Thread: Hornets vs Pacers

Default Hornets vs Pacers

How should Tuesday's game go?

What do you think will be the keys to the game?

Jamal Mashburn is back now, but Ron's usually done a good job on him.

Brown is a little *****asspunk *tm* , but JO and Al can play through that.

Speaking of which, Al is back! Hopefully his knee is feeling good, I'll be hoping to hear that it is during the pre-game and/or post-game show.

I say Baron and Magloire and 1 random scrub have a good game, but we hold on for the win in an inspired effort.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Hornets vs Pacers

I think this team thinks quite a bit about what happened last year following the All-Star break. Not that they dwell on it. But I think that memory has them extremely focused on coming out the next few games and competing very strongly.

Considering that we also have to turn around and face New Orleans in their gym next week, I'd say this game is a very important one to win, probably the most important game of those remaining this month.

This is the game that sets the tone for what happens after the break.

This is the game that sets the tone for what happens after the break.

Not sure I agree.

Last season the Pacers won three straight coming out of the allstar break and then fell apart.

The first game after the break is perhaps the most unpredictable game of the season. All teams have been off for about a week, and have only had one practice the day before.

I remember two sesons ago the Pacers also played the Hornets at home the first game back and they scored like 68 points and were truly awful

I'm pretty sure that no matter what time it is, they team will be focussed.

They will NOT want a repeat of last season, and yes it was 3 games after and yes the ASG was later this year BUT they still will be living with that idea.

This game is not as important as Beast makes it, but it is important, because it can win the series and because we meet them again on their turf in 2 weeks time.

P's will want to travel there with the series locked in their favour.

I's also sure there will be some practise today, if only as a shoot around, but my guess is some rust will be shaken of of those players that were not in LA and some party-dust from those that were.

If we can play some decent D tonight we'll win this one by at least a dozen.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Sports Logo

Even with Mash back the Hornets are falling apart. They are not the team we were lucky to beat early in the season. They are the team who we were blowing out before they decided to get into a fight with AL.

We still won by 7 but it should have been 20. One of those cases where the score is closer than the game.

Until I read this article I had forgotten about the fight.

You notice all these teams think they have a rivalry with us

http://www.nola.com/hornets/t-p/inde...0027603740.xml

Hornets expect spirited contest

Rivalry with Pacers has become intense

Tuesday February 17, 2004

By Jimmy Smith
    Staff writer

INDIANAPOLIS -- The last time these teams met, it was a bloodletting.

In both the literal and figurative sense.

From Our Advertiser

Face it. The Hornets and Indiana Pacers don't like each other.

And the way the Pacers manhandled New Orleans here Jan. 3 before a fight broke out between the Hornets' George Lynch and Al Harrington merely intensified the rivalry.

The Pacers were having their way with the Hornets, who were playing the second game of a road back-to-back, having won the night before in Toronto, 86-74, when Harrington shoved Lynch and a melee ensued.

Lynch, Harrington and Hornets center Jamaal Magloire, who went over the bench in defense of his teammate, were each fined $10,000 for their roles in the drama, prompting promises of continued rough play the next time the teams met.

That next time comes tonight at Conseco Fieldhouse, where Pacers coach Rick Carlisle thinks the intensity level might not be quite as high as it was six weeks ago when Indiana, which had been up by as many as 23 points, held off a fourth-quarter run by New Orleans to win 91-84.

"This is two very competitive teams, two teams in the same division," said Carlisle, whose team has the best record in the Eastern Conference. "We're two physical teams. There's a lot at stake when our two teams play. It's going to get heated.

"I don't think it will come to what it was the last game. But, in competitive games, you're going to have an incident every now and then. The one good thing about that situation is there were no suspensions. There was some rough play, but nothing deemed worthy of guys missing games. While it was physical, it wasn't necessarily not clean play."

Hornets guard Baron Davis didn't share Carlisle's assessment.

"It was a hard-fought game, they were cheap-shotting and stuff and that's how it went," Davis said in the postgame locker room that night. "Every time we play them, that's how it's going to be.

"Next time we play them, it'll be like that again. People are going to fall. People are going to get elbowed. People are going to be cheap-shotted. If that's how they want to play, that's how it'll be from here on out."

But Pacers forward Ron Artest, no stranger to physical play, dismisses the notion that the last two regular-season games between the Central Division foes will be repeats of the last bout. The Pacers travel to New Orleans on Feb. 27.

"How many times have we beat them?" Artest said with a smile. "Teams are always trying to provoke Al Harrington. They try to provoke me sometimes. We take the hits. We take the punches, get some ice and make the swelling go away and play the next game."

The Hornets enter tonight's game after the five-day All-Star break coming off a much-needed victory over the New York Knicks that erased the memory of a 10-point drubbing on the road Feb. 7 against the Milwaukee Bucks.

New Orleans coach Tim Floyd is aware of the intensity of play between the teams, but he doesn't believe the Hornets should need to use what happened last time as motivation.

"The opponent is enough to be concerned with because of their record," Floyd said. "I would think everybody would be ready. It's a tremendous test. I think they've got the best record in the league right now. Playing the team with the best record in the league, on the road, isn't necessarily the best scenario to come back to start the new season.

"I think both teams are going to be very spirited, if for no other reason than it's the first game back after the break. You've got to establish how you're going to be playing in the second half."

. . . . . . .

The Hornets all years have said we're this big rivalry. I guess I just don't see it.

And the way the Pacers manhandled New Orleans here Jan. 3 before a fight broke out between the Hornets' George Lynch and Al Harrington merely intensified the rivalry.

The Pacers were having their way with the Hornets, who were playing the second game of a road back-to-back, having won the night before in Toronto, 86-74, when Harrington shoved Lynch and a melee ensued.
    Liars. Al did push him, AFTER HE WAS ELBOWED IN THE THROAT.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

But Pacers forward Ron Artest, no stranger to physical play, dismisses the notion that the last two regular-season games between the Central Division foes will be repeats of the last bout. The Pacers travel to New Orleans on Feb. 27.

"How many times have we beat them?" Artest said with a smile. "Teams are always trying to provoke Al Harrington. They try to provoke me sometimes. We take the hits. We take the punches, get some ice and make the swelling go away and play the next game."
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Such a good quote.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

You know, until just a minute ago I forgot Bender was back as well. I wonder if he'll see any time?

You know, until just a minute ago I forgot Bender was back as well. I wonder if he'll see any time?
    That will be interesting to see...who knows...though I don't know if it'll happen, NO might just be a tad bit too physical for him at this stage
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Expecting an intense affair tonight...maybe more competitve the usual post AllStar games....due to the short second half, the Hornets obvious disdain for us, and the fact it's the potential rubber game in the season series for the Pacers. Expecting an intense defensive effort from Indy due to fresh legs.

Tins will have a challenge...Baron looked healthy over All-Star weekend...and had a big game against the Knicks just before the break.

I did notice Wesley is still out...probably their best shooter....which is good. Should allow us to clog up the lane even more...to stop penetration by Davis, keep Mash outside his midrange comfort zone... and make life in the paint hellish for Magloire. Make Lynch, PJ and the others beat us.

Thank god the allstar break is over.

I like intense affairs! Is it on DVD? (rim shot)

But seriously folks, Rick is so lucky to have last year's collapse to bring everyone into focus. I think we will win!
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.