Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LET'S BRING THE NBA ALL STAR GAME TO INDIANAPOLIS.

Hybrid View

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default LET'S BRING THE NBA ALL STAR GAME TO INDIANAPOLIS.

I think Indy would be a good spot, seeing how we have hosted a super bowl which was successful in my eyes. Plus we have had the final four, the Indy 500 every year, Big ten championships, the Brickyard 400 and more. Thoughts?
    "That picture is dope man". -Paul George

Default Re: LET'S BRING THE NBA ALL STAR GAME TO INDIANAPOLIS.

Indiana fans need to show they care about the NBA first in my opinion...

Looking into the stands at Pacers games is frustrating, I'd rather send it to a city that has a lot of loyal fans that deserve to be rewarded.

...its funny I say that because I ****ing hate the NBA. My weird, undying love for the Pacers(which I can't explain) is the only reason I even watch.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

I have no interest in having it here.

Sure we would be a very good host for the event, but that isn't the point. Pacers franchise doesn't seem to be interested.

Didn't we have a thread about this last week?

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Eating some cranbaisins The Sleeze's Avatar

I know the city isn't paying for the cost to host the game, but it would benefit the city more if STH weren't given exclusive rights to tickets. More out-of-towners getting tickets for the all-star game is more money for the local hotels and tourism.
    Last edited by The Sleeze; 02-15-2013 at 04:10 PM.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by The Sleeze View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know the city isn't paying for the cost to host the game, but it would benefit the city more if STH weren't given tickets. More out-of-towners getting tickets for the all-star game is more money for the local hotels and tourism.
    Hey, I've got an idea! Let's have all STHs give their tickets away to all out-of-town attendees for ANY regular season game against a big-name opponent! That would make sure someone comes into town and spends their money for the city and wouldn't bother ANYONE important at all! We could cram the Fieldhouse with out-of-town Lakers, Chicago, Miami, and NY fans and the city could rake in the hotel rooms, while all those pesky and useless season ticket holders could stay home and write checks for next year!
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Eating some cranbaisins The Sleeze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Hey, I've got an idea! Let's have all STHs give their tickets away to all out-of-town attendees for ANY regular season game against a big-name opponent! That would make sure someone comes into town and spends their money for the city and wouldn't bother ANYONE important at all! We could cram the Fieldhouse with out-of-town Lakers, Chicago, Miami, and NY fans and the city could rake in the hotel rooms, while all those pesky and useless season ticket holders could stay home and write checks for next year!
    Really?.....We are talking about a one off event for the NBA that represents multiple teams and its fans, not just Pacer players, why shouldn't it be open to everybody. And I don't believe anyone is being asked to "give their tickets away". That's like saying the Super Bowl in Indy should have been filled with all Colts STH because its in Lucas Oil, even though the Colts weren't playing.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to The Sleeze For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Sleeze View Post
    why shouldn't it be open to everybody.

It would be.

There is nothing stopping anybody right now from buying season tickets. BLF is not sold old. You'd also guarantee your NBA Finals/ ECF/ semifinals/ quarterfinals tickets (I probably should get on this myself before its too late.)

Meanwhile, it was Indiana Sports Corp. that put on the Super Bowl, not the Indianapolis Colts.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

I have tons of interest in having it. Really not sure why anyone wouldn't want to haveuit. I see no downside as a fan.
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

@LetsTalkPacers

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LetsTalkPacers84 View Post
    I have tons of interest in having it. Really not sure why anyone wouldn't want to haveuit. I see no downside as a fan.
    No home games for a long stretch? Not being able to get in to the game (or only being able to get in with nosebleed seats at Lucas Oil)? Not wanting PS&E to spend staff salary/time/effort on going after the ASG (which is done by the host club NOT the city like the Super Bowl)?

Never mind my personal opinion which is that the ASG is pretty much a meaningless crock of poop...
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

No home games for a long stretch? Not being able to get in to the game (or only being able to get in with nosebleed seats at Lucas Oil)? Not wanting PS&E to spend staff salary/time/effort on going after the ASG (which is done by the host club NOT the city like the Super Bowl)?

Never mind my personal opinion which is that the ASG is pretty much a meaningless crock of poop...

The Rockets had a home game just last Friday. They then had a three game West Coast road trip this week. That's not any different than what you have at other points in the season.

Sure your average Joe gets priced out of it, but your average Joe got priced out of the Super Bowl too. When the Pacers made the Finals in 2000, I'm guessing that your average Joe couldn't afford to buy marked up tickets. Final Four tickets are also insanely expensive. But these events were still great for the town to have. Downtown would be buzzing if we had the All Star game here.

How hard is it really for the host franchise to host the game? I'm being serious when I ask that. Wouldn't you get plenty of needed assistance from the league?

Personally, I think the Pacers owe it to the community to at least try, given that the community has given them millions and millions of tax dollars. There would be a nice influx of cash into downtown bars, restaurants, and hotels.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 02-15-2013 at 11:08 AM.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Sure your average Joe gets priced out of it, but your average Joe got priced out of the Super Bowl too. When the Pacers made the Finals in 2000, I'm guessing that your average Joe couldn't afford to buy marked up tickets.
    As a season ticket holder, back in 2000 my $25 (regular season) tickets in Section 222 cost $40 for The Finals, and I'd paid for them in February. I'm pretty sure the entire Fieldhouse was sold out for The Finals by the end of February.

I have no idea what the secondary market prices were for those tickets. That's why - when I lived in Indy - I was a S/T holder so that I'd have guaranteed playoff seats and not be subject to the secondary market.

So what's your definition of average Joe - average Joe S/T holder or average Joe on the secondary market?

Because I think the point is that a very small portion of S/T holders would even get the opportunity to buy ASG tickets at face value.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    As a season ticket holder, back in 2000 my $25 (regular season) tickets in Section 222 cost $40 for The Finals, and I'd paid for them in February. I'm pretty sure the entire Fieldhouse was sold out for The Finals by the end of February.

I have no idea what the secondary market prices were for those tickets.

So what's your definition of average Joe - average Joe S/T holder or average Joe on the secondary market?

Because I think the point is that a very small portion of S/T holders would even get the opportunity to buy ASG tickets at face value.
    By "average Joe", I just mean your regular middle class person. I don't have any particular income cutoff that I'm talking about.

My point was that I don't think that people not being able to afford to go to the game is reason to not have it. Only a small % of people in Indy could afford to go to the Super Bowl, but it was still great for the community to have it. Only a small % of people in Indy can afford to go to the Final Four when it's here, but it's still a great event for the city to host. Even though only a small% of people could afford tickets, there would still be a ton of people who would walk around downtown to check out the festivities, go to bars, eat, etc etc. It would be great for downtown businesses.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar

Other then making excuses, it sounds like you work for PS&E and want to be lazy.
    There is no reason for the All Stars not to be here other then the people in charge don't want to bother with it. I think if it was here that it would be a huge success. Indiana loves basketball and they would flock to see all the stars over a 3 day weekend.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    Other then making excuses, it sounds like you work for PS&E and want to be lazy.
    There is no reason for the All Stars not to be here other then the people in charge don't want to bother with it. I think if it was here that it would be a huge success. Indiana loves basketball and they would flock to see all the stars over a 3 day weekend.
    This. However I do respect what BillS is saying. Those just arent my problems.
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

@LetsTalkPacers

24. The Following User Says Thank You to LetsTalkPacers84 For This Useful Post:

None of that bothers me. Im sure I can get tickets to ASG easier than I could the Superbowl. And even without tix my family still spend tons of hours in Indy for those events. I could care less how much time and effort that PS&E have to put in. Im a fan, I want everything and dont care how I get it.

@LetsTalkPacers

A lot of people in Indianapolis would probably hate bringing the NBA into town at this magnitude.
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    A lot of people in Indianapolis would probably hate bringing the NBA into town at this magnitude.
    Why is that?

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

Mood

Phase 1: Collect Underpants.
    Phase 2: ???
    Phase 3: Profit.

Sadly, interest in the NBA as a whole is very low in Indianapolis.

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    Phase 1: Collect Underpants.
    Phase 2: ???
    Phase 3: Profit.

Sadly, interest in the NBA as a whole is very low in Indianapolis.
    Could this not help? Again I go back to SB. Ive never been to 1 Colts game, and though Im a fan of them. I dont follow the NFL all too much. But me and my family loved the SB events. Even drove from Anderson multiple times to spend plenty of money i Indy. There really is no valid excuse not to have it here. If we can handle the SB, we can handle an ASG.

@LetsTalkPacers

Lol, no doubt we would out do Houston's attendance for rising stars practice. They look to have maybe a few hundred fans in the house.

Horologist Extraordinaire t1hs0n's Avatar

Nah....

I have no interest in All-Star games in any sport.

It's not worth it.

Plus from a purely egotistical standpoint, I don't want to see a bunch of corporate suits sitting in sections 101 and 120 while the diehards who normally live in those spots and other season ticket holders are stuck in the balcony, if they can get in the arena at all.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    It's not worth it.

Plus from a purely egotistical standpoint, I don't want to see a bunch of corporate suits sitting in sections 101 and 120 while the diehards who normally live in those spots and other season ticket holders are stuck in the balcony, if they can get in the arena at all.
    Your not being serious...