Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is there really a difference?

Default Is there really a difference?

I mean between this Paul George and 2005 Grangerover? I am one of the biggest Paul George homers in this forum I am. But you can't be a homer when you spew the truth.

What makes us value George so much higher than Danny? Is it the fact that were winning? Is it the fact that he plays amazing defense? Is it the fact that he's 22 and is developing

at a crazy rate? Is it the fact that he's a great humble young man and has embraced the city? I mean we all loved Danny, I've been a long time reader here. But something feels different

IMO. With Granger it always felt like he needed to drop 40+ in order for us to stay in a game, But with Paul! I get a weird vibe. Like It's going to be okay. Like he's one of those rare breeds

that makes everyone around him better. He hustles and he expects everyone to do the same, He sets the pace for our team. He eats glass, and bangs down low. He's not a try hard because

there is some crazy amount of talent there. What are your expectations for boy George in 2013-14? I feel like he can be our Paul Pierce type player. I don't even think Paul realizes how

good he can be or is. I'll never forget the summer league, He looked beyond raw. Lance was killing it and so was Magnum. Then he quietly kept putting in work. The Bulls series after arriving in Indy

he went to the Gym that same night. Do you think that he can be the greatest Pacer of all time in this modern era? I mean I don't think he'll ever be outspoken like Uncle Reggie, Nor

do I think he'll be as (fake) tough as the Grangerover. But there is a desire that burns within him, That has me coco for his future. I truly love this Indiana team. The way it develops players,

It's just great and something many franchises can't seem to do. But the point is, What type of greatness do you see from Paul?

By me ^^

2. The Following User Says Thank You to picasso For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Is there really a difference?

The difference is that Paul George is becoming a complete player who contributes in all facets of the game, starting with defense. He's also more athletic and has a much more diverse game. In short, he's a better overall talent.

4. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to 3rdStrike For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

When Danny Granger was the age Paul is now, he was a rookie averaging 7.5 points per game. George reaching All-Star level at age 22, coupled with the fact that he has a more complete game, is what makes Pacer fans more excited about his future than we probably ever were about Granger.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Smits Happens For This Useful Post:

Do we really have to insult Danny just to profess the greatness of Paul George? Is there a law that say's you can't like both of them?

Fake toughness. smh....

There is no possible way at all that Paul has benefitted from playing with better players is there? No, that has nothing to do with anything.

Look there is no doubt that Paul George is a special player, I think he has the potential to be one of the upper star talents in the NBA. But that does not mean that Danny Granger is a piece of crap.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

8. The Following 44 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Look there is no doubt that Paul George is a special player, I think he has the potential to be one of the upper star talents in the NBA. But that does not mean that Danny Granger is a piece of crap.
    He never said anything like that.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

He's a better ballhandler, better team defender, more versitile defender (guards more range of players), better at a younger age, way way way better passer.

That last one, I was thinking about last night, whats Dannys career high in assists, I will look it up, but I'd be shocked if he's ever had a double digit assist game. (edit he did in 07, he had 10, I stand corrected.)

PG sees the floor better on both sides. He's a better athlete.

Listen, its hard to compare them without saying 'what' PG is better than DG at. Danny is really really good at guarding big 3s and has a great shot even with a hand in his face.

I've said it several times the last two years. I can't think of anything that I can't see Paul George capable of doing on the basketball court. Thats about as big a compliment as I can think of.

If DG can understand and execute his role with how things have changed the last 4 months... I really start to think that being a true contender is possible, this year. Just crazy.

PGs still has tons of room to grow and he's an allstar.
    Last edited by Speed; 02-14-2013 at 02:26 PM.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    That last one, I was thinking about last night, whats Dannys career high in assists, I will look it up, but I'd be shocked if he's ever had a double digit assist game.
    2.8 is his career high, sandwiched inbetween 2.7 and 2.6. He had 10 assists vs Mil on 4/11/07.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    You are right, and maybe it's because of just expecting to have that reaction on this board, but I got the idea that the comparison to Granger's shortcoming was being made quite deliberately. The OP made a point of calling him fake tough, and the 2nd poster said Granger doesn't contribute in all facets of the game. And the point seemed to be that Granger doesn't play defense. While it may be true that PG is better than Granger at defense and rebounding, Granger is a solid rebounder and an above average defender. Just because George is superior in a few ways doesn't negate the fact that Danny is a great all around player.
    Last edited by aamcguy; 02-15-2013 at 01:12 AM. Reason: lol used the wrong homonym of "right"

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

Yeah, there's a difference. PG is much more well rounded. Danny is the better scorer, but I think that comes down to attitude. If PG could get Danny's killer instinct, he'd really be a handful for the rest of the leauge.

What i get from reading multiple threads on this forum is that Granger supporters are having a hard time coming to grips with the fact that PG is the new face of the franchise.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Magic P For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

PG was drafted at 10, DG at 17. One would certainly EXPECT more upside from PG.

PG plays 2/3, Danny plays 3/4. One would EXPECT more assists from PG than DG.

Danny spent his time on the floor as the #1 option (sometimes the only option capable of scoring at all) and hampered by an offense that was, shall we say, less than stellar in its construction.

Yes, I think PG has the ability to be a star. But I'll need to see some consistency over another year or two before he completely takes Danny's place. If one season made a player, then Danny's MIP season would define him forever and we would not be having this discussion.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Magic P View Post
    What i get from reading multiple threads on this forum is that Granger supporters are having a hard time coming to grips with the fact that PG is the new face of the franchise.
    Some people throw "new face of the franchise" around like it turns on a dime. It takes a little more than a breakthrough year to take that place. After all, it was being thrown around that Roy was the "new face of the franchise" after last year - how has that stood the test of time?

There's more to it than "what have you done for me lately?" Let's see what Danny does when he gets back on the floor, THEN let's decide who is the "new face of the franchise".
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

With Danny as good as he was during some stretches of his career, his potential always seemed capped at what he was in 2005 that was basically as good as he was ever going to get. Which don't get me wrong was very good and I love Danny, but he honestly was kind of a player that maximized his athletic ability to be where he was. Granger quite simply is not close to the athlete that Paul George is which is testament to Granger for capitalizing as much as he has with his more limited skill sets. PG on the other hand has the kind of athleticism that can truly make him great, he has been compared even by ESPN analysts as a Tracy McGrady that can play defense. While his offense isn't at the level of McGrady he has the athleticism and body build to get there if he can completely capitalize on his athletic abilities. For the people saying PG is a more COMPLETE player this is also slightly true but not by as much as perception seems, I mean Danny was a very good rebounding SF as well just not as elite as PG is in that regard. Danny was always more of a 5 RPG guy PG seems like he can easily maintain his current 8 RPG status for the rest of his career if not even build on that. Danny was also some what limited in his playmaking ability as far as setting up other players something he improved on but was never a big weapon of his, PG isn't a great playmaker yet either but again this is something I think he has more potential in than Granger ever did. I love Granger and if PG doesn't improve much more being a 2005 level Granger player for the rest of your career isn't such a bad thing, but where people are getting super hyped about PG is that we think the ceiling is higher than 2005 Granger's was thus meaning he has a chance to be truly special.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to VideoVandal For This Useful Post:

What you write is the common thread lately on PD, to many star-gazed player worshippers and not enough Pacers Fans.

It is never, it never was and it never will be about who is the most important, but what the sum total can do for our team. between the fake toughness in the first post and this one, they show perfectly why I get more often irritated reading PD then enjoying myself like I have done for years, I find it easier to deal with antagonists like Olblu then these star worshippers.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to able For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    PG was drafted at 10, DG at 17. One would certainly EXPECT more upside from PG.

PG plays 2/3, Danny plays 3/4. One would EXPECT more assists from PG than DG.

Danny spent his time on the floor as the #1 option (sometimes the only option capable of scoring at all) and hampered by an offense that was, shall we say, less than stellar in its construction.

Yes, I think PG has the ability to be a star. But I'll need to see some consistency over another year or two before he completely takes Danny's place. If one season made a player, then Danny's MIP season would define him forever and we would not be having this discussion.
    One would also EXPECT more rebounds from the guy playing the 3/4.

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    What you write is the common thread lately on PD, to many star-gazed player worshippers and not enough Pacers Fans.

It is never, it never was and it never will be about who is the most important, but what the sum total can do for our team. between the fake toughness in the first post and this one, they show perfectly why I get more often irritated reading PD then enjoying myself like I have done for years, I find it easier to deal with antagonists like Olblu then these star worshippers.
    Actually, the star worshippers are those who keep saying everything is going to be alright when Danny gets back. Do those post equally upset you? I bet you that they don't.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Magic P For This Useful Post:

Some people throw "new face of the franchise" around like it turns on a dime. It takes a little more than a breakthrough year to take that place. After all, it was being thrown around that Roy was the "new face of the franchise" after last year - how has that stood the test of time?

There's more to it than "what have you done for me lately?" Let's see what Danny does when he gets back on the floor, THEN let's decide who is the "new face of the franchise".
    It is a much easier argument to make that Danny was never a "face of the franchise," than it is to say that someone else currently is.

IMO the implication was heading in that direction. Sure the piece of crap thing was hyperbole but still the idea was to elevate Paul by trampling on Danny.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Smits Happens View Post
    One would also EXPECT more rebounds from the guy playing the 3/4.
    My only argument against that is to remind you that the coaching philosophy for Danny's years has usually emphasized long shots that are almost impossible for a 4 to rebound OR getting back on defense in lieu of rebounding (offensive) or getting Danny back on offense so he could be the shooter rather than having him be the rebounding option (defensive).
    BillS

Actually, the star worshippers are those who keep saying everything is going to be alright when Danny gets back. Do those post equally upset you? I bet you that they don't.
    Your answer show you have no idea what you are talking about, thank you.

Oh and please don't attempt to insult me, it would really make only for more ugliness.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to able For This Useful Post:

You don't have to be for 1 player or the other; that's crazy. They're my two favorite players on the team, and I appreciate the talents of both.

We are on pace for a 49-50 win season without Danny Granger. Why wouldn't everything be alright when Danny gets back? It's not like we need him to turn a losing ballclub into championship material, we need for him to turn a 50 win team into a 60 win team.
    Last edited by aamcguy; 02-14-2013 at 03:07 PM.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

My only argument against that is to remind you that the coaching philosophy for Danny's years has usually emphasized long shots that are almost impossible for a 4 to rebound OR getting back on defense in lieu of rebounding (offensive) or getting Danny back on offense so he could be the shooter rather than having him be the rebounding option (defensive).
    Those are good points. But then again I could also point out that the Pacers were a top-10 team in assists for some of those years you referenced and a higher-scoring team, whereas now they are near the bottom of the league in scoring and assists, so assists should be harder to come by for Paul.

By the way I'm not trying to put down Danny with any of this, but rather just pointing out why I have even higher hopes for Paul's future.

It is a much easier argument to make that Danny was never a "face of the franchise," than it is to say that someone else currently is.
    Huh? Who was the "face of the franchise" over the past 5 seasons then?

EDIT: Or who could have been, I guess I should say? I don't think anyone can argue it wasa player besides Danny, and be taken seriously.
    Last edited by Since86; 02-14-2013 at 03:17 PM.

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have no problem with liking them both. Danny is a great player and has been the face of this team for almost 7 years.

Paul George is apparently bolting to stardom faster than anything I've ever seen.

I love it. I love having both of them in the uniform of my favorite team.

And PLEASE... enough of this Danny Granger "fake tough" garbage.

Last edited by duke dynamite; 02-14-2013 at 03:19 PM.

42. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Huh? Who was the "face of the franchise" over the past 5 seasons then?
    Well the attendance figures don't really portend anyone truly deserving that mantle, but I would say Larry Bird.

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post: