Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: share your Chuck Person stories

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default Re: share your Chuck Person stories

Sorry Danman, but the Sonics W/L record begs to differ. Detlef was fine. He didn't fill up empty stats, he did whatever needed to be done. He could pull you outside for the 3, he could get the pass you needed and he rebounded as well as Paul George did. And he did it all coming off the bench in a league where everyone wants to be a starter.

McKey was also functional and a strong defensive player. But the the 2000 Pacers went to the Finals NOT ON DEFENSE, BUT ON OFFENSE (and McKey played a lot less minutes for that team). They weren't just good on offense, they were elite on offense. So this idea that you had to lock guys down as the only way to win is just not true.

Larry Brown (even if he didn't believe it), Phil, Pop, Sloan, and Carlisle/Bird - these guys would have won a ton of games with a roster of Jax/Workman, Reggie, Chuck/Detlef/Dale, Rik - Tony, Best. Bob Hill was a classic .500 coach and proved it elsewhere. Worth giving a shot to coach, but not on par with the title winning coaches.

This is what bothers me the most about so few Pacers games featuring Detlef on Classic/DVD. The Reggie in Charlotte game shows Detlef all over the place, and that's not even one of his elite games. The nights he was hitting triple doubles or close to them, you knew he was out there. Those weren't "empty" stats.

It's like saying Carlisle was better off without Brad Miller because the team won so many more games. No he wasn't. He was just so much better as a coach than Isiah that despite a roster handicap he still won a lot more.

Brown was better than Bob Hill, and if they'd kept Detlef then right now you'd be remember a bunch of different big plays Det made on the ECF runs instead of McKey. Different, maybe not defensive, but some assists, scores, or rebounds that were key to the wins. Because with Brown instead of Hill they were going to win more, period. Plus Brown was also given Antonio Davis for free that first year because he was just coming back from Europe.

McKey was a great Pacers and a tough defender, clearly far better than Detlef on defense. But Det crushed him on offense and made All-Star teams with 2 different teams and as a bench player in the case of the Pacers. How many 6th men also make the ASG? Not many.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Again, read Jay's posted articles from game 2. Now look at my story about Chuck doing a flipping WC appearance AFTER that game and BEFORE game 3. And you get 15-20 fans showing up?

Remember this when the liars tell you how they were always being the team and always loved Reggie. It's total bulls***. MSA did worse back then than the BiLF just did for that Bobcats game. If it's not IU they don't care and never did.

Game 3 and 4 of that series were the first time MSA really seemed to fill up, and as Jay mentions it had to do just as much with all the Larry Bird fans that wore Celtics jerseys to the game. Like 50/50.

Can you imagine 50% of the RCA dome being Brady jerseys for the AFC CG? It was so bad back then that it dwarfs the Miami/Chicago attendance problems we have now.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

That game was the 11th greatest in Pacers history, at least up until the 93-94 team yearbook was published (although there is a total points typo). Also, apparently Peck was part of the fan base that helped run Chuck out of town on a rail.........
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bob Hill was a classic .500 coach and proved it elsewhere. Worth giving a shot to coach, but not on par with the title winning coaches.
    There's a middle ground you're missing. You know I was going to go here:

1994-95 NBA SAS 82 62 20 .756 21.0 1 15 9 6 .600
    1995-96 NBA SAS 82 59 23 .720 18.0 1 10 5 5 .500

Now everybody knows the difference. Those Spurs teams had a better roster. Bo Hill had a 0.500 roster with the Pacers and that's exactly what they got from him.

Larry Brown didn't take the same team to more success. He took one look at the roster and made a lot of changes.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Game 3 and 4 of that series were the first time MSA really seemed to fill up, and as Jay mentions it had to do just as much with all the Larry Bird fans that wore Celtics jerseys to the game. Like 50/50.

Can you imagine 50% of the RCA dome being Brady jerseys for the AFC CG? It was so bad back then that it dwarfs the Miami/Chicago attendance problems we have now.
    My memory must be going bad but I remember while the game started out with the usual Celtic crowd it ended completely a pro Pacer crowd including those Indy idiots wearing the nasty green. Specifically Chuck was interviewed after the game and kept gushing he couldn't believe how much Pacer support there was. Even said he and Reggie looked at each other to ask if they were in the right building meaning it was a Pacer home crowd.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

They never should have traded Det, even though McKey was a great defender and they 100% never should have wasted their time trying to get a "name" PG...although there was a bit of that going on when they went after Jackson later, but in some ways he was trying to recover his name in LAC after "failing" in NYC.

Williams went on to set the NBA record for consecutive FTM in Minny, BTW. Then he got injured and his career was over.

Also, by far the greatest Pacers trade ever was sending Herb to Dallas for Detlef. Not young Herb either, but old Herb for a rising NBA star that was a key figure in the pre-drug implosion of the first great Mavericks team.
    I completely disagree with you that they never should have traded Deltef. Detlef and Brown were feuding and not getting along, he had to be traded and McKey was perfect for what this team needed at that time. Pacers would not have been as good in '94 or '95 without the Det for McKey trade.

Pacers did have way too many offensive players who didn't defend in the early 90's, they were extremely soft. Rik, Det, Chuck, Reggie, and Michael Williams - that was a horrible defensive lineup. Adding Woody, McKey, Dale Davis all tough physical defenders changed the culture of the team and they became winners. No Brown wouldn't have won with the offensive 5-some I listed above - not at all.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 02-15-2013 at 09:11 AM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Also Det let it be known to Donnie he wouldn't mind going home to Washington (the state, not the Capitol). Worked out both ways in Brown wanted a trade and Walsh didn't like how Detlef was outspoken about leaving for the west coast.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sorry Danman, but the Sonics W/L record begs to differ. Detlef was fine.
    I think that Payton and Kemp were the main reasons for their impressive W/L records. They won 55 games the year before Detlef came. They were both extremely young players then. Sure they won 63 when they added Detlef, but I think the growing of Payton and Kemp was the main reason for that improvement.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This thread is awesome! Chuck was just before I remember watching the Pacers. I mean I did with my grandparents but I was too young to remember what was going on. I remember being told about the punts in Chicago. And it was awesome to hear about Reggie trash talking Pippen and then saying they had nobody besides Jordan. Where is that now!? The NBA NEEDS that now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Tibbs View Post
    This thread is awesome!
    2nded, great thread!