View Poll Results: Who is the 3rd best wing in the game?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Paul George

6 9.52%
  • Carmelo Anthony

26 41.27%
  • Kobe Bryant

24 38.10%
  • Dwyane Wade

7 11.11%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is the 3rd best wing player in the game?

Default Who is the 3rd best wing player in the game?

Do you guys think Paul George has developed into the 3rd best wing player in the league already, or is Kobe, Wade, Carmelo still ahead of him? This is for this year only on the voting not for the future, I personally think I would take PG over Kobe and Wade but I am not sure about Carmelo. What do you guys think? Obviously, LeBron is 1 and Durant is 2.

Default Re: Who is the 3rd best wing player in the game?

Umm....let's not get ahead of ourselves.

3. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Ransom For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Take into account defense, I think that all four of these players are close. Out of the four I think PG is obviously the best defensively at this point in their careers. Offensively I'd say Melo is the best. I did vote for Melo, but I think it is closer than what you think.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Add James Harden to the list of players better.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Yeah, I forgot about Harden. He is another name that belongs on this list. Here are my rankings:

1) LeBron
    2) Durant
    3) Melo
    4) PG
    5) Kobe
    6) Wade
    7) Harden

Paul George is the 2nd best wing defender in the league after LeBron in my opinion. Combined that with what he does on the offensive end and I think he belongs in this group. Wade is far from the 2006 Wade, and Kobe is nowhere near the old Kobe either. Again, this is just my opinion but put LeBron next to Paul George and nobody would score. That duo would be better than LeBron, Wade I think.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brownjake43 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Are you joking, man?
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yoadknux For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Cool Re: Who is the 3rd best wing player in the game?

Quote Originally Posted by brownjake43 View Post
    Do you guys think Paul George has developed into the 3rd best wing player in the league already, or is Kobe, Wade, Carmelo still ahead of him? This is for this year only on the voting not for the future, I personally think I would take PG over Kobe and Wade but I am not sure about Carmelo. What do you guys think? Obviously, LeBron is 1 and Durant is 2.
    They are all ahead of him. Way ahead of him. There are many more that are ahead of him too. He might be about ready to break into the top ten....... ...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What about Iggy?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to KingGeorge For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Melo because Kobe is out of his prime. If this was a question 2 or 3 years ago Kobe would be #1. PG still is developing so no for right now.
    "We want Miami"

It will still take some time. Paul George is certainly in the top 10 but not yet a top 3 guy at the wing.

Of course right now we know who are the top 2 (LBJ and KD) but Kobe is still a better player, Melo is the 2nd best scorer, and DWade, hate him or not, is still a better wing player right now.

Harden is debatable, but as far as offense is concerned he's way ahead of him right now. But of course in defense PG is leading that part. So it's between a strong sword vs. the strong shield argument.

I always thought that PG will be at Iggy level in year 3 in terms of all-around game. But PG just accelerated his development and he's becoming LeBron-lite in terms of putting up numbers across the board. So with all due respect to Iggy, PG is already a better player than him.

It's still too early right now. It's just his 1st year breaking out into an All-star level player. Let's see next year if he can maintain this level of play. But I wouldn't be surprised if he cracks down into the top 3 at some point in his career.

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by 15th parallel View Post
    It will still take some time. Paul George is certainly in the top 10 but not yet a top 3 guy at the wing.

Of course right now we know who are the top 2 (LBJ and KD) but Kobe is still a better player, Melo is the 2nd best scorer, and DWade, hate him or not, is still a better wing player right now.

Harden is debatable, but as far as offense is concerned he's way ahead of him right now. But of course in defense PG is leading that part. So it's between a strong sword vs. the strong shield argument.

I always thought that PG will be at Iggy level in year 3 in terms of all-around game. But PG just accelerated his development and he's becoming LeBron-lite in terms of putting up numbers across the board. So with all due respect to Iggy, PG is already a better player than him.

It's still too early right now. It's just his 1st year breaking out into an All-star level player. Let's see next year if he can maintain this level of play. But I wouldn't be surprised if he cracks down into the top 3 at some point in his career.
    There is nothing Lebron like about PG. He isn't even in the same universe with Lebron or Durant....... ...

Quote Originally Posted by KingGeorge View Post
    What about Iggy?
    Paul is actually a much better shooter and thus a better scorer than Iggy is. Their defense is about the same, and Paul may be a better rebounder.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I love what Paul is becoming but I have him ranked 7th.

1. Lebron
    2. Durant
    3. Melo
    4. Kobe
    5. Wade
    6. Harden
    7. PG
    8. Ginobilli
    9. Paul Pierce
    10. Josh Smith
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

You all value offense a lot more than defense. In a half court offense he is still excelling. He is not a volume shooter like most of the guys you listed. I also only see one player on that list that plays better defense.

It appears most of you only care about the amount of points he can put up and not the fact that he is a better defender, and rebounder than almost everyone that was listed.

Quote Originally Posted by dohman View Post
    It appears most of you only care about the amount of points he can put up and not the fact that he is a better defender, and rebounder than almost everyone that was listed.
    Or people put more premuim on guys who've played at this level for season after season after season, than a guy who's done it for less than 40 games?

We all hope PG gets to those heights, but you don't leap frog guys like Kobe who've been doing it 10+ years in less than half a season.

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dohman View Post
    You all value offense a lot more than defense. In a half court offense he is still excelling. He is not a volume shooter like most of the guys you listed. I also only see one player on that list that plays better defense.

Paul is shooting a far worse percentage than those "volume shooters."

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm starting to feel like all topics should have to be cleared by moderators before being posted....
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    10. Josh Smith
    ? he's a wing?

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Or people put more premuim on guys who've played at this level for season after season after season, than a guy who's done it for less than 40 games?

We all hope PG gets to those heights, but you don't leap frog guys like Kobe who've been doing it 10+ years in less than half a season.

Thats a good way to look at it. Kobe scored 80 once so he is still clearly better.

Let me know how that is working out for the lakers this year. Kthnx

I think it should go without saying, but saying that Paul is not as good as any of the players that have been listed in this thread, is in no way a knock against him. I don't think there are any bigger fans of Paul George on this board than I am, but no need to put the cart before the horse.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    I think it should go without saying, but saying that Paul is not as good as any of the players that have been listed in this thread, is in no way a knock against him. I don't think there are any bigger fans of Paul George on this board than I am, but no need to put the cart before the horse.

If we are judging on THIS YEAR you have to look at the fact that he out rebounds, out blocks, out steals, and forces he opponents to shoot a lower FG percentage. He may score 8-10 ppg less than others listed but his impact on a game is mucher larger than scoring.

If I had to choose out of those 4 which player I would give a 5-6 yr contract, I would choose PG without thinking. If we are talking about today, you have to put Kobe and Carmelo ahead of them, and probably Harden. Obviously Wade can do his thing, but he has been losing consistency lately. Still a tougher question than many are making it out to be. If you listed "in the next 5 years" as part of the criteria, PG would have been the one.

I brought up last season who would be the best SG when Kobe and Wade decline. I thought it would be PG but I don't think anyone else did.

PG can win a lot of heads up match ups against those players, but I think they are likely to have a bigger impact over 82 games.

So most of you said Kobe was (which is ridiculous, I'll get to that later) but I'll say this. Take Kobe and PG on their best day right now and PG would flat out beat Kobe. Easy. No contest. But he is NOT better. Because you can't count on PG's best game. He's inconsistent. He's young. One game he has 1 TO. The next he has 8. One game he has 30 points. The next he has 5. PG is just not as good as any of the other mentioned players.

The nice thing is he's making up ground quickly. We know he'll get there because on occasion we say PG play up to his potential and beat the absolute best in the game. George is a superstar in the making. One in the making who scored 5 points just a few games ago lol.

Back to Kobe - A lot of really smart, (much smarter than me) boarders all said Kobe is the third best wing. Some people just see players as who they were and simply can't grasp decline I don't think.

Kobe is a JOKE on defense right now. A joke. He is NOT better than 'Melo who currently has the second best team in the Eastern conference. He's not better than Wade who still contributes on both sides of the court at a high level.

Reminds me of all the people who still want to refer to Nash as a top tier pointguard. Yeah. He was great. He's not anymore. Players decline it happens. It doesn't effect their legacy. It just means we have to remember when they were great, and accept they no longer play at that level.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

3rd best wing player? No way its Paul George...

James, KD, Kobe...thats three that are ahead of him
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.