Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: share your Chuck Person stories

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default Re: share your Chuck Person stories

Back in the day you could meet Pacers at White Castle for appearances. I met Chuck at one and Michael Williams at one. In both cases the crowd was small enough that I got to talk to them for a fair amount of time. In fact Mike spoke with my g/f and myself for 15-20 minutes due to low turnout and him just being a really nice guy. (no reps, teammates, posse, handlers...the guy just drove there by himself and met people, despite it being an official team function...weird)

I tried to get Chuck to have the team use "Welcome to the Terrordome" as the team's MSA music, but I don't think he was much of a rap/PE fan based on his reaction (didn't really know the song).

But here's what makes the story strange by today's standards - not only did Chuck spend time talking to me in a White Castle but he also signed my PLAYOFF TICKETS because this all went down right before freaking GAME 3 vs the Celtics in the epic 5 game series that featured Chuck bombing and bragging and Bird coming back from smacking his head.

Can you imagine a crowd of 10-15 coming to see Granger, PG, Hibbert, Hill or West at a flipping WC during the Orlando series last year? Can you imagine the team even having them do it during the series? That's how freaking bad things were for the team, and credit to the players for putting out the effort when the city clearly didn't give a F about them.

Another indirect moment was when we drove down to see Mike Williams at another event in Edinburgh just a day or too after Chuck punted the basketball deep into the stands in Chicago due to bad calls/technical/ejection (can't recall if it was 2nd T or what). Mike remembered us and spent a few minutes talking to me, but his first question right away was "what did that look like on TV" and "what did you think about it". It was funny how much he enjoyed it.

My favorite Pacers game might be game 4 vs the Celtics. They were 1-1 and lost game 3 at home, but then made it a 5 game series with a big game 4 win in MSA. For the first time ever the city kinda thought the team might win a series. It was their first time winning more than one NBA playoff game (hard to believe now). The crowd was loud and pretty full. Chuck and Reggie both went off and after the game they both came out and waved to the crowd, etc. That's the game I'd love to see on Classic NBA or DVD.

BTW, the tickets I had him sign were for game 3. Drat.

Chuck was, by far, the leader of the Pacers. His personality dwarfed Reggie. When he'd get going he'd yap and have his head bobbing/nodding almost like he was getting out of control. Watch game 5 vs Boston when they show it and look at the insane 3 he makes very late in that game from almost HC. Not a heave, but a true "F it, I'm dropping this shot from out here" jumper.

Reggie went on to become great for his catch and shoots, but Chuck's thing was DEEP threes and massive smack.

Kellogg and Stipo had promise, but Chuck was the Pacers first NBA star. His ROY win was a massive badge for Pacers fans. His era was the first sparks of a dead engine sputtering to life. It took some time to get it going, but he was the first time you thought it was possible.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 02-13-2013 at 05:25 PM. Reason: ball calls = bad calls

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Here's a good one about one of the rematches after the "punt". Pippen's punt! (This is required reading for Reggie's contribution. Seriously, click the link. You'll be laughing.)

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...ie-miller-foul

Box score:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...203030CHI.html

I need to find the original Tribune article, though I only saw it in the print edition of the Taylor University library back in the day.

The Bulls proceded to declare that Chuck Person "had the least class of any player in the NBA" after the second punt of the ball into the stands, because the ball had the audacity to land near where the coach's wives were sitting.

So when Reggie goaded Pippen into punting that ball...

(Still looking for the other one, in context it is great too.)
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Hold on, the Chuck trade WAS NOT TO BUILD AROUND REGGIE. It wasn't.

It was Bob Hill (or Walsh) in love with a big name PG who would lead the team because they thought Michael wasn't enough. They loved the IDEA of Pooh, but the truth of Pooh was that he sucked. The trade was a disaster because Michale was like George Hill now, good enough to be your PG if it allows you to keep bigger stars.

Detlef wasn't traded to make it Reggie's team either. Detlef was traded because A) that's what Brown does, he insists on moves to make it "his" team and B) there was concern that the team had too many scorers, because for some reason they thought that was a thing.

Of course RUN-TMC proved that 3 offensive minded gunners could play together. And Brown proved that even if you get rid of your all-star (Det was the more recent AS and would be an AS with Seattle too, while McKey never made the ASG) there was still enough talent to win if you used it right. Jay likes Bob Hill but to me he wasted talent. Hill was just a lot better than Versace, so it's like following JOB with Isiah.

They never should have traded Det, even though McKey was a great defender and they 100% never should have wasted their time trying to get a "name" PG...although there was a bit of that going on when they went after Jackson later, but in some ways he was trying to recover his name in LAC after "failing" in NYC.

Williams went on to set the NBA record for consecutive FTM in Minny, BTW. Then he got injured and his career was over.

Also, by far the greatest Pacers trade ever was sending Herb to Dallas for Detlef. Not young Herb either, but old Herb for a rising NBA star that was a key figure in the pre-drug implosion of the first great Mavericks team.

To think what the 88-93 era Pacers could have been with good coaching. If only they'd done what Detroit did and find a good coach and stick with him and the roster as it grew. I posted elsewhere how Detroit just kept things intact despite numerous playoff "failures", having the vision to believe in their talent.

Also Jay mentioned them "getting Antonio", but some of you might not realize that the Pacers drafted him and then let him play in Europe for 2 seasons (as I recall, maybe just 1) to season his game a bit. He was the team's best 2nd round pick ever. Sorry Lance fans, but not only was Tony great in general, but he made the ASG too (after being traded unfortunately).

Draft smart, trade smart, keep the team together. This is where you have Rik, Dale, Reggie, Tony together for years and years and across multiple coaches. That's why they were so great by 1998. That and the fact that somehow you rented Jax to Denver for a half-season in order to get Rose.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Here's a good one about one of the rematches after the "punt". Pippen's punt! (This is required reading for Reggie's contribution. Seriously, click the link. You'll be laughing.)

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...ie-miller-foul

Box score:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...203030CHI.html

I need to find the original Tribune article, though I only saw it in the print edition of the Taylor University library back in the day.

The Bulls proceded to declare that Chuck Person "had the least class of any player in the NBA" after the second punt of the ball into the stands, because the ball had the audacity to land near where the coach's wives were sitting.

So when Reggie goaded Pippen into punting that ball...

(Still looking for the other one, in context it is great too.)
    Here's the original...

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...h-phil-jackson

(I hate that ***hole Jordan. Can I type that while within Chicago city limits. If this is my last post ever, you know why...)

Here's his quote:

Person was ejected in the fourth quarter after kicking the basketball nearly into the first balcony following a foul and near fight with Will Perdue in which Person tossed the ball at Perdue. ``We maintained our poise and let our basketball do the talking,`` said Jordan. ``Person`s actions certainly were discrediting to the NBA. To show your temper that way when you get kicked out of the ballgame, you don`t drop kick the ball into the crowd and possibly hurt someone. I`m pretty sure the league will look at it and take some action.``

Michael Jordan can **** my ****.

Pretty sure he didn't say the same when Pippen punted the ball in the stands.

Again, some great trash talking by Reggie going on here, too. Click the link.

And here's the article where we kicked their butts for the sixth straight time at MSA three weeks prior, ending the Bulls' 11 game winning streak away from MSA, after which Reggie said, "Take away Michael and who do they have? A bunch of nobodies."

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...r-horace-grant

I'm with Reggie. Pippen was horribly overrated. And we matched up well with Boston and Chicago back in that era but couldn't consistently take care of the teams we were supposed to beat.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Reggie's "never take advice from chuck person" stories were always the best

I'd love for somebody to be commissioned to do a Terry Pluto/ Loose Balls style of book and sit down Person, Miller, Barkley, Gary Payton, Drexler, T. Hardaway, Dominique, Tom Chambers, and a few other guys from that era and get them to tell stories and talk trash. I'm guessing Barkley and Reggie could drive an entire chapter of "Never take advice from Chuck Person" stories. In the early to mid 90s, Jordan, Bird and Magic got all the headlines but there was a very interesting league elsewhere and unlike the 80s and CBS, NBC was covering the entire league.

= = = = = = = = =

A friend's kid was a Pacers' ballboy in that era. He said as long as you had a Snickers bar on Mr. Person's chair after practice he was a happy camper.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

You may be bored with this, but I'm not. Here are a few from the SI archives:

Early in his rookie season:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...58/1/index.htm

Highlight...

He's averaging a team-high 17.4 points, most of them with that glorious jumper from 18 feet or a whole lot farther—he hit a 40-foot fadeaway buzzer-beater last month to edge Milwaukee 104-103—but that's not the point. He truly tries hard all the time, which makes him real special in the NBA. He rebounds (averaging a team-leading 8.9 caroms per game), he runs the fast break and unerringly hits the right man, and—no joke—he plays defense. "Offense takes innate talent," says Person, "but defense just takes practice and guts."

Yet who wants to rebound, make assists, play defense? Well, Person does: "You have to love all parts of the game," he says. "Besides, it's an awful easy job for incredible money, isn't it?"
    Christmas 1989/ early in Dick Versace's first full season, which got off to a red-hot start. In part because Chuck and Reggie were both in the top-five in the league in minutes played. This did catch up with them on their way back down to 0.500:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...74/1/index.htm

Highlight...

In the locker room after the Denver game, Person made a point of whispering encouraging words in Smits's ear. Person had been an unpopular first-round pick by Walsh in 1986—Pacer fans preferred Indiana native Scott Skiles—but was named Rookie of the Year. In the two seasons since then, he has struggled with his roles on the court and as a captain this season and last. Five days after saying he wanted to assume the leadership role, he showed up late to a shootaround. He either shot too little or was selfish, spoke out too often or was silent. Person took a lot of the heat for the Pacers' prolonged funks but was still expected to bail them out in the clutch, as he did when he made a last-second jump shot to give the Pacers their two-point win over the Bulls on Dec. 8.
    THE Boston series:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...38/1/index.htm

Highlight...

The Rifleman had had the last word in Game 4, when after scoring 12 straight Indiana points in the final five minutes, Person backpedaled downcourt, gestured wildly to the crowd and shouted. "Nobody can guard me! Nobody! I'm a bad man!"

Person's performance that night was an uncanny display of nervy pressure shooting, even if the primary defensive victim was Bird, who these days would have trouble covering a book in the open floor.

Person's last three-pointer, with 2:06 to go, was the backbrcaker. With the score tied 109-109, Bird had tried to slip an entry pass down low to McHale, but Person—whom the Celtics consider not merely a bad defender but a horrible one—stepped in front of McHale and made the steal. He dribbled up the right wing with only one thought in mind and pulled up and let fly from the three-point line. "I shot it as high as I could," said Person, "so everyone could admire it."

The ball went in and for one brief and shining moment, Chuck Connors Person (that's his real name) was the best darned jump shooter on the planet. Afterward, in the Pacer locker room, he was predictably Chuck-full of comments. A sampling:

•"Larry knew I was in his ear, and now I'm going to be in his dreams."
    •"I knew when Larry and McHale got on me, the shots were going in. It's like I was out there for target practice, shooting H-O-R-S-E by myself."
    •"Unless they come up with something different, we're going to go tear some of that parquet up in Boston."
    After he joined San Antonio:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...5915/index.htm

Highlight...

Now Person is reunited with Spur coach Bob Hill, a former coach with the Pacers, Person's team for his first six NBA seasons. Hill says Person is good for any team. "He's one of the most intelligent players on the court, one of the hungriest and one of the best practice players," Hill says.

Person has always been a terrific shooter. He and Larry Bird used to play one-on-one during the summers in Indiana. Who's better? Person says, "From 15 to 16 feet he's better. From outside the arc there's no question who's better." O.K., who's better: Person or Reggie Miller? "It's about even," Person says. "We'll shoot H-O-R-S-E for an hour, all shots behind the old arc, and we'd make 25, 30, 40 in a row. It would be amazing." Is there a better shooter than Person? "As much as I hate to say this," he replies, "Wesley is better." Wesley is Chuck's younger brother, a rookie with the Phoenix Suns.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So Bird and Person used to meet up in the summers and play HORSE? That's pretty cool.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I don't remember exactly when this occurred but I would see Chuck and sometimes Clark K. at Bally's at keystone at the Crossing. I remember that he would just ramble on to anyone and not saying anything in particular that made sense and thinking he was just a dumb guy. I was surprised when his coaching career started and had to come to the conclusion that it was just an act that he appeared to be not too bright.

Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    I don't remember exactly when this occurred but I would see Chuck and sometimes Clark K. at Bally's at keystone at the Crossing. I remember that he would just ramble on to anyone and not saying anything in particular that made sense and thinking he was just a dumb guy. I was surprised when his coaching career started and had to come to the conclusion that it was just an act that he appeared to be not too bright.
    Used to see Chuck and Vern up at the Y playing games. And yes Chuck could dunk the ball. In his later years with a bad back he had problems dunking. I had forgotten the Chuck punts. Good times. Only to be out done by Reggies bow after hittting the supposed winning shot in Chicago. Better times.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

17. The Following User Says Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

Default Re: share your Chuck Person anecdotes

Getting Chucks autograph when I was a member of the Junior Pacers club waaaay back in 91'@ University of Indianapolis. Another one that was already mentioned.....Chuck kicking the ball into the stands at Chicago Stadium. I was only 9 at the time but I still remember it.
    Last edited by Mr_Smith; 02-13-2013 at 10:14 PM.
    And the walls came tumbling down.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    So Bird and Person used to meet up in the summers and play HORSE? That's pretty cool.

This was an era where you went at each other like mad on the court, but everybody hung out in the offseason. Don't remember if Chuck would drive down to French Lick, if Bird came up to Geist, or if they met at a neutral court.

EDIT - in the Barkley interview posted below, Chuck said they'd all meet at Hinkle in the summers to play pickup games.

Bird used to sponsor a charity game at MSA every summer. This is what NBA summers were like 25 years ago...

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...inique-wilkins

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Bird used to sponsor a charity game at MSA every summer. This is what NBA summers were like 25 years ago...

Chuck threw down an unbelievable dunk in Larry's Game one year. He said jokingly he was going to add it to his regular game....

Of course that was before:

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-7666000.htmlBad back and all, Bird goes one-on-one with Person

The Boston Globe (Boston, MA)
    June 24, 1991 | Peter May, Globe Staff | Copyright

INDIANAPOLIS -- The war of words, mixed with the predictable smiles and laughter, continues between those two noted quotemasters, Larry Bird and Chuck Person.

The two were at it again last night as Person played in, and Bird coached/watched the fourth annual Larry's Game at Market Square Arena. They tossed generally good-natured verbal darts at each other in the Pacers-Celtics playoff series last April and they were doing the same last night.

"I hope Larry comes back," Person said. "I want to send him out in style, the right way. I want to give him his going-away party."

Bird was asked if he had had any offseason contact with Person.

"Chuck works for me. He mows …
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

22. The Following User Says Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This was an era where you went at each other like mad on the court, but everybody hung out in the offseason. Don't remember if Chuck would drive down to French Lick, if Bird came up to Geist, or if they met at a neutral court.

Interesting. I found another article about "Larry's Game" from 1988:

INDIANAPOLIS — Larry Bird, Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan will headline the cast for a benefit basketball game June 26 in Market Square Arena.

Bird is the official host for "Larry's Game," which will provide scholarships for Indiana students at state universities and colleges.

http://articles.latimes.com/1988-06-..._magic-johnson

I bet that was a packed house. Bird and Magic in the prime of their careers, along with a young 45 coming fresh off an MVP season, scoring title, dunk contest, and DPOY. Chuck was also there.

EDIT: Also found an SI article about the 89 game:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...49/1/index.htm
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 02-13-2013 at 11:15 PM.

YES!! A ChuckBurger sighting. Its been reloaded!

Thanks for sharing. Brings back some great memories. I was a huge Chuck fan and was there for Game 4 vs. Celtics. Definitely true about crowd willing Pacers to victory. I remember players saying afterwards that it was loudest crowd that they had ever heard. Roof nearly blew off when Chuck stopped for that 'fast break' three.

Also LOVED Chuck kicking ball way into stands in Chicago. Always admired players who hated to lose more than the so many that seem not to care. Thanks again for the post.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Eraser For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eraser View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Brings back some great memories. I was a huge Chuck fan and was there for Game 4 vs. Celtics. Definitely true about crowd willing Pacers to victory. I remember players saying afterwards that it was loudest crowd that they had ever heard. Roof nearly blew off when Chuck stopped for that 'fast break' three.

Also LOVED Chuck kicking ball way into stands in Chicago. Always admired players who hated to lose more than the so many that seem not to care. Thanks again for the post.
    Post more Eraser! 17 posts in 9 years is too few!

Good Lord this thread is filled with fantasy, revisionism and good old fashioned horse ****.

I can’t tell from reading Jay’s posts if were talking about Chuck Person or Elgin Baylor.

But far be it from me to interject any reality (stuffing Dave Overpeck in a trash can) into this highly entertaining thread.

I’m willing to overlook the slights and insults to Clark Kellogg (Jay’s irrational hatred of C.K. rivals my irrational hatred of Jermaine O’Neal) and I’m even willing to pretend that the trade was made with anything in mind other than getting more for less but what I can not and will not do is pretend to let the statements of Chuck Person being the first player to take us to the Playoffs and the first star in the NBA.

If I did I would be required to turn in my Billy Knight fan card and burn all of the golden idols I’ve made to him over the years. Yes kids prior to the immortal Dale Davis elevating himself to Godhood I was a fan of a totally opposite kind of player.

Both Billy Knight & Don Buse made the 1976/77 All-Star game.

Billy was second only to Pete Maravich that season in scoring for the entire league avg. 26.6 ppg.

Don Buse had an even better year leading the league in both Steals 3.5 spg and assists at 8.5 (most of those going to Billy).

So no Chuck Person was not the first star in the NBA for the Pacers, both of these players were stars.

As to the playoffs? The team made the playoffs in the 1980/81 season led by Billy Knight who had returned to the team via trade as well as Don Buse who also came back to the team that year but by that time injury and age had taken its toll on Don so he was not the player he was just 4 years before.

All kidding aside I liked Chuck (not to the insane level that Jay did) and him kicking the ball into the stands at the old Chicago Stadium may be one of my favorite Pacers memory’s ever. In fact I wish they would play that in our opening montage prior to tip off.

I do have another more personal anecdote to share in ref. to the Rifleman. Diamond Dave was born on the day that Chuck Person was drafted. I kept telling my wife she either had to do this before or after because I didn’t want to miss the draft but no, he had to come out that day. My belief is that he felt the need to warn us all about Chuck’s lack of defense but I can’t prove it.

Anyway now that I’ve had my moment of reality I now turn you back to the imaginary world where Chuck Person was a God.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Peck and jay are two of my favorite people in all of Internet-land...so of course I'm in the middle on this issue...

I do take offense to peck trying to butt in on the ten-year running joke that has been me needling Jay about Chuck's defense....

Whenever I think of chuck vs. Larry, i immediately think of the Monty python skit with the knight provoking a duel, getting all of his limbs chopped off and yet somehow believes he's winning the fight...

Where do you think you're going, Larry?

Chuck, the game's over. I scored 38 points and we won by fifteen. I'm going to the locker room.

Oh, running away are you? Get back here!
    Last edited by Kstat; 02-14-2013 at 03:42 AM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Good Lord this thread is filled with fantasy, revisionism and good old fashioned horse ****.

I can’t tell from reading Jay’s posts if were talking about Chuck Person or Elgin Baylor.

But far be it from me to interject any reality (stuffing Dave Overpeck in a trash can) into this highly entertaining thread.
    Oh you had to go there, did you? It was a closed locker room. Just because Overpeck was trespassing in order to apologize to Tank Thompson for the nasty article he'd just published doesn't give him a free pass. Chuck was just enforcing the "no media allowed" rules.

Or not...

EDIT - did I ever tell this story on here. Back when I worked downtown, my gym membership included access to NIFS. I was over there shortly after Robin Miller wrote his article on Neto's red white and blue money ball. Robin was in the lockerroom at the same time and was passing the ball around, giving Neto free advertising.

So I said, "Hey, Robin, which trash can exactly did Chuck stuff your colleague in?" He just laughed. And pointed to a trash can at the end of the row of lockers.

I’m willing to overlook the slights and insults to Clark Kellogg (Jay’s irrational hatred of C.K. rivals my irrational hatred of Jermaine O’Neal) and I’m even willing to pretend that the trade was made with anything in mind other than getting more for less but what I can not and will not do is pretend to let the statements of Chuck Person being the first player to take us to the Playoffs and the first star in the NBA.

If I did I would be required to turn in my Billy Knight fan card and burn all of the golden idols I’ve made to him over the years. Yes kids prior to the immortal Dale Davis elevating himself to Godhood I was a fan of a totally opposite kind of player.

Both Billy Knight & Don Buse made the 1976/77 All-Star game.

Billy was second only to Pete Maravich that season in scoring for the entire league avg. 26.6 ppg.

Don Buse had an even better year leading the league in both Steals 3.5 spg and assists at 8.5 (most of those going to Billy).

So no Chuck Person was not the first star in the NBA for the Pacers, both of these players were stars.

As to the playoffs? The team made the playoffs in the 1980/81 season led by Billy Knight who had returned to the team via trade as well as Don Buse who also came back to the team that year but by that time injury and age had taken its toll on Don so he was not the player he was just 4 years before.
    True, but the 1981 team played a best of three series and got thumped in two uncompetitive games. (108-124 @ Philly, Julius dropped 32; and 85-96 in front of a whopping 8,921 fans at MSA. Were the curtains down?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...104020IND.html

What we said was Chuck led them to their first NBA playoff win, and captivated the fans into a pair of sold-out home playoff games.

All kidding aside I liked Chuck (not to the insane level that Jay did)
    I'm clearly not healthy...

and him kicking the ball into the stands at the old Chicago Stadium may be one of my favorite Pacers memory’s ever. In fact I wish they would play that in our opening montage prior to tip off.

I do have another more personal anecdote to share in ref. to the Rifleman. Diamond Dave was born on the day that Chuck Person was drafted. I kept telling my wife she either had to do this before or after because I didn’t want to miss the draft but no, he had to come out that day. My belief is that he felt the need to warn us all about Chuck’s lack of defense but I can’t prove it.

Anyway now that I’ve had my moment of reality I now turn you back to the imaginary world where Chuck Person was a God.
    Its a happier world.

Last edited by ChicagoJ; 02-14-2013 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Wrong columnist - it was Robin Miller

32. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

My favorite Chuck moment..... The Mrs. and I had season tickets back during the George Irvine plaque. The year before I remember vividly an interview with the Trailblazers where some players were asked "What do you think of the Pacers?". The answer given..... they're a bunch of really nice guys but honestly it's like playing a semi pro team. As a fan of the Pacers that hurt and was such an embarrassment that another team could disrespect them that much.

Enter 1986 with a new coach in Jack Ramsey and a new brash forward out of Auburn that changed within the first month the following season. Chuck will go down in my top 3 NBA Pacer favorites. It was the 3rd or 4th home game of the season and the Pacers were down to the Milwaukee Bucks. IIRMC it was 2 seconds or less and I naturally thought the game was over even though we had the ball. Previous bad losing seasons had jaded me big time. Ball comes into the Rifleman and with an awkward off balance catch and shoot ....boom baby.... do you believe in miracles. That my friends was the first time I realised we have a team that doesn't have to take **** from no one.

On a pesonal note the Mrs. and I had an opportunity to Chuck on many occasions and he was always very approachable. Funny thing during that time Wayman Tisdale had this reputation of being the big ole jolly goofy grin guy who you expected to embrace the fans. Chuck really liked the attention and Wayman would rather not be bothered.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

For Chuck's first game back in MSA while playing for the Timberwolves, it was actually Micheal Williams that stole the show in crunch time and helf off the Pacers' rally.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...302120IND.html

There were a large number of navy #45 jerseys in the stands that night. Rumors were bouncing around the arena that Chuck and Micheal might come back out and say hi to friends and sign autographs. When the game ended, we didn't head for the exit we walked toward Aisle #12 and were standing behind the Wolves' bench.

Christian Laettner was a rookie for the Wolves that season, and was also known to come out of the lockerrom after the game looking for cute females to talk to.

There were more than a 1,000 people surrounding the tunnel at the east end of MSA. Micheal came out and quietly talked to some people Chuck doesn't do anything quiet, and came out to a nice ovation. Laettner came out, and this might be the one game of the season that nobody wanted to talk to him. He wondered around, he'd probably never seen anything quite like that - "a crowd of people out here and not one of them wants to see me?!" Lots of people were saying to Chuck, "Come home, please, this trade is killing us." The Pacers were in the middle of a seven-game losing streak at that time.

Somebody to my side shouted, "Say something, Chuck!" And Chuck's response?

"Boom, Baby!", he yelled, then jogged back into the wrong tunnel... the east tunnel.

Here's an early article of how the trade was pretty much neutral to both teams (as they both had different/ bigger problems that weren't addressed by the trade):

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/199...laettner-smits

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Great sit down with Barkley from a couple of years ago.. some rare Game #4 footage in the first minute or two.

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/ba...en_person.nba/

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

A few opinions:

"Then Donnie Walsh outsmarted himself by trading Rifleman and Micheal Williams for a pile of Pooh (Richardson) and some spare change."

That "spare change" included Sam Mitchell, the leader in the locker room in the Pacer glory days in the 90's. C'mon now.

Larry said 'Merry Christmas.'

No, Larry said 'Merry CENSORED Christmas.' Rhymes with mucking.

re: Chuck's BB IQ was equal to Larry's

Jebus wept. No. No! Loved the Rifleman, but he was terrible defensively and a poor passer. Not a clever scorer, either. Not sure where the IQ would be demonstrated.

Detlef shouldn't have been traded.

Yes he should've. Det was a stat stuffer who didn't fit. Heavy D Mckey saved the Pacer butts so often it was ridiculous. Or put another way, the classic 90's Pacers played excellent D with the slowest starting center and point guard in the league. The Davises were stout, and Reggie was okay, but Heavy D was Heavy D. Recognize.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to danman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-7666000.htmlBad back and all, Bird goes one-on-one with Person

The Boston Globe (Boston, MA)
    June 24, 1991 | Peter May, Globe Staff | Copyrigh
    Free trial for the entire article. Plenty of hilarity involved...

INDIANAPOLIS -- The war of words, mixed with the predictable smiles and laughter, continues between those two noted quotemasters, Larry Bird and Chuck Person.

The two were at it again last night as Person played in, and Bird coached/watched the fourth annual Larry's Game at Market Square Arena. They tossed generally good-natured verbal darts at each other in the Pacers-Celtics playoff series last April and they were doing the same last night.

"I hope Larry comes back," Person said. "I want to send him out in style, the right way. I want to give him his going-away party."

Bird was asked if he had had any offseason contact with Person.

"Chuck works for me. He mows my yard. I see him every day," Bird said.

Does he do a good job?

"Not really. He has to ride."

Bird continued, "if it wasn't for Chuck, I'd be averaging about 12 points a game in my career. He reminds me a lot of my little brother. I want to beat him real bad every time I play him."

Bird also said his triple-double against Indiana in Game 1 of the quarterfinal series should carry an asterisk because he did it against Person.

What about it, Chuck?

"Actually, he was lucky I didn't guard him," Person maintained. "Then he would have had an awful series and everyone would have wanted to trade him instead of making him have surgery and bringing him back for another year. They would have wanted him to retire. I let some other guys guard him so he could have a good series and come back and help the league next year."

Bird had the final word slight, however. He was the coach on Person's team. And that afforded him the opportunity to turn his back on the Pacers' motormouth during the introductions.

Bird sat on the bench during the game, letting Pacer coach Bob Hill call the shots, such as they needed to be called. He wore a white "Larry's Game" shirt, a far cry from his street clothes attire, an olive green shirt with some unreadable black scribblings on it.

His coaching debut ended with a 178-170 defeat, despite 22 points from Dee Brown. Afterward, Charles Barkley noted, "There is one thing you cannot have in this game and expect to win and that's poor coaching. I knew when Larry showed up with a beer at halftime that it wasn't all that serious."

The Celtics' franchise forward is getting in his 7 miles a day of walking. He's also doing some exercises in water, although he wouldn't call it swimming. "Flopping around a little bit," he said.

The summer is only a few days old and already Bird said his biggest enemy is boredom. There are only so many baseball games to see, and he does watch a lot of them. He has done a little fishing, but finds that tiring because he has to stand all the time.

He made no predictions as to when he might be able to play. Or, for that matter, if he even would play. He is encouraged that there has been no pain since the day he left New England Baptist Hospital 16 days ago.

"I'll be glad when the summer is over," he said. "To see if I can play without pain or play at all."

He repeated his recent thoughts on the Celtics. Brian Shaw should not be traded or even shopped. The team can play with anyone if everyone is healthy. They should have beaten the Pistons even with their injuries. They could use an outside shooter in the draft.

And, he said, he really doesn't have any regrets about the way he handled things as the season -- and the pain -- intensified.

"When you're limited and can't prepare yourself, it's frustrating," he said. "I chose to play and do my best. I probably feel better about myself this year than I ever have. What I went through, the problems I had and the way I dealt with them."

But didn't even he think things became a bit absurd? Like, for instance, spending the night in the hospital in traction?

"Sometimes you've gotta do things that you don't feel like doing and don't want to do," he said. "For some reason, my body has been good to me and overcome a lot of adversity. There was a lot of days I lay there and didn't think I could play."

And he made it clear that if there are any of those days next season, he won't play.

"I'm not going through another year like I did last year," he said. "As a matter of fact, it's got to feel pretty good. I'm not going to whine about retiring now because I want to play. I'll have to see how it feels. It's very important for me to have a healthy back for the rest of my life, instead of beating and banging for another season."

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Digging around with my free trial...

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-7657889.html

Here's Bob Ryan's article after Game #2 of the 1991 playoffs. I'm going to highlight one thing in here that is particuarly interesting to all those that are so fixated with Larry Bird's milk-drinker comment a few years ago...

With just over a minute to go, and the stunning Pacer victory safely stowed away in the icebox, Reggie Miller was dribbling away a little time when Chuck Person started calling for the ball.
    "Reggie!" he pleaded. "Lemme have one more three, Reggie. I want one more three!"

Person already had an NBA playoff record seven 3-pointers. He had personally acted as Boston's Lord High Executioner, humiliating the Celtics on their own hallowed floor by scoring 39 points without the aid of a free throw. But he wanted more. He wanted to hear the Celtics, the Garden fans, the city of Boston and all of New England bleat a pathetic no mas. Chuck Person was going to extract every minute bit of pleasure from this exquisite afternoon of basketball virtuosity he possibly could.

"I love it," he declared when the 130-118 win was finally recorded in the books. "National TV. Parquet floor. Those {expletive} banners up there. The leprechauns. They were all trying to stop me, and no one did."

How good was Chuck Person yesterday? "Gym rats all over America had to love that performance," said Miller. "There'll be guys going out there now throwing up shots from everywhere after watching that. When I'm in awe, that's saying something, because I feel I'm the best shooter in the league."

Not yesterday. The NBA is a gunfighter's circuit, and there was no one in the league -- or, for that matter, in the world -- who could have shot a basketball with more precision and accuracy and flair and sheer destructiveness than Chuck Person did in Boston Garden on this particular Sunday afternoon.

He hit shots from straight down the middle. He hit shots from the left wing. He hit shots from the right wing. He hit shots from the corner. He hit turnarounds. He hit shots on transition, catching long passes and firing up effortless treys that did not so much strike the nylon cords as they did caress them. There was none of this "shooter's roll," bounce around the rim six times and fall in stuff. He could have scored his 39 points had the rim circumference been reduced by 6 inches. What more can you say? He was so devastating that even Reggie Miller was impressed.

Remember, please, that he was doing this on the road in a playoff game against the most tradition-laden team in basketball. He had willingly assumed the role of Public Enemy No. 1 by initiating a public spat with the ultimate local hero. On Friday night Larry Bird put down Chuck Person. The Celtics won the game and Larry Bird got the headlines. Yesterday Chuck Person orchestrated the videotape he's always wanted of a Celtics-Pacers game, out-Larrying Larry in his own living room and then trashing said icon when it was over.

"This is my day in the sun," he smirked. "I got the last laugh here in the Garden. Maybe I'll have to go home and put my arm in traction tonight."

When he couldn't think of anything else to say, Person outlined the strategy for doing it all over again when the teams resume combat Wednesday night at Market Square Arena.

"We've basically got mismatches at every position," he explained. "Now, being a scorer, I've got to know how to analyze the tendencies of the defensive players. {Kevin} Gamble and {Reggie} Lewis, I just take them low. Kevin and Larry, they know I can take them off the dribble, so they back off and give me the shot. If they do get up, I just take one dribble and I can get free for the shot."

Humility, you may have noted, is not one of Person's long suits.

"Chuck talks," admits Indiana president Donnie Walsh, "but he can back it up. You've gotta have some guys like that on your team. This is not a melba toast league."

Chuck Person
    has always done a lot of talking for a guy who in five seasons has yet to appear in an All-Star Game. Granted, the small forward spot is a glamour position, and the East All-Star team always seems to be clogged up with such names as Bird, McHale, Barkley, Wilkins, King and a few others of note, but if Chuck's as good as he suggests, he'd have a little more hardware and jewelry to display. Or perhaps all he's needed is the proper forum to display his talents. Dropping seven threes and 39 points on the Celtics in a playoff game at the Garden tends to get people's attention.

"I've seen him shoot that way before," says Walsh, "but this was for a lot higher stakes. I've always thought he was on the borderline between very good and great."

"I've seen him play that way before," agreed LaSalle Thompson. "Today you saw it."

The Pacers long ago reconciled themselves to Person's bravado, his swagger, his taunting, his emotional outbursts, his basic, well, Chuckness. Person, unlike most players, really wants to be the complete center of attention. "No matter what I do in a game," he shrugs, "if we lose, it's my fault. That's fine with me. I've got wide enough shoulders to carry the load."

Even a bored Chuck Person has more confidence than 95 percent of his peers. With this historic performance as a springboard, the question arises: What outrageous things might he say and do when the Celtics arrive Wednesday night?

"Good question," smiles Reggie Miller. "With Chuck, anything is possible."
    "Melba Toast League"??!? Donnie,

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post: