Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Indycar Thread

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2013 Indycar Thread

Allegedly it's a done deal now at least for the 3 500 milers. We shall see. Up to 225 today (Marco) with 25 out of 32 over 220 mph.

Derek Walker is now the DOC

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com...on-operations/
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetimeís worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

James Hinchcliffe was fastest in practice today with a speed of 224.210mph. If we can just get a day when it's not so friggin' windy...
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetimeís worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

James Hinchcliffe posted the top lap speed of day 4 at 224.210 mph (40.1410 seconds), but accomplished it in Marco Andretti’s No. 25 RC Cola car as the Andretti Autosport teammates compared notes. Hinchcliffe, a two-time race winner this season, logged 26 laps in No. 25 entry, while Andretti recorded 22 laps in Hinchcliffe’s No. 27 GoDaddy.com car.

"Marco's pretty upset with the fact I got the fastest lap in his car," Hinchcliffe joked.

They are starting to trim out a little bit. Look for the speed to jump the next few days WX permitting.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Looks like the Buddy Rice deal is going away so if my math is correct that's leaving 33 cars/drivers 'confirmed' for the weekend... although some more drivers are still looking for rides of course. Of course a week ago Buddy Rice was 'confirmed'
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

33 confirmed, 2-3 deals allegedly in work (aka, awaiting a substantial check). Clauson, Legge and somebody else I can't remember right now...So, there could be bumping on bump day, but probably not much.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP63 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    33 confirmed, 2-3 deals allegedly in work (aka, awaiting a substantial check). Clauson, Legge and somebody else I can't remember right now...So, there could be bumping on bump day, but probably not much.
    Jay Howard would be my guess...

Is Bruno Junquera done with Indy offs these days?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Not sure.

Viso at 229.5 right now...

------

-John Wooden

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

MILLER: Indy Needs To Become The Week Of May
    Despite decent to great weather, the Speedway has been empty the past six days with a couple hundred people watching daily practice from the grandstands.

With all the talk about putting up lights, club seats, staging a road course race and spending that $100 million state loan on upgrades to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, it’s time to get smart about the month of May.

It pains me to say it and I hope it doesn’t ruin my friendship with Donald Davidson but the Indianapolis 500 needs to be downsized again.

Do everybody a favor and cut it to one week.

Now before you start throwing Floyd Clymer yearbooks, please just listen to reason.

The handwriting has been on the IMS walls for a long time and this year is a carbon copy of the past 17.

Despite decent to great weather, the Speedway has been empty the past six days with a couple hundred people watching daily practice from the grandstands. If 10,000 people buy a ticket Saturday it will be about what we’ve come to expect on Pole Day.

There hasn’t been a buzz in practice and qualifying since 1995 when Team Penske missed the show and this week feels like a glorified tire test.

That’s why reducing the schedule makes good sense.

First off, we barely have 33 cars each year and they’re limited on engine miles so the last thing needed is seven days of practice before Pole Day.

It’s not like anybody needs to worry about not being fast enough.

Qualifying certainly doesn’t carry the clout it used to because all you really have to do is run four laps and you’re in. Two days aren’t needed to qualify 33 cars. And Bump Day is actually Test Day for everyone since 99% of the field gets in on Saturday.

There will be a nice crowd on Carb Day and, despite the fact there are PLENTY of seats available on line at Brickyard.com, you know at least 200,000 will show on Race Day.

So it’s the perfect time to embrace “less is better.”

Here’s the plan.

Practice is sliced to three days (Sunday-Monday-Tuesday) and qualifying is held Wednesday night under the lights on NBC or ESPN. (It’s seeded so the slowest cars in practice go out first at 7 p.m. and run until everyone has had their shot at making the field of 33.)

Thursday is open to the public (for free not $10) and drivers sit out in front of their garages to sign autographs in a couple of two-hour shifts (one in the morning and one in the afternoon). It’s also the rain date for time trials.

Carb Day remains on Friday but it starts at 2 p.m., followed by Indy Lights (if they are still around), and the Pit Stop competition. Then, the fastest six qualifiers from Wednesday have a prime time shootout on ABC or NBC for the pole position – which pays $1 million and is sponsored.

Saturday is the parade, memorabilia show and parties and Sunday is the race.

This would be a winner on so many fronts.

It would save the teams quite a bit of money. Less tires, less wear and tear on the crews, less miles on the cars, less catering, dry cleaning and engines burned through, plus less expense for the out of town teams.

It would save IMS quite a bit of money (they pay more for Yellow Shirts than they ever make on a practice day and the guards usually out-number the paying customers anyway).

It might also be good for downtown businesses if everything was jammed into a week.

Most importantly, it would ramp up the intensity and interest that’s been missing from practice and qualifying since The Split. A sense of urgency might return to the fans who lost interest and Pole Night could be a nice draw.

I know Mark Miles wants to bring back track records and innovation and most of us old-schoolers would love to see it. Those two things might entice a few thousand people more to return to 16th & Georgetown and, combined with a compacted schedule and prime time television, maybe we’d see a spike both places.
    But, from somebody who never thought a month was enough time for the Indy 500, it’s time to face the reality that people are too busy nowadays or don’t care like we used to about the Speedway.

The fact remains it’s still the greatest spectacle in racing but those old days of practice and qualifying ain’t coming back and neither are the crowds.
    So cut your losses, ramp up the energy and make it the most exciting week of the year.
    http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...e-week-of-may/

------

-John Wooden

I'm not sure about Robin's idea....

I don't like qualifying at night because the race isn't ran at night. And how much practice would be done at night? That just seems odd.

Practice and qualifying has lost its luster because the cars have become clones and the speeds have been capped at 1989 levels for the most part. Add in that the new format guarantees you won't be getting much of an idea about qualifying potential because on Friday the cars will be given more boost.

This has all became a vicious cycle because what benefit do sponsors get if there's no interest on the practice days? So you get fewer sponsors, fewer cars.... then fewer fans.... less media attention... Rinse and repeat.

This then makes bump day lose its significance because sponsors see less value in sponsoring a car that might not make the field... so they don't pony up. So fewer fans show up for bump day... less media attention... Rinse and repeat.

The other problem with Robin's idea is it really doesn't account for Indiana weather. If we want the race to be 'special' then we don't want to be lining the field up via practice times or championship points because quals were a wash out. Let alone without much practice time. And less practice time makes it even more difficult for the one-offs to field a car. So now you're calling into question whether there would be full fields because some of these one-offs think they have a shot at a good finish. Take away practice time and you might throw a cold blanket on that process. And back in the olden days there truly was a race for the pole. I'm sure Menard wanted to win, but he wasn't disappointed with a pole run or fastest qualifier either...

Not that Robin mentioned this but one more time I say to bulldoze that Mickey Mouse road course and remove all temptation to use it. Even I'm actually starting to warm to the idea of opening the month of May with the road course. For one thing it would almost kill the idea of a Sept or Oct race on it.... For another it would be more warmup event to the Indy 500 so it would automatically be second fiddle in May. It wouldn't be seen as a failure when 30,000 people show up for it to open IMS in May as opposed to those same 30,000 in Sept. Although it might open to a decent crowd during the honeymoon period in the Fall it IMHO would quickly tail off and be perceived as a failure. Meanwhile, it would add days and interest to the May schedule and give a promo boost to the 500 (at least in theory).

If you want to add interest to the 500 then open the rulebook... add innovation... Untie it from the rest of the season even. Allow the aerokits... allow grandfathered engines and chassis with equivalency formulas to keep safety in check...

I think there's too much emphasis being put on 'the show' these days and 'the racing'. The 500 reached the zenith of its popularity without tight racing being the focus. I think it's the opportunity to see a tight race that excites fans, not the expectation of it.
    Last edited by Bball; 05-17-2013 at 03:19 PM.

------

-John Wooden

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

So what are the current rules if tomorrow is a wash out... or a partial washout?

------

-John Wooden

Roll over until Sunday. If that doesn't work I think they go based on practice times. However, Sunday wx looks good.

I'm going for it today... So with my luck I've probably cursed the qualifying weather for everyone....

------

-John Wooden

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    I'm going for it today... So with my luck I've probably cursed the qualifying weather for everyone....
    I'll be there today too. I'll be wandering around with my Pacer's shirt 3/4 drunk at least for a few hours so I can get a little bit of sleep before the game tonight.

Who had Ed Carpenter for the pole today?

------

-John Wooden

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Who had Ed Carpenter for the pole today?
    Not me, but I was on my feet when he turned that 229er!
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Did someone at the track finally realize that when the clocks NOW say 6-7PM it is just 5-6PM as far as the position of the sun is concerned... Pre DST? I kept trying to figure out the hard change to 6:30PM for the fast nine when in fact they could've even have gotten it in as scheduled even with the weather delay. Or certainly have gotten it in with just a 30 min delay and went 5:30PM-6PM to stay within the 6PM window. Then it hit me.... the weather delay gave someone the chance to use that excuse to move the fast 9 into what traditionally would've been the fastest time for the track pre DST. If there was going to be a 230MPH it was most likely to happen 6:45-7PM....

------

-John Wooden

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Indy 500 will have price increases next season. My seats will go up from 150.00ea to 175.00ea. I know other areas are increasing too. I don't think it's ALL areas though... but don't hold me to that (I was reading mail in a hurry). Several seats will be going up... that I'm sure of.

------

-John Wooden

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Lights baby!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Captain Comeback Jim Harbaugh will drive the pace car Sunday...

------

-John Wooden

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

You guys enjoy Carb day. I got screwed into working. The upside is I'm off Monday so I can stay up and watch the tape delay Sunday night. Carb day was always my favorite time to go because everyone was guaranteed to be on track and there was usually a lot of...talent...on display on the grounds.

Moving Carb Day to Friday a few years back screwed me. I don't think I've been able to go since the change. Maybe once. Thursday was perfect for me. But I realize my schedule isn't like normal people.

------

-John Wooden

Can't wait for the race! This should get everyone pumped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSzgwCql_mo

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

This is absolutely a must see. Closest finish in Indy history. FOUR WIDE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp1kl...ature=youtu.be

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    This is absolutely a must see. Closest finish in Indy history. FOUR WIDE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp1kl...ature=youtu.be
    That was truly amazing! If we could get something even in the zip code as that for Sunday, it would catapult the series forward.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

40. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post: