Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Pacers/Raptors Postgame Thread 1/8/13

Default Re: Pacers/Raptors Postgame Thread 1/8/13

First game I have attended in 5 years. Thanks for the tickets friend of Pizza Guy.
    My observations of the game are thus:
    1. Some ref calls were questionable but not the reason we lost.
    2. David West screwed up. (more than once)
    3. Paul George really needs to take ball handling classes
    4. Free throws are really important.
    5. Lance Stevenson should handle play making more. positives outweigh the negatives.
    6. Rudy Gay played very well.
    7. The shot was good. But see number 2.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hoopsforlife For This Useful Post:

The Pacers need to go under the screens about 50% of the time because they cannot get over the screen
    and stop penetration into the lane. And additionally the Pacers need to start having moving screens like everyone
    else gets away with.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are we really arguing that he didn't get the shot off? It was close, but the ball was out of his hand.
    Are we really arguing otherwise? It was close, but his fingers were on the ball.

(I know I am, but what about you?)
    (Nanny nannny boo boo)
    (Yo mama!)

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This could be said about any loss obviously, but these 2 home losses to the Raptors could be the difference between the 2nd seed and the 5th seed.

Lol I HATE losing to teams we should beat

This is a typical NBA game where the better team lost the game. This is also one reason why the NFL is the more popular league. You generally know the Colts are going to go out with maximum effort.

This is not to say the Pacers weren't trying. It's simply difficult to get up for 82 games a year. The Raptors, being in last place, simply do not get guys as motivated as LeBron and Wade. Human nature...so we lost.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This is a typical NBA game where the better team lost the game. This is also one reason why the NFL is the more popular league. You generally know the Colts are going to go out with maximum effort.

This is not to say the Pacers weren't trying. It's simply difficult to get up for 82 games a year. The Raptors, being in last place, simply do not get guys as motivated as LeBron and Wade. Human nature...so we lost.
    Kind of a perfect storm. DWest and Hill make stupid mistakes down the stretch--very unlike either of them. PG's defense doesn't work at the end of the game, also unusual. Lance tired after 4 in 5 days and settling for jumpers.

A last tenth of a second call that could have gone either way, called for the opponent. Just not our day.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Good to see Paul back in the post the very moment Toronto tried guarding him with a SG. This the fourth straight game where PG has done it.

The Pacers really need another dependable