Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: On Gerald Green's value

Banned

Default Re: On Gerald Green's value

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What is your definition of "fail"? I think Ian was an absolute upgrade over Lou, to the point of saving us from Roy's offensive slumping in some games. DJ was a meh to poor, though he has been doing better. The draft of OJ was good, draft of Miles was meh - so far haven't seen any kind of OMG FAIL! based on those drafted after him, though we have some hints at a player or two who would have been more successful but not any kind of missed star. Green has not lived up to anyone's expectations (even vnzla81 was more against the contract than the acquisition), who expected that?

I think we didn't downgrade the bench, improvement remains to be seen once we see more of Lance and Ian on the floor as supporting options for one another off the bench. I wouldn't call it a particular success, but I wouldn't stamp it as a shameful failure either.
    By off season I mean free agent signings, yes Hill and Hibbert were re-signed and OJ has been a surprised, I'm not talking about them I'm talking about the other "upgrades" the ones that were supposed to put the Pacers on the next level, that has been a fail, yes Ian is an upgrade over Lou but at what cost? Green and DJ have been a fail, and I don't really care about Young or Ben.

At the end of the day if you compare this bench to the one last year the bench is worse and that equals a fail off season. By the way I expect Green's and Ian's contract to affect the Pacers the same way Perkins's contract affected OKC, the Pacers are going to get rid of Danny or West because they are paying too much for bench players that don't make a difference.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    I would see if the Thunder would give up Eric Maynor for Gerald Green.

Maynor has fallen to 3rd PG and OKC at least runs enough to ponder the appeal of GG playing garbage minutes.

Maynor is 6'3" with good pure PG skills and I think he'd run the second unit better than DJ, but then again something has held him back so who knows.
    That guy is so overrated in my eyes. He can't shoot, he can't score, and he's not an outstanding defender. He literally doesn't do much of anything except make the occasional good pass here or there. The ability to "run a team" is overrated sometimes.

Buuuuut if it gets us out of Green's contract, then hell....may have to look into it

The thing that bothers me about the Green signing is that he was our first choice and Carlos Delfino was our second choice. In terms of which one was more likely to give you dependable production, I would think Delfino should be the first target, ahead of Green.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

I have used toilet paper with more value then GG

Quote Originally Posted by dohman View Post
    I have used toilet paper with more value then GG
    Why would you keep your used TP ??

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    I'm going to go way out on a limb and say that the Nets scouting department has watched more of 2012-2013 Gerald Green than one random fan on a realgm message board.
    That's true. But they have also watched more Keith Bogans and Jerry Stackhouse than one random fan on PacersDigest
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    Why would you keep your used TP ??
    maybe he's on a Carnival cruise?
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    By the way I expect Green's and Ian's contract to affect the Pacers the same way Perkins's contract affected OKC, the Pacers are going to get rid of Danny or West because they are paying too much for bench players that don't make a difference.
    Well, considering Mahinmi and Green combined make less than Perkins, probably not. Mahinmi is tradable - good backup C's have good trade value. Green's contract is a problem, but not a huge one.

Also, OKC didn't trade Harden because of Perkins. They traded Harden because paying Durant, Westbrook, Harden, and Ibaka will also certainly put them over the tax. Just as for the Pacers, paying all the core guys - George, Hibbert, West, Hill, Stephenson, and Granger is virtually impossible without going over the tax. It's not because of the bench contracts.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

His game overall has improved but it's not at the point where he could be a solid trade block player. I think Vogel and the rest of the team will convince him to work harder because of his unbelievable potential he has
    Smothered Chicken!

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I'll put it this way, I do not understand why any team would want him. Not saying there aren't any teams out there who would take him, but I think if they watched him play this season I don't understand why anyone would want him
    Because Green has sucked a lot after an ankle injury. He was decent before that and there are several teams out there that could use his skill set.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    Because Green has sucked a lot after an ankle injury. He was decent before that and there are several teams out there that could use his skill set.
    He still doesn't have a clue how to play basketball.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    I hear ya, but look at Green's career b4 that.
    Looking at his career is what is making me hopeful about Green. And that's what other teams may look at and decide to take a flyer on him.

Look, our offense is horrible. I repeat, it's horrible without Danny. Really, if Wall didn't miss such a big part of the season then we could have the worst offense in the league. Only Lance, West and PG lately are shooting with a respectable %. Imo, that's a weapon. Teams could think that "hey, their offense sucks so it's normal that his FG% is low". Couple that with his reported ankle injury and they could see that it is very probable that he will find his shot soon enough.

Honestly, the guy has not been a bad shooter throughout his career. Before this season, his career total from 3 was 173 out of 473. That's a 36.5 3p%. That's hardly garbage. Given his well-known athleticism and his good shooting percentage throughout his career (36.8% in good volume at Celtics and 39.1% in decent volume albeit not a lot of games at Nets), it's not out of the question to believe that a team that needs a player of his skillset (athletic wing that can shoot the 3) would want him. There are much worse contracts out there.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    At the end of the day if you compare this bench to the one last year the bench is worse and that equals a fail off season.
    It isn't worse though. That's the point.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    Looking at his career is what is making me hopeful about Green. And that's what other teams may look at and decide to take a flyer on him.
    What about his career has you hopeful? Less than half of a lockout shortened season, does not a career make.

Regardless of his career 3 point shooting percentage. There is a reason he washed out of the league, and is now affectionately known as "the dumbest player in the history of the NBA."

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    He still doesn't have a clue how to play basketball.
    First, I have to say that this statement is a bit too sensationalized for my taste. You have every reason to have that opinion, though

Second, so? There are several players on the NBA that have no clue how to play basketball. Green has a very specific skillset. He is an athletic wing that can shoot the 3 and dunk when given space. That's what he mostly does. Do you disagree with this assessment? If you want to disagree, I'd love to listen to your reasoning

If you don't disagree, let me ask this. Don't you think that there are some teams that could use Green's skillset out there? If yes, then why do we think that he has no value at all? Why do we need to freak out?

I was reading clutchfans the other day and there were several Rockets fans that didn't seem to think that were willing to ship out Patrick Patterson for a 2nd rounder. I laughed when I read it. Patterson is nothing special but my god, his value ain't so low. He is a 3rd year, 6'9 Power Forward that can score and stretch the floor. He is a bad rebounder for his size and position and doesn't do much else except from scoring but he still has 2 years in his rookie deal and he isn't going to demand a lot of money at 2014/2015 when his rookie deal expires. Why would one want to get rid of him for a 2nd rounder?

Look, I get that fans can get frustrated and quickly grow to underestimate a player of their team. The opposite also happens. But let's keep some perspective. That's why I love reading the boards of other teams. It helps us to keep perspectives. An outsider is almost always more objective than a hardcore fan.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    The thing that bothers me about the Green signing is that he was our first choice and Carlos Delfino was our second choice. In terms of which one was more likely to give you dependable production, I would think Delfino should be the first target, ahead of Green.
    Absolutely, Delfino had a proven record over Green. IMO, Walsh was looking at the athleticism of Green feeling the Pacers needed more of it. I know Carlos didn't sign a contract until later in the off season, but what gets me is his contract wasn't fully guaranteed where as Green's is. Then that's not to say Walsh wouldn't have given Carlos Delfino a guaranteed contract too. He rec'd a 2 year contract with the 2nd year unguaranteed for 3 mil a year. He's averaging 10/3/2 at 41%/37%/80%.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Ian and OJ are great pickups.
    Plumlee is still unknown at this point. He is the 5th big and a rookie at the end of the 1st rnd. Can't expect much. Doesn't mean it was a bad pick.
    DJ is what he is. He is a good pg filling a roll for probably less then a season on a cheap expiring.
    Green, although I was sceptical about his pickup, I'm still cool with his contract. He has a good contract. He has played well on both sides of the ball, excluding his fg %. If he was hitting at a higher rate we would all be loving his contract and bench roll. I think he will come around. I think he might get traded to a team like the Rockets, Warriors, Suns, Wolves or Cavs cause he is a dynamic, fast pace type player on a cheap contract. Many rookie deals are worse then his.
    Signing Hibbert and Hill are good pickups.
    So overall I think last summer can be considered very successful.
    Last edited by Pacer Fan; 02-14-2013 at 02:44 PM.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    What about his career has you hopeful? Less than half of a lockout shortened season, does not a career make.
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...greenge01.html

2nd year at the Celtics. Also, in every other season he proved 2 things.

1) He couldn't stay on a team.

2) He can shoot the ball and he is athletic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    There is a reason he washed out of the league
    He washed out of the league due to character issues as far as I recall. He doesn't seem to have those issues now.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

All players with this small of a contract, and lack of "issues" have some value. As far as him working out here. I think it has a lot to do with our system, his style of play, and the fact that PG and Lance are killing it.

With Orlando showing signs of talent, and Danny coming back. Id be surprised if we don't move him.
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

@LetsTalkPacers

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    His game overall has improved but it's not at the point where he could be a solid trade block player. I think Vogel and the rest of the team will convince him to work harder because of his unbelievable potential he has
    Normally when you are 25 years old, you have to give up on the potential aspect, and realizing that is exactly what you are going to get.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    Normally when you are 25 years old, you have to give up on the potential aspect, and realizing that is exactly what you are going to get.
    Yep, no improvement after 25, majority of players peak by 25...give me a break.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LetsTalkPacers84 View Post
    All players with this small of a contract, and lack of "issues" have some value. As far as him working out here. I think it has a lot to do with our system, his style of play, and the fact that PG and Lance are killing it.

With Orlando showing signs of talent, and Danny coming back. Id be surprised if we don't move him.

He's owed $7M over the next two seasons. It's not like he signed for the league minimum. I'm not totally convinced that he has any positive value as a trade asset right now unless it's in a deal when we're taking on a worse contract.

I guarantee TYLER gets traded.. Chances are Green is in the deal with him, He has some value... Our offense is HORRIBLE, Green was scoring no problem last year on THe Nets.. He has value.. I'd like to see Tyler and Green packaged for a good shooting guard... Between DJ, TYLER, and GREEN would should be able to get the shooter that we need. If DJ and/or Tyler are involved.. we have the pieces to fill in so they're not missed... GO PACERS

Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    The thing that bothers me about the Green signing is that he was our first choice and Carlos Delfino was our second choice.
    I would've stopped right there. We should've aimed higher. Or if not, just sign a Sam Young to a vet minimum deal and get the same/better production.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    He was really brought in to bring energy off the bench
    I think that he was brought in for his athleticism, his length and his shooting.....which fits the
    type of Players that Vogel wants on the wing on the defensive end.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.