Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: It's amazing how ignorant our city is

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: It's amazing how ignorant our city is

Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just left a really long response. Hopefully someone will read it.

Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk
    I encourage everyone that can to do that as well. Complaining about it here won't help change ignorant people's perceptions any.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

You have to love the people who don't go to Pacer games, don't watch them on FSN, didn't watch them in college, but will comment in a minute about their behavior, their commitment and any other part of their life because in their opinion it costs too much to go to the games. Please don't come, you are determined not to like it, you won't. One on one iso's? My advice to these folks has always been: Go to a game, watch one player, not the ball. Let me know how lazy and disinterested he was.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cousy47 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    Fans don't go because Indianapolis is a fair weather pro sports town. Fans want a championship. Because of the corruption of the NBA, we have a slim to none chance of winning a title. The average bandwagon fan isn't going to commit emotionally and financially to a team with no chance to win it all. NBA only cares about the following teams: Lakers, Clippers, Thunder, Heat, Celtics, Knicks, Nets, and Bulls. One of these teams will win the championship this year. Without the support of the NBA, how can we expect our own city to support the Pacers?
    I guess that's why the Mavs won the Championship 2 seasons ago?

I get your overall point but seriously, haven't you noticed something different about the Lakers, Celtics, Knicks, Nets, Clippers, Thunder, and Bulls? They all have at least one superstar (or multiple) and except for OKC play in the biggest markets in the US. The teams with the most fans and the best superstars get the most attention.

It's another reason why Reggie Miller was such an incredible player. He wasn't the atypical Superstar during the regular season but come playoffs time, he would turn into the Love-him or Hate-him type of player that got the Pacers noticed.

It's not some bias that comes from the league office. More than anything, it's a media driven thing based on Market (demographics and population). That's how it is now but none of that means that the Pacers aren't worth watching or supporting. There's no guarantee that any of the teams you mentioned will win the championship. An injury could change everything - look at the Bulls last year.

I agree wholeheartedly with your first statement! Indianapolis has always been a fair weather what-have-you-done-for-me-lately type of sports town. Casual fans never cared about Butler before the Final Four appearances. Even interest in IU basketball was down prior to the past couple of seasons. They'll get behind a winner but that winning has to happen more than one year during the playoffs.
    Last edited by naptownmenace; 02-11-2013 at 12:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

No the games are not brodcast locally. This is one thing that ticks me off and is a major reason causal fans have no clue. FSI is not locally. Locally is any channel you can get on an antenna without paying. If our games were on WTHR like the colts I think a lot more people would see us play. I know we cant have every game during prime time on a local network. But we should at least be able to get a few games here and there on Channel 4 or something.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kielbeze For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've lived in three major metropolitan areas. Chicago, Cleveland, and Columbus,OH. When I lived in Indiana I lived in Bloomington, and spent a whole lot of time in Indy.

Indy is the most white-bread, clean, safe of all of them(I felt safer in Cleveland than the others too, shocker I know) The homeless traffic is mild, too. These excuses to me are the epitome of sheltered middle class bull hockey. "It's a city so it must be dangerous!"

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TinManJoshua For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't really agree that Indy is fairweather any moreso than any other city. I get the feeling that they would have the crowds had the franchise not gone through what they did in 2004-2006 with the incidents on and off court. Attendance before that was very high for years. I think a lot of people tuned out the Pacers then and have since replaced them with something else in their lives. I know a lot of people who just don't know a damn thing about he Pacers anymore, and when I bring them up, the first thing they say is, "I don't support those thugs." Yes --- people are still saying that... a LOT of people. The image issue has stuck unfortunately... the Pacers biggest challenge is projecting this new image to the entire state and showing that image is long behind them.

