Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Another Trade Roy Hibbert Thread

Sports Logo

Default Re: Another Trade Roy Hibbert Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hailey12 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Then there are those loose ball rebounds or the ones that come right to him that he doesn't get, because he was slow to react or doesn't hold on to the ball tight.
    Or because he was challeging the shot that got us the initial miss to begin with and so wasn't in position to get the rebound
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

cgg

billbradley

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    It will keep him from getting constantly double teamed and hacked down low like he is now, though.

PS: He couldn't dunk that last finger roll if you are referring to this. He was too far away.
    I was right there, I don't think he was too far, but that's besides the point. I'm talking about plays where Hibbert has the opportunity to keep the ball high and dunk. Or grab the ball and go up. Or missed shots around the rim. Things that have nothing to do with Danny. Falling down, free throws.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    So what you're saying is Roy could play worse? Because what we're doing now isn't working. Unless it's Danny being out (which it's not) just saying "Roy will come around" is not the answer anymore.
    As I agree with the notion of benching Roy, I don't see how we all can't just say "Roy will come around". We really have no choice but to think positive among ourselves. We are stuck with the big fella, like it or not. Isn't that right? And as much as I loved the fact that we picked up Ian and he is playing as well as I thought he would, he isn't gonna carry us to far as a starter.

The perfect opportunity is to bench him right now, let him soak on it during the break and get back to a higher level of play for the 2nd half of the season!

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

billbradley

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    As I agree with the notion of benching Roy, I don't see how we all can't just say "Roy will come around". We really have no choice but to think positive among ourselves. We are stuck with the big fella, like it or not. Isn't that right? And as much as I loved the fact that we picked up Ian and he is playing as well as I thought he would, he isn't gonna carry us to far as a starter.

The perfect opportunity is to bench him right now, let him soak on it during the break and get back to a higher level of play for the 2nd half of the season!
    We can say that, the coaching staff has to stop saying it at some point.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:

Mood

We can say that, the coaching staff has to stop saying it at some point.
    Yep, Actions are stronger then words at times...bench him!

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

What if Bird left because he didn't want to retain Roy but Simon did? (That has been speculated around here.)

That, along with Lance breaking out, has Larry with lots of last laughs when the boys get together.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Sports Logo

I'm talking about plays where Hibbert has the opportunity to keep the ball high and dunk. Or grab the ball and go up. Or missed shots around the rim.
    I don't think that anyone disagrees with that. But even the easy plays are harder when you have 2-3 people pounding on your weak base.

free throws.
    He is shooting very wel from the line in 2013. He was horrible at it at the start of the season, though.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    What if Bird left because he didn't want to retain Roy but Simon did? (That has been speculated around here.)

That, along with Lance breaking out, has Larry with lots of last laughs when the boys get together.

I think Bird would have re-signed Hibbert. I think about any GM would have.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    My fake GM self would have traded Hibbert at last years trade deadline. I would have Granger last summer. I would be trading West at this deadline. I would be plucking some of the best young talent in the league. My core would be

J. McGee
    D. Cousins
    P. George
    K. Thompson
    M. Ellis

G. Hill
    F. Garcia
    C. Brewer
    J. Henson
    I. Mahinmi
    A. Biedrins
    AJ. Price
    J. Leuer

And my coach would be Brad Stevens

And I would be working hard on ridding of Biedrins. But my draft picks would be limited to help with this.

It is fun to pretend.

Banned

Not trying to get into an argument but I remember the time Bird was trying to get not only West but also Nene, the report is that he wanted both, I'm not really sure if Bird would have re-signed Roy with Nene here.

I'm not trying to start the Nene argument by the way.

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post

You want to bench him when he is playing great defense because he is a point short of his career average per game? This is silly.... ...

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    You want to bench him when he is playing great defense because he is a point short of his career average per game? This is silly.... ...
    I think it's silly to say my thought is silly when your rebuttal is silly. We'll just be silly together...on the count of 3...1...2...3

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Not trying to get into an argument but I remember the time Bird was trying to get not only West but also Nene, the report is that he wanted both, I'm not really sure if Bird would have re-signed Roy with Nene here.

I'm not trying to start the Nene argument by the way.
    I never heard, seen a report that Bird wanted both. He was simply trying to meet them and feel the water and then make a sales pitch! If you don't want to make an argument then try not to respond with weak material. You might want to post something that says Bird was wanting to sign both, then you will likely not have a argument...just sayin!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Official Trade Roy Hibbert Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Not sure if you're serious?
    Very
    Smothered Chicken!

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Only if their plan would have worked and they could limit the buzz around Hibbert by limiting his minutes in favor of Nene. Keep in mind they were also counting on Foster.
    Kind of what they tried to do with Hill, benching him for someone worse in Collison.
    They could have had the same in mind for Paul George. If Granger would have stayed healthy, it's far less likely he would have taken over from Danny. Mostly because he is not a very good SG on offense.

It's a business, if you can keep a good player partly in the shadow for a while, it's less likely agents will pull you a Hibbert. You never know of course with the Paul Allens of this world...

It all failed

If you think benching Roy Hibbert will help, then I doubt you have been following his career.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not advocating him to be benched but the Satan has long gone.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    Playing great defense is the only thing he is doing well, besides missing shots. What is silly is that you point to his career ppg average instead of his ppg avg from last season. Which he is averaging 3 less ppg (and the lowest percentage of his career by far)... He is also getting to the line 1.5 times less per game and shooting at the lowest percentage of his career (since his rookie season)when he gets there.

I appreciate Big Guy for the positive attention he brings us off the court. But, I don't appreciate when it may have a negative impact on the team. Going to Gagnam Style practice after basketball practice every evening in the preseason was unnecessary. Maybe thats not fair, but its reality and if you are going to go there, you better not be missing bunnies.

He got a mini-max deal from us, I expect better than benefitting from an off-season rule of emphasis that rewards you for being the tree that you were born to be. Glad we finally figured out how to use that rule to his advantage. (It only took 4 years) It happens to be the only area he has improved in.

I think he is still important for our growth as a team, but he's got to live up to that paycheck. But, I don't have a problem with people suggesting that we should look to move him, either...

After you have been given a mini-max contract, we expect that you will infact, be working harder to earn that money and not apparently, getting worse.
    Last edited by *astrisk*; 02-13-2013 at 10:59 AM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to *astrisk* For This Useful Post:

As long as the defense is there, limiting his minutes is a mistake. You simply stop giving him so many touches in the post while maintaining his minutes.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

I've read the rumor that Bird didn't want to resign Hibbert. And I've also read he wanted both Nene and West. I think he had a master plan in place.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    I've read the rumor that Bird didn't want to resign Hibbert. And I've also read he wanted both Nene and West. I think he had a master plan in place.
    Yeah, I remember thinking "Ridiculous Nene got $65M over 5 years" followed by Roy getting about a $2M/year increase on that. Man. Nene is shooting 50%, scoring 13 and grabbing 7. Biggest issue with him is injuries...followed by his rather poor defense in the post.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Derek2k3 For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    As long as the defense is there, limiting his minutes is a mistake. You simply stop giving him so many touches in the post while maintaining his minutes.
    It's funny because there was a game maybe 3-4 weeks ago where Ian came in and his defense was so bad that I found myself very anxious to get Roy back on the floor. Normally Roy's offense is so bad that you think "well we can live with Ian for a bit and it's not so bad", but on that night it was painful.

Ian just isn't getting the same scrutiny due to his salary, but he's far less consistent than Roy. Ian's version of Roy's missed shots at the rim is his inability to hold onto the basketball. It's easy as big a problem as Roy's shooting touch.

Ian will lose the ball OOB, or have it get tipped around or stolen, or just fumble it enough that he has to kick it out and restart the set. And I'm saying this as a big fan of Ian. I want him to be better just like I want Roy to be better. I want them to have success because they seem like nice players and the kind of guys you want to represent the Pacers.

But this delusion that Ian is doing as much as Roy is just bad blood over his salary.

It sucks that Roy is struggling and something needs to get fixed, but how and what seems to me to be a very grey area. I don't think it's a simple answer.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Mood

Default Re: Official Trade Roy Hibbert Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    That's not what literally means.
    http://theoatmeal.com/comics/literally
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

Gotta Play Big

I have no complaints about Roy and Ian. I'm just happy we don't have Troy Murphy, Solomon Jones and Lou Amundson patrolling the lane anymore. We are around .600 folks. Enjoy it!

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

We have seen numerous times that benching a player can possibly jump start his game. A recent example would be DJ Augustine. Though its not like DJ has been lighting it up lately, at least he hits open threes and doesn't commit silly turnovers. When a coach benches a player, it sends the message that the player is not trying hard enough. This is not the case with hibbert. Hibbert cares about his play. He really wants to improve his shooting percentage. I heard someone say that right before Christmas pacers had a day off, hibbert called frank Vogel and asked if an assistant coach could go to the fieldhouse and practice his hook shots with him. Frank didn't want to disturb the other coaches family time so he went himself.
    Yes I do want to bang my head on the table when Hibbert misses point blank put backs. But he's really defending at a high level and trying on offense. A lot of people are upset because with that massive salary we expect better offensive production. While I too am pretty upset with Hibbert so far this season, I'd like to see how he plays when Danny comes back. With PG's improvement, if Danny could play at 80% the level he was at last year and Hibbert regain last year's efficiency we'd be golden.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersRule For This Useful Post: