Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Indycar Thread

Default Re: 2013 Indycar Thread

That section near the museum (turn 11 and 12 maybe... I can't remember) is, to me, extremely Mickey Mouse. It's a slow section of track but not really a passing zone per se'.... Maybe coming into it it is following the back straightaway. I'm not really sure about that even... because the Mickey Mouse section kinda kills your advantage even if you do outbrake someone at the end of that back straightaway.

Good place to photograph the cars though
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Tony Kanaan is going to Ganassi. That's going to make for a very interesting dynamic. Arguably the series' most likeable driver working with agruably (although I couldn't imagine an agrument against it) the series' most dislikeable owner.

As much as I don't care for Chip, I'm excited to see Kanaan with a top team again.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Maybe next time they have a standing start, they won't hold the starting grid for an hour and forty five minutes while that slo mo start light goes...
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetimeís worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Devastating crash. Hope Dario is OK. Sounds like he's banged up a little, but not seriously injured. Hope none of that crap that went over the fence hurt anyone. Great job by Power. Dixie was tough all weekend and good recovery by Hinch.
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetimeís worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Mood

One of those that looks worse than it is, cause it looked bad.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Curt Cavin ‏@curtcavin 7m

Update: Admitted, concussion, spinal fracture that won't require surgery and a fractured right ankle. #IndyCar

DW12 did its job.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

A lot of that fencing ended up in the stands with pole(s) attached. That is concerning

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Indeed.

Interesting article... probably stating the obvious but still interesting to ponder...
    http://www.indystar.com/viewart/2013...ream-attention

------

-John Wooden

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Read that this morning, too. Makes some good points.

So do the rear 'bumpers' not work at all, a little bit, or what? Obviously the side to side wheel interlock has been greatly reduced to eliminated with the DW12 but I'm not sure the issue of running up on and then being catapulted over another car has been fixed at all. I don't recall seeing it on an oval with the DW12 but I also don't recall seeing a car making that type of contact either. But I know we've seen it on some road and street courses. One of the first races with the DW12 had (IIRC) Marco catapulting over Rahal. There was just no fence to hit in his case. And now Franchitti over Sato.

Reviewing the Franchitti accident it appears they were awfully lucky that car or major pieces of it didn't end up thru the fence. And it appears a wheel assembly easily would've or did clear the fence but not where people were. I read it appeared it hit the over the track walkway. And major sections of the fencing did end up in the stands. Not just the mesh but poles.

Keeping the cars on the ground is not just important to driver safety, it's important for fan safety. But IMHO it's important they do it thru safety innovation and not just dumbing down the speed and capabilities of the cars.

------

-John Wooden

IMO, not at all. They are not structurally sound enough or big enough to prevent wheel to wheel from the back. With open wheel cars, you really can't or you have sportscars or nascar (fenders). Those "barriers" they use on street courses are little more than glorified jersey barriers. It's very disturbing to see the poles and fencing blown apart in sections like that. I've never seen that particular system used. The street courses I've been on have had rolls of fencing that span multiple barricades.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

I'm not sure how different, if at all, those barriers are over standard jersey barriers or k-rail or whatever it's called but anyone who has ever been to a demo derby where that stuff is used should know it can tip over and move a lot easier in an impact than you might expect.

------

-John Wooden

On a sidenote, Penske has announced that Dinger will be running in the 2 at Fontana....

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Will Ganassi get a sub for Franchitti? I'd think he would for sponsor reasons. Has anything been rumored or announced?

Have I mentioned I miss Wind Tunnel?

------

-John Wooden

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Tags will be subbing for Dario. I do wish they'd re-incarnate wind tunnel on NBCSN...

Guess the National Guard finally got tired of having non-American drivers driving with their sponsorship:

http://www.racer.com/national-guard-...rticle/316046/

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

It always griped my ***, truthfully. Good for RLR.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

I was rooting for Helio but Dixon certainly deserved the championship.

------

-John Wooden

He did indeed. He really came on in the last several races. Take nothing from Helio. He knew what he needed to do and went out and did it until the pit stop issue. Looking forward to 2014!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Someone call Paul Page!

http://www.indystar.com/article/2013...e-King-resigns

The Indianapolis 500 will have a new chief radio announcer next year for one of the few times in its history, The Indianapolis Star has learned.

Mike King, who has held the position since 1999, resigned Monday. He had been with the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Radio Network since 1995.

Since Bill Slater called the 500 on Mutual in its early days, only five broadcasters have been ďthe Voice of the 500,Ē a term Sid Collins coined.

Collins led the radio broadcast from 1952 to 1976. Paul Page (1977-76), Lou Palmer (1988-89) and Bob Jenkins (1990-98) were the others.

King joined the IMS Radio Network in 1995 as a pit reporter while working for WTHI-TV in Terre Haute.

Kingís resignation is the second major change in the broadcasting of the 500 in the past month. Marty Reid, who led the television broadcast on ABC, was released by ESPN after accidentally calling a NASCAR Nationwide Series victory a lap early at Kentucky Speedway.
    Or is this the door for Kevin Lee to kick open?
    Last edited by Sandman21; 10-28-2013 at 02:33 PM.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Marty Reid, who led the television broadcast on ABC, was released by ESPN after accidentally calling a NASCAR Nationwide Series victory a lap early at Kentucky Speedway.
    This is hilarious in a lot of ways, but two things come to mind. First, this isn't even close to the worst thing ESPN has ever had happen on the air. Second, ESPN actually thinks enough people were watching a Nationwide race to justify a firing for that mistake?

As far as Kevin Lee goes, why not? I still remember that dude calling high school football with Mike King down in Terre Haute.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

They could do a lot worse. I'd like to see Bob Jenkins get a job if he's ready to work.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Man... Dallara... That was sure a surprise....

------

-John Wooden

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post: