22 28.95%
  • Victor Oladipo

54 71.05%
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Who to draft? Burke or Oladipo?

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks for serving our country.
    Isnt anything to make a huge deal about, I just hate it when people go out of their way to be disrespectful

Default Re: Who to draft? Burke or Oladipo?

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    No, Georgia is terrible in the really bad SEC. That kid has really hurt his draft stock by not being able to make that team compeittive this year.
    I haven't seen him play but keep in mind Paul George lead his Fresno team to a 15-18 mark, so Georgia's record doesn't tell the entire story.

I pick Oladipo because Burke won't be available when Pacers are likely to pick. Plus Oladipo's defense will help Pacers right away.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    Iverson was otherworldly fast and had long arms and great handles and great body control.
    Yea, AI was a freak of nature. I don't care what anyone says, pound for pound, best ever in my book.

What I'm going to write has little to do with what I think of AI career. But, my first fantasy league I was in I had AI and the rest of my team was average but solid. I can say AI won the league for me at ease. He was incredible in his prime. Toughest little guy, man. And the year they went to the finals, he was a beast, unleashed.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    Yea, AI was a freak of nature. I don't care what anyone says, pound for pound, best ever in my book.

What I'm going to write has little to do with what I think of AI career. But, my first fantasy league I was in I had AI and the rest of my team was average but solid. I can say AI won the league for me at ease. He was incredible in his prime. Toughest little guy, man. And the year they went to the finals, he was a beast, unleashed.
    During NCAA football signing day last week or whatever it was I was listening to a radio interview with one of the ESPN high school football scouts, talking about recruits and whatnot. They asked him who the best football player he ever scouted was, didn't miss a beat and said Allen Iverson.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    During NCAA football signing day last week or whatever it was I was listening to a radio interview with one of the ESPN high school football scouts, talking about recruits and whatnot. They asked him who the best football player he ever scouted was, didn't miss a beat and said Allen Iverson.
    Really, I didn't know he played. Wow, cool.

I'll have to research that. Thanks man.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Sports Logo

That's not to say I was really much of a fan of the way Iverson played basketball, but yeah, he's a freak athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    That's not to say I was really much of a fan of the way Iverson played basketball, but yeah, he's a freak athlete.
    Same here, he was a ball hog, egotistical character that I don't endorse. But was a heck of an athlete.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    So, you'd take him over Jordan?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    So, you'd take him over Jordan?
    Well No, did I say that wrong. Lol, I meant, like in his size class. Like, his size vs others his size. His pounds vs others pounds sorta thing. Is that not right?

Yea, I guess that isn't correct way of saying what I meant.
    To clarify what I meant was take his height and weight to anyone else of that size and weight and I'll take AI.

To the fighting world pound for pound meaning taking that weight class to another. Man, they use that term loosely in boxing. I never knew exactly what that meant till now. Damn, I've heard them say that about so many, yet Ali pretty much void that meaning.

Or maybe pound for pound is used for only active fighters? I don't know, guess ill look it up.
    Last edited by Pacer Fan; 02-16-2013 at 09:42 AM.

I would take Oladipo in a heartbeat. I think they should trade Granger for a pick to get him. It's not because I'm an IU fan. I thought Reggie was a better pick than Alford because all Alford could do was shoot. I thought Gordon was ok, but I just wanted him because they needed scoring. Oladipo can defend, has amazing athletism with an uncanny ability to get to the basket, his shooting is still developing and could be better. All great characteristics for a pro. But what I think separates him is his work ethic, he has worked to get where he is now, he didn't get there on natural ability alone. Natural ability didn't even make him the best player on his high school team. He is a tireless worker and ultra competitive that is why I think he will be great. He has that drive you see in the all stars. I haven't felt this strongly about a guard since Kobe Bryant, who I wanted the Pacers to draft desperately. I just knew he was going to be good, I have the same gut feeling with Oladipo.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Oladipo is ridiculous. How can you not love this guy?

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

I started laughing when Magic compared Oladipo to Michael Jordan and Dwyane Wade. On Oladipo's best day, and Jordan and Wade's worst day, Jordan and Wade are better.

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    I started laughing when Magic compared Oladipo to Michael Jordan and Dwyane Wade. On Oladipo's best day, and Jordan and Wade's worst day, Jordan and Wade are better.
    This drives me crazy. OF COURSE THEY ARE BETTER. Magic, Dick Vitale, the Grantland writer who said it earlier--all of them qualified that statement. "I'm not saying he is Jordan, but he reminds you of Jordan with the way he plays and moves."

By the way, I'm not sure who I would take over Oladipo at this point.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Mood

I actually see some Wade in Olodipo, his game has improved so much in the last 2 years.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to diamonddave00 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by diamonddave00 View Post
    I actually see some Wade in Olodipo, his game has improved so much in the last 2 years.
    I was thinking that as well
    "We want Miami"

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    By the way, I'm not sure who I would take over Oladipo at this point.
    Ben McLemore and Nerlens Noel are the only two I'd consider, but I'll take Oladipo for his motor.

I though that last year, Vic showed moments where he reminded me of D-Wade... In the style of play only... This year, I feel that Vic can become the next D-Wade... Really, the style of ball is so similar... I think that potentially VO can be top 3 pick...

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I just keep thinking Vic is going to have a slow game but everytime he plays he is a major, and sometimes dominant player. Am I wrong?
    "There is a time to play and a time to win. It is what you do during winning time that differentiates the average players from stars."

~Ahmad Rashad~

I Believe In Gerald Green repole's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Oladipo's a lot of fun to watch, but there has to be some concern with him from an NBA standpoint. If you're going to be a role player offensively in the NBA (and by all accounts, Oladipo isn't going to do a great job creating for himself), there are two things you better be good at: spot up shooting and taking care of the ball. His shooting has improved, but it's still suspect, and his turnovers have been pretty consistently high his entire time in college. Outside of that his game is pretty spectacular, I think he's got a shot at being the SG version of Rondo in some ways, a guy who's warts you are willing to overlook because he does so many things at elite levels.

Burke isn't nearly as flashy, he can put up big numbers without you really noticing just how much of an impact he's had on the game. His biggest strength has to be his ability to limit turnovers, especially considering just how much he dominates the ball. His jumpshot is pretty advanced at this point, with his off the dribble shot being particularly impressive. He knows how to run an offense, and is a capable drive and kick PG. I do question whether he relies on his jumper too much, and just how well he'll be able to draw fouls and finish inside in the NBA. He's a good passer, but he doesn't really do anything special in that regard, I remember Darius Morris being a more impressive passer than Burke (though not as in control) for what it's worth. Defensively he's mediocre at best, as his height doesn't do him any favors there, nor does his general lack of interest in that side of the ball. I've seen the CP3 comparisons, and I don't quite buy that level of hype, Paul's a much more creative passer and defensively is light years ahead. I think he's got All Star type upside, and long term I could see him having some seasons similar to what Kyrie's got going right now, but that's far from a sure thing. He's may well end up being in that Mike Conley class of PGs who get the job done but always leave you wanting a bit more.

A Gerald Green fan who now finds himself rooting for the Suns.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    Oladipo is ridiculous. How can you not love this guy?
    Seriously....just close this thread.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by repole View Post
    Oladipo's a lot of fun to watch, but there has to be some concern with him from an NBA standpoint. If you're going to be a role player offensively in the NBA (and by all accounts, Oladipo isn't going to do a great job creating for himself), there are two things you better be good at: spot up shooting and taking care of the ball. His shooting has improved, but it's still suspect, and his turnovers have been pretty consistently high his entire time in college. Outside of that his game is pretty spectacular, I think he's got a shot at being the SG version of Rondo in some ways, a guy who's warts you are willing to overlook because he does so many things at elite levels.

Burke isn't nearly as flashy, he can put up big numbers without you really noticing just how much of an impact he's had on the game. His biggest strength has to be his ability to limit turnovers, especially considering just how much he dominates the ball. His jumpshot is pretty advanced at this point, with his off the dribble shot being particularly impressive. He knows how to run an offense, and is a capable drive and kick PG. I do question whether he relies on his jumper too much, and just how well he'll be able to draw fouls and finish inside in the NBA. He's a good passer, but he doesn't really do anything special in that regard, I remember Darius Morris being a more impressive passer than Burke (though not as in control) for what it's worth. Defensively he's mediocre at best, as his height doesn't do him any favors there, nor does his general lack of interest in that side of the ball. I've seen the CP3 comparisons, and I don't quite buy that level of hype, Paul's a much more creative passer and defensively is light years ahead. I think he's got All Star type upside, and long term I could see him having some seasons similar to what Kyrie's got going right now, but that's far from a sure thing. He's may well end up being in that Mike Conley class of PGs who get the job done but always leave you wanting a bit more.
    Oladipo isn't doing a good job creating for himself? How many times does he have to cross a dude over?

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I'm just not convinced Oladipo'll be a "role player." I definitely don't ever see him becoming a #1 scoring option or anything, but I mean if you can call him a 2 guard version of Rondo, which I think I can agree with given your parameters, that's not a role player y'know. I do worry a bit about him not being incredibly versatile defensively because of his size, he'll probably have plenty a problem with a number of the bigger 3s, but guys 6'6 and under that aren't just flat out elite ballhandlers (like Derrick Nix) he'll probably shut down.

I really would buy a ticket to watch him defend Kobe.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    well you guys are the reason he and that team are so cocky. They think they're the best team in history and Oladipo thinks he's POY. The whole reason of this was to see how many people voted for Burke and to give my point about how Burke will be a 200000x better player than Oladipo in the NBA. But you IU fans had to ruin the whole thread
    BTW, they asked Oladipo directly after this game if he thought he was the POY...his response, ""I'm not the player of the year. I told you guys who guys who POY is. I think it's Cody Zeller, and it's always been."

So yeah....that cocky guy doesn't exist. He's just a dude who's really good at basketball.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    Ben McLemore and Nerlens Noel are the only two I'd consider, but I'll take Oladipo for his motor.
    Crazy we have the same 1-2-3. Ben McLemore to me is clear away the best prospect his jumper so the best I have see plus he has a motor physical tools ect. After that there are Noel and Victor clear and above the rest. Then about 10 players that have a really solid case and a total crap shoot right now. Marcus Smart to me is almost in the Victor and Noel class on projection and future prognosis I would have him next and finally Isaiah Austin kid is a elite rebounder with a great skill set. Need to be patient with him but I could see him going as high as 2 really gifted.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post: