Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: This Board

Sports Logo

Default This Board

I was hoping someone could give me a brief history lesson regarding this board. I have been impressed with how well-established it is, and how many senior members there are.

The temperament is fairly civil here, too. Many well-established message boards have members that take things a bit too seriously. Sometimes they are overprotective and distrusting of new faces, but overall this place seems reasonable in that regard.

Who is the founder? Who are some of the original members? Did Pacers Digest come first, and the other forums (like Colts, IU, etc) come later?

Default Re: This Board

I know there have been previous threads on PDs history but I'm not sure where to find them search wise.

Hicks (MStamper) actually started the first PD around 2003. I think the common reason was frustration over the Indy Star board just getting too crazy on both moderation and non moderation. I had posted there since 1998 and somehow got kicked off in 2003 because of a spat with a trolling Celtics fan. Hicks built us a life line so to speak for fans who didn't agree with the Star's approach and how they had kicked off several long time members for no reason. It was a crazy time.
    Last edited by RWB; 02-11-2013 at 02:24 PM.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know there have been previous threads on PDs history but I'm not sure where to find them search wise.

Hicks (MStamper) actually started the first PD around 2003. I think the common reason was frustration over the Indy Star board just getting too crazy on both moderation and non moderation. I had posted there since 1998 and somehow got kicked off in 2003 because of a spat with a trolling Celtics fan. Hicks built us a life line so to speak.
    I was not aware that Hicks was MStamper! I thought he had just been away like he said he was going to be...
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J7F For This Useful Post:

If you want to see some original history try this.

http://pacersdigest.proboards.com/in...play&thread=12

Says I was a new member August 15th 2003. Wonder why it took me so long to register on the improved PD in 2004?
    Last edited by RWB; 02-11-2013 at 02:48 PM.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

PD Episode IV: A New Hope

It is a period of civil war.
    Rebel Pacer fans, striking
    from a hidden IP address, have won
    their first victory against
    the evil Indianapolis Star
    Forum Admins.

During the battle, PD
    spies managed to steal secret
    plans to the Star's
    ultimate weapon, the FORUM
    SOFTWARE, an open source
    application with enough power
    to destroy an entire member
    base.

Pursued by the Star's
    sinister agents, Hicks
    races toward Able Towers,
    custodian of the
    stolen code that can save his
    posters and restore
    freedom to the fanbase...
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

7. The Following 31 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Yeah IIRC the moderators on IndyStar were these invisible people that moderated pretty much arbitrarily... threads got deleted for no reason, some people got banned while worse offenders were ignored, etc. PD was very much Hicks' (and a few others') reaction to that I believe.

Hicks and the early mods he recruited really made a point early on to moderate fairly, transparently and in an engaged way. Honestly I think this simple (not easy, but simple) formula is the key to PD's success.

I actually did a lot of the graphic design for the first version or two of PD (I'm not bragging, the latest versions are much better lol), Hicks was learning as he went, able volunteered to host the site for free (I believe he still does), everyone was chipping in in different ways.

There were a lot of crazy features that came and went in the early days. There was sort of a blog/home page thing at one point; I did a couple issues of an "Onion"-like spoof Pacers news page; and of course the forum itself went through many many iterations. Once or twice for various reasons all the data / previous posts got lost (including the brawl I think?, but maybe I'm wrong), but now I think the archives go back to at least 2006, maybe earlier...

I'm sure others here (Hicks, Peck, Shade, UB, etc) could give a fuller picture, my involvement dropped substantially after 2005 or so...

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

RATS boards were over-run with ******** and no moderation at all. Piston fans were obnoxious to us and there was absolutely no control at all.

I remember getting the PM from someone on the RATS board, I wanna say it was Hicks, but mighta been someone else way back in 2003-2004 saying "Hey, we're starting a new board to get away from all this crap, you are welcome to join." So I did. It was a little slow going in the first year, but quickly turned into the best Pacer forum out there in terms of good discussion and mostly control of the trouble-makers, although a few have slipped through the cracks... but eventually they get weeded out.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    although a few have slipped through the cracks... but eventually they get weeded out.
    Hey now I think you would have to agree someone like Earl was a savant.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    I suppose I could give it a try.

The details are sketchy because, well, my memory blows without someone helping me remember sometimes, so I don't remember all the "who said what" 's and things like that.

What I do know is we were all (the original members of PD mostly were, anyway) posting on IndyStar, and various things were turning people off from it bit by bit. There was some trolling and uncivil attitude, though not nearly as bad as it is now, but enough to bug some of us. The admins never communicated with anyone, they just randomly decided to address private complaints by banning people or deleting threads.

I decided I could do better than those clowns, and clean up the trolls and uncivil stuff while I was at it. So I found a free message board hosting site, and decided to give it a whirl. This was through proboards.com. The original PD still exists as "Site B" or "Pacers Digest II" for when this place is down for a few hours.

I quickly tried to match the colors of this new board to IS so people felt more familiar. Bit by bit people gave me a chance. The first to give me a shot was Shade, who had been banned from IS days before. Soon I PMed several of what I considered to be the best posters of IS, to see if they would give me a shot.

Over the first couple months most eventually made the switch, but it was by no means a certainty at the time. I was 1/4 the admin I am now (no experience, too immature, less decisive, etc), and early on PD was rough around the edges. A lot of young posters, who at the time dominated discussion, and the rules were not clear cut at the time, so immaturity and uncivil stuff was hit and miss.

What saved me, was I made a hell of a lucky choice in seeking an advisor, kerosene. He had PMed me early on with some friendly advice, and it proved to be gold. I made him an admin to help me out, and we convinced Jose Slaughter to help both of us.

This was the beginning of shaping things up, but again it was not a smooth transition, and it was a gradual change. Not long after, Shade joined the admin ranks.

It was around September when I think Peck committed, and being the MVP that he is, once he did that, a lot of people who were on the fence between IS and PD jumped ship to PD, and that's when I started to think this might really get somewhere.

It was around then, that I decided to throw my money into it. I bought webspace with a provider I thought at the time was decent, and I moved PD from proboards to my server space, using phpbb as the forum software. In the months that followed, Jose left the admin ranks, and btown joined them. We were doing a better job of establishing what we expected out of this place, and starting to form an identity by having more clear rules, more consistent admining, things like that.

In January, PD nearly died. Either by slimy actions of my host, or by an attacker who they were too incompetent to deal with, the forum was nailed and my host shut it down because whomever was attacking us, was attacking 100 other sites that shared the server, and since it was originating from PD, they shut me down.

We re-grouped on proboards, and I have to say I was depressed. I thought things might die right then and there. Then I got a PM from able. He amazed me with his offer to host at no charge, PD. A man true to his word, he set me up with a server space, and we setup a fresh phpbb forum. I was too ignorant of how it worked at the time, so I mistakenly didn't save the database from the previous phpbb board, so we had to start from scratch.

Since that time, things have steadily improved. We continued on phpbb until the end of our 2004 playoff run, and then we decided to try a new software called bbBoard2. On the surface it looked like it rocked, but as time went on, we kept having problems, bugs, and slow connections. Eventually, we dropped it and through the big contribution of TheSauceMaster, who happened to own a license, we switched to this vBulletin that we still use today. Needless to say, vBulletin rocks.

Throughout that time, there were definite ups and downs forum-wise from a user and admin standpoint, but I feel we were overall improving as we went along.

These days, I think PD speaks for itself for the most part. Trolls don't last, civil discussion is promoted, the rules are clear, we admins deal with any problems, complaints, issues promptly as best we can, and we have a kick-*** group of people that post here now. A blend of old and young, a lot of good people, a lot of basketball knowledge, and a lot of humor.

I know I'm missing big things, but that's what I think of first off the top of my head, and anything I couldn't get into without assistance or else I'd screw it up.

Shade and kerosene might be able to fill in some of the gaps better than me.
    http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...hlight=history

There is also a TON in the Official PD FAQ thread stickied at the top of the forums.
    Last edited by ECKrueger; 02-11-2013 at 03:03 PM.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Many years ago a young modern day Moses decided to lead other loyal Pacer fans to the land of more free expression against the evil Indystar Pacer board.

After many years of growth and weeding Moses recently yeilded control to others and rested after a job well done.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to diamonddave00 For This Useful Post:

All-Star from Mostar StankoLover216's Avatar

SOMETIME STANKO WILL MAKING POST. BEFORE STANKO, THERE BEING NO REASON HAVE READ FORUM. STANKO COME INDIANA MAKE DUNK SHOT. BOOM IS BABY!
    Anadolu Efes: http://www.euroleague.net/competitio...m?clubcode=IST

Rudy Férnandez: “Será difícil para Pau defender a Barac”

18. The Following 43 Users Say Thank You to StankoLover216 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

BOOM IS BABY?!???!?!!!

Oh my.

Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by J7F View Post
    I was not aware that Hicks was MStamper! I thought he had just been away like he said he was going to be...
    I knew it was by his language and in a thread he was replying to me and he said something like "maybe we can get Hicks to clarify" and I laughed at that cause I knew it was him. I thought whatever man I guess he thought I didn't know that he was MStamper. LoL

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

J7F

Quote Originally Posted by diamonddave00 View Post
    Many years ago a young modern day Moses decided to lead other loyal Pacer fans to the land of more free expression against the evil Indystar Pacer board.

After many years of growth and weeding Moses recently yeilded control to others and rested after a job well done.
    Thus Pacers Digest was finished, and all the host of it.
    And in the tenth year Hicks ended his work which he had made; and he rested in the tenth year from all his work which he had made.

PD 2:1-2a

24. The Following User Says Thank You to iogyhufi For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StankoLover216 View Post
    SOMETIME STANKO WILL MAKING POST. BEFORE STANKO, THERE BEING NO REASON HAVE READ FORUM. STANKO COME INDIANA MAKE DUNK SHOT. BOOM IS BABY!
    Stanko is as entertaining as the Olympics, and unfortunately posts about as often.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StankoLover216 View Post
    Poster of the decade?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

27. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Nice find, PurduePacer. Wow, I wrote that back in May 2005.

Yes, if there is/was confusion, this is Hicks. I thought everyone knew that already.

Really, the tone is set by the admins and trickles down from there. Pretty much everybody here has stepped out of line a time or to, but Hicks and crew do a pretty good job of keeping everything civil.

Heck, I've even gotten the occasional reprimand, and I'm practically perfect in every way.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Yes, if there is/was confusion, this is Hicks. I thought everyone knew that already.
    I do what I can. I knew I remembered a thread on this issue so I set out to find it. Wasn't too hard.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ah, the old days....seemed like we were setting up a new pacers digest every other week....

It's pretty close to the 10th anniversary of the original PD, is it not? I recall things started up around draft time...
    Last edited by Kstat; 02-12-2013 at 02:04 AM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Mood

PD has no beginning or end. It just IS.

At least, for me, cuz I was never on RATS. My dad was, and he followed over here, then told me about it. This board has made me a better basketball fan, and sports fan in general.

Although, I'm still confused about the old Burlington Coat Factory story/joke...
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

I'm pretty new in the process of PD, relatively, but it really is incredibly civil. I don't mean to say the mods and admins don't do a great job, but I'm on here a lot, other than the odd spambot there's rarely actually anything that legitimately should be deleted. I've spent a good bit of time on random general basketball message boards, moderated some, one pretty popular one. The traffic to idiocy ratio is astoundingly low here, even compared to other team specific boards. Go read SpursTalk, or LakerGrounds, or any number of the SB Nation blogs.

I've been here from the beginning too...

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Poster of the decade?
    Was looking his thanked posts history and pumped into this gem from AesopRockOn

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...=1#post1427596

You **** up once, you lose two teeth

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post:

Ya know, it probably wouldn't be that bad of an idea to spruce that post up a bit and kind of make it a mission statement for the forum. Would be an easy way to introduce the website to newcomers.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to D0NT SH0OT ME For This Useful Post: