View Poll Results: Burke or Oladipo

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Trey Burke

    22 28.95%
  • Victor Oladipo

    54 71.05%
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 347

Thread: Who to draft? Burke or Oladipo?

  1. #26
    A Magical Place Hoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood
    Posts
    4,560
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who to draft? Burke or Oladipo?

    For what it's worth, DraftExpress has us taking Victor Oladipo.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

  2. #27
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,669

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who to draft? Burke or Oladipo?

    Oladipo, and not just because I'm an IU fan. Burke is a terrible defender.

  3. #28
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    18,198

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who to draft? Burke or Oladipo?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I meant, they have been in Indiana at some point before going to the NBA - playing at IU counts in my book as being from Indiana. I see what your saying, but you knew what I meant.
    Yes, I understood your point. I understood it before you ever made it, which is why I predicted this thread would take the turn that it has--people arguing that this board overvalues players that went to IU.

  4. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Lawrence County
    Posts
    31

    Default Re: Who to draft? Burke or Oladipo?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For what it's worth, DraftExpress has us taking Victor Oladipo.
    Victor won't be there when we pick. He is going to be in the top 5. I'm not sure but he might get picked before Ben Mclemore the way Kansas has been tearing it up.

  5. #30
    Member Dr. Awesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    4,269

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who to draft? Burke or Oladipo?

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wait, are you telling me that you would pick all of those players ahead of Burke and Oladipo? Wow. I guess when Carolina sucks you don't watch much college basketball.
    Burke kinda interests me actually.

    Oladipo does not. I don't think he is skilled enough offensively to really make an impact. He is a hard worker and good defender, two things I admire - but still undersized. Well, he is listed at 6'4 some places and 6'5 others - usually(not always) its the shorter one. If he is 6'4, I wouldn't want him because even though he can defend SGs, if his main attribute is a defender, then its still a disadvantage.

    Most players at the end of the first round don't have a long career in the NBA, the best thing to do is find someone who can specialize in something. CJ Leslie kinda reminds me of a shorter Josh Howard. He is a solid all around player and pretty clutch. I love Lorenzo Brown's size, he has a lot of potential, but not where he should be skill wise. Tim Hardaway Jr is clutch and can really shoot the ball - could be a nice utility player in certain situations. Doug McDermott has just been amazing in college - he is a smart player and does just about everything. I've already said why I like Patric Young.

    EDIT: I am aware that Oladipo has improved on offense - however, he is on a team with a lot of weapons. I'm not sure how well that will translate to the NBA outside of his slashing ability.
    Last edited by Dr. Awesome; 02-10-2013 at 05:19 PM.

  6. #31
    Member Dr. Awesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    4,269

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who to draft? Burke or Oladipo?

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, I understood your point. I understood it before you ever made it, which is why I predicted this thread would take the turn that it has--people arguing that this board overvalues players that went to IU.
    Are you saying that it isn't true?

  7. #32
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    18,198

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who to draft? Burke or Oladipo?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you saying that it isn't true?
    Not nearly to the extent that many people think.

  8. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Lawrence County
    Posts
    31

    Default Re: Who to draft? Burke or Oladipo?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Burke kinda interests me actually.

    Oladipo does not. I don't think he is skilled enough offensively to really make an impact. He is a hard worker and good defender, two things I admire - but still undersized. Well, he is listed at 6'4 some places and 6'5 others - usually(not always) its the shorter one. If he is 6'4, I wouldn't want him because even though he can defend SGs, if his main attribute is a defender, then its still a disadvantage.

    Most players at the end of the first round don't have a long career in the NBA, the best thing to do is find someone who can specialize in something. CJ Leslie kinda reminds me of a shorter Josh Howard. He is a solid all around player and pretty clutch. I love Lorenzo Brown's size, he has a lot of potential, but not where he should be skill wise. Tim Hardaway Jr is clutch and can really shoot the ball - could be a nice utility player in certain situations. Doug McDermott has just been amazing in college - he is a smart player and does just about everything. I've already said why I like Patric Young.
    Ah, maybe you check out the box score of today's IU game before you say Victor can't score the ball. LMAO.

  9. #34
    Member Dr. Awesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    4,269

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who to draft? Burke or Oladipo?

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernIndianaFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ah, maybe you out to check out the box score of today's IU game before you say Victor can't score the ball. LMAO.
    I edited my post to say I think a lot of it is attributed to the fact that he is on a stacked team. I'm not sure how well he would do against NBA defenders.

    Laugh your *** off all you'd like...when he doesn't go "top 5" like you claimed, we will see who was closer to being right.

  10. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Lawrence County
    Posts
    31

    Default Re: Who to draft? Burke or Oladipo?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I edited my post to say I think a lot of it is attributed to the fact that he is on a stacked team. I'm not sure how well he would do against NBA defenders.

    Laugh your *** off all you'd like...when he doesn't go "top 5" like you claimed, we will see who was closer to being right.
    Hope I'm wrong. I really do. If he is there at 21 that would be outstanding.

  11. #36
    Member Dr. Awesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    4,269

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who to draft? Burke or Oladipo?

    I will say, I know a lot of you have seen a lot more of Oladipo than I have and maybe I should watch him play some more.

    I'm curious though, do ya'll see him being able to consistently score on NBA defenses? Granted, the Pacers are a top defense, but I just don't see him being able score on us. Even the Bobcats, one on one with Gerald Henderson(who I hate)...I just don't see him being able to create for himself. Again, maybe I just need to watch him more. He is smart, I'll give him that, but in terms of creating his own offense I don't see it.

  12. #37
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    18,198

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who to draft? Burke or Oladipo?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I edited my post to say I think a lot of it is attributed to the fact that he is on a stacked team. I'm not sure how well he would do against NBA defenders.

    Laugh your *** off all you'd like...when he doesn't go "top 5" like you claimed, we will see who was closer to being right.
    Name your wager--I don't think he will go top 5 but I can guarantee you that none of those turkeys you listed will be drafted ahead of Oladipo.

  13. #38

    Default Re: Who to draft? Burke or Oladipo?

    Draft Express has Burke at #18 and Oladipo @ #21, which is the Pacer's slot in their mock. So I will say Burke. But I really have no clue. Personally I would like another big.

  14. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Lawrence County
    Posts
    31

    Default Re: Who to draft? Burke or Oladipo?

    Dr. Awesome,
    He is more than a slasher. That was his game last year. This year he has developed a really good mid-range pull up. Chime in if I'm wrong, but the kid has worked on his game and deserves some credit.

  15. #40
    Member Dr. Awesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    4,269

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who to draft? Burke or Oladipo?

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Name your wager--I don't think he will go top 5 but I can guarantee you that none of those turkeys you listed will be drafted ahead of Oladipo.
    I didn't say they would go before him, I said from what I know - I'd prefer them.

    Granted, I have watched the people I listed play a lot more than I have of Oladipo, so again, I'm saying I could be wrong.

    Even if he is available when we pick - we don't need him. Nor any of the wings I listed. We need a PG or PF.

  16. #41

    Default Re: Who to draft? Burke or Oladipo?

    vic looks a solid 6-5 and he has GREAT wingspan that allows him to play bigger than his 6-5 height. he is just fine as an sg in the pros.

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clownskull For This Useful Post:


  18. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Cool Re: Who to draft? Burke or Oladipo?

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernIndianaFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Victor won't be there when we pick. He is going to be in the top 5. I'm not sure but he might get picked before Ben Mclemore the way Kansas has been tearing it up.
    Not only will he not be in the top five, he will not be in the top ten. He might creep into 15 but most mock drafts have him at 20 or just a big higher..... It wouldn't take much to move up to get him. Burke will be taken just ahead of him by four or five picks according to what I have read..... ...

  19. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Lawrence County
    Posts
    31

    Default Re: Who to draft? Burke or Oladipo?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I didn't say they would go before him, I said from what I know - I'd prefer them.

    Granted, I have watched the people I listed play a lot more than I have of Oladipo, so again, I'm saying I could be wrong.

    Even if he is available when we pick - we don't need him. Nor any of the wings I listed. We need a PG or PF.
    We should draft the BPA.

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SouthernIndianaFan For This Useful Post:


  21. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Lawrence County
    Posts
    31

    Default Re: Who to draft? Burke or Oladipo?

    Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not only will he not be in the top five, he will not be in the top ten. He might creep into 15 but most mock drafts have him at 20 or just a big higher..... It wouldn't take much to move up to get him. Burke will be taken just ahead of him by four or five picks according to what I have read..... ...
    What you read today won't be what happens at draft time.

  22. #45
    Member Dr. Awesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    4,269

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who to draft? Burke or Oladipo?

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernIndianaFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We should draft the BPA.
    Thats fine when you don't have needs. Oladipo isn't going to play above Granger, George, or Stephenson though.

    We need a backup 4, Patric Young could be a nice player to have off the bench. We also need a backup PG.

  23. #46
    Member Downtown Bang!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    St Paul MN
    Posts
    555

    Default Re: Who to draft? Burke or Oladipo?

    Victor won't go top five but likely in the late lottery. Even with this years significant improvement he will be too limited offensively to go that high.

    To play along with the thread I say Victor and then I'll up the ante and say pick Aaron Craft with (assuming we own it) the 2nd round pick in 2014. That back court rotation with PG, GH, Lance etc. would be BA on defensive end of the court.

  24. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Cool Re: Who to draft? Burke or Oladipo?

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernIndianaFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What you read today won't be what happens at draft time.
    It won't change enough to get your man in the top five..... ... He has a teammate who should be picked ahead of him...

  25. #48
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    South Side
    Posts
    4,236

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who to draft? Burke or Oladipo?

    The key with Oladipo will be two things. His measurements at the combine, specifically his wingspan, and his pre-draft workouts. If he measures out with a wingspan of 6'10" to 7'0", and can prove in workouts that he can hit the NBA 3, he'll skyrocket on draft boards. He's shooting 1.7 3's a game this season and hitting at a 52.6% clip. He's already proven he can be an elite NBA defender. That's why I think he'll end up being a top 5 pick.

  26. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Lawrence County
    Posts
    31

    Default Re: Who to draft? Burke or Oladipo?

    Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The key with Oladipo will be two things. His measurements at the combine, specifically his wingspan, and his pre-draft workouts. If he measures out with a wingspan of 6'10" to 7'0", and can prove in workouts that he can hit the NBA 3, he'll skyrocket on draft boards. He's shooting 1.7 3's a game this season and hitting at a 52.6% clip. He's already proven he can be an elite NBA defender. That's why I think he'll end up being a top 5 pick.
    Hey shags, I think we might have to save this post for future reference.

  27. #50
    #Franking Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    13,322

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who to draft? Burke or Oladipo?

    Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's already proven he can be an elite NBA defender.
    He has?

  28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Burke a quiet anchor for coaching staff..
    By Kemo in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-29-2011, 10:42 AM
  2. frank vogel or dan burke
    By Scot Pollard in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-11-2011, 01:51 PM
  3. Dan Burke on The Drive 1260
    By McClintic Sphere in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-21-2005, 07:59 AM
  4. Dan Burke was on WIBC earlier tonight.....
    By MagicRat in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-14-2005, 12:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •