Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bobcats are shopping Ben Gordon hard, whatcha think fellow fans?

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default Re: Bobcats are shopping Ben Gordon hard, whatcha think fellow fans?

Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Go look up how much he makes.
    And then go look how tall he is. OJ is bigger than him at SG.

Gordon wants to be a one-man dribble drive attack machine in the Kemba Walker mold. Neither have the height to be great defenders and I'm not sure either has the will either.

In other words, hell no I do not want to make the epic mistake Detroit already did.

Keep in mind that Gerald Green put up really nice numbers for the Nets last year whenever you look at some other guy that looks good when you check in on him from time to time and mostly just look at the box score, or when recalling how great he seemed 4 years ago. I'd rather chase a young prospect from another team.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    Spock - huh? reaction to the Granger for BG and pick swap proposal
    I never get over how people drool all over picks. Not that draft picks aren't great assets if used correctly, but they are massive gambles even for the smart GMs and you should NEVER trade a great, proven player for a big gamble. Granger for Gordon + moving up in draft = Antonio Davis for Bender. Thanks for costing the team a title, great move.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Gordon wants to be a one-man dribble drive attack machine in the Kemba Walker mold. Neither have the height to be great defenders and I'm not sure either has the will either.
    Don't know if I agree that Gordon is taking that approach. But I feel like Kemba is forced to do that in Charlotte....really awkward watching their offense because most of the times theres no movement on the floor and the sets almost necessitate Kemba to always create something out of nothing.

Ben has been a real streaky shooter in Charlotte but has quietly had some real good outings coming off the bench. Seeing as they traded Magette for him, they got the better in a salary swap. But to answer the original question, there is no way I would trade for him. And certainly not Granger. I can't believe that was even proposed.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think some people just see names of players and go "YES! I WANT HIM!" just for the sake of us bringing someone here. They'll also sometimes throw in stats to back-up their opinion. Those people never seem to take into account their contracts, how they'd mesh on the court, and just as important, how they mesh in the locker room.

Impulse Trades. No thank you.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    I think some people just see names of players and go "YES! I WANT HIM!" just for the sake of us bringing someone here. They'll also sometimes throw in stats to back-up their opinion. Those people never seem to take into account their contracts, how they'd mesh on the court, and just as important, how they mesh in the locker room.

Impulse Trades. No thank you.
    yeh, impulse trades/ trades for the sake of making trades are not what i want to see happen. not only do i see a guy not worth anything close to what he makes, i think his attitude is crap and could easily poison the locker room.
    he is currently charlotte's problem and i don't want him pulling stunts like that over here.
    let him become someone else's mistake.

Would be awfully expensive for Charlotte to unload Gordon on us... A first and MKG, while taking back Green... Doubt Charlotte wants to get rid of him that badly...

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I never get over how people drool all over picks. Not that draft picks aren't great assets if used correctly, but they are massive gambles even for the smart GMs and you should NEVER trade a great, proven player for a big gamble. Granger for Gordon + moving up in draft = Antonio Davis for Bender. Thanks for costing the team a title, great move.
    Of course there's an element of gambling to it. You can say the same about any transaction, whether it be drafting, a trade, or free agency. The object is to weigh the risk/cost against the reward, the likelihood of either scenario coming to fruition, and to make smart moves based on that analysis.

In this situation, it's an aging, banged-up Danny Granger -- who we probably can't afford to keep, long-term -- versus a top prospect on a rookie contract, as well as a very serviceable scoring threat in Gordon. That doesn't sound like a bad deal to me.

You can claim that Danny Granger is the difference between us winning and losing a championship. I can counter by claiming that one more top-tier prospect to build our team around is the difference between us winning and losing multiple championships.

As for the example you used: So what? You using a single example of when the veteran-for-a-pick gamble didn't pay off does nothing to discredit the idea. I can counter your example by pleading to the Jermaine-to-Toronto deal, where we ended up with our starting center and the foundation of our elite defense via the draft pick we landed in said deal.

Also, while Bender was a bad pick, landing the fifth pick was a coup. Rip Hamilton, Andre Miller, Shawn Marion, and Jason Terry were four of the next five picks after Bender, anyone of which would've made that deal an easy win for us.

I definitely agree with your general point, draft picks traditionally are pretty damn overvalued in the NBA. But I really do think with the new CBA they're really, really important. A good player on a rookie deal is the best contract you can have in the NBA, and you get first refusal rights after that deal. Look what Cleveland's doing, when you're a small market team limited financially they have a TON of value. I'm not endorsing a Gordon + Bobcats 1st for Danny proposal, but more because I don't see the point of Charlotte doing it more than anything.

When you have a chance to trade Danny Granger for an undersized backup SG malcontent making 12m a year for 2 seasons who is available to be traded from the worst team in the league because he just showed up his coach in practice like an 8 year old, you have to do it.....

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Man, Green for Henderson would be a nice trade though. Too bad there's no way anyone in their right mind would do that. Can't imagine MJ thinks too highly of the Pacers either (from both his playing days and the fact that we just signed DJA as opposed to sign and trade), so any trade there would have to be heavy in their favor.
    Forever struggling to convince myself "In Larry we trust"
    Writer at NoseBleedSectionSports.com

Quote Originally Posted by mitchbr View Post
    Man, Green for Henderson would be a nice trade though. Too bad there's no way anyone in their right mind would do that. Can't imagine MJ thinks too highly of the Pacers either (from both his playing days and the fact that we just signed DJA as opposed to sign and trade), so any trade there would have to be heavy in their favor.
    They could have done a sign and trade if they wanted, we tried. Besides, I doubt Jordan's too upset about losing Augustin. You've seen him play right?

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post: