76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Trey Burke

22 28.95%
  • Victor Oladipo

54 71.05%
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread: Who to draft? Burke or Oladipo?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Who to draft? Burke or Oladipo?

I'm trying to remember a player that has had such a meteoric rise other than Victor Oladipo recently. Opinions?

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm trying to remember a player that has had such a meteoric rise other than Victor Oladipo recently. Opinions?
    Paul George. From going to Pepperdine before his coach left and offered by Fresno and friggin Wyoming to #10 and now budding superstar at 22. It's really not that uncommon.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 02-20-2013 at 12:20 AM.

I Believe In Gerald Green repole's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I'm just not convinced Oladipo'll be a "role player." I definitely don't ever see him becoming a #1 scoring option or anything, but I mean if you can call him a 2 guard version of Rondo, which I think I can agree with given your parameters, that's not a role player y'know. I do worry a bit about him not being incredibly versatile defensively because of his size, he'll probably have plenty a problem with a number of the bigger 3s, but guys 6'6 and under that aren't just flat out elite ballhandlers (like Derrick Nix) he'll probably shut down.

I really would buy a ticket to watch him defend Kobe.
    Role player has a lot of different meanings. What I mean is that offensively I don't think you're ever going to want to rely on him to create. That doesn't mean he won't score off cuts, spot up jumpers, and some hopefully controlled drives, but I'd be pretty surprised if he were ever a primary ball handler in the NBA.

My Rondo comparison is weird, especially because Rondo has developed into a guy who dominates every Celtics possession, but I meant to more reference a younger Rondo. He was electric on defense, all over the place, he'd rebound, rack up steals, throw in the occasional block, and was flat out spectacular to watch at times. His per 36s were along the lines of 11-6-6 with a couple steals and turnovers those first two years, and even though he struggled to do much more than pass the ball on offense and was at times a liability (especially when he didn't have the ball), he was a guy you wanted on the court. And again, I don't mean to compare their actual offensive skillsets, I just mean that I could see Oladipo being a 12-6 guy with top tier defense his first few years, who sometimes leaves you wondering if he'll ever totally fit into the offense, but at the same time is so dominant defensively and just all around electric that you never really question his value.

A Gerald Green fan who now finds himself rooting for the Suns.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to repole For This Useful Post:

Mood

I don't think he has rose as much as some think. I loved him for the NBA last year had a 1st rd grade on him. You can't teach what he has and how he can move. Even his freshman year I would of took him in the 2nd he just had that it. His skill set and game has alway been NBA style. Some guys you can just tell. Lillard was overlooked the same way he was a top 100 recruit (higher than Victor). But he didn't start getting love until his junior year. Every time I put tape on he just stood out as a NBA player. I don't know why they get overlooked. But I can't really think of a player at a Bigger college he put up a massive improvment stats wise as a upperclassman who was already a good NBA prospect.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Right, I feel you on the Rondo stuff. Not comparing skillsets or anything, just game impact. I realize you aren't saying Oladipo's gonna bring it up against pressure and handle the ball for 16 seconds of a set or anything. I can probably agree with that.

I'm not an IU homer by any means, and I have no clue how his game will translate to the NBA, but man I love Oladipo's game to death right now.

Zeller and Oladipo could go 1 & 2. That's if IU wins the NCAA championship. According to team needs of course. Oladipo by far has the best creativity in College BBall, if you didn't see that in the Mich.St. game then god help ya. The guy does everything. I almost forgot to mention that he will graduate in 3 years.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

Sports Logo

Zeller goes top 5 I'll eat my hat

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    Crazy we have the same 1-2-3. Ben McLemore to me is clear away the best prospect his jumper so the best I have see plus he has a motor physical tools ect. After that there are Noel and Victor clear and above the rest. Then about 10 players that have a really solid case and a total crap shoot right now. Marcus Smart to me is almost in the Victor and Noel class on projection and future prognosis I would have him next and finally Isaiah Austin kid is a elite rebounder with a great skill set. Need to be patient with him but I could see him going as high as 2 really gifted.
    McLemore has a chance to be really special. Unbelievable shot. Great size. Athletic. I can easily see him being the next Ray Allen. Noel is a freak, and I don't worry about his knee at all. You draft that kid thinking about the future, and I don't see any reason he won't be a dominant rim defender in the NBA.

Oladipo is the best player in college basketball, but he's got a game that is much more tailor suited to the NBA. I think he'll be an elite perimeter defender from the get go. I understand people being hesitant about how his offensive game will translate, but I definitely don't see him as some sort of liability on that end of the floor. He's a good enough athlete that he won't need to be an elite shooter or ball handler, but he's already good enough at both to get his own, and he should only improve on those things in the league. He is crazy talented, and he's clearly willing to put in the work to improve. Just watch the way he moves. His first step is like he's shot out of a cannon. I might have him pegged totally wrong, but I think he's got All-Star potential as a two-guard. I don't see him as a role-player in the NBA, by any means.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    He's a good enough athlete that he won't need to be an elite shooter or ball handler
    He won't have to be elite there, no, but in the NBA, being an athlete doesn't really mean much off the ball. You aren't going to get a ton of buckets off cuts, in transition, etc. Hell, watching Gerald Green here should tell you that being an athlete isn't close to enough, you have to at least be a capable spot up shooter or ball handler to make it in the NBA offensively. If his jumper doesn't really come around, he needs to be a guy who capitalizes off one/two dribble drives and gets to the free throw line, like a Tony Allen. I think he's already capable of that, so he shouldn't have any trouble carving out a niche, but he still has a bit of a ways to go before he's at a point where you can really start thinking about him being an offensive difference maker in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by repole View Post
    He won't have to be elite there, no, but in the NBA, being an athlete doesn't really mean much off the ball. You aren't going to get a ton of buckets off cuts, in transition, etc. Hell, watching Gerald Green here should tell you that being an athlete isn't close to enough, you have to at least be a capable spot up shooter or ball handler to make it in the NBA offensively. If his jumper doesn't really come around, he needs to be a guy who capitalizes off one/two dribble drives and gets to the free throw line, like a Tony Allen. I think he's already capable of that, so he shouldn't have any trouble carving out a niche, but he still has a bit of a ways to go before he's at a point where you can really start thinking about him being an offensive difference maker in the NBA.
    Watching him has shown me that it would help to have a brain. I'm not concerned about that with Oladipo.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

That's all good and fine, but find me wing players who score in the NBA off the ball effectively without being good jump shooters. There aren't many.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to repole For This Useful Post:

That's all good and fine, but find me wing players who score in the NBA off the ball effectively without being good jump shooters. There aren't many.
    DeMar DeRozan is the first name that jumped into my head.

Edit: You are right that it certainly helps to be a good jump shooter, but I think he has already improved enough that he can't be considered a liability in that area. I mean, he is shooting better than 50% from behind the 3 point line this year, and almost 64% from the field. Is that a fluke? Maybe, but I doubt it. I think he's just that good.
    Last edited by Mackey_Rose; 02-20-2013 at 10:20 AM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

DeRozan's pretty inefficient shooting the ball, which sort of highlights the problem. The one thing that saves his efficiency is his turnover rate, something that's likely to plague Oladipo at least early in his career.

As for Oladipo's shooting, he's taken less than half as many threes as Gerald "39%" Green did last year. Tony Allen was a 39% 3 point shooter his rookie season on 31 attempts, which is just 14 less than Oladipo's had this year. That should be a pretty clear warning on his sample size and just how much meaning you can extract from it. I'm not saying he hasn't improved as a shooter, he certainly has, and he certainly can continue to improve. Just saying there's far from anything definitive that tells us he's a reliable jump shooter at this point.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Meteoric?
    "We want Miami"

DeRozan's pretty inefficient shooting the ball, which sort of highlights the problem. The one thing that saves his efficiency is his turnover rate, something that's likely to plague Oladipo at least early in his career.

As for Oladipo's shooting, he's taken less than half as many threes as Gerald "39%" Green did last year. Tony Allen was a 39% 3 point shooter his rookie season on 31 attempts, which is just 14 less than Oladipo's had this year. That should be a pretty clear warning on his sample size and just how much meaning you can extract from it. I'm not saying he hasn't improved as a shooter, he certainly has, and he certainly can continue to improve. Just saying there's far from anything definitive that tells us he's a reliable jump shooter at this point.
    Comparing Oladipo's shooting as a college player, to Tony Allen and Gerald Green in the NBA makes no sense. Tony Allen had those 31 attempts in 77 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    Meteoric?
    As in like a meteor.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Dgreenwell3 For This Useful Post:

http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/pa...ome-court-live

Quote Originally Posted by By Eamonn Brennan | ESPN.com

EAST LANSING, Mich. -- Victor Oladipo and Cody Zeller have a beef.

This can't happen very often. You can't be co-stars on a team as successful as the Indiana Hoosiers have been this season -- IU is the No. 1 team in the country, the nation's most efficient offense, the only 12-2 team in the best conference in college hoops and the obvious national title favorite going forward -- and not see things the same way at least 90 percent of the time.

But if you ask Oladipo about his sudden national player of the year frontrunner status, how it feels to go from being a hardly recruited raw athlete to a defensive stopper to a role player to drawing almost weekly broadcaster comparisons to a young Michael Jordan, the Hoosiers' overnight star interjects what is by now a minority opinion on the topic.

"I've told you who I think the player of the year is -- it's Cody Zeller," Oladipo said Tuesday night. "He always has been. If we didn't have him, I wouldn't be successful. None of us would be successful."

Ahem -- Cody? Your thoughts on the subject?

"He'll be the player of the year," Zeller said, laughing.

So, yes. For the 2012-13 Indiana Hoosiers, this is what passes for a beef.

It's not hard to see why: In their best win of the season and almost certainly the best of Tom Crean's career at IU -- a physical 72-68 trial against Michigan State, a fellow 11-2 conference title challenger in front of one of the best and most intense crowds you'll see anywhere, in any sport -- Oladipo and Zeller both crossed the 1,000-point scoring threshold for their careers. Along with Christian Watford and Jordan Hulls, the duo made history. They became part of the first team in the school's history to feature four 1,000-point scorers in the same game.

Reminder: "Indiana history" includes a team that went undefeated.

That is balance and depth and experience and leadership, and all of it was on full display Tuesday night. All four 1,000-point scorers (who ought to start some sort of campus club) finished in double figures: Oladipo had 19, Zeller 17, Watford 12, Hulls 12. Zeller, who has played as well as any player in the country in the past three weeks, began the game with two quality post moves and a 17-foot jumper. He couldn't keep that kind of offensive performance up -- he began exerting more and more energy on the defensive end, where his size was often the only thing stopping Michigan State's imposing interior from totally bossing the paint -- and he struggled on a series of possessions throughout the late first and early second halves.

But his teammates were always there. Hulls hit four threes on the night, one of them from somewhere in Canada, each of them coming at the best possible times. Watford went 2-of-5 from deep, and just 4-of-10 from the field, but he made the most important play of the game -- a drive and finish and foul and free throw with just 1:25 left, which cut Michigan State's suddenly imposing 67-63 lead to just one.

"Christian was just a grown man the whole night," Crean said.

And then there's Oladipo. Just two days after Indiana's do-everything junior sprained his ankle in a win over Purdue, there he was opening the game with cannon-shot drives to the rim, ruining passing lanes with chaos-inducing defensive hands, chasing back for crowd-silencing fast-break blocks, using crossover dribbles capable of putting even good perimeter defenders -- in this instance, Keith Appling -- at risk of their own ankle damage. There was Oladipo looking like the best player on the floor no matter what he did, which is probably most succinctly described as "everything."

When asked to name the difference between 2012's surprisingly good IU team and the title-or-bust 2013 edition, Tom Izzo's first-instinct response was exactly one word: "Oladipo."

Two years ago, Oladipo arrived at IU a three-star prospect ranked No. 54 at his position; he was a nice athlete, sure, but few coaches noticed. Two years ago, IU was coming off a 10-win season, Crean's second at the school, and it just so happened that the coach needed athletes. Frankly, he needed anyone.

Since then, Oladipo has morphed from an exciting leaper (2011) to a defensive specialist and rim crasher on a team with great need of both (last season) to one of the most efficient offensive players in all of college basketball. After Tuesday's 7-for-11 performance, Oladipo has made 118 of his 175 2-point field goal attempts this season, good for an eye-popping 67.4 percent. His advanced efficiency statistics -- things like offensive rating (127.8) and true shooting percentage (70.8) and effective field goal rate (69.2) -- all rank him among the best in the country. And when he deigns to shoot the ball from the outside, he makes over 50 percent of his 3s, too.

There may be better pure defenders in college basketball, and there may be more skilled scorers, and there may be more dominating rebounders, but no player combines all of those skills into a single package the way Oladipo has.

All of which would be merely impressive had Oladipo not also developed a knack for the game-winning play. But he has, and he was there again Tuesday night, recording the go-ahead tip-in with 47 seconds left, corralling IU's last two defensive rebounds, running out on the game-sealing fast break dunk, silencing a crowd so loud my ears popped.

And he did it all with a two-day-old sprained ankle.

"People asked if Victor Oladipo is 100 percent," Crean said. "There was no way of knowing he wasn't close to 100 percent tonight. The way he played was excellent, but the way he finished this game when he was winded and there's no doubt that his foot hurt -- he might tell you different, but I've been around him long enough to know when he is right. But I knew that his mind was right."

"He's just a refuse to lose kind of guy," Izzo said. "He reminds me of a few guys I've had. In winning time, he made the plays."

The Michigan State locker room was despondent, and Izzo wasn't much happier, convinced that the Spartans had let a crucial win slip away with mistakes throughout the game. There were plenty of bad decisions. One extreme example came when Derrick Nix took what looked like a cheap shot at Zeller's more sensitive regions (retaliation for what Nix thought was a similar low blow on an early play), but mostly those bad decisions were a shot forced against good interior defense, or a silly foul on a three-point shooter, or turnovers. Appling had his worst game of the season, a six-point, four-turnover, 1-for-8 outing -- he said it elicited the "worst feeling ever." The officiating was a constant theme on Twitter. Both sides were victims of bad calls, but a second-half foul and continuation for Zeller was especially egregious, and robbed the Spartans of whatever momentum Gary Harris had built with a three and a steal on previous possessions.

And despite all that, Michigan State still had a chance to tie the game in the final seconds, when Will Sheehey fouled Harris on a three-point attempt. Harris missed the first free throw, sealing the loss.

"We didn't answer the bell," Izzo said. "We always talk about buzzer-beaters and end-of-game plays, but two points at the beginning, because you don't guard a guy or don't cover a back cut, are the same as two points at the end of the game. They all add up.

"Games aren't lost with a free throw at the end, we just magnify it," Izzo said. "That game was lost early. They took it at us."

The upshot is more than a big conference win, more than pole position in the Big Ten chase, more than POY buzz for Oladipo. Perhaps the biggest implication, at least for Indiana, is the advantage over Michigan State if both wind up as No. 1 seeds. One of this year's regionals takes place in Indianapolis, and the higher-seeded No. 1 team gets first dibs. Indiana would very much like to be that team.

Check and check. Then again, if the Hoosiers keep this up -- and by "this," we mean the offensive balance and the defensive deflections and the senior leadership capable of toughing out these types of games, another of which lies in wait March 10 at Michigan -- lining up home court advantage in Indianapolis will seem like small potatoes.

In the meantime, maybe the Hoosiers can settle on a company line for player of the year. A coordinated campaign. A billboard, maybe? At least a flyer, right?

Victor?

"I'm just going to do whatever I can to help my team win -- I just want to win," he said. "But Cody has always deserved it."

Cody?

"He can have it," Zeller said.

Guys, come on. This is a problem.

A really, really good problem.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    Comparing Oladipo's shooting as a college player, to Tony Allen and Gerald Green in the NBA makes no sense. Tony Allen had those 31 attempts in 77 games.
    It's not a direct comparison, it's a caveat about sample size. I'm not comparing him as a shooter to Allen or Green, I'm only stating that small sample sizes can be deceiving.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/47144

Quote Originally Posted by From Chad Ford's Chat on ESPN.com
    Pete (Minneapolis)

Victor Oladipo had another great game last night. Do you think its possible he is a top 5 pick? Not a ton of comps out there with his combination of athleticism and defense.
    Chad Ford (1:48 PM)

Yes. He's moved into the Top 5 on our Big Board and for the first time, I've had a couple of GMs tell me that they like him more than Ben McLemore. They are in the minority right now ... but still. What a rise. In all my years of covering the draft, I've never seen a player improve as much as I've seen him improve in such a small period of time. He has weaknesses, but major, major upside. If he continues to improve, I don't think it's out of the question he could be the No. 1 pick in June. He's not there yet, but he's special.
    Wow. Wait until they see what he does at the combine.

Dick Vitale is basically a walking schtick. Dick Vitale keeps calling Victor "Baby Michael Jordan". I have no idea how to take that.

Quote Originally Posted by TinManJoshua View Post
    Dick Vitale is basically a walking schtick. Dick Vitale keeps calling Victor "Baby Michael Jordan". I have no idea how to take that.
    Vitale is going to die on air. The guy is clearly not all together there and they keep rolling him out there.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by TinManJoshua View Post
    Take it like you would take anything Vitale says. With a whole heaping truck load of kosher salt.

At this point there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Oladipo and Wade comparisons. The similarities are striking. Two mid level recruits, both coached by Crean. Similar body type, insane athletes, respectable shooters, but not the best.

The Oladipo and Jordan comparisons are crazy.

Though when Vic made that steal and the save to Yogi then got the dunk and as he was walking back he had that wry smile on his face like he just knew that he could make any play IU needed....well you'd be lying if it didn't at least flash across your mind.

BTW, would love to get Harris if he comes out and is around during our pick. Game has really slowed down for him.