Thread: Paul George strong favorite for MIP (according to ESPN and several writers)

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default Paul George strong favorite for MIP (according to ESPN and several writers)

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/...mproved-player

The NBA Most Improved Player award is usually the hardest race to predict because there are so many ways people can interpret improvement.

But, according to our panel, one player has stood out among yet another deep field of worthy candidates this season: Indiana's Paul George. In fact, our panel thinks he should and will win the MIP award.

These NBA Most Improved Player predictions powered by ESPN Forecast.

Although his numbers don't transcend his stats from last season, his role has expanded immensely. In the wake of Danny Granger's injury, George has played nearly 38 minutes per game (12th in the NBA), was named to his first All-Star Game and led the Pacers to a top-three seed in the East. His sudden leap to stardom, and the fact that he's a two-way star, has him as the heavy MIP favorite.

Another first-time All-Star, Philly's Jrue Holiday, also received strong support from our panel. With Andre Iguodala traded to Denver and Andrew Bynum missing the entire season to injuries, Holiday was the lone bright spot in another disappointing Sixers campaign.

Meanwhile, Milwaukee's Larry Sanders had a breakout season as one of the top defenders in the league, Orlando's Nikola Vucevic (Dwight Howard's replacement) averaged a double-double this season, and New Orleans' Greivis Vasquez, who might also be in the running for the most underrated player award, finished third in the league in assists (9.0) and averaged 13.9 points per game.

Here is the full voting breakdown by our ESPN Forecast panel.

ESPN Forecast: Who should win the NBA Most Improved Player award?
    Voters ranked their top three picks, with a 5-3-1 scoring system

RANK PLAYER POINTS

Paul George
    Indiana Pacers | SF | Stats
    30 first-place votes

Larry Sanders
    Milwaukee Bucks | C | Stats
    15 first-place votes

Greivis Vasquez
    New Orleans Hornets | PG | Stats
    14 first-place votes

Jrue Holiday
    Philadelphia 76ers | PG | Stats
    13 first-place votes

Nikola Vucevic
    Orlando Magic | C | Stats
    Eight first-place votes

Also receiving votes: Chandler Parsons, Rockets (43 points); Omer Asik, Rockets (37 points); Andray Blatche, Nets (22 points); James Harden, Rockets (22 points); John Wall, Wizards (16 points); Jimmy Butler, Bulls (14 points); Earl Clark, Lakers (13 points); Kevin Durant, Thunder (13 points); LeBron James, Heat (10 points); Eric Bledsoe, Clippers (8 points), J.J. Hickson, Blazers (7 points); Brook Lopez, Nets (6 points); Kemba Walker, Bobcats (6 points); Tristan Thompson, Cavaliers (5 points); J.J. Redick, Bucks (5 points); Lance Stephenson, Pacers (3 points), Kawhi Leonard; Spurs (1 point); Anderson Varejao, Cavaliers (1 point).
    Sittin on top of the world!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Default Re: MIP=Paul George (according to ESPN and several writers)

I hope so. That'll be great for PG.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There is no other player more deserving
    "We want Miami"

Not surprising.

In other news, I wish Vazquez was a Pacer.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

I thought this was the MIP result being leaked at first. Probably should have "Forecast" somewhere in the title.

ESPN's forecast panel does include several people with media votes (maybe more than several, at that), so maybe this is a good indication. If so, great for Paul G. He'll join Jalen Rose, Jermaine O'Neal, and Danny Granger as Pacers winning this award.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

I love PG and his improvement…but I think I would have to go with Sanders or Vucevic. They came out of nothing and made themselves solid. Vucevic averages 13 and 12…Sanders is at 10 and 10 with stellar D. I think they improved more.
    DG for 3

Default Re: Paul George strong favorite for MIP (according to ESPN and several writers)

I have expected him to win it. DAvid Aldridge had him as defensive player of the year

Default Re: Paul George strong favorite for MIP (according to ESPN and several writers)

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have expected him to win it. DAvid Aldridge had him as defensive player of the year
    IMHO, he should be winning the DPOY instead of the MIP award...especially over Tony Allen.

Mood

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Not surprising.

In other news, I wish Vazquez was a Pacer.
    There have been a few articles pointing out that you shouldn't be seduced by his stats, although he has developed his 3 pointer and court vision, he is very slow and turnover prone. He just broke the record for most turnovers in a season for the Hornets at 247. I am expecting some GM will give him a big payday after being drooling over his stats, without looking at his flaws. If you guys complain about George Hill's defense, you would cry over his.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    There have been a few articles pointing out that you shouldn't be seduced by his stats, although he has developed his 3 pointer and court vision, he is very slow and turnover prone. He just broke the record for most turnovers in a season for the Hornets at 247. I am expecting some GM will give him a big payday after being drooling over his stats, without looking at his flaws. If you guys complain about George Hill's defense, you would cry over his.
    People complaining over George Hill's defense would cry over most point guards

Good for PG, I think he's been the favorite since the All Star Game. It's a bummer, he probably could have been (and was on a lot of blogger's) on an All NBA team, but he's in too big of a rut right now.

IMO, the REAL most improved should be Lance or Larry Sanders. Those guys went from scrubs to legitimate STARTERS. That's a massive leap.

Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    Woah woah, I wasn't saying I want him over Hill, or anything. Only that when I saw him play I was impressed, and would love to have him here as the back-up PG/sixth man.