyrie will come to Indy as a free agent and they can take over the league together.

If not, I just hope that Kyrie recruits Paul to be in his next Uncle Drew commercial with big Wes! I'm thinking of all the "Don't jump youngblood!" moments that commercial could have.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    I think this is a tough question to answer, because these things aren't in a vacuum, but if you had an expansion franchise, and the option of choosing 1 player to start your team with, who do you choose?

I think there are very good arguments that can be made for both.
    My twitch reaction was to think Kyrie Irving. In general, but especially since he's a PG.

But then I thought about how close it's starting to get, and then furthermore I thought about which one has a medical history that might scare me if I'm the GM. So I voted Paul George. If they had the same health history, I'd probably go with Irving at this time.

A month ago, I would have said Kyrie without hesitation. Paul's ability to create offense for other over the past month though, edges him ahead IMO.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Crazy

It is crazy. So many things have gone into his improvement, but overall I think his improvement in dribbling opens everything else up. Now he can dribble with his head up and make better plays.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Just think if you were a Wizard fan. I would be like, wait I thought John Wall was supposed to be the next great point guard. What happened??

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

If the two players traded positions; Kyrie on a veteran loaded Pacers team, and Paul George on a young somewhat talent deprived team like Cleveland--is the argument as close?

Obviously merely hypothetical, but do both players grow and develop as much as they have? Are the pacers closer to being a true contender than they are now?

Lol this thread is driving me to think!!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

I could go either way. The injury history has me wavering from my initial choice.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The one thing going for us is that Cleveland seems utterly incapable of keeping the superstars that come through there, lol.... so MAYBE WE HAVE A CHANCE.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

James Harden should probably be included in this discussion. Also, this thread reminded me of something extremely disconcerting. There are five 2013 All-Stars who are younger than our 2012 1st round draft pick.

Kyrie Irving, Paul George, James Harden, Russell Westbrook, and Kevin Durant are all younger than Miles Plumlee. At least Derrick Rose's knee kept it on one hand.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

If the two players traded positions; Kyrie on a veteran loaded Pacers team, and Paul George on a young somewhat talent deprived team like Cleveland--is the argument as close?
    Seriously here, wasn't the argument being made that Paul was being "held back" due to playing on a veteran loaded team prior to this year when DG was down? Wouldn't people be arguing that you learn faster by starting and being the Man on your team as soon as you get into the league?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Obviously merely hypothetical, but do both players grow and develop as much as they have? Are the pacers closer to being a true contender than they are now?

Kyrie is a scoring point guard. I'm not sure his assists would go up. I think he would be about the same. I don't know about Paul he is tougher to gauge. I think he may have developed slower in Cleveland, but now that it seemingly has "clicked" for him I htink he would remain a big impact player if he and Kyrie suddenly swapped spots. In fact his scoring might actually go up in Cleveland.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think that question further drives home the point. Kyrie entered a team that was really a wreck and is the undisputed centerpiece and leader. I'm not entirely sure PG would've handled it the same --- he has always seemed to need to take time without shouldering that kind of load. I think PG was helped tremendously by being on the mature, professional team that was around him here. I guess what Im' saying is... would PG have been an All-Star this year had he been doing this for the Cavs? I honestly think that's probly not the case.

Let's be honest here, Kyrie was an undisputed #1 pick... PG was a "risk pick" at 10. The pedigree is just not on the same level. PG is realizing his potential, whereas Kyrie is simply executing the potential everyone expected of him.

A month ago, I would have said Kyrie without hesitation. Paul's ability to create offense for other over the past month though, edges him ahead IMO.
    Admittedly, yeah, if he consistently can initiate offense (from passing as well as shooting/scoring) like he was doing last week, then it doesn't really matter that the other guy in the poll is a point guard.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

The thread title was poorly constructed on my part. Neither one of these guys are the "Best Young All-Star."

Kevin Durant isn't even 25, and then you have guys like Griffin, Harden, and Westbrook who are all younger than him.

I should have said "Best All-Star born in the '90's."

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

But who has the higher ceilling? Even now it is still probably PG no? And I think he is the more complete player at this moment as well.

I don't know that there is a for sure answer, I'm honestly a little surprised at the poll, but still awesome that PG has put himself out there, because like I said even a month ago I would have gone Kyrie in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    James Harden should probably be included in this discussion. Also, this thread reminded me of something extremely disconcerting. There are five 2013 All-Stars who are younger than our 2012 1st round draft pick.

Kyrie Irving, Paul George, James Harden, Russell Westbrook, and Kevin Durant are all younger than Miles Plumlee. At least Derrick Rose's knee kept it on one hand.
    Jrue Holiday. Also a '90's baby.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would love for PG to prove me wrong.

I've been on the Paul is about who he is train up until mid January. I rode that train for a long time and I loved riding it and honestly even if it is now true that he's not getting any better than this, I'm still ok with it (Though Kyrie will probably end up better then), but I'm done underselling the kid. Paul has answered the bell and he has upped his offense while not slipping on D which you know is kind of a big deal. So I'm all aboard the PG is going to be a big bright shining star train even if it ends up in ashes. I can still just hop on the PG is an 18, 8, and 4 train at 38% 3 point shooting. Which you know if he does that he'll only be the 5th dude ever to do those numbers for a season.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

What's crazy to think is that as good as PG is at the 3-ball... Kyrie still hits it at a higher clip. At 20... in his second season. Kyrie's form isn't even really all taht perfect, he's got a lot of room to improve. And he's still hitting high and even winning the 3-ball contest despite all odds. He hit something like 17 out of 18 at one point during the contest final round.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    Jrue Holiday. Also a '90's baby.
    Ahh hell. I forgot Jrue Holiday and Blake Griffin. So much for my one hand argument. At least Miles has Brook Lopez by a couple of months.

But seriously, the young talent in the league right now is pretty extraordinary.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

I'm posting this so that nobody can ever say I don't appreciate art.

35. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post: