76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Trey Burke

22 28.95%
  • Victor Oladipo

54 71.05%
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Who to draft? Burke or Oladipo?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Who to draft? Burke or Oladipo?

Who's Paul George?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm an equal opportunity hater--I didn't like either one of them. I was a huge proponent of trading the pick.
    I could easily be misremembering, but I think I was in the same boat. I think I was pretty much of the opinion that after John Wall, Evan Turner, Derrick Favors, and DeMarcus Cousins there wasn't anybody worth a top 10 pick.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Thank god for the Utah Jazz and their stupidity.

But I agree, Hayward is already way better than I ever thought he could be.
    I can't even imagine being a fan of a team stupid enough to pick a really, really good young player 1 spot ahead of a better player. Thank you Jeebus!!

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

I wanted Hayward and still do, I'd love a trade of some sorts to get him. George Hill, Gordon Hayward and Paul George would be awesome. I'd buy season tickets for that line up and I would have to give all the tickets away.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

I am a Pacers fan and an IU fan, but there's no way I wanted the Pacers to have anything to do with some past IU players drafted, like Haston, Jeffries, Bracy Wright, DJ White, etc.

My homerism really only goes so far. As an old-timer, I certainly wasn't calling for picking Alford over Reggie.

Some people actually can be objective about the NBA prospects of college players they also follow.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Here's Paul George's Draft Express mock history, for those curious:

So, he first jumped on their radar about a month-and-a-half into his sophomore -- and final -- season at Fresno State, and he stayed there up until the final three weeks leading up to the draft, where his combine performance catapulted him into the later portion of the lottery.
    Last edited by Lance George; 02-12-2013 at 07:09 PM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    I may have to go back and check Paul George's draft stock in the year leading up to the draft. I'm almost certain he still being listed as a second-round pick midway through his final season at Fresno State.
    He was just how Lillard was viewed as a early 2nd rd guy last year. Most draft sites are afraid to jump guys so much. It isn't until DraftExpress hears from NBA people telling them where they would draft a guy(which is normally the end of the year after march).

This year for example will have some really heavy risers IMO still a lot of ball left to play. But February into March is when stuff starts to really shake up.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Mood

The trend with a lot of these kids that seemingly come out of nowhere is that most were late bloomers. These kids might not have gotten minuts until late in high school and aren't on scouts' radar in 8th grade. George and Lillard are both guys that came along a bit late and ended up going somewhere other than Kansas, UNC, Duke, Cuse, etc. I think these are typically kids that adapt well as they get older. Its the kids with middle school beards that are broken down two years into the league.
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. … You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

11. The Following User Says Thank You to pacergod2 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Gill View Post
    What, no Terone Johnson love?
    only a junior, lol
    Why so SERIOUS

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    Its the kids with middle school beards that are broken down two years into the league.
    I don't know why, but I lost it when I read this. Well played

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Wasn't the Hayward>George stuff pretty much just graphic-er?

I feel like I remember the majority not being all that interested in Hayward, I think he's become a better NBA player than most of us thought he would.
    George or Hayward?
    Smothered Chicken!

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Clearly you are not familiar with Coopdog's work.

I didn't bother reading the rest, because, no offense, we have seen it a thousand times over the years on here and I'm tired of reading it.
    you just don't understand that not every player that plays at IU is an NBA quality player. Zeller will not be a good NBA player and neither will Oladipo
    Smothered Chicken!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    you just don't understand that not every player that plays at IU is an NBA quality player. Zeller will not be a good NBA player and neither will Oladipo
    Well, I might be going out on a limb here, but that sounds like a whole lot of your own opinion. Just blew me away with your analysis though.

I agree to some extent however. Zeller will be a solid rotation player in the nba. Probably never sniff an allstar bid. His ideal spot would be to move to a more power forward slot. He's not big enough to bang down low with NBA centers, and I don't think he can but much more mass on. He's got a pretty outside shot which will be more suited towards the association. I'm thinking a poormans Pau Gasol. He can pass, shoot and has a good variety of post moves. But he runs much better than Pau.

Oladipo... I don't know what to make of him. I think he's big enough to be a two guard in the NBA, especially with a lot of coaches playing small ball. His defense should translate alright once he gets accustomed to the speed. He's got a motor and the mentality, which are the toughest things to find in a prospect I think. He can finish at the rim which is always nice, so he'll be a good fast break option. His shot is still questionable. He just doesn't have the body of work to have me completely convinced. However, he seems to have good depiction making, if nothing else. You don't accidentally shoot 65% from the field as a guard. That is just remarkable. The biggest worry is his handles. That will need serious work if he expects to be more than a cutter, finisher and spot up shooter at the next level.
    "There is a time to play and a time to win. It is what you do during winning time that differentiates the average players from stars."

~Ahmad Rashad~

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Hinds For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Cool Re: Who to draft? Burke or Oladipo?

I agree with you about Zeller, he is going to be someone's wasted draft pick. I am open minded about Oladipo but you are right, he is much more likely to be a bust than a star but so is just about every players drafted into the NBA..... ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    I can't even imagine being a fan of a team stupid enough to pick a really, really good young player 1 spot ahead of a better player. Thank you Jeebus!!
    Yea because 13 PPG on 42% shooting for a 6th man on a middling team SCREAMS 10th pick in the draft.

Yes he's a young decent prospect, but imo (and plenty others) hes already better than i ever thought he could be; so for you to be a smart *** bc I'm glad they stupidly (my opinion) chose him in the draft is unnecessary
    Last edited by Ace E.Anderson; 02-13-2013 at 12:16 AM.

You act like that is in some way unique to this board, IU, and Indiana in general. Go to a Bulls message board and I'm sure they do the same thing with Illni players. Go to a Bobcats board and I'm sure its the same way with Duke/UNC.

It seems, you know, entirely natural. You're fighting a losing battle.
    No, I understand that. I know it is that way.

My only point was, just because we get tired of hearing it, doesn't mean that we hate IU. Thats silly.

In my posting history on this board, I think I have championed two, maybe three IU players for their NBA impact: Eric Gordon and Oladipo, with me going back and forth on Zeller. I call it like I see it.

My current stance on Zeller is as follows: I wouldn't spend a top 10 pick on him. He seems like he will be a nice bench player, but I don't think he will be a star in the NBA. Maybe if he puts some more weight on his frame and really develops a mean streak, but I sort of doubt that will be the case. To me, is he low risk, low reward. You know what you are going to get from him--most likely a rotational big who could start on a decent team if he is the third or fourth scoring option at best. He will play winning basketball, he will hustle, and he will be a great addition to the locker room. He probably won't be representing your team in any all-star games though.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Burke got pwned by Appling. Yea, Burke was so quick and so athletic he drove the lane and got nowhere but eating the rock as Appling stuck it to him. Appling out played, out witted Burke.
    Last edited by Pacer Fan; 02-13-2013 at 01:05 AM.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Mood

the worst part about Burke tonight was Michigan trying to hide his defense in that ugly zone.He really needs to stop settling for bad shots he is to good to shoot half the shots he has settled for latley.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    I agree with you about Zeller, he is going to be someone's wasted draft pick. I am open minded about Oladipo but you are right, he is much more likely to be a bust than a star but so is just about every players drafted into the NBA..... ...
    These IU fans think they're going to be the first two picks just because they go to IU
    Smothered Chicken!

These IU fans think they're going to be the first two picks just because they go to IU
    I see a lot of "I wouldn't waste an early first round pick on Zeller" from the IU fans. Heck, if Tyler Zeller gets selected in the first round Cody will be too. Cody's better than Tyler Z.

If you think that the IU fans on this board are championing Victor as pick 1 then I don't think you can read very well.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to TinManJoshua For This Useful Post:

No one has said that. Shouldn't you be predicting a double digit Purdue victory over IU right now anyway like you were before the meeting in West Laffy?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Yea because 13 PPG on 42% shooting for a 6th man on a middling team SCREAMS 10th pick in the draft.

Yes he's a young decent prospect, but imo (and plenty others) hes already better than i ever thought he could be; so for you to be a smart *** bc I'm glad they stupidly (my opinion) chose him in the draft is unnecessary
    Hayward was the 9th pick. George was the 10th pick. Your opinion is wrong. It was not stupid of them to pick him.

Look at the recent history of the players picked either 9th or 10th in the NBA Draft. Haywards contribution's (which go far beyond his PPG average) are much closer to being at the top of the list, than they are to the bottom of the list. By any objective measure, he was a good 9th overall draft pick. Paul George may have been an absolute steal with the 10th overall pick, but that doesn't mean that every pick in front of him was stupid. That kind of logic that you are using, is what is really stupid.

Since 2000, the 9th overall picks have been: Joel Pryzbilla, Rodney White, Amare Stoudamire, Mike Sweetney, Andre Iguodala, Ike Diogu, Patrick O'Bryant, Joakim Noah, DJ Augustin, Demar Derozan, Gordon Hayward, Kemba Walker, and Andre Drummond.

There are a couple of good players on that list. Pryzbilla had a decent career. Stoudamire was a very good player before all the injuries. Iguodala and Noah are very good players. Derozan is ok. Walker has shown some things this year, and Drummond has a chance to be fantastic. So counting Hayward, 7 of the last 13 players picked with the 9th pick have shown to be worthy of, or have at least shown enough promise to warrant their draft pick. That's actually unusual when you compare it similar draft slots. Look at the recent 8th overall picks for instance, or the 10th overall picks. Getting a Gordon Hayward with the 9th pick, is something that should be celebrated as a draft success. Picking in the late lottery is mostly a 50/50 proposition. If you want to argue that Hayward belongs with the White, Sweetney, Diogu, O'Bryant, Augustin crowd, you can, but you'd be wrong again.

http://www.mynbadraft.com/nba-draft-...overall/80509/
    http://www.mynbadraft.com/nba-draft-...overall/90509/
    http://www.mynbadraft.com/nba-draft-...verall/100509/

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    No one has said that. Shouldn't you be predicting a double digit Purdue victory over IU right now anyway like you were before the meeting in West Laffy?
    Shouldn't you be devising a defense that can defend a layup like the Illinois game?
    Smothered Chicken!

Hayward was the 9th pick. George was the 10th pick. Your opinion is wrong. It was not stupid of them to pick him.

Look at the recent history of the players picked either 9th or 10th in the NBA Draft. Haywards contribution's (which go far beyond his PPG average) are much closer to being at the top of the list, than they are to the bottom of the list. By any objective measure, he was a good 9th overall draft pick. Paul George may have been an absolute steal with the 10th overall pick, but that doesn't mean that every pick in front of him was stupid. That kind of logic that you are using, is what is really stupid.

Since 2000, the 9th overall picks have been: Joel Pryzbilla, Rodney White, Amare Stoudamire, Mike Sweetney, Andre Iguodala, Ike Diogu, Patrick O'Bryant, Joakim Noah, DJ Augustin, Demar Derozan, Gordon Hayward, Kemba Walker, and Andre Drummond.

There are a couple of good players on that list. Pryzbilla had a decent career. Stoudamire was a very good player before all the injuries. Iguodala and Noah are very good players. Derozan is ok. Walker has shown some things this year, and Drummond has a chance to be fantastic. So counting Hayward, 7 of the last 13 players picked with the 9th pick have shown to be worthy of, or have at least shown enough promise to warrant their draft pick. That's actually unusual when you compare it similar draft slots. Look at the recent 8th overall picks for instance, or the 10th overall picks. Getting a Gordon Hayward with the 9th pick, is something that should be celebrated as a draft success. Picking in the late lottery is mostly a 50/50 proposition. If you want to argue that Hayward belongs with the White, Sweetney, Diogu, O'Bryant, Augustin crowd, you can, but you'd be wrong again.

http://www.mynbadraft.com/nba-draft-...overall/80509/
    http://www.mynbadraft.com/nba-draft-...overall/90509/
    http://www.mynbadraft.com/nba-draft-...verall/100509/
    1. Didn't know an opinion could be wrong.
    2. I didn't say he was a scrub in the light of White, Sweeney, Diogu, O'Bryant, or Augustin I just said he wasn't as good as the player picked after him.
    3. All in all, you're reading into the "thank goodness that Utah was dumb enough to choose Hayward" thing. Maybe it'd make you happy had I said "thank goodness Minnesota was dumb enough to choose Wesley Johnson" or "thank goodness the clippers were dumb enough to choose Al-Farooq Aminu"--but I chose to say what I said, and I stand by what I said. If you disagree, then you can disagree.

So what do we have here? You saying my opinion is stupid because it doesn't match your opinion that he was a good 9th overall pick. Yes I have an opinion that teams were stupid for passing on Paul, just like I have an opinion that teams were stupid for passing on Tony Parker, Gilbert Arenas, Michael Redd and others that fell in the draft.

Obviously GM's cant tell the future, and the draft is a crapshoot. But it hardly makes my opinion stupid, it just makes you an *** for trying to make it into a big enough deal to argue about lol. This board is probably 80% opinion and all the analysis and stats in the world don't necessarily make a person's opinion "wrong".

Moving on now..thanks anyways though.