Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Trade Roy Hibbert Thread

Default Re: Official Trade Roy Hibbert Thread

Quote Originally Posted by The Future View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Clearly your expectations are quite low for the teams highest paid player.
    I've been waiting for this thread since the day we announced signing him to the max... Congratulations! You're the winner!

Clearly you think inside the box...

First... People in general put too much emphasis on players salaries when determining their worth to a team... I understand it... But I think people go overboard with it... The agents and GMs determine salaries... Why blame a player and want him gone namely because they make a **** ton of money? Especially when you consider everything the player brings to your franchise...

Second... As has been stated and evidenced... Good big men DO NOT COME CHEAP... Notice I said good... Not great...

Third... I don't know what more you expect from a player making 13 million in the NBA... Superstars that dominate on both sides of the ball should fall between 15-20 mil IMO... Players who dominate one side of the ball should make between 10-15 mil IMO... And Roy Hibbert dominates on defense... He anchors one of the best defenses in recent history! He changes the game when he is on the floor... That is absolutely a mini-max player... Dwight Howard makes about 6 mil more per year than Roy... And he is currently anchoring one of the most disappointing defenses in recent history...

Fourth - Roy brings so much good PR to this team... I don't even need to explain this point... If you are a Pacers fan then you should already understand this massive chunk of what Roy Hibbert's 13 mil brings to this team...
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to J7F For This Useful Post:

Right now Roy is worse on offense than Jeff Foster ever was. At least Foster could make putbacks and bunnies. I think you guys overrate his defense a little as well.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.ThunderMakeR For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post
    Right now Roy is worse on offense than Jeff Foster ever was. At least Foster could make putbacks and bunnies. I think you guys overrate his defense a little as well.
    EVENTUALLY Jeff could make putbacks and bunnies. Certainly not for several years into his career, though. In fact, Jeff had a GOD AWFUL (worse than Roy) year in 2002-2003 where he shot freakin' 0.360 from the field FOR THE SEASON. 36% !

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/jeff_f...eer_stats.html

Can you imagine how some people would be ripping him to shreds on here right now if that happened today? And we're not talking about a player who shot hook shots or tried to score in the low block, rarely took jumpers either; we're talking a garbage man type of center. That makes Roy look like Kareem.

Maybe that little historical nugget can put some of this crappy Roy stretch into perspective. It can get better, and it could be a lot worse.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    EVENTUALLY Jeff could make putbacks and bunnies. Certainly not for several years into his career, though. In fact, Jeff had a GOD AWFUL (worse than Roy) year in 2002-2003 where he shot freakin' 0.360 from the field FOR THE SEASON. 36% !
    I agree with you in that I think a lot of the putbacks and bunnies are not purely making the shot, but KNOWING which shot to shoot (hook, lay-in, dunk, or a kick out). Roy routinely shoots the wrong kind of shot as evidenced by his running floater the other game that hit the middle of the backboard and that contributes to his bad shooting percentage as much as anything.

So hopefully Roy gets wise like Jeff and learns when to shoot what shot.
    DG for 3

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ColeTheMole For This Useful Post:

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/jeff_f...eer_stats.html

Can you imagine how some people would be ripping him to shreds on here right now if that happened today? And we're not talking about a player who shot hook shots or tried to score in the low block, rarely took jumpers either; we're talking a garbage man type of center. That makes Roy look like Kareem.

Maybe that little historical nugget can put some of this crappy Roy stretch into perspective. It can get better, and it could be a lot worse.
    My issue with this is that I don't think anybody had the same expectations from Foster as we do from Roy (not just as a fan, but also from the Pacers as an organization.) Nobody goes out there expecting Foster to be much of an offensive factor, but I do expect Roy to be able make many of these missed shots that should really be routine for him.

For me, Roy seems like a tease right now because he showed what he was capable of in the playoffs last year, and has not been able to do that consistently this season.

For the record, I hope I'm very wrong about Roy and I hope he turns it around. I'd gladly admit to being wrong.
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BornReady For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    My issue with this is that I don't think anybody had the same expectations from Foster as we do from Roy (not just as a fan, but also from the Pacers as an organization.) Nobody goes out there expecting Foster to be much of an offensive factor, but I do expect Roy to be able make many of these missed shots that should really be routine for him.

For me, Roy seems like a tease right now because he showed what he was capable of in the playoffs last year, and has not been able to do that consistently this season.

For the record, I hope I'm very wrong about Roy and I hope he turns it around. I'd gladly admit to being wrong.
    Foster must have shot a LOT less frequently too..

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dal9 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Another fun historical nugget: Jeff Foster made a total of $50,070,075 dollars in his NBA career, Which is less than Hibbert's current $58.1m contract...

People are unhappy with the fact that our highest paid player is putting extremely bad numbers compared to the rest of the league and compared to what he had last year, and rightfully so...
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yoadknux For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Cool Re: Official Trade Roy Hibbert Thread

Quote Originally Posted by yoadknux View Post
    Another fun historical nugget: Jeff Foster made a total of $50,070,075 dollars in his NBA career, Which is less than Hibbert's current $58.1m contract...

People are unhappy with the fact that our highest paid player is putting extremely bad numbers compared to the rest of the league and compared to what he had last year, and rightfully so...
    Some people just are not very bright and they just don't understand that Roy is the anchor to what is, perhaps, the best defense in the league. That is worth a lot of money in my book...... ...

What's Defensive points per possession with Hibbert versus Mahimi?

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    Some people just are not very bright and they just don't understand that Roy is the anchor to what is, perhaps, the best defense in the league. That is worth a lot of money in my book...... ...
    Jeff was a lifelong backup and that was all that he was. He was paid handsomely for being a backup... ...

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    I'm sorry, but what are you basing this on? I ask because I've been hearing "the offense will come. Give it time" since, oh, the first week of the season. What's the basis for believing he's going to suddenly go from not being able to post up guards on a mismatch to scoring efficiently inside? What's the logic behind that?
    Because he was able to do it most of last season?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:

Gotta Play Big

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    Paul and Roy are why the defense is so good. The other guys are good defenders as well, but clearly without Roy in the middle our defense would not be the same. He does seriously clog the lane. Ian is actually pretty good too.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    What's Defensive points per possession with Hibbert versus Mahimi?
    3.5 point difference per 100 possessions.

I too think Roy's D can be overrated here. He's great at protecting the rim, but he doesn't help on screen and rolls, and his man more often than not outplays him. I don't want to trade him yet, but I can't say I'd be disappointed if we did as long as we we're able to get some value back for him.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    3.5 point difference per 100 possessions.

I too think Roy's D can be overrated here. He's great at protecting the rim, but he doesn't help on screen and rolls, and his man more often than not outplays him. I don't want to trade him yet, but I can't say I'd be disappointed if we did as long as we we're able to get some value back for him.
    The only thing that would make any sense would be to trade him for a center. Do you think you can set up a package and land Dwight Howard? I don't. Perhaps on of the Lopez twins? Nah, that ain't going to happen either. Just what other center do you think you can get for him and feel free to add Granger if you need to do so. Boston might jump on a deal of Garnet for Hibbert...... I don't think Garnet would come to the Pacers.... ...

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Overrated defense? Who the F was blocking those Raptor shots late in the game?

Roy is struggling on offense, though he's been slightly better lately.

Consider this my Official Boycott of the trade Roy thread post. We got a long way to go before that deal is a bust. Prior history, work ethic and quality of person buy a ton of leeway in my book, way more than he's used up so far.

26. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Give me a break whoever commented that Roy might open up PD and see this thread. When you make a max contract and play the way he has this year you deserve any criticism that might come your way. It would be far worse in some of the big markets. If the Pacers record was bad right now Roy would be getting hammered.

I like Roy and don't want to trade him BTW.
    Last edited by presto123; 02-09-2013 at 06:23 PM.

Mood

Roy was manhandled by the 20 year old Valanciunas last night. Where was he at the end when Johnson grabbed all those rebounds for the last 3 baskets in regulation and the first basket in ot? Roy grabbed all of 3 rebounds while Valanciunas and Johnson both grabbed 14.

Hell Paul George had 14 boards while Roy grabbed 3 oh wait maybe Paul was being a Troy Murphy and stealing rebounds from Roy.

Also I'm pretty sure Roy is NOT "literally" stealing money from anyone. What, is he cracking safes in the Fieldhouse, jumping the counter at Chase, jacking the clerk at the downtown Speedway?

He is literally receiving a negotiated salary that at least one other team was willing to pay him. He's figuratively stealing money in your opinion. And if you left off the "figuratively" we'd all know what you meant anyway.

But what's good hyperbole in 2013 without a random "literally" thrown in for good measure.

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    Give me a break whoever commented that Roy might open up PD and see this thread. When you make a max contract and play the way he has this year you deserve any criticism that might come your way. It would be far worse in some of the big markets. If the Pacers record was bad right now Roy would be getting hammered.

I like Roy and don't want to trade him BTW.
    Of course he'd be getting hammered. But he's a big reason the record isn't bad.

Quote Originally Posted by diamonddave00 View Post
    Roy was manhandled by the 20 year old Valanciunas last night. Where was he at the end when Johnson grabbed all those rebounds for the last 3 baskets in regulation and the first basket in ot? Roy grabbed all of 3 rebounds while Valanciunas and Johnson both grabbed 14.

Hell Paul George had 14 boards while Roy grabbed 3 oh wait maybe Paul was being a Troy Murphy and stealing rebounds from Roy.
    I won't argue that point. I think you and I discussed the whole "the next time he wins a 50/50 ball will be the first" issue last week, and it's obviously true. He's not been great at fighting guys above the rim for the ball, though he hits the floor with the best of them.

I'm not really defending his struggles at all, I'm just saying that he's got of list of reasons for me to give him plenty of leeway on the issue. He's already gone up and down with what appeared to be mental blocks in the past, just as he's been a pretty tough offensive player in the past too. He put Dwight in foul trouble a couple of years ago and had the BiLF thinking he was the next sliced bread. Then a few weeks later he's back to struggling, up and down all the time. That's part of Roy, the struggle to feel confidence and toughness in his identity in a consistent manner.

He works as hard as anyone, but it seems like he has to overcome a gut instinct when it comes to blatant toughness.

Banned

Ok so I'm one of the people that think this thread is ridiculous but I can tell you that if you are using the one time Roy outplayed Howard to make a point and prove that he is great I don't think you are making a good argument.

Gotta Play Big

If his offense met our expectations, he would be the best big man in the east if not the entire NBA. I count myself lucky that Troy Murphy isn't the one patrolling the paint on D anymore.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I can completely understand why people are frustrated with Hibbert. His 41 or 42% field-goal percentage is downright awful for a guy with his type of game.

Having said this, for me personally he gets a mini-pass because of what he's already proven. Let's not forget he was an All-Star last year. Offensively, maybe this is simply a classic "down year". Just like David West's season last year, coming off injury.

Also, someone put it well earlier in this thread... he anchors our great defense. If there was a way to measure the value of combined defense among 3 players, then the trio of Hibbert, West, and Paul George would be off-the-charts good. I'm talking A++ stuff. Hibbert DOES change the game. Even when he's not blocking shots, he's altering things. If it was just West inside, maybe teams would be more aggressive. But West AND Hibbert AND George? Not a chance.

He does need to improve offensively, though.

I think it's also worth pointing out that Hibbert has the "big oaf" factor going on. When he does something clumsy or awkward, it makes him appear foolish and unvaluable to the eye.

*note, I'm using the pronoun 'You' below to refer to the general you, not any one person*

I start to tune out real quick with the hand wringing over contracts. It's not Roy's fault, or Roy's problem, that he gets paid more money than YOU think he deserves. He doesn't owe you a damn thing in that department. That money was decided by the NBA, his agent, and at least two NBA teams, all of which collectively resulted in the amount he was able to sign for.

The guy busted his *** in the gym, developed his game, and became a good center who even managed to sneak onto an all-star team. After that, it was out of his hands regarding money.

Those checks are set in stone, so this drum beat about his salary amounts to crying over spilled milk and IMO needs to stop.

I could understand if it were YOUR money, but it's not, so just give it a rest already. It may as well be monopoly money for as much as it has anything specifically to do with any of you.

I can understand being bummed because he's not meeting expectations, though. Of course, what those expectations are varies from fan to fan, so which one's set of expectations does he have to attach himself to, exactly, anyway?

If I felt like he was dogging it, had a crappy attitude, wasn't trying, whatever, then yeah I could get behind anger or venting about it. But for God's sake is there anyone less likely to be doing that than Roy freakin' Hibbert? I don't think so.

So he's struggling, yes. He's also more than likely doing anything/everything he can to fix it, and it's just not working much at all as of this point. So given that likelihood, how about instead of busting his chops you give him some positive support to try to help him through a tough time on the floor? His gain is your gain, and beating him up about it won't solve ****.

38. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

I just wish he'd work on his balance, sick of him falling on his *** 20 times a game...