Thread: Is this the kind of trade the Pacers need to be looking for?

Default Is this the kind of trade the Pacers need to be looking for?

I read in Hoops Hype that the Phoenix Suns are interested in Josh Smith and has Marcin Gortat, among others, to offer. Atlanta Hawks, in the past, have expressed interest in Roy Hibbert. Pacers are facing a salary cap crunch in the relatively near future. All three of these things made me wonder if there was a basis for a trade here? And/or if this was the kind of trade the Pacers should or would be looking for to create cap space while minimizing the negative impact of that salary reduction.

So what about a three way trade that moves Roy to Atlanta, Smith to Phoenix and Gortat to Indy. Plus whatever details needed to make it work. IMO, the Pacers are getting the short end of the main deal, so extra draft picks need to end up in Indy. But these three guys are the main players.

Quick look at the numbers: Roy makes $14M, $15M and $15.5M over the next 3 yrs. Gortat makes $8M next year and probably more IF he resigns after that. Smith is looking for a 30% max contract which means about $17M, $18M, $20M and $21M over the next 4 yrs. This trade would probably give the Pacers the cap space to resign David, Danny and Lance if they wanted to.

Is this the kind of thing the Pacers should do? It seems that Gortat is weaker defensively than Roy, but he is a very skilled player. There is a possibility that David, Ian and Gortat could make a success of a 3 big rotation. If so, that would allow the Pacers to do the Naptown Seth thing of putting their salary into a rotation of 8 guys and filling the roster with rookies and minimum salary players.

I'm trying not to make this a proposed trade thread, but more of a trading philosophy thread. More about what kind of trades the Pacers should be looking for that a specific trade for specific players. Pacers are going to be in a cap space crunch. IMO, they are either going to have to do something like this or make a 2 for 1 trade of Danny, Lance and/or David for Josh Smith or Rajon Rondo themselves.
    Last edited by xIndyFan; 02-17-2013 at 10:51 AM.

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Cool Re: Is this the kind of trade the Pacers need to be looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I read in Hoops Hype that the Phoenix Suns are interested in Josh Smith and has Marcin Gortat, among others, to offer. Atlanta Hawks, in the past, have expressed interest in Roy Hibbert. Pacers are facing a salary cap crunch in the relatively near future. All three of these things made me wonder if there was a basis for a trade here? And/or if this was the kind of trade the Pacers should or would be looking for to create cap space while minimizing the negative impact of that salary reduction.

So what about a three way trade that moves Roy to Atlanta, Smith to Phoenix and Gortat to Indy. Plus whatever details needed to make it work. IMO, the Pacers are getting the short end of the main deal, so extra draft picks need to end up in Indy. But these three guys are the main players.

Quick look at the numbers: Roy makes $14M, $15M and $15.5M over the next 3 yrs. Gortat makes $8M next year and probably more IF he resigns after that. Smith is looking for a 30% max contract which means about $17M, $18M, $20M and $21M over the next 4 yrs. This trade would probably give the Pacers the cap space to resign David, Danny and Lance if they wanted to.

Is this the kind of thing the Pacers should do? It seems that Gortat is weaker defensively than Roy, but he is a very skilled player. There is a possibility that David, Ian and Gortat could make a success of a 3 big rotation. If so, that would allow the Pacers to do the Naptown Seth thing of putting their salary into a rotation of 8 guys and filling the roster with rookies and minimum salary players.

I'm trying not to make this a proposed trade thread, but more of a trading philosophy thread. More about what kind of trades the Pacers should be looking for that a specific trade for specific players. Pacers are going to be in a cap space crunch. IMO, they are either going to have to do something like this or make a 2 for 1 trade of Danny, Lance and/or David for Josh Smith or Rajon Rondo themselves.
    I would not trade Hibbert just to sign an aging West. I think Granger's trade value is zero coming off of a serious injury...... Our team is playing well. Let's ride it out and see wehre it takes us.... ...

Default Re: Is this the kind of trade the Pacers need to be looking for?

I understand our financial problem going forward, but I don't want to trade any of our core players before the deadline... I wanna see what this team can do when it counts!
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

I like the idea, and I like Gortat. And I'm just not sure about Roy. Is it his hand? Is it he's missing Granger?

I would feel better if Bird was still running the show.

That said, what if Danny comes back and he takes the pressure off of Roy and Roy starts giving some offence again? We would have a starting five that you couldn't leave anyone open. And anyone could go for a triple double. Everyone but Granger and Hill has one this year, and hill had one taken away. I think under those circumstances with Danny having four other guys to pass to he would be a threat for one too.

The trouble is we need to know what we have before we go trading a core piece.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

J7F

I'm not so sure Hibbert's value is greater than Gortat's

RLeWorm

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    I would not trade Hibbert just to sign an aging West. I think Granger's trade value is zero coming off of a serious injury...... Our team is playing well. Let's ride it out and see wehre it takes us.... ...
    Granger's value isn't zero. Just because he is coming off an injury means he can't score or play d anymore? Nah, the teams that really want him are contenders. They know Granger can help them. Granger can also help us too. We need his scoring.

Sports Logo

The Pacers are planning to contend now. Isn't that the plan?

This trade would not help us to achieve that goal. In fact, it would lower our chances.

The Pacers should look for a trade to put them over the top. This trade does pretty much the opposite.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Cool Re: Is this the kind of trade the Pacers need to be looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by RLeWorm View Post
    Granger's value isn't zero. Just because he is coming off an injury means he can't score or play d anymore? Nah, the teams that really want him are contenders. They know Granger can help them. Granger can also help us too. We need his scoring.
    I wasn't saying anything about his value to the Pacers but I don't think anyone will be interested in him until he plays 10 or 15 games and they can see he is back. ... How many players have you ever seen traded coming off of a severe injury in any sport? I would think that would be rare indeed....

A team would be pretty silly to trade for DG at the deadline without having the time to really check him out medically and/or see him play. It looks like the best the Pacers will get is one game from Granger before the deadline. We may trade Granger after the season is over, but not this month.

Saving a little money this season and next season won't help, it's summer 2014 that matters. That's when George and Granger both expire and we'll likely have to let Danny go. BUT that's also when Gortat becomes an unrestricted free agent and will want a bigger contract. So we'd now have THREE major free agents that we'd hate to lose.

So this deal likely wouldn't solve the problem, it would just add uncertainty. Rather just keep Hibs.
    Last edited by hackashaq; 02-18-2013 at 06:44 AM.