Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: On Gerald Green's value

I Believe In Gerald Green repole's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: On Gerald Green's value

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That was 4 years ago, and happened to be the season that he played himself out of the league for over two years. He also played less than 10MPG for Dallas and was completely out of the rotation by the time the playoffs rolled around. He wasn't a contributor on that squad in any meaningful way. I don't think citing that season as an example of productivity makes any sense at all.
    I cite it because MvPlumlee is trying to claim that there was some reason to believe Green would come in and shoot 35% due to all this immense pressure of being on a playoff team. For this to be true, there'd have to be some tangible example of Green's jumpshot ******** the bed in a high pressure situation, and since his shot didn't do that in Dallas (the rest of his game may have, but not his shot), no such example exists.

My point isn't that Green played well in Dallas or anything like that, only that there simply is no evidence to suggest coming into this season that Green would struggle shooting the ball because of the pressure of Indiana/his new role. There may not be much evidence to suggest the contrary either, but again, my entire point is that to try and claim that anyone should have seen 35% shooting coming is ridiculous.

A Gerald Green fan who now finds himself rooting for the Suns.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to repole For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MvPlumlee View Post
    Nope, you just can't accept the possibility that Gerald Green might always be a terrible jumpshooter when there is pressure on him or when he isn't playing for a lottery team(Nets).
    When there is pressure on him?

Wasn't he under pressure to prove that he was worth of a lottery pick for the Celtics? He shot 36.8% from 3 and averaged 10.4 PPG as a scorer off the bench for the Celtics in his second season (06-07). In his first season he only shot 30% from 3 (6-20) but he did shot 47.8% from the field (66-138).

Thing is that Green is for his career a 34.6% shooter from 3. Even with this abysmal his season factored in, his career average is more than respectable. He isn't a terrible jumpshooter.

Numbers don't lie.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...greenge01.html
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Numbers don't lie, no. Stats do however. When the numbers get a meaning, there is always interpretation involved.

Some players put up great stats on bad teams. Some players put up great stats because of the free offense. Some players put up great stats because other players help them a lot...

Quote Originally Posted by repole View Post
    Please, tell me what logical reason there was to believe that a guy who shot 42% for his career and 35% from three would turn into a 35%/28% shooter this year? The Mavs were a playoff team and he shot 44% for them. There were plenty of reasons to think Green might not fit here, but there were absolutely none to think he'd be THIS bad.
    Yet, he IS this bad. There has to be a reason why and that implies people could have known. Scouts, GMs get payed to predict stuff like this.
    That doesn't mean I predicted he would be this bad, but I'm no scout or GM.

Sports Logo

Numbers don't lie, no. Stats do however. When the numbers get a meaning, there is always interpretation involved.
    3 point percentage is a pretty strict number. It is open to interpretation regarding volume. But that's it. There's no other interpretation.

If you shoot 34.6% from 3 for your career then it's pretty clear that you are not a bad jump shooter. Certainly not an 28% one.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's not the best contract, but it's not going to cripple our salary cap management either.

I don't think you can necessarily blame the Pacers for taking a flyer on Green. He's young, athletic, and fits in with the rest of our young core. Yes, he was putting up nice numbers on a bad team in New Jersey, in fact a career year, but it's not like the Pacers were expecting him to come in and be the #1 scoring option. All they were looking for was someone who could create their own shot and score off the bench. It hasn't worked out so far, but too many people are playing Monday Morning Quarterback here on a contract that quite frankly isn't worth such an intense discussion.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

I Believe In Gerald Green repole's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

MvPlumlee is basically trying to argue that anything and everything can and should be predicted. It's the same as getting mad at every NFL team for passing on Tom Brady because somehow, scouts should have been able to tell that he'd become one of the all time greats, even though even the biggest Michigan fans would have told you he was a long shot to be a starting NFL QB.

Sometimes factors come into play that no one could have reasonably been expected to anticipate. That's what has happened with Green here, and it sucks, but the blame should mostly be on him, not the front office.

A Gerald Green fan who now finds himself rooting for the Suns.

We disagree, that's all. I believe our FO is also to blame.

But in no way or shape I'm mad at them.

I like Green and I'm one of the few that doesn't want to trade him. We have yet to see the best Pacers Green.
    Next season he will know his teammates, he will know our offense and defense and even this season he can be useful as the 9th or 10th player off the bench where he doesn't have so much pressure on his shoulders.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like Green and I'm one of the few that doesn't want to trade him. We have yet to see the best Pacers Green.
    Next season he will know his teammates, he will know our offense and defense and even this season he can be useful as the 9th or 10th player off the bench where he doesn't have so much pressure on his shoulders.
    Just think how good he's going to be once that tornado sweeps him up and he goes to Oz with all the other misfits and mutants lacking things like "a heart" or "courage." Once that boy completes that journey and gets his brain, you've got something sweeter than Yoo-hoo.