Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Indycar Thread

Default Re: 2013 Indycar Thread

Indycar needs to tighten its schedule... I was thinking there was a race tomorrow but nooooo....

So it's 3 (long) weeks between races just as there should be interest building in the championship.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Obviously nobody is listening to my idea to just bulldoze that damned road course and remove the temptation to use it.

And instead of spending any more more money on that Mickey Mouse road course (most likely putting lipstick on a pig), instead spend that money on putting the apron back on the 'real' track.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yes^
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetimeís worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

------

-John Wooden

Done and done. And for the weekend: James Davison in the No. 18, Ryan Briscoe in the No. 4 & JR Hildebrand in the No. 98. Also joining, Lucas Luhr in the No. 97.
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetimeís worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As much as Team Ganassi is going to complain, the penalty on Dixon was the absolute right call. And thank goodness that Barfield is at the helm, the previous/substitute guy would have let it go.

And there's the crying from Dixon accusing the Penske pitguy of intentionally getting himself hit..... only to have his argument systemically be taken apart by Beaux Barfield!
    Last edited by Sandman21; 08-25-2013 at 07:16 PM.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

I'm kind of torn on the pit penalty. On one hand I'm basically of the mind that contact with a crewman should just be an automatic penalty normally. OTOH you could see Dixon's exit lines and he was basically on the line he always exited the pit on. It did look like the back stepped out a bit though. It looked to me like just a weird timing thing where possibly some MEANINGFUL lines might've helped.

I didn't realize the lines painted on pit road were leftovers that had no meaning for Indycar. Apparently what mattered were the sponsor logos painted on the wall (which do not line up with the existing lines). So it looked like teams took liberties with what they would consider the center of their pit box. Dixon might've been pitting forward more in the box (hard to really see from the video without meaningful lines) but it looked to me like Power was pitting more to the rear of the box for sure (better look from the video). Not that they did anything different on this particular stop, just that all of that mixed with a perfect storm to see the Penske crewman tagged.

Dixon leaves the same as always. Front tires are on the same lines as always. Back might've stepped out a little (or stepped in as the case may be). The Penske crewman is coming around with the tire on his hip and not paying attention to Dixon at all. If anything he's looking at the crewman at the back of the 12 car as he kicks back and pushes Power's car away. It looked to me like this 'kick' cause the tireman to veer just a little wide and that took him right into the side of Dixon's car (hitting it with the tire that was on his hip). Had he looked to his left at all he could've avoided any contact. Had Dixon left a hair earlier or later, nothing happens. If Power's car was pitted 12" further forward, nothing happens. If Dixon was indeed forward in the box, then 12" back and nothing happens.

Without accurate lines I'm not sure how you blame anyone for where they were pitting. Especially if that's where they were stopping their car every time.

And I do buy the story that the crewman ran into Dixon as much as Dixon ran into him. And I don't think anything was intentional.

So all of this and I still haven't convinced myself one way or the other how I would've ruled.

------

-John Wooden

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

As far as Dixon was into Power's pit when he hit the tire (especially when looking at the overhead view), it is absolutely a penalty. No ifs ands or buts. I'm just glad we know have someone in Race Control willing to fairly apply the rules to everyone in the series.

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

The crewman didn't do himself any favors by lolly gagging along and putting that tire on his hip like he did. I can see why he didn't get too close to the rear wing, hose on the ground, air jack guy etc., but he seemingly was paying zero attention to the circumstances. Having been in that situation, I was always hugely paranoid about getting sideswiped (I've had them close enough to hit my pants leg and clipped the heel of my shoe once) and ALWAYS kept an eye on the car coming out behind. Nobody in their right mind would do that on purpose.

Now, about the lines. Even though you may not be able to see them, there are marks on the ground. Some teams will mark out the entire box, some teams will just mark stop lines (marks) for the four corners. They will used spray paint on the ground and tape on the walls to seperate pit stalls. This will ensure that all pit equipment (fuel hoses, air lines, tools, war wagons, ect.) can be pre postioned and will reach as long as the car stops on or near it's "marks". This aleviates the need to drag out extra hose which takes time.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

You'd think by the 3rd year Indycar and Baltimore could come up with something better than that Donald Duck chicane. That'll be interesting during the race.

Not sure why Rahal got left in the tires. That was an accident waiting to happen... and did...
    Last edited by Bball; 09-01-2013 at 05:14 PM.

------

-John Wooden

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Random Thoughts...
    So does Dixon have a point? Are the double file re-starts just asking for trouble on street courses? And what about his take on Barfield?

Today's race was exciting and unpredictable and marred by yellows. But the yellows are also what added to the excitement and unpredictability.
    I'm not sure how that stuff is taken these days. Does it bore fans and lead to apathy and questions about the quality of the driving... or do casual fans enjoy the jostling and banging?

Speaking of TV.... "Side by Side" or "Non Stop"- has anyone discussed with the producer there could be a bigger picture for the racing AND the commercial if they'd use the entire screen for both? I've been wondering about this for a while. During commercials I had around a 15" diag pic for the racing and a 26" diag pic for the commercial... on a 60" TV. Lots of wasted real estate there if you ask me with wasted background wallpaper. It looks like they are trying to frame the two pics in a 4:3 box but there's no reason for that any longer afaik. I suppose there's someone somewhere watching a letterboxed 16:9 image on a 4:3 set with it zoomed. But it's probably too few to matter at this point... And if they ARE watching it zoomed then they're losing picture during the racing and reg commercials anyway.

I wonder if Dixon will cool down or if he's had about all of Power he wants? Meanwhile, Power is probably thinking he doesn't blame him...

I'd like to see Helio get his first Indycar championship and he's got himself into position... and his competitors are keeping him there!

It was nice seeing Newgarden and SFHR get a podium. A win would've been good but at least he kept it off the wall and didn't throw away a good finish.

Man.... someone needs to figure out SOMETHING with this Indycar scheduling... It should be building momentum for the championship and instead the break in the schedule means we'll have to get some cheat sheets to remember who's who and the point standings. Of course here's the argument for the Indy road course in Sept.... But I disagree... but I think it's coming and this hole in the schedule will give someone the final argument for it. And we just had 3 weeks between races...

------

-John Wooden

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Someone please give Dixon a freaking pacifier already!

http://www.racer.com/dixon-calls-for...=ODY4ODA3NjAS1
    Scott Dixon has called for the replacement of IndyCar race director Beaux Barfield, while simultaneously firing a broadside against the series' judicial system as a whole and rejecting Will Power's apology for their Baltimore collision.

The Target Chip Ganassi Racing driver has been on the receiving end of two controversial incidents involving Penske's Will Power in as many weekends. He was issued a drive-through at Sonoma for clipping a tire being carried by a member of Power's crew in the pits, which Dixon believed was the result of Penske deliberately trying to obstruct his path. He and Power were duelling for the lead at the time.

At Baltimore, he was unhappy when IndyCar rejected Ganassi's request for his car to be returned to the pits for repairs after he and Power came together on the track, despite the race being within the window where recovery and return of damaged cars would normally be permitted.

Dixon says IndyCar's judicial system is in disarray. "There's just no consistency," he said. "The No. 15 [Graham Rahal] turns us, the No.4 [Oriol Servia] does the same on the next restart and gets a penalty; the No. 12 car [Power] ran over a hose in a pit stop and gets no penalty. There were just so many [bad] calls."

Scott Dixon IndyCar 2013

IndyCar said a belief that Dixon's car was too badly damaged to be repaired, coupled with a desire to return the race to green conditions following a long spell under yellows, prompted its decision not to retrieve his car.

Dixon rejected that assessment, saying: "What I was so p***ed off about was that it was just a bent toe rod and an upper A-arm. We take extra time to make sure we have pre-set A-arms ready to bolt straight on to the car – it is maybe three or four minutes to change.

"For them not to bring the car back, which it clearly states in the rulebook...if there are 10 laps to go then maybe that's fair, because there's not much distance to go. [But] at that point there were 27 laps to go, so to not have it there to repair is beyond me.

"We had that same situation with Beaux at Long Beach two years ago where he left me in the run-off for the whole race. We had an engine thing that could have been fixed in no time and he never let us get back out there. It's quite obvious that Beaux can't do his job. He's not capable of it and needs to go."

Scott Dixon IndyCar 2013

DIXON REJECTS POWER APOLOGY

Dixon was also in no mood to forgive Power, who took responsibility for the accident.

"At that speed, in fourth gear, there's no chance of the car stepping out," Dixon said. "Whether he knew we were there or not, its just stupidity, really.

"It was funny on the radio – we were scanning [Penske], and [team president Tim] Cindric was telling him exactly what he needs to say when he gets out of the car."
    Isn't funny how the Ganassi brats had no problem with TGBB letting them get away with everything under the sun, but start screaming and calling for the guy who holds them to the rule's head?

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Dixie is in bad need of a tampon and some Midol...It used to just be Dario running his whinge machine. Must be rubbing off. Sorry about your hurt feel bads there sport. Maybe you should haul your ginger *** back to NZ.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Looks like this road course deal at IMS is probably going to come down. Thoughts?

27. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP63 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looks like this road course deal at IMS is probably going to come down. Thoughts?
    All of me says "NO" but part of me says if it is going to happen make it in May to open the month so we can get a longer "Month of May" at IMS.

But even that is tempered because IMO when Indycars take the track in May it should be seeing what everyone has been working on and developing over the year for the Indy 500... not some 'opening act'. IOW, Indycars should debut on the oval. Ideally, Indycars with different chassis and different engines.

I'd be fine with the Indy lights opening the month with a roadcourse race and then the track turned over to Oval mode and opening for 500 practice within a week.

So then I argue with myself and end up thinking it should go in this Sept hole in the schedule. Lord knows Indycar needs SOMETHING to fill this time (I don't care when the season ends as much as they take how many ever races there are and open track dates and arrange them so it's 2 weeks typically between races except in May (with 3 weeks a rare, rare occurrence and nothing longer)). Although I think the Sept event would be a long term loser and tarnish the 500... And I'm not sure how long the 'new' would carry it as the opening act for the 500 either.

Ultimately I still say bulldoze that Mickey Mouse roadcourse and remove all temptation to use it. And put the apron back on the oval too.

------

-John Wooden

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Confirmed: Montoya to Penske INDYCAR program next year alongside Power and Helio. Time to see if Juan makes himself less of a tool being away from Ganassi....

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

I just can't get my head wrapped around JPM being a Penske driver now...

------

-John Wooden

Can you blame him? He, in theory, would displace Power as the #2 and probably HCN as the #1 driver if he produces anything like he's capable of (because Roger loves championship results and especially results at Indy). Not gonna happen on Chipster's happy little squad. See him pushing Francrybaby or "I'm being repressed" Dixon aside? Nah.

I've always had a soft spot for JPM and I hope he comes back and kicks some ***.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

I think itd be hilarious if he became less of a villain after he joins Penske.

It would also prove my theory of Ganassitis.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

It's official IZOD is gone as the title sponsor after the season (I think this season is still going on... I forget.... Grrrrrrr silly hole in schedule....)

Also, surprise, surprise... The IMS Indycar roadcourse race is on for next May. Indycar roadcourse race will open then month, then practice and quals for the 500 the following week...

------

-John Wooden

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Dumb, Dumb, Dumb, Dumb, Dumb...Izod's been MIA for a year or so anyway

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

For you diehards that hate the idea of racing Indycars at IMS on something other than the main oval, aren't you just a little bit excited to watch this race in May? I know I am. I'll definitely be out there for it.

Motorsports Right turn at Indy

Indy officials announce details of new May race

Posted: Wednesday, October 2, 2013 8:47 am | Updated: 8:50 am, Wed Oct 2, 2013.

By MICHAEL MAROT AP Sports Writer | 0 comments

INDIANAPOLIS — Indianapolis Motor Speedway is giving open-wheel racing a boost this May.

On Tuesday, track officials said they would add days of on-track activity to this year’s schedule before running the inaugural Grand Prix of Indianapolis on May 10 and holding the biggest event of the IndyCar season, the Indianapolis 500, as scheduled May 25. It’s Indy’s answer to speed week.

“That’s really the first time I’ve heard that term,” speedway president Doug Boles said shortly after Roger Penske used the term during a news conference. “For us, it’s the beginning of May and this is the way we’re going to elevate the month of May, with a brand new event that tells the story of what our drivers do for half the year — run on ovals.”

Clearly, help is needed.

The series has been dealing with dwindling attendance, sagging television ratings and now the loss of its title sponsor. It’s biggest American drawing card, Danica Patrick, left for NASCAR after the 2012 season.

Not surprisingly, the speedway is trying to provide the jump start.

Last week, the board of directors at Hulman & Co., the parent company of the IndyCar Series, overwhelmingly voted in favor of breaking with tradition and holding a second May race at Indianapolis. Tuesday’s ceremony at the track unveiled details of what will be changing, including a major overhaul of the track’s road course.

The new 14-turn, 2.434-mile course will be run the opposite direction of the 500 on a newly resurfaced track that will be wider, have longer straightaways and three new passing zones. Drivers believe the combination will make it the fastest road course on the series’ schedule and will make for entertaining racing. The plan also calls for taller, bigger mounds — and more of them — around the infield to give fans better viewpoints. The race also will be televised live by ABC and will not be blacked out in Indianapolis as has traditionally been the case with the 500.

Organizers expect 22 to 26 cars to start the race, which will last approximately 80 laps. Hulman and Co. CEO Mark Miles is searching for a title sponsor.

“I don’t see why it wouldn’t work,” reigning 500 champion Tony Kanaan said. “When I ran Grand-Am here (in July), there were a few places to pass and I think there will be three more places to pass here this time.”

A second road course configuration also could be added for the MotoGP race that is usually run in August. The motorcycle riders have often complained about a slick, bumpy surface that is not good for racing. Boles said MotoGP officials were included in the redesign, which will make the race more conducive to what motorcycle riders want.

MotoGP already has agreed to come back in 2014 and negotiations are underway to keep them here long-term. When asked if a new contract with MotoGP had been reached, given that it will cost $5 million to complete the entire project, Miles said, “there will be by the time we invest.”

Track officials hope to finish the resurfacing by Dec. 1, in time to addi curbing and a signature chicane to the course and, hopefully, hold testing in the spring.

Miles said the family-owned company would ask the Indiana Motorsports Commission to pay for the project out of the $100 million improvement fund approved earlier this year by the state government. And the versatility could put more races on Indy’s future schedules.

“We could bring even more people out here with the addition of other sports-car racing, whether it’s a big event or a vintage event,” Miles said.

The immediate goal is to regenerate interest in May’s events at the speedway, which was Indianapolis’ largest spring gathering place for decades.

Track officials believe the new look and new schedule could increase overall annual attendance at the track by 50 percent by the end of the 2018 season. Estimates put Indy’s current annual attendance figures at about 400,000.

Some of the details, such as qualifying procedures and whether the same pace car will be used for both races, are still being determined. Another possibility is adding an extra award for any driver who wins both Indy races or possibly both races and a pole.

Still, there will be some obstacles.

The inaugural Grand Prix of Indianapolis will be going head-to-head with all three days of the NFL draft, and it’s possible the NBA’s Indiana Pacers could be hosting playoff games that weekend, too, though that has happened in the past.

Speedway officials aren’t worried.

“I don’t know that’s a concern for us,” Boles said. “Having a points race here at that time, I think will help.”

The start of Indy 500 practice will now be held Sunday, one day later than usual, and less than 24 hours after track workers convert the track from a road course to the traditional 2.5-mile oval. But the long-term goal is to shine a brighter spotlight on the IndyCar Series — and the month of May.

“As we see our sport changing and road races coming in, there is no question this combination and the utilization of what’s here is we need,” Penske said. “I’ve always wanted to run on the road course here, but, obviously, we couldn’t do that in Formula One.

“People talk about the history here, but we’ve got the Brickyard (400) and I think this will help the schedule and I think this will help get people out here.”
    http://www.tmnews.com/sports/right-t...9bb30f31a.html
    This probably highlights Indycar's biggest challenge and problem with potential fans and casual observers..... Danica Patrick ceased being a drawing card for Indycar several years before she left. I'd argue she even became a net negative, turning off more fans and potential fans than she attracted. She burst onto the scene in 04 or whatever it was and got some notice (and notoriety) but the talent level around her shot up, her weight advantage for qualifying was taken away, and her attitude and lack of results made it hard for her to even be a driver you loved to hate. She didn't really force anyone who didn't like her personality to at least respect her driving ability because she was rarely a threat to win. She was more a threat to use a pit strategy that might see her finish top 10.

But here's a reporter lamenting her departure from Indycar as if it's meaningful. Maybe in 2005 it would've been meaningful...

Indycar needs to capture the public's attention and imagination so that they will notice the product and care about it. Not catch a glimpse of a gimmick whose star had long sense faded as a difference maker to the sport and believe she was the sport's biggest drawing card. That just shows someone who hasn't been paying attention but thinks they know of what they speak. IMHO....
    Last edited by Bball; 10-02-2013 at 07:46 PM.

------

-John Wooden

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For you diehards that hate the idea of racing Indycars at IMS on something other than the main oval, aren't you just a little bit excited to watch this race in May? I know I am. I'll definitely be out there for it.
    I grudgingly accept it as a way to try and bring more energy and attention to 'the month of may' at IMS. I will probably be there but it's not a must-see race to me because that one will be a couple of weeks later. I hope they find a way to interject some 'something' into it to make this work. I don't know that it will work in the same way that the Twin 125's do at Daytona (or whatever the Shootout is called these days that opens the week there).

I think the best way to interject some interest in the month of May is by allowing innovation instead of 33 spec clone cars all chasing the 1985 pole speed. When the track opens for 500 practice it used to be a time to see what the engineers, engine makers, and chassis manufacturers had come up with to challenge the oval. And what dark horse might have something either for the pole or the race. It's not very exciting seeing a different paint job on 33 more alike than different cars (or 35 or so vying for 33 spots) all running speeds we saw 30 years ago. Different engines help BUT visually (and sonically too) the cars are the same so only diehards really can get into the soap opera of the engine differences of a couple different badges.

It's one reason I've been a proponent of the aerokits. That's something that everybody can visually see the differences. Even casual fans will know the cars aren't all the same. Allow some more innovation within those parameters and even the diehards have something to talk about. Of course the diehards are all there to some degree (though they shouldn't be taken for granted) but the more the diehards are placated the more the casual fans will be too.

And then maybe there won't be reporters lamenting the loss of Danica Patrick as the sports biggest drawing card going to the TaxiCar...

------

-John Wooden

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

We will see what enhancements and changes they make to the road course to see if it's viable. I have seen sports cars, F-1 cars and the support series all run on it (hell we won one of the Formula BMW races on it). It is, in it's current form, very flat (won't change), relatively featureless (probably won't change) and generally acknowledged as not very technical and devoid of passing opportunities (can be changed a little). Now, lest I sound like a hater, I love watching them come out of the last corner and rip down the front stretch, no matter which way they are going. If you can arrange to be crossing the spectator bridge behind the pits when they are on track that can be pretty spectacular as well.

46. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post: