Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 73

Thread: Keeping Paul George and David West

  1. #1

    Question Keeping Paul George and David West

    If we afford Paul George a Max extension at the end of the year, what kind of money are we looking at? I think it's less that if we wait and let his contract expire, right? Can we extend him for that kind of money after this year and still keep West? CBA is not my strong point by any means so any help from the stat folks would be welcomed.

  2. #2
    Custom User Titleist
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pacer Purgatory Praying for Paul
    Posts
    3,558
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Deeping Paul George and David West

    I don't want either one of them "deeped".

    I would, however, like to have the Pacers retain both of their services.

  3. #3
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,330

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Deeping Paul George and David West

    PG would likely be looking at the Roy deal.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  4. #4
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,049

    Default Re: Deeping Paul George and David West

    I think he meant 'Keeping' in the title.

  5. #5
    Member bshall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Huntington
    Age
    20
    Posts
    77

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Deeping Paul George and David West

    I was kinda scared to click on this thread....

  6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bshall For This Useful Post:


  7. #6
    Dream Big
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, Indiana
    Posts
    2,670

    Default Re: Deeping Paul George and David West


  8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tora tora For This Useful Post:


  9. #7
    Member Dr. Awesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    4,249

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Deeping Paul George and David West

    Quote Originally Posted by tora tora View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hahahahahahhahaha, well played.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:


  11. #8
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,082

    Default Re: Deeping Paul George and David West

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't want either one of them "deeped".
    I'm pretty sure the past tense is actually "dept"....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:


  13. #9
    Member jeffg-body's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    3,443
    Mood

    Default Re: Deeping Paul George and David West

    I have been hoping that we could keep Paul, DW and Danny together. If it came down to it I would rather trade Danny and keep our current "big three" as Roy, Paul and DW. This is coming from a Danny fan as well. I think we should wait on it though to see how they all play together and if they can co-exist. I am not good with the cap and maybe someone could figure a way.

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeffg-body For This Useful Post:


  15. #10
    Member Indra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    435

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Deeping Paul George and David West

    I agree, jeffg-body. If Roy Hibbert ever comes out of this slump all the way we will have an amazing core. As much as I love DG (and I do love me some DG) I would be more willing to part with him than PG, Hibs, or DW. It will be hard to replace Hibbert's presence on defense, West's veteran leadership and clutch playmaking, and George's skyrocketing trajectory in all aspects of his game.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Indra For This Useful Post:


  17. #11
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,297

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Keeping Paul George and David West

    Quote Originally Posted by Cousy47 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If we afford Paul George a Max extension at the end of the year, what kind of money are we looking at? I think it's less that if we wait and let his contract expire, right? Can we extend him for that kind of money after this year and still keep West? CBA is not my strong point by any means so any help from the stat folks would be welcomed.
    There's no incentive for Paul George to agree to an extension. He'll play out the life of his contract and then sign a max deal but not before it expires.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:


  19. #12
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,256

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Keeping Paul George and David West

    Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's no incentive for Paul George to agree to an extension. He'll play out the life of his contract and then sign a max deal but not before it expires.
    His situation will be very similar to what happened with Roy. He (most likely) won't sign a qualifying offer, and play out his existing contract. He'll then become a restricted Free Agent and then will be signed to the "max deal" that is appropriate for his tenure in the league.

  20. #13
    THE WITCH IS DEAD!!! Coopdog23's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Da Bank
    Posts
    2,897

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Keeping Paul George and David West

    I know West will re sign because he wants to stay in Indiana to win a title here. I'm certain that PG won't ask for a max deal but he can ask for more
    "We want Miami"

  21. #14

    Default Re: Keeping Paul George and David West

    Did I mis-spell Keeping? If I did thanks to whoever fixed it. I also missed on offered, but no one caught that! Ace E., didn't using the extension help Minn. keep Love last year? Some times the "bird in the hand" thing can make a person not take a chance on being a RFA. Remember, "Many a slip, twixt cup and lip". If we wait until 2014, we are facing re-signing PG and DG and Lance? at the same time. Assuming West stays at decent money, we would be looking at a lot of salary cap, no?
    Last edited by Cousy47; 02-14-2013 at 01:38 PM.

  22. #15
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,232

    Default Re: Keeping Paul George and David West

    Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know West will re sign because he wants to stay in Indiana to win a title here. I'm certain that PG won't ask for a max deal but he can ask for more
    What do you mean?
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  23. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dillon, Co
    Posts
    3,936

    Default Re: Keeping Paul George and David West

    Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's no incentive for Paul George to agree to an extension. He'll play out the life of his contract and then sign a max deal but not before it expires.
    I don't see any reason for the Pacers to sign him early either if they're going to give him the max. See how far he develops and then give him the max at the end of his contract as you suggest. The only reason for a team to sign a player to an extension early would be to save money like they did with Granger. They extended Granger for less then the max just before he had his breakout all star year in which he averaged almost 26 ppg. It seems like a lot of people forget just how good Granger was that year when comparing him to PG. If they hadn't extended him, he'd be making a lot more money right now.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:


  25. #17
    THE WITCH IS DEAD!!! Coopdog23's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Da Bank
    Posts
    2,897

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Keeping Paul George and David West

    Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What do you mean?
    by what?
    "We want Miami"

  26. #18
    Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Indy's North Side
    Posts
    1,540

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Keeping Paul George and David West

    IMO we roll w/ Danny this season, & see where we get. In the off-season however I think we look to move him. I'm sure we will be looking to lock up D.West & extending P.George to bigger money deals, & w/ Roy's deal not going anywhere, Danny is the logical player to move. His deal will be expiring, & if he shows to be healthy he will hold value, esp for a team that might have a player they want to move to clear cap. This is not an anti-Danny decision by any means, as I like Danny, but it is purely a business decision. Besides, Paul has shown he is a better fit @ the 3, so moving Danny for a younger, cheaper player, esp a 2 would make the most sense. This could even be a move for a higher draft choice, as Lance has shown the ability to be a solid starter, so we would not require a "play now" player.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

  27. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dillon, Co
    Posts
    3,936

    Default Re: Keeping Paul George and David West

    We really don't have to make a decision on Granger until we get a grip on what his contract value would be and after we sign West. If the team can keep West to a contract near the range he's at now that would go a long way on keeping Granger long term. It's still very possible to just keep both players. At worst I wouldn't move Granger until this time next year.

  28. #20
    Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Dragon's Lair
    Posts
    4,102

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Keeping Paul George and David West

    Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know West will re sign because he wants to stay in Indiana to win a title here. I'm certain that PG won't ask for a max deal but he can ask for more
    Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What do you mean?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    by what?
    You say "I'm certain that PG won't ask for a max deal but he can ask for more."

    A max deal, is an abbreviated way of saying a maximum deal. Meaning he'll be getting the absolute most he is allowed to get under the CBA. I guess he can simply ask for more, but what purpose would it serve to ask for more than he can possibly get under any circumstance?

    Basically nothing in your original post made even a lick of sense. You do not know that West will re-sign. You do not know his reasons for possibly doing so. You cannot be certain that PG won't ask for a max deal. He cannot legitimately ask for more than the max. That's why it's called the max.

    I'm speaking for him, but it seems to me that owl asked what you meant, because everything that you said was complete and utter nonsense.

  29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:


  30. #21
    THE WITCH IS DEAD!!! Coopdog23's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Da Bank
    Posts
    2,897

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Keeping Paul George and David West

    Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You say "I'm certain that PG won't ask for a max deal but he can ask for more."

    A max deal, is an abbreviated way of saying a maximum deal. Meaning he'll be getting the absolute most he is allowed to get under the CBA. I guess he can simply ask for more, but what purpose would it serve to ask for more than he can possibly get under any circumstance?

    Basically nothing in your original post made even a lick of sense. You do not know that West will re-sign. You do not know his reasons for possibly doing so. You cannot be certain that PG won't ask for a max deal. He cannot legitimately ask for more than the max. That's why it's called the max.

    I'm speaking for him, but it seems to me that owl asked what you meant, because everything that you said was complete and utter nonsense.
    I know what max deal is dude. I don't believe he will ask for a max deal because i believe he doesn't want to leave the Pacers so asking for a max deal could really hurt the Pacers finacially
    "We want Miami"

  31. #22
    Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Dragon's Lair
    Posts
    4,102

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Keeping Paul George and David West

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We really don't have to make a decision on Granger until we get a grip on what his contract value would be and after we sign West. If the team can keep West to a contract near the range he's at now that would go a long way on keeping Granger long term. It's still very possible to just keep both players. At worst I wouldn't move Granger until this time next year.
    Assuming that Granger is close to the same player he was, which is a huge assumption to be making, it is going to be near impossible to keep George, West, and Granger.

    I would prioritize them in that order, George, then West, then Granger. George is the most important player for this franchise over the next decade. He's an absolute no-brainer. I hope they think West is as important as I do, and do everything in their power to get him locked in after this season. Granger unfortunately looks like the odd man out.

  32. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Keeping Paul George and David West

    Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know what max deal is dude. I don't believe he will ask for a max deal because i believe he doesn't want to leave the Pacers so asking for a max deal could really hurt the Pacers finacially
    The decision to take the max is not in Paul George's hands, just like Hibbert some team is going to offer him the max, he won't be able to refuse the offer and then the Pacers would have to match it.

    And the same thing is going to happen with West.

  33. #24
    Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Dragon's Lair
    Posts
    4,102

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Keeping Paul George and David West

    Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know what max deal is dude. I don't believe he will ask for a max deal because i believe he doesn't want to leave the Pacers so asking for a max deal could really hurt the Pacers finacially
    He's nearly 6'10". He's 22 years old. He's got out-of-this-world talent. He works his butt off.

    On top of that, he cares more about the finances of the Indiana Pacers than he does about his own family.

    Paul George, everybody.

  34. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:


  35. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dillon, Co
    Posts
    3,936

    Default Re: Keeping Paul George and David West

    Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Assuming that Granger is close to the same player he was, which is a huge assumption to be making, it is going to be near impossible to keep George, West, and Granger.

    I would prioritize them in that order, George, then West, then Granger. George is the most important player for this franchise over the next decade. He's an absolute no-brainer. I hope they think West is as important as I do, and do everything in their power to get him locked in after this season. Granger unfortunately looks like the odd man out.
    I agree with a lot of what you're saying in prioritizing who to keep and I think the team will also look at it that way. I don't think it's inevitable that we lose Granger. If Granger returns to last years form I still don't see him getting more then a 12 mil offer in todays cba. If we can keep West and Granger in the 10-12 range we can keep our starters at around 58 mil and just live with a weak bench to stay under 70-72 mil. None of this is an issue until PG is signed the year after Granger, so I think time is on our side and even if Granger is signed to a larger contract you can trade him during the summer that you sign PG to avoud the LT. There is no need to trade Granger this summer when you don't have to.

Similar Threads

  1. David West's transformation
    By mattie in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-29-2013, 05:51 PM
  2. Article: Paul George Puts Pressure on Paul George
    By Eddie Gill in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-02-2012, 08:29 PM
  3. Keeping David West
    By Cousy47 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 163
    Last Post: 10-12-2012, 10:05 AM
  4. Roy Hibbert vs Paul George vs George Hill
    By AugustinGrangerHill in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 07-18-2012, 09:45 PM
  5. David West and Big Smooth
    By Eleazar in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-20-2012, 01:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •