Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: 2013 Indycar Thread

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2013 Indycar Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Man... Dallara... That was sure a surprise....
    Yeah. No ****. If you knew how much those lights cars cost now, you'd throw up in your mouth. Maybe having them built in the US will keep the cost down. I hope that Anderson can keep them under control and we can have actual fields of cars...
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetimeís worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

"But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetimeís worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

...A little surprised but then I don't have any idea about what the doctor's are seeing and saying other than what it says at the link. I have to take it at face value obviously. I did half expect him to possibly become an 'Indy only' driver this coming season and for a couple of years before completely retiring when/if results suffered or a top notch ride wasn't available. That he has to retire from the sport entirely isn't what I was expecting.
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So this series loses Dan Wheldon to a horrific death (obviously on a completely different scale of awfulness) and Dario to an early retirement because of injury. Easily two of the top drivers of their era. They were two very charismatic personalities who most importantly were great drivers. A total of five 500 victories between them. It really does seem like this series is cursed sometimes.

You know it has to kill Dario that he can't try for that fourth 500 victory.

So in the past few years, the series has lost Danica, Dario, and Wheldon (obviously because of a much worse reason). I know that a lot of people don't like Danica and thought that she had a negative impact towards the end, but she was still a big name who attracted attention. Anyone who attracts attention is good for this sport, IMHO. And she always did race pretty solid at Indy. But Dario and Wheldon are obviously much bigger losses because of their successes.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Renna seemed to be another up and comer the sport lost too soon. Paul Dana was another driver lost but I'm not sure he had the potential Renna did.

Hornish was popular, got his Indy 500 win and bailed to the taxi cab races.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

------

-John Wooden

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yes!

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...voice/3812917/

Paul Page is the new radio voice of the Indianapolis 500 and the IndyCar Series, although he's technically the old voice.

Not old as in age, although he will admit to turning 68 last week. But Page held the position from 1977 to '87 before moving to the television side of racing.

Page replaces Mike King, who stepped down last month.

"It's an overused phrase, but it's almost a dream come true," Page said Monday of landing the radio position. "I've always thought radio was so much more fun to do, and I think more artistic.

"A radio broadcast can be your creation, not what (a television screen) shows you. It's so much more lively and creative."

Page, an Evansville native and longtime Indianapolis resident, joined the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Radio Network in 1974 and was mentored by Sid Collins, the lead announcer and WIBC sports director. Page replaced Collins in the lead chair after Collins' passing.

Page was drag racing's lead TV announcer from 2006-12, but his voice has long been synonymous with IndyCar racing.

"Like I told them when I (interviewed), the Speedway made me who I am; it's probably time to give something back to the Speedway," he said.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

http://www.indycar.com/News/2013/12/...14-TV-schedule

I don't really understand the resistance to ending the schedule on Labor Day. I mean I'd understand it if there were 30 races.... But I've never understood spreading the season out when the schedule isn't exactly filled with races. If you only have X races, then build your start and ending date around the number of races you have, not when you'd like to see the season start and end. Long delays between races are crazy and momentum killing. I'd have a race every two weeks except for May. I'd consider races on consecutive weekends if logistics permit and/or logistics require it. And when I'm out of races, I'm out of races. Shouldn't matter if it's Labor Day or July 4th.... or Thanksgiving. Pack the schedule as tight as possible within logistic constraints. Think about momentum, not trying to say it's an 8 month season or whatever. The PR from claiming an 8 month season doesn't trump the momentum of a race within 2 weeks of the previous race. Let alone building some stability for viewers to just 'know' when the races are... or have a chance to remember the in race promos about upcoming races rather than forget them with a long quiet period between races.

...IMHO...

------

-John Wooden

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com...04/mark-miles/

After you get through the blather about running in places unknown around the world, you might find somthing interesting a little further down...

18. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

The apron!!!!!

------

-John Wooden

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

The plan submitted to the IMC used these criteria to broadly identify the types of improvements to fund with bond proceeds over the next several years:

Focus on necessary track modifications, including:

The addition of an apron in the four turns of the IMS oval to be used in NASCAR events, enhancing competition
    Repaving and reconfiguration of the IMS road course, a project completed in November 2013
    Refurbishing of catch fencing

Focus on the fan experience, including:

Seating improvements to improve comfort, better grandstand access with more elevators and suite renovations
    New video screens and Scoring Pylon
    Modernized restroom facilities
    Increasing concession choices, expanding fan zones and providing more entertainment
    Need for improved access, traffic flow and parking

Focus on technology, including:

Availability of wireless access throughout the facility
    State-of-the-art data, video and audio availability

http://www.indianapolismotorspeedway...upgrade-plans/
    Huh? What? Not for Indycar too? Will there be a (dreaded) yellow out-of-bounds line for the Indy 500 like the taxi cabs have at Daytona that they can't drop below?

Hmmmm....

------

-John Wooden

No, I don't think so unless they convince themselves it will increase the impact angle to a dangerous point. Still it will be great to hear "two wheels below the white line" again.

Pit Pass: It appears Briscoe will sign with Ganassi
    By Curt Cavin, curt.cavin@indystar.com

- Plans for modifying the 500's qualifying format haven't been finalized, but it seems likely that all 33 starting positions will be decided, weather permitting, on May 17, which history knows to be pole day. On the next day, there will be a pole shootout for the fastest qualifiers. The television window is from 1-3 p.m.

- IndyCar won't be the only sanctioning body altering its qualifying format at IMS. Former IMS president Joie Chitwood, who now holds the same title at Daytona International Speedway, said NASCAR is changing its qualifying format "at all tracks."

- The iconic IMS pylon, which has stood in its 97-foot form since 1994, will be replaced in the spring by a new structure. IMS president Doug Boles expects the new one to be similar in presence, although it figures to have graphics so an appropriate level of car numbers can be displayed. The 500 starts 33 cars; the Brickyard 400 starts 43.

- The 8-foot-wide apron that will be re-installed in four corners of the IMS oval will be for the wider stock cars only in 2014. That's largely the case because the asphalt won't go in until after the 500. Whether IndyCar uses the apron, as it did through the 1992 race, is still to be determined pending a review of the safety factors.

- With the apron installed, Boles said IMS will extend the energy-absorbing SAFER barrier 100 yards in each corner.
    http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...riday/3999553/

------

-John Wooden

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Michael Schumacher critical. Undergoes brain surgery. Skiing accident.

http://espn.go.com/racing/f1/story/_...nt?ex_cid=null

------

-John Wooden

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

------

-John Wooden

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

The situation with Schumi does not look good. Andy was as much a showman as a car owner. They don't make them like that anymore.

Exit Reid, Enter Allen Bestwick?

Charlotte Observer
    Jim Utter
    http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...l#.UsX0kbSuTno
    Sportscaster Allen Bestwick will remain with ESPN /ABC after it loses its NASCAR contract and work primarily as play-by-play announcer for the network's broadcasts of IndyCar Series events, The Charlotte Observer and ThatsRacin.com have learned. Bestwick currently serves in the same role for network's NASCAR broadcasts but ESPN/ABC will lose broadcast rights to those races at the conclusion of the 2014 season. NBC and Fox and their respective sports networks will broadcast all NASCAR events beginning in 2015. Bestwick will do both IndyCar and NASCAR events this season for ESPN/ABC, two sources familiar with the situation confirmed to The Observer. In 2015, Bestwick will do IndyCar broadcasts and work in other sports, sources said. An ESPN spokesman declined to comment. Bestwick began his NASCAR career in 1986 when he joined Motor Racing Network as a race reporter and eventually became co-lead announcer with Joe Moore and Barney Hall. He moved full-time to TV broadcasting in 2001.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...#storylink=cpy
    I can dig it.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Yup. He's good. Marty got better but still...Bout time to start the 14 thread isn't it?

33. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post: