Thread: Brooklyn trying to land Josh Smith

Default Brooklyn trying to land Josh Smith

Or they're trying to become the Hawks. Humphries for Smith works but after signing Smith to a max deal that would put them at 96 mil next year with 4 players yet to sign. I don't know if this makes them a true elite team but it might. With the upcoming tax penalties they'll be one of the very few teams willing to go that far into the L.T. They could have a base payroll of 120 mil in a short time with the multi year LT penalty kicking in. I don't think Cuban or Buss would go that far, Cuban has already shown signs of changing his spending ways. It sucks seeing the playing field that uneven for the Pacers although I do think the new tax will make it better then before. Brooklyn could soon be the most hated team in the nba.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/8934969/

The Brooklyn Nets are aggressively pursuing a trade for Atlanta Hawks star forward Josh Smith, league sources told ESPN.
    The two teams are engaged in discussions, but one source said while "there has been lots of talk, nothing is close yet."
    As the NBA's Feb. 21 trade deadline nears, Brooklyn is proving to be one of the most active teams in the league. As reported by ESPN.com on Friday, sources said the Nets also are talking with the Charlotte Bobcats about a Kris Humphries-for-Ben Gordon trade.

Nets Blog

Looking for more Nets news? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog »

While the Nets certainly want Gordon, sources said acquiring Smith is their higher priority. A trade for Smith would seemingly kill a deal for Gordon, because Humphries is one of the players being discussed with Atlanta.
    The Nets are willing to give up Humphries and second-year shooting guard MarShon Brooks for Smith. But it almost certainly will take more than a Humphries-Brooks combination to pry Smith away from Atlanta, and one source said the Hawks want Brooklyn's first-round pick.
    Some scenarios that have been discussed include the Hawks' Anthony Morrow, who played the past two seasons with the Nets, returning to the club.
    ESPN.com's Marc Stein reported Saturday that the Hawks want a young center in return for Smith.
    The Nets may have to get a third team involved to pull off a trade for Smith.
    Smith will become a free agent this summer, and Atlanta is deciding whether to trade him before the deadline. One source close to the situation estimated there is a 60 percent chance the Hawks will move him.
    If the Hawks don't trade Smith, they risk losing him for nothing as a free agent. Atlanta could re-sign Smith, but he wants close to maximum-salary money, if not the max.
    One school of thought has the Hawks keeping Smith in order to make themselves more attractive to Smith's longtime friend and fellow Atlanta native, Dwight Howard.
    Howard, who is struggling through a nightmarish season with the Los Angeles Lakers, will become a free agent this summer, and Atlanta will join Dallas and Houston in offering him a max-salary contract. Sources have said Howard has little interest in playing in Atlanta.

Default Re: Brooklyn trying to land Josh Smith

As long as the Pacers can get in on that deal and get Korver with Green going back to the Nets. That would be terrific.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Then if they can find a way to get Horford from the Hawks they will be all set. Horford, Smith and Johnson from the Hawks along with Lopes and D. Williams. Like a two-team merger into one super team.

The thread is about the Nets trying to gain Josh Smith, not what we may be able to trade in the meantime, or whatever, if this goes on that course, it will be in the trade forum faster than you can count your socks.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

It sucks to see a team be able to just buy a championship but that's what Cuban did and when L.A. ran the payrolls they did during the past 10 years it's kind of what they did as well. Now fewer teams will be able to do it but it looks like the Nets are willing. I don't feel like computing it but what would be the multi year penalty for a team with a base payroll of 120 mil? I'll bet it's over a 100 mil penalty.
    220 million versus the Pacers at 70.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It sucks to see a team be able to just buy a championship but that's what Cuban did and when L.A. ran the payrolls they did during the past 10 years it's kind of what they did as well. Now fewer teams will be able to do it but it looks like the Nets are willing. I don't feel like computing it but what would be the multi year penalty for a team with a base payroll of 120 mil? I'll bet it's over a 100 mil penalty.
    220 million versus the Pacers at 70.
    Starting next season, the tax burden gets significantly heavier. NBA teams must pay a $1.50-to-$1 ratio for the first $4.99 million they are over the luxury-tax threshold, a $1.75-to-$1 ratio for being $5 million to $9.99 million above the threshold, a $2.50 ratio for $10 million to $14.99 million over, and a $3.25 ratio for $15 million to $19.99 million beyond the threshold.

Teams that are $20 million or more over the tax level accrue additional penalties, increasing by 50 cents per dollar for every $5 million.
    Source: http://articles.latimes.com/2012/sep/18/sports/la-sp-lakers-luxury-tax-20120918

So, lets see, if Brooklyn went to $120M, and the luxury tax kicks in at $70, that's $50M. In years past, that would be a $50M penalty.

Now, they'd need to pay $6.25 for every $1 over the LT. That's $337.5M. I...I...I don't know what to say...

My math: $3.25 to $1 for $20M, increasing by $.50 for every $5M. BKN would be $30M over the base, which equals out to an additional $3.50 per $1 ON TOP of the $3.25. So, they'd pay $6.75 for every $1 over the LT, and $6.75 * $50M is $337.5M

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    Source: http://articles.latimes.com/2012/sep/18/sports/la-sp-lakers-luxury-tax-20120918

So, lets see, if Brooklyn went to $120M, and the luxury tax kicks in at $70, that's $50M. In years past, that would be a $50M penalty.

Now, they'd need to pay $6.25 for every $1 over the LT. That's $337.5M. I...I...I don't know what to say...

My math: $3.25 to $1 for $20M, increasing by $.50 for every $5M. BKN would be $30M over the base, which equals out to an additional $3.50 per $1 ON TOP of the $3.25. So, they'd pay $6.75 for every $1 over the LT, and $6.75 * $50M is $337.5M
    This can't be right, by the way. I'm missing something.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

This can't be right, by the way. I'm missing something.
    I calculated roughly $193.75m in tax for a $120m payroll, assuming $70m tax line. I think what's off in your calculation is that you're applying the highest tax rate on all money above the tax, but if I read Larry Coon's example right, it should be incremental. That is, the the highest tax rate only applies to the final $5m, while for the next $5m, the tax rate is $0.50 lower, and so forth. And that's not considering possible repeater tax penalties.

But let's just agree that the rapidly escalating multipliers would make any payroll significantly above $100m impractical, even for a Russian oligarch Currently the Lakers are around $100m team salary (assuming they keep Howard), and the Nets are around $90m. We'll see if either team is willing to add to that next year.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

As for the Hawks trading Josh Smith, I don't see what Brooklyn can offer that will tempt Hawks away from their cap space plan next summer.

I still think Hawks end up hanging on to Smoove, and even possibly re-signing him.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    I calculated roughly $193.75m in tax for a $120m payroll, assuming $70m tax line. I think what's off in your calculation is that you're applying the highest tax rate on all money above the tax, but if I read Larry Coon's example right, it should be incremental. That is, the the highest tax rate only applies to the final $5m, while for the next $5m, the tax rate is $0.50 lower, and so forth. And that's not considering possible repeater tax penalties.

But let's just agree that the rapidly escalating multipliers would make any payroll significantly above $100m impractical, even for a Russian oligarch Currently the Lakers are around $100m team salary (assuming they keep Howard), and the Nets are around $90m. We'll see if either team is willing to add to that next year.
    Ah, that's right. So, because I'm now extremely interested, I ran those numbers:

That look right? $195M, not counting the repeater penalties and so on?

Un. Freaking. Real.

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post

it will be in the trade forum faster than you can count your socks.

LOL! Never heard that one before!

Mood

As for the Hawks trading Josh Smith, I don't see what Brooklyn can offer that will tempt Hawks away from their cap space plan next summer.

I still think Hawks end up hanging on to Smoove, and even possibly re-signing him.
    Maybe Brooks, Blatch, Hump, 1st? Money works...and that Russian is just crazy enough to do something like that

You'd start:
    D-Will
    Joe
    Wallace
    Smoove
    Lopez

Bench would be the issue, again/still. My goodness that bench is bad.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Maybe Brooks, Blatch, Hump, 1st? Money works...and that Russian is just crazy enough to do something like that

You'd start:
    D-Will
    Joe
    Wallace
    Smoove
    Lopez

Bench would be the issue, again/still. My goodness that bench is bad.
    Why would either team do that deal lol. Nets won't get Smith without giving up Lopez IMO and I don't think Brooklyn would do that so I just don't think it's gonna happen.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Why would either team do that deal lol. Nets won't get Smith without giving up Lopez IMO and I don't think Brooklyn would do that so I just don't think it's gonna happen.
    Atlanta does it if they think Smoove is gone regardless.

Don't think it's a good deal, but Atlanta isn't going anywhere as is. I'd imagine they're tiring of the yearly "Josh Smith wants out" storyline put out there by his agent.

EDIT: Don't forget, Atlanta was so desperate to get rid of Joe Johnsons $20M that they literally gave him up for expirings and a pick (I think 2 guys from that deal are still on the roster, Morrow and DeShawn.)

Banned

I don't think Josh Smith matches with that Brooklyn team, it looks like they are trying to put as many good players as possible in one team but they don't care how they match.

Wow. Even with a rumored net worth of 18B, I don't think the owner will want to pay 200M per year salary for very long. Either the Nets would begin winning big time, or they would start dumping players themselves. But if he's willing to do it, you have to admire him... he's demonstrating he's willing to do anything to go after a title. I just hope that doesn't become the way of all owners with big money.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Nets truly don't have players to obtain Josh. Humphries, Brooks and 1ST should not get them Josh Smith. But something tells me it will happen cause its the Brooklyn Nets and Stern's pants are getting wet.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    Nets truly don't have players to obtain Josh. Humphries, Brooks and 1ST should not get them Josh Smith. But something tells me it will happen cause its the Brooklyn Nets and Stern's pants are getting wet.
    He'll probably veto the deal and send Smith to LA for Steve Blake and Pau.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Derek2k3 For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    The thread is about the Nets trying to gain Josh Smith, not what we may be able to trade in the meantime, or whatever, if this goes on that course, it will be in the trade forum faster than you can count your socks.
    Isn't speculation on how the P's might get in on a trade fair game for PD?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Let's hope so. Remember in addition to being a billionaire many times over due to his business enterprises, he also holds a 40-45% interest in the Barclay Center itself. It remains to be seen how many concerts, sporting events and the like will be held there, but I'd bet Prokhorov's take won't be insignificant.

He went on record promising a championship in 1-5 years. I wouldn't be shocked if he was willing to pay significant luxury tax penalties for a few years.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

Bad news for Dwight Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Isn't speculation on how the P's might get in on a trade fair game for PD?
    Sure, and we have a forum for that. That's because such posts turn into arguments over player value, and take over the thread.

And in this rumor the Pacers are not even mentioned, so it would all be pure speculation, that most don't want to read.

Mood

Ah, that's right. So, because I'm now extremely interested, I ran those numbers:

That look right? $195M, not counting the repeater penalties and so on?

Un. Freaking. Real.
    Larry Coon replied to my question on Twitter, he said it's approx $195M, but the repeater penalty is an additional $50M in this case. So, if you're over the LT by $50M, your actual hit (Including penalties) is $245M...PLUS the $120M. So, a payroll in excess of $350M.

Whoa.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

The Spurs are among the teams with interest in Hawks forward Josh Smith, a source told Yahoo! Sports. Keep in mind, Hawks general manager Danny Ferry was previously with the Spurs. Yahoo! Sports

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

If they do, would they trade away Gerald Wallace
    "We want Miami"