Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Indycar Thread

Default Re: 2013 Indycar Thread

A good qualifying run vs a disappointing qualifying run:
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...at-long-beach/

Looks like Aero kits are still on the table for '14...
    IMHO this needs to happen. It was a lost opportunity with the DW12's introduction but still would be beneficial even if late and overdue. It might be more illusion than innovation but for the cars to capture people's imaginations they are going to have give these cars some differences (besides the engine decal on the bodywork and the sponsor logos). The article uses the phrase "26 clones" and that IMO is the right starting point in the discussion about admitting a problem.

...and in other news...

Audi maybe?
    http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...heel-interest/
    Last edited by Bball; 04-17-2013 at 12:34 AM.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Audi would be big. Aero kits are coming. There's a lot of manufacturer interest in getting that done to have some "brand identity".
    Last edited by DaveP63; 04-17-2013 at 08:46 PM.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetimeís worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

#14 back in the winner's circle....
    It's a shame AJ couldn't be in Long Beach today to see it.

------

-John Wooden

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Great to see the 14 back on top! I've though Sato was due for a while. Glad he finally put one together.
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetimeís worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Sato in the #14 is just so crazy.... it just might work...

------

-John Wooden

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

I know crowd size is often debated for Indycar races... and truth be told Nascar has some aluminum showing these days as well. I caught some of the F1 race from Bahrain and let me say to say that the stands were 2/3rds full would probably be an overstatement. I'm not sure what seating is at the track but it didn't appear there was an abundance of seating in the first place.

I'm not sure my point of posting this... I guess it's because there seems to be some perception that F1 is the holy grail of auto racing and they are in such high demand worldwide that Bernie can fill in the promoter's check with whatever number he'd like. Obviously there's worldwide television viewership to consider but I wonder how much of the demand for F1 is created out of perception more than reality? If F1 was to ever have a split like AOW I doubt it would fair any better... if not worse...

------

-John Wooden

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

It's the European (and North American) races that have the best attendance. Most of the Asian and other "non-traditional" venues are strictly a money grab by Bernie as you said. The big money is, as ever, TV revenue. NAPCAR has an attendance issue because of the economy AND the fact that their on track product SUCKS. Indycar can step into the vacuum but it must, must, must get on network TV.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

I see Ron Howard is making a movie based on the '76 F1 season and specifically Lauda and Hunt. "Rush"
    With Ron Howard involved I have high hopes we could see a something good versus something like Stallone's "Driven". Anyone that doesn't know about the '76 season and Lauda should definitely Google it.

https://www.facebook.com/rushmovie?sk=timeline

------

-John Wooden

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

I remember it well and it's one of the things that re-ignited the fire in me for motorsports. I still have my copy of "James Hunt, Against all Odds"...And the M23 was one dead sexy car.
    Last edited by DaveP63; 04-26-2013 at 08:46 AM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We saw the preview for that movie a couple of weeks ago. It looked very interesting.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to SycamoreKen For This Useful Post:

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What an incredible race!!

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Amazing race. Couldn't believe the last ten laps. Was on the edge of my seat, thought Sato was gonna go down taking out Hinch on that pass.

@Pacers24Colts12

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacers24Colts12 For This Useful Post:

Nice race! Sato is now leading the points race headed to Indy too.

Nice smart and aggressive drive for Hinch and Sato just did a fantastic job on old tires.

------

-John Wooden

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Anybody think that 14 car is for real?

30. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OMG am I glad Danica is gone from Indycar! Watching Daytona today was painful with all the Danica mentions, in car shots, her radio, etc.. And when 'go' time came, back she went.

Soooo the first interview after the race? 8th place finisher Danica Patrick. Not a couple of the little teams that did well and could use the exposure... Not a top 3 finisher. Not someone that made a big leap in the last couple of laps. Not someone involved in that last lap wreck. Danica Patrick.

That sh-t will not sit well very long with other teams, other sponsors, other drivers, and diehards. All she does is soak limelight away from people who actually deserve the accolades and that is NOT good for the sport (because accolades =exposure and exposure is what drives sponsors to the sport). It might seem good short term, but it's not IMHO when people start to realize she's getting the spotlight away from deserving drivers over the long haul.

Danica Patrick was not winning this race today as long as it finished under green. Go time for Danica means go backwards...
    I thought she drove very well and avoiding that accident was a near miracle... She is still learning but the girl can drive and everyone in NASCAR knows it. Indy racing sure misses here, who is watching that at all?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP63 View Post
    It's the European (and North American) races that have the best attendance. Most of the Asian and other "non-traditional" venues are strictly a money grab by Bernie as you said. The big money is, as ever, TV revenue. NAPCAR has an attendance issue because of the economy AND the fact that their on track product SUCKS. Indycar can step into the vacuum but it must, must, must get on network TV.
    NASCAR's track product sucks? How? They have lots of accidents and plenty of passing jockeying for position. Indy car is not on network TV because there are not enough people interested in seeing no passing and mostly boring races...

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Please re-ban OlBlu.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...petition-boss/

INDYCAR: Walker Hired As Competition Boss
    SPEED can report that Derrick Walker has agreed to become the president of racing operations for IndyCar.

------

-John Wooden

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

So what's the end game with Kurt Busch testing for Andretti? Looking for a full time gig next year?
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Good get for the ICS with Walker. He's got a ton of respect in the garage area. Busch is looking at doing the double. Smells like a PR stunt, but with his career in less than stellar straits right now, who knows for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    So what's the end game with Kurt Busch testing for Andretti? Looking for a full time gig next year?

I figure it's PR with a bit of "what if?" in the equation. IOW... a win win situation getting PR for Busch's team AND a little PR for Indycar/500/Andretti team. But also getting Busch some seat time with a quality team so both he and Andretti can see if there's any promise here... 'just in case'.

Andretti was asked about the chances of Busch making his IndyCar debut this summer at Pocono on July 7.

“I don’t know, stranger things have happened,” he replied with a grin.
    I'm not sure but that Pocono wouldn't actually be harder than Indy... although fewer cars, less eyeballs, and more time to prepare might mitigate that. And obviously Kurt has track time at Pocono, even if it is with fenders, so he would understand the unique layout.

But still... probably just Andretti toying with the questioner and milking today for all it's worth in getting people talking.

------

-John Wooden

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

------

-John Wooden

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

223 (Munoz) so far. Expect a significant jump in speed this week, especially if the wind will lay down a little bit. It's difficult to trim out when it's so windy. Plus the extra boost!
    Last edited by DaveP63; 05-12-2013 at 07:27 PM.

45. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Aerokits .... next year... sort of... maybe...

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...ndy-500-debut/

------

-John Wooden

47. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post: