Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on a Percy Harvin trade

Default Thoughts on a Percy Harvin trade

So apparently the Vikings are going to try to trade Percy Harvin and even the QB made a comment about him in the past tense. So the question is what would it take to get him and would the Colts want a guy who burned some bridges on his other team?

At this point in his career I think it's worth the risk if it only cost a 1st round pick and even that is a step price that I could see other teams with higher draft picks making a better offer than what the Colts can with the 24 pick.

http://tracking.si.com/2013/02/11/pe...2_a6&eref=sihp

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Thoughts on a Percy Harvin trade

No way in hell is Percy Harvin worth a first round pick.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No way in hell is Percy Harvin worth a first round pick.
    I think any young wr who is a top 10 talent at his position is worth a late first round pick.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Draft picks are more important in the NFL. Especially a high pick. I'd say a second round pick is as much as I would be comfortable giving. And we don't have one. So I doubt it gets done. I think he's a great player though.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Miller_time04 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    I think any young wr who is a top 10 talent at his position is worth a late first round pick.
    Ok then....

No way in hell is Percy Harvin anywhere near a top 10 talent at wide receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    Ok then....

No way in hell is Percy Harvin anywhere near a top 10 talent at wide receiver.
    I think he is defiantly in the 8 to 10 range among NFL WR's. You may not think so but his all around game is what sets him apart and is what makes him a lethal threat in returning the ball and in yac yardage. IF you put him on a team with a good QB and his stats would defiantly be much better than what they were with the Vikings.

Quote Originally Posted by Miller_time04 View Post
    Draft picks are more important in the NFL. Especially a high pick. I'd say a second round pick is as much as I would be comfortable giving. And we don't have one. So I doubt it gets done. I think he's a great player though.
    Its the same logic in the Vontae Davis trade. You won't be able to draft a guy with your late frist round pick to have production like a Percy Harvin. He is a legit number one threat who is young and is still on his rookie contract for one more year. I agree a first round pick is expensive but I would be shocked if he doens't go for atleast that much if the Vikings are serious about trading him.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 02-11-2013 at 11:23 AM.

Yikes, no thanks.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Percy Harvin is better than you guys are givin' him credit for... before his injury this year, he was arguably more a part of the Vikings gameplan than AP was, and that's saying quite a bit. AP gained steam as the season went on. But Harvin is a multi-talented athlete. He may not be #1 material, but he's close. He's young (24) and I think hasn't come close to achieving his ceiling yet. Last year he was on pace for 1400 yards receiving, while also returning and doing some run plays, also, before he went down. I wouldn't give up a lottery pick, but if I was down around 30, I'd have to look real hard at acquiring him, assuming he's healthy.

The only factor that makes me leery is the off-the-field area... it's gray when it comes to him, some people say he's fine and others say he's disruptive. Who really knows.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 02-11-2013 at 11:49 AM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Probably one of the best young talents in the NFL. However the Vontae Davis trade gave away our 2nd rounder which is what we would need to get him. However, he's a budding superstar. Very few receivers have a skillset like him and a wide receiver tandem of Wayne, Harvin, and Hilton would be top 5 in the NFL, not including Fleener and Allen.

Well it looks like Robert Mathis wants Percy..

From his twitter,,

Vikes talking trade for Percy!? #WARNING!! Playmaker on the loose & does #NOT need 2 escape the #MidWest, espicially the "HOOSIER STATE"

YOU ALL WILL HAVE 2 EXCUSE ME BUT FOR THE NEXT WEEK,I WILL ENTER RECRUIT MODE BECAUSE THE LOMBARDI NEEDS A "NAPTOWN" HOMECOMING #WeGotNEXT

I would just as soon keep the pick, thanks. We aren't trying to win tomorrow. We already traded away our second round pick.

Mood

I would be ok with our 1st rounder for him. He is a heck of a play maker. Team him with Reggie and TY and he will not be double covered all of the time. I agree we would be a top 5 talent with that WR tandem and our two young TE's. If a first rounder is too much, offer a future 2nd and 3rd rounder. With the match-ups and having Luck throwing to him I think those stats will go up.

I'd be fine with it. We need some more receiving talent. Reggie is 34 years old and he could lose a step at anytime. I think he will be great again next year, but you never know what can happen and have to prepare for the fact that a player in his mid 30's can slow down at anytime. I want us to get a young stud receiver that Luck can grow up with. I like Hilton and Avery, but we should try to bring some more talent to the position.

positives:
    He began the year up with Wayne and Welker for catches and yards before injuries and (perhaps?) attitude slowed him down
    He has apparently solved the migraine headache issue through medication

negatives:
    1. He has had a handful of outbursts with his current team, enough to make them willing to trade him off while still on his rookie deal, even though they are thin at his position
    2. He is rumored to be looking for in excess of 10mill on a long term contract, with only one cheap year left
    3. He has not yet ever played 16 games in any season
    4. He has yet to go over 1000 yards in a season
    5. He seems to be a slot WR rather than an outside guy

To me the bottom line is that he's far too much of a gamble on attitude, on health, and on re-signability to offer up a late first rounder
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    positives:
    He began the year up with Wayne and Welker for catches and yards before injuries and (perhaps?) attitude slowed him down
    He has apparently solved the migraine headache issue through medication

negatives:
    1. He has had a handful of outbursts with his current team, enough to make them willing to trade him off while still on his rookie deal, even though they are thin at his position
    2. He is rumored to be looking for in excess of 10mill on a long term contract, with only one cheap year left
    3. He has not yet ever played 16 games in any season
    4. He has yet to go over 1000 yards in a season
    5. He seems to be a slot WR rather than an outside guy

To me the bottom line is that he's far too much of a gamble on attitude, on health, and on re-signability to offer up a late first rounder
    2011?

The stats argument to me is always a pretty weak one when you consider his QB's he has had to work with and the style of offense they have ran in Minny for a long time. The personal issues is the make or break point for a trade. Either you think he is in need of a good locker room or you think he is just another idiot wr who is a selfish player.

Yeah, I see he did play in 16 games, 14 as a starter in 2011. I lifted that incorrect factoid from another poster on a Patriots forum, where Harvin is looked at as a possible Welker replacement. What is concerning is his contract demands. He wants more than what we think Welker has asked for, and while Wes is much older, he at least has produced constantly.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Yeah, I see he did play in 16 games, 14 as a starter in 2011. I lifted that incorrect factoid from another poster on a Patriots forum, where Harvin is looked at as a possible Welker replacement. What is concerning is his contract demands. He wants more than what we think Welker has asked for, and while Wes is much older, he at least has produced constantly.
    The market will decide what he gets but I could see him getting paid if he has a good 2013 season. I think his value is somewhere in the neighborhood of Garcons contract 5 years 43 million.

I doubt the Patriots make a trade for him since they will have to spend their money on other postions.

He deserves one of the biggest contracts for a WR. He was tearing apart the league before he got hurt in 2012.

We need to find someone to protect Mr. Luck before we worry about more receivers. The ones we have are already good, not to mention when you add Allen and Fleener.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:

Mood

I would be interested in possibly our first for their 2nd and 4th plus Harvin I would be interested in that, there is no way Harvin is getting a first, but I think this is a fair trade, give us more picks, a WR that fits what we are planning on doing in the offense, and in the late 2nd we should still be able to get a quality guy on the line or secondary if we would like.
    Why so SERIOUS

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    We need to find someone to protect Mr. Luck before we worry about more receivers. The ones we have are already good, not to mention when you add Allen and Fleener.
    You mean the ones we have currently are okay, and a good WR that can beat man coverage quick an can go up and fight for the ball also protects QB's, and I think we will address line in free agency anyways.
    Why so SERIOUS

Not interested. For the most part good WR's are pretty easy to find and are kinda like the small forward of the NBA. I'm not willing to give up a draft pick for one.

Remember those Detroit teams that tried to stockpile "elite" WR talent at the expense of everything else? No thanks.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    I would be interested in possibly our first for their 2nd and 4th plus Harvin I would be interested in that, there is no way Harvin is getting a first, but I think this is a fair trade, give us more picks, a WR that fits what we are planning on doing in the offense, and in the late 2nd we should still be able to get a quality guy on the line or secondary if we would like.
    That would be awesome for us but highly unlikely for any team imo. Why would they trade 2 picks of theirs( even if they'd have 2 picks in the 1st) in the first 4 rounds, when they want to get rid a player and not get one?

Harvin is talented, versatile and just plain a good football player. He also has some baggage and every time it seems he turns a corner and leaves that stuff behind something new pops up.

Some issues I see. He and Hilton would be fundamentally redundant (for the record not saying equal in talent) so unless the Vikes would take Hilton and lesser picks (which they won't) then no compelling reason to pull the trigger. He also will get paid after next season and tie-up a lot of cap space. No way I want the Colts to give up this years #1 and in the process limit the future cap flexibility to build a foundation around Luck. Luck is your playmaker and if you give him a solid, balanced football team he will win this franchise a lot of games and probably a championship.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Bang! View Post
    Harvin is talented, versatile and just plain a good football player. He also has some baggage and every time it seems he turns a corner and leaves that stuff behind something new pops up.

Some issues I see. He and Hilton would be fundamentally redundant (for the record not saying equal in talent) so unless the Vikes would take Hilton and lesser picks (which they won't) then no compelling reason to pull the trigger. He also will get paid after next season and tie-up a lot of cap space. No way I want the Colts to give up this years #1 and in the process limit the future cap flexibility to build a foundation around Luck. Luck is your playmaker and if you give him a solid, balanced football team he will win this franchise a lot of games and probably a championship.
    The cap situation is bound to happen, if we don't get Harvin, there is a good chance we go after someone like Bowe which will tie up about the same amount of money.
    Why so SERIOUS