76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Trey Burke

22 28.95%
  • Victor Oladipo

54 71.05%
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Who to draft? Burke or Oladipo?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Who to draft? Burke or Oladipo?

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Yeah, I still haven't jumped off the Kendall Marshall bandwagon. I liked him too and still think he can be a decent pro.
    Its funny man, going back to RealGM I have probably known you longer than anyone else here. I feel like we used to agree on just about everything on RealGM, then we both came here, and Ty Lawson happened haha. Now we see differently on a lot of things(thats not a bad thing). Even when we disagree though, you have always been one of my favorite posters here.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    Well, to start - I openly admitted that I haven't seen Vic play as much as I have the guys listed, and that I could be wrong. But troll away...

Secondly, I said he would be a solid backup. I hardly see that as being obsessed. I love Kendall Marshall, still think he is one of the best passers in the NBA.

He has actually gotten time with the new coach - over the last 4 games(where he has gotten at least 19 minutes) he has shot 7-16, 4-9 from 3 point land, 12 assists, and 4 turnovers. Obviously not great, but for a guy getting his first meaningful minutes in his NBA career, those numbers aren't bad.

I'd say he is a lot closer to being a good backup PG than Will Barton is to averaging 20 ppg...
    Will Barton was a project I said that then wait a few years we will see who is the better value Barton or Marshall. I feel bad for Will dude has to play a lot because his teams bench sucks and he isnt ready. Ya I watched Marhall play the other night he played 20 minutes and had 3 assists 2 TOs I dont believe he scored I wanna say it was vs GS. Was playing just like he did at UNC stays at halfcourt basically in the halfcourt offense just not my type of guy/ Never see guys cherry pick like him kind of weird. He never got below the free throw line the whole game.

Tim Hardaway and CJ are the only two guys on that list I like. I really like Tim but would need to learn to control him I wouldnt take him over Vic though Vic is gonna be a special guy at the next level IMO.

Did you really just use one night as an example?

How about the game before where he scored 11 with 4 assists against Memphis? Again, these have been the first real/non garbage time games in his NBA career and your making it sound like he is a finished project.

Mood

Did you really just use one night as an example?

How about the game before where he scored 11 with 4 assists against Memphis? Again, these have been the first real/non garbage time games in his NBA career and your making it sound like he is a finished project.

It was more about the play style than points or assists the whole game on offense he never got beyond the free throw line. I agree it will take him time and he will get it. I could cite examples from his Dleaguee game that were not good lol. I have to wonder if Gentry was fired for not playing the lottery pick? While he may not be a finished product I dont see an area in his game that can be really improved that will allow him to make a jump to a starting caliber guard. I think he can become a solid backup but he is just to limited to become a good staring PG IMO. Obviously the Suns disagree with me and I hope they are right.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    Well, yes, but there has been literally (and I mean literally) one player in the history of the NBA who has shot the 3 at a clip that Oladipo is shooting it at, for an entire season. So odds are against it.
    If you think I meant he'd continue to shoot over 50% from 3 range when he plays in the association then you need to take a step back and realize I am still living in this reality. He's only taken like 37 threes this year. Clearly this is a large enough sample size to know his shot has improved but I bet it levels off closer to 40%.
    "There is a time to play and a time to win. It is what you do during winning time that differentiates the average players from stars."

~Ahmad Rashad~

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    It was more about the play style than points or assists the whole game on offense he never got beyond the free throw line. I agree it will take him time and he will get it. I could cite examples from his Dleaguee game that were not good lol. I have to wonder if Gentry was fired for not playing the lottery pick? While he may not be a finished product I dont see an area in his game that can be really improved that will allow him to make a jump to a starting caliber guard. I think he can become a solid backup but he is just to limited to become a good staring PG IMO. Obviously the Suns disagree with me and I hope they are right.
    My argument was never that he would be a starting caliber PG.

I thought he could be in the right situation - still do, but that isn't going to be ideal for most teams. A lot of people were saying he didn't have a place in the league, and I said he would be a solid rotational PG.

Its funny man, going back to RealGM I have probably known you longer than anyone else here. I feel like we used to agree on just about everything on RealGM, then we both came here, and Ty Lawson happened haha. Now we see differently on a lot of things(thats not a bad thing). Even when we disagree though, you have always been one of my favorite posters here.
    Which is why I don't mind busting your balls

Usually we bicker about your UNC guys--it's fun to be on the other side of the argument for a change.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Mood

My argument was never that he would be a starting caliber PG.

I thought he could be in the right situation - still do, but that isn't going to be ideal for most teams. A lot of people were saying he didn't have a place in the league, and I said he would be a solid rotational PG.
    yet you wanted us to trade up for him but didn't think he was starting caliber

Not sure I believe that you don't trade up into the lottery for a player you don't think is starting material. He is still gonna hurt his team too much for my liking I still dont get why he came out early he should of stayed 4 years at UNC.

Regarding Oladipo:

I think he will struggle as a rookie, especially offensively. Those concerns raised by others are not unfounded. It will take him time (like all rookies) to adjust to the size and speed of the pro game. He is not a guy who forces offense or takes ill-advised shots--you aren't in the top 5 of eFG% in college by taking bad shots or being a bad shooter. His shot has improved with confidence in college, and I suspect it will be similar when he gets to the NBA. He is a hard worker and studies game film religiously. Hard work and determination can take you a long way. Exhibit A for this is Roy Hibbert.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Which is why I don't mind busting your balls

Usually we bicker about your UNC guys--it's fun to be on the other side of the argument for a change.
    Haha, was I wrong about anyone from that draft class?

Tyler Hansbrough - Said he would be solid backup.
    Ty Lawson - Said he would be a very good starter.
    Danny Green - Said he would be a great role player/glue guy.
    Wayne Ellington - Said he would be a garbage time guy/flush out of the league.

I guess I was a little off on Hansbrough and Ellington. Thought Hansbrough would be a great backup, which isn't true - though I still like him. Ellington has proven to stick around/make more of an impact than I thought he would though.

yet you wanted us to trade up for him but didn't think he was starting caliber

Not sure I believe that you don't trade up into the lottery for a player you don't think is starting material. He is still gonna hurt his team too much for my liking I still dont get why he came out early he should of stayed 4 years at UNC.
    I don't think I was actively saying lets trade for him? I probably said I wouldn't have minded in a few trade scenarios, but I don't think I was pushing for one. Even then, I think Kendall Marshall would be a good backup PG on this team. We need people who can distribute the ball, he can do that better than anyone we have.

Regarding Burke:

I'm not sure about his height--I have heard others whisper concerns about it but frankly it doesn't really bother me. I think he's got good speed with the ball and decent vision, but no elite NBA skill. His defense is average at best, and I think he needs to add a little strength, but again, not a major concern. He has taken to a lot of isos and a more scoring mentality as the season has progressed. I think he will be a decent backup in the NBA, but his lack of elite court vision, passing, shooting, defense, athleticism etc. concerns me.

Haha, was I wrong about anyone from that draft class?

Tyler Hansbrough - Said he would be solid backup.
    Ty Lawson - Said he would be a very good starter.
    Danny Green - Said he would be a great role player/glue guy.
    Wayne Ellington - Said he would be a garbage time guy/flush out of the league.

I guess I was a little off on Hansbrough and Ellington. Thought Hansbrough would be a great backup, which isn't true - though I still like him. Ellington has proven to stick around/make more of an impact than I thought he would though.
    I was with you on Green, as I recall. I was pretty surprised when he looked terrible his first couple years in Cleveland. Pop saved his career, really.

Obviously Lawson was the big one we disagreed on, and obviously I was wrong there

A lot of people were wrong on Lawson. His speed ended up being much better than I thought it was in college, it's always hard to gauge speed in college becuase it's not often two PGs with NBA level speed match up head to head in the NCAA.

Which is one of my concerns with Burke, his shooting %'s have plummeted whenever he's been up against quick guards who can stay in front of him.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What really makes me think Oladipo could fall down the draft is the depth of the shooting guard position in this draft. There isn't a star 2 guard out there but there are a lot of potential guys.

Muhammad, UCLA.
    McLamore, Kansas.
    Goodwin, Kentucky.
    Smart, OklSt
    Paul, Illinois

Now I think Vic is better in some areas than most of those guys, defense particularly. But almost all those guys have shown the ability to score longer than Oladipo has.
    "There is a time to play and a time to win. It is what you do during winning time that differentiates the average players from stars."

~Ahmad Rashad~

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Hinds View Post
    What really makes me think Oladipo could fall down the draft is the depth of the shooting guard position in this draft. There isn't a star 2 guard out there but there are a lot of potential guys.

Muhammad, UCLA.
    McLamore, Kansas.
    Goodwin, Kentucky.
    Smart, OklSt
    Paul, Illinois

Now I think Vic is better in some areas than most of those guys, defense particularly. But almost all those guys have shown the ability to score longer than Oladipo has.
    Smart is a pg anyone playing him at the 2 is wasting his talent.

Trey Burke reminds me a lot of Jameer Nelson really good shooter and PnR player.

I would currently put McLemore #1 Victor #2 and Bazz #3. Bazz is a really good scorer but he doesn't have the complete game of Ben and Victor IMO. To be fair to him he has only been in game shape a few games. However his holes are glaring and pretty big in terms of his play. The more I see him the less I like him so left hand dominate and not a good passer at all.

alo the other night when he cried after Larry Drew the 3rd made the game winner wasnt cool. I want win first guys and that was so me first it was sad to see.

How about Larry Drew proving Dr. Awesome wrong dude has become a great college pg for UCLA.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 02-10-2013 at 08:26 PM.

How about Larry Drew proving Dr. Awesome wrong dude has become a great college pg for UCLA.
    You are really stretching the definition of the word "great" aren't you?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Mood

You are really stretching the definition of the word "great" aren't you?
    lol
    Ya little hyperbole He has been decent to good this year especially considering how in flux his team is. I agreed with Dr. Awesome though he wasn't very good for UNC and needed to go. Especially considering how bad his skill set is he has become pretty good for a guy who can't shoot a lick.

Great is more of where he came from he wasnt very good just kind of surprising how improved he is.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...=2013130203010

Paul George on Victor Oladipo: 'That kid's got game

by: Curt Cavin

It didn’t take a dunker to know what a spectacular effort Indiana University’s Victor Oladipo gave in his near-miss of a jam Saturday night on a ball thrown behind him.

But Paul George, a standout in last year’s NBA’s Slam Dunk contest, said today following an Indiana Pacers' practice at Bankers Life Fieldhouse that Oladipo nearly delivered an all-time keeper.

“It would have been crazy if he would have got that down,” said George, who watched the 81-73 victory over No. 1 Michigan from the third row. “It would have been a top play (on television) for a while.”

George said he marveled at the Assembly Hall atmosphere, easily the loudest environment he’s experienced as a spectator. But while his ears were filled with noise, his eyes were fixed on Oladipo.
    “That kid’s got game,” the NBA All-Star said. “I like his game.”
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Now it really just seems like your searching for things...not sure what I ever did to you, but whatever.

Regarding Drew, I have no clue what you are talking about. I don't remember ever saying anything about him outside of the fact that Kendall Marshall was a lot better? I have no idea what you are referring to, but whatever. If I did say anything, I don't remember it and not sure why you would.

Please, tell me how I'm wrong some more with fake facts.

Mood

Now it really just seems like your searching for things...not sure what I ever did to you, but whatever.

Regarding Drew, I have no clue what you are talking about. I don't remember ever saying anything about him outside of the fact that Kendall Marshall was a lot better? I have no idea what you are referring to, but whatever.

Please, tell me how I'm wrong some more with fake facts.
    I got no problem with you like reading your stuff and talking college hoops maybe should of been clearer.

It was a joke everyone though he sucked because he did. I figured you didn't like him I know my Carolina friend hated the guys game. Maybe I should of put it in green but I figured you remembered how bad he was so you would get the joke. Didnt he shoot like 30% I couldn't stand watching him at UNC.

Also regarding Marshall it always seemed like you wanted to trade up for the guy. You would post in threads we need a guy like Marshall. I could dig them up but that takes a lot of time. It's no big deal just a misunderstanding if I knew you only though he was be a solid backup I wouldn't of ripped your take on him so much. I still don't think he will be a good backup but that isn't unrealistic at all if he improves a little. Now becoming a good starting I though was insane and I always though you believed that is what he would become.

EDIT: and how about one of my favorite backup prospects vs one of yours in Reggie Jackson vs Kendall Marshall is on right now. I look forward to watching that matchup all night/
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 02-10-2013 at 08:38 PM.

I get that you thought I didn't like him, but you said this:

When in reality, I've never said anything about the guy. So your just putting words in my mouth in an attempt to "prove" I'm wrong.

In fact, I said this last year:
    You can go back to last year with Larry Drew(who by college standards is a decent PG) and still see the difference. It is night and day.
    Hardly see me talking trash about him there, but whatever.

Since you seem interested in bashing me though, I'll own up to what I did say:

5 Overrated:
    Tyler Zeller - He has a place in the NBA, I just don't think he will be as good as everyone seems to think.
    John Henson - I see him as a poor mans Ed Davis. He'll block shots, but until he adds some weight he will get bullied.
    Austin Rivers - I just don't see him being great at anything at the next level. At most I think he's a solid backup who can put points on the board.
    Jeremy Lamb - I don't think its anything he has done wrong, I just don't see it. I don't know why.
    Dion Waiters - I think he will end up being a hollow stats guy. He's going to score, but will his play make his team better? I don't know.

5 Underrated:
    Kendall Marshall - Bet no one saw that coming haha. The guy makes EVERYONE on his team better. He makes offensively inept people turn into weapons.
    Meyers Leonard - I love the guy. I think he's a project, but will ultimately be a lot better than Tyler Zeller.
    Terrence Ross - I can't figure out why this guy isn't a top 7 pick. I love his game.
    Moe Harkless - I think over the course of his career he will be a lot better than many of the people picked before him.
    Jared Sullinger - This years DeJuan Blair. However, Sullinger is leagues above Blair in talent. It all comes down to health, but I'd take the chance on him.
    Jury is still out on some of them - though I don't think anyone has really proven me wrong yet.

I got no problem with you like reading your stuff and talking college hoops maybe should of been clearer.

It was a joke everyone though he sucked because he did. I figured you didn't like him I know my Carolina friend hated the guys game. Maybe I should of put it in green but I figured you remembered how bad he was so you would get the joke. Didnt he shoot like 30% I couldn't stand watching him at UNC.

Also regarding Marshall it always seemed like you wanted to trade up for the guy. You would post in threads we need a guy like Marshall. I could dig them up but that takes a lot of time. It's no big deal just a misunderstanding if I knew you only though he was be a solid backup I wouldn't of ripped your take on him so much. I still don't think he will be a good backup but that isn't unrealistic at all if he improves a little. Now becoming a good starting I though was insane and I always though you believed that is what he would become.

EDIT: and how about one of my favorite backup prospects vs one of yours in Reggie Jackson vs Kendall Marshall is on right now. I look forward to watching that matchup all night/
    I understand, I just don't get why you are putting words in my mouth in the process.

As for the matchup, I watched on and off up to this point, but now The Walking Dead is coming on, so I will miss the rest. :-\

Mood

I understand, I just don't get why you are putting words in my mouth in the process.

As for the matchup, I watched on and off up to this point, but now The Walking Dead is coming on, so I will miss the rest. :-\
    Kendall played pretty good. Westbrook vs anyone isn't fair so that wasn't his fault when Westbrook came back in. I love how OKC move the ball in the 2nd unit though pretty too watch. The Suns are a mess though I hope they figure it out in the coming weeks it's better for them if they don't though. Bazz would fit in well there Dragic and Marshall would get him the ball where he needs it.

His plus minus is gonna be super good they were down 20 when he came in they closed it to 5. Then OKC went on a 16-2 run to end the half Dragic's plus minus is gonna be terrible tonight.

Mood

To be fair, whenever there is a player from the State of Indiana, every(and by every I mean a lot of before you freak out) Pacers fan from Indiana is infatuated with them.

See Eric Gordon, Mike Conely, Eric Gordon, Gordan Hayword, Greg Oded, Eric Gordon, and pretty much every other player from Indiana in history.

And who could forget the continuing message board obsession with Brick McRoberts?

And, lest we forget, it wasn't that long ago that so many grief stricken message boarders moved from Indiana to Sacramento when Brad Miller left the Pacers.