I do think the numbers will go up and attendance will return... it's just not going to be fast like in other markets that haven't suffered what Indy suffered. Mark my words... what the Pacer fans of 2004-2006 endured is unlike what any other fanbase has had to endure, so we don't fit the typical criteria. Saying the Rangers or whoever had instant increases in numbers doesn't mean anything --- they didn't have the stigma that Indy had to fight against. In a 2-3 year period, we went from being Championship hopefuls..... to watching Artest charge the stands, JO throw a home run cut at a fan, Tinsley waving poles around, Jackson and Tinsley involved in off court incidents, court hearings... Reggie's final days and the pain of him not winning a championship and then retiring..... I mean, think about that. That's a ton of **** to throw at a fan base. Once Reggie left, there was no desire for anyone to even pay attention to them anymore, they had been hurt and embarrassed and finally sad to see their hero go with no replacement in sight.

It's going to be a slow healing process... and it already has been a healing process. The numbers are slowly going up. The locker room has slowly been changed over. The post-season success is slowly coming back. They are doing the right things, but they're going to have to be patient, give this another year or two.

Indy has very loyal fans... they are loyal to the Colts (now that they are established, they weren't loyal at all for the first 15 years)... they are loyal to IU... the rest of the colleges. It's only the Pacers that are going through this. I don't really consider Pacer fans fairweather... I consider them snake-bitten. And Indiana people tend to be hard in their ways, even against logic.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 02-11-2013 at 01:05 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Quote Originally Posted by TinManJoshua View Post
    I've lived in three major metropolitan areas. Chicago, Cleveland, and Columbus,OH. When I lived in Indiana I lived in Bloomington, and spent a whole lot of time in Indy.

Indy is the most white-bread, clean, safe of all of them(I felt safer in Cleveland than the others too, shocker I know) The homeless traffic is mild, too. These excuses to me are the epitome of sheltered middle class bull hockey. "It's a city so it must be dangerous!"
    Unless somebody changed their name to protect the innocent the person listed their name as Candy Partin. Why wouldn't a female(s) feel nervous? Also can't forget that when the games start in November it gets dark earlier. It is a little different walking down the street in the dark than when it is light out.
    Last edited by RWB; 02-11-2013 at 01:18 PM.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Mood

Even though I was once hustled as a youngster, it was my own fault. I have never felt unsafe in downtown, nor do I feel safe taking my own family downtown now. I am, however, a little short on the funds to do so very often. I still love this team, watch every game, and follow them closely. I'm just not in attendance very often, and believe me I wish I was.
    "No one else can see the preservation of the martyr in me" -- Corey Taylor

12. The Following User Says Thank You to HC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    The fundamental difference between the NFL and the NBA: an NFL uniform covers more skin.
    A starter on your basketball team gets in legal trouble and it's 1/5th of your starting lineup. A starter on your football team gets in legal trouble and it's 1/11th of your starting lineup... and that's assuming we break it down to offense and defense... otherwise it's 1/22nd of your starting lineup overall. Let alone if you do the percentage of the team overall.

Now factor in a lineup of Tins, Sjax, Artest, Harrison, Williams... et al and do the percentages...

And would everyone quit using the brawl as the point fans turned up their noses. The fans hung tough with the team after the brawl. It was the team's followup season to the brawl when the wheels came off. No Reggie. Artest and JO still unable to co-exist... Tinsley's sinuboozepoutinitis... Sjax... JO's divastic 'domination'... Artest's trade demand... incidents... Reggie's jersey retirement game where the team were burned by the Suns... whining... pouting... arguing...

And then the hits kept coming... Guns, weed, incidents... losses... molasses slow front office.... hanging with murderers... strip clubs... mysterious illnesses... "conduct detrimental to the team"... distractions.... Bender bust... drug suspensions... a trade that cash strapped the team and didn't really fix the losing or allow for a light at the end of the tunnel... Jim O'Brien who talked like the 2nd coming of Bob Knight and coached like George from Hoosiers ("Can't score if you don't shoot")... stretch 4 matador...

THAT is how things declined. The brawl itself was a blip... ultimately it was a symptom of the cancer that was growing inside the team...
    Last edited by Bball; 02-11-2013 at 01:28 PM.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    The brawl itself was a blip
    While I mostly agree with the direction you are going with it, this is a gross and unfair understatement. The brawl continued to be one of those things that the national media used to reinforce the notion that the Pacers were a team of *insert non-racist word meaning people who choose violence as their primary response*.

It is MUCH more than a blip in the history of the team. Just because it wasn't the sole cause of the problems with how people perceived the team doesn't somehow minimize its impact as an event.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Makes me feel like puking. Seriously.

It makes me very ill reading some of this stupidity. They need to realize it's a finger to themselves. The Pacers grab media attention and the empty seats is an embarrassment to all of the city.

Look at the Portland Trail Blazers. Their fans were directly insulted. Bonzi Wells pretty much said at time, the team could care less about the fans. They're attendance fell after that. Now they draw much better.

Not that the Colts have any bad guys, but the NFL is infested with thuggery and arrests. In the NBA, you very rarely hear about a player being arrested nowadays.

I don't think that's the reason. I think some people are really trolling because the playoffs were standing room only crowds.

Back to the Colts, 60,000+ will attend those games. Over 100% capacity to spend over $100 for one game, then parking, food, etc.

Regardless, too many people in life out way the good with the bad.

I know some people prefer college over professional sports, but it's still basketball and the Pacers are honestly one of the last teams you would think would be so low in attendance. The Pacers are what you want out of professional athletes.

Indiana is a great sports state. Indy is a great sports city. Attendance will go up, but again, WHEN?
    Last edited by Trophy; 02-11-2013 at 02:46 PM.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    I think the one thing we're forgetting when discussing feeling safe (what's the problem?) we're looking at it through a man's perspective. I know Mrs. RWB feels safe when we're walking to a game, but I can guarantee if for some reason we have tickets and I have to miss it she's not going to ask a female friend to go instead. Back in the MSA days she would and did.

Part of the reason is the pan-handling and folks being approached for money. Last year I had to tell a guy to back off who was trying to take advantage of someone who didn't know better.

Here's the story.... I brought a group of Brazilian students to a game and before hand we stop off and eat in the South PTO lot Arbys. Now understand they're all adults in their early 20s so it is not like I have to hold their hand. However this guy approaches one of the tables and I watch one of our students get up and follow this guy toward the front of the store. Of course I immediately get up and shake my head no and tell Eduardo its ok just go back to your table and I'll take care of this. So this scam artist proceeds to tell me it aint right these Arabs come over here for free and what does it hurt for them to give me some money when they don't need it. Needless to say my conversation didn't end there but I won't get into that. Bottom line.... there is a legit concern with this going on outside of BLF.

Side note: This shouldn't make any difference to the story but in case someone was wondering this @sshole was white.
    Re: bolded part. Are you sure? By which I mean...I know there is a widespread assumption that posters are male unless otherwise noted. But there are active women (more than a couple) on this board. They don't usually stand up and say so, but they are around!

Obviously people feel the way they feel. We all have different backgrounds and experiences and that is going to have an impact. I've almost always felt safe in downtown Indy, day or night. Then again, I've lived in SoCal for over a decade now and having been in LA a lot...I think being in any really big city re-sets expectations.

Crazy story about the pandhandler. Arabs? Really? There is a lot of diversity in terms of the way Brazilians look but that still seems weird to me.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    What exactly about homeless people on corners makes it unsafe?
    A woman got beat up just last week (maybe 2 weeks ago?) by a homeless guy outside one of the hotels...

Quote Originally Posted by mrpeters View Post
    A woman got beat up just last week (maybe 2 weeks ago?) by a homeless guy outside one of the hotels...
    One random isolated incident. Can you find me the article?

Quote Originally Posted by kielbeze View Post
    No the games are not brodcast locally. This is one thing that ticks me off and is a major reason causal fans have no clue. FSI is not locally. Locally is any channel you can get on an antenna without paying. If our games were on WTHR like the colts I think a lot more people would see us play. I know we cant have every game during prime time on a local network. But we should at least be able to get a few games here and there on Channel 4 or something.

Yes but even IU and Purdue are no longer on that channel. Times have changed and they aren't going back to the way they were

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    Re: bolded part. Are you sure? By which I mean...I know there is a widespread assumption that posters are male unless otherwise noted. But there are active women (more than a couple) on this board. They don't usually stand up and say so, but they are around!

Obviously people feel the way they feel. We all have different backgrounds and experiences and that is going to have an impact. I've almost always felt safe in downtown Indy, day or night. Then again, I've lived in SoCal for over a decade now and having been in LA a lot...I think being in any really big city re-sets expectations.

Crazy story about the pandhandler. Arabs? Really? There is a lot of diversity in terms of the way Brazilians look but that still seems weird to me.
    Gummy I am not implying at all there are only male posters on PD. I was referring to the link/post on the first page (WTHR 13) that started this discussion. Someone alluded to the idea basically Indy is very safe so why would anyone make that type of remark. My response was that a lady in that facebook discussion brought up that point she didn't feel safe. I just thought members would have to see the situation through her eyes to understand why she said that.

As to panhandlers, Arabs, really? You don't have to believe the story and all I can say is every word is true. I've been in the business of protecting people a long time and have no need to make things up.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Gummy I am not implying at all there are only male posters on PD. I was referring to the link/post on the first page (WTHR 13) that started this discussion. Someone alluded to the idea basically Indy is very safe so why would anyone make that type of remark. My response was that a lady in that facebook discussion brought up that point she didn't feel safe. I just thought members would have to see the situation through her eyes to understand why she said that.

As to panhandlers, Arabs, really? You don't have to believe the story and all I can say is every word is true. I've been in the business of protecting people a long time and have no need to make things up.
    Huh?

You seem to have misunderstood my last comment, which I suppose I could have made clearer! I was not at all suggesting that you made up the story. I was amazed that the guy could be so ignorant as to identify Brazilians as Arabs. Most Brazilians look nothing like Arabs, so it seemed crazy to me. But I guess a lot of people have no idea what Brazilians look like in general.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

I'm not reading through this thread and forgive me if this has already been mentioned but I'm much more concerned about the collective intelligence of my fair city if we're basing it on Facebook comments than anything said within them.
    Last edited by BRushWithDeath; 02-11-2013 at 04:50 PM.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Member DangerGranger3pointranger's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Even even the team was good in the 90's our attendance was middling. (I forget where I read that, but I do believe it was a post by unclebuck, though I could be wrong)

Indiana is definitely a fair weather state. We were so bad for so long, I just feel it's going to take some time to get the city and the state to come out to a game against the Pelicans on a Tuesday.

I was at the raptors game on Friday, which was reasonably packed. When we lost, I overheard quite a few ppl saying they weren't going to come see this team play again. All because they lost to the raptors lol. I wanted to tell at them and say "WE'VE ONLY LOST HERE 4 TIMES ALL YEAR!!" But it definitely opened my eyes. We HAVE to continue to be dominant at home if we want to improve our attendance more.

Our attendance is up a bit from last year, so hey it's a start.
    I thanked your post because you made a valid point, but I admire the fact you wrote Pelicans
    Everybody ride the Scola train! WHOO WHOO

Member DangerGranger3pointranger's Avatar
    Mood

This was one post on their facebook page

Doron Pinchas "I can't believe the STUPIDITY of most of these Indiana locals.... About 3 years ago, I spent 3 days in Indianapolis and went to a Pacers game. I walked all over downtown Indianapolis before the game and did not see ANY bums or crime or anything "ghetto"- downtown Indy is CLEAN and family friendly... and I spent $14 for my ticket which is a bargain. People do NOT have to eat the stadium food... after all the point of going to a game is to watch PACERS BASKETBALL not eat the food... if I lived in Indianapolis I would be at the fieldhouse EVERY game, but if the locals won't support them, I'd be glad to have the Pacers move here to NYC"

Amen!!
    Everybody ride the Scola train! WHOO WHOO

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    I'm not reading through this thread and forgive me if this has already been mentioned but I'm much more concerned about the collective intelligence of my fair city if we're basing it on Facebook comments than anything said within them.
    Get tired of people discrediting comments. They are a good way to get the pulse of a community.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

I can't imagine the few idiots who bring up thuggery into the discussion of why they don't go, ever mattered.

I doubt they ever went to any games in the past, so they don't need to be catered to. Plenty of people have come out, like the playoffs. They just don't come out nearly enough.

Quote Originally Posted by DangerGranger3pointranger View Post
    This was one post on their facebook page

Doron Pinchas "I can't believe the STUPIDITY of most of these Indiana locals.... About 3 years ago, I spent 3 days in Indianapolis and went to a Pacers game. I walked all over downtown Indianapolis before the game and did not see ANY bums or crime or anything "ghetto"- downtown Indy is CLEAN and family friendly... and I spent $14 for my ticket which is a bargain. People do NOT have to eat the stadium food... after all the point of going to a game is to watch PACERS BASKETBALL not eat the food... if I lived in Indianapolis I would be at the fieldhouse EVERY game, but if the locals won't support them, I'd be glad to have the Pacers move here to NYC"

Amen!!
    They aren't going anywhere and I'm pretty sure NYC has more than enough teams. A good statement by that person, nonetheless.

I feel the same way. If I lived in Indy, I'd be at BLF for every home game I can attend.

Quote Originally Posted by DangerGranger3pointranger View Post
    This was one post on their facebook page Doron Pinchas "I can't believe the STUPIDITY of most of these Indiana locals.... About 3 years ago, I spent 3 days in Indianapolis and went to a Pacers game. I walked all over downtown Indianapolis before the game and did not see ANY bums or crime or anything "ghetto"- downtown Indy is CLEAN and family friendly... and I spent $14 for my ticket which is a bargain. People do NOT have to eat the stadium food... after all the point of going to a game is to watch PACERS BASKETBALL not eat the food... if I lived in Indianapolis I would be at the fieldhouse EVERY game, but if the locals won't support them, I'd be glad to have the Pacers move here to NYC" Amen!!
    QFT. Reading comments just makes me sad, I would love if the Bulls were tickets as cheap as Pacers. I live ten minutes from United center and I would go to every game (with the exception of -25 degree weather, jeez too cold) if tickets were that cheap. And Chicago is way worse when it comes homeless and random crime. On campus last year, someone got kidnapped in the middle of the afternoon. The hell?

Let's put it this way, my first trip to BLF (then Conseco) was a decade or so ago, and I lived in Boston. My dad (RIP) was turning 80 and I thought it would be great to take him to a game. Being from Boston, I was used to paying $40 to park downtown and paying marked-up ticket prices for really good seats on the secondary market (such as stubhub). Plus my dad walked with a cane- how would I ever park close enough?

So I bought tickets and they were dirt cheap, by NBA standards, to sit in the lower level at about the free throw line. Plus I called the Pacers public relations and they told me where the drop off spot was, a disabled entrance and exactly how to get there. I arrived and there was somebody there to even look after my Dad while I parked the car a half block away for... 5 bucks! I remember thinking.... 5 bucks an hour?... 5 bucks a half hour?.... wait.... Just 5 bucks TOTAL???

I parked, found my Dad, still in the company of a a helpful guest relations person, who then told me the location of the elevators, wished my Dad a Happy 80th birthday, and made sure we were happy to be there.

I don't think any arena in any city hosting any sport would have done half what Pacer Sports and Entertainment did then. I had just made a phone call asking for a little advice.

Maybe my experience was out of the ordinary, but it left an impression. I live 1,100 miles away, Mom and Dad have passed, and I don't visit Indiana much. But if I do and it's basketball season, I will make every effort to go. And if I lived there? Wow.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

35. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post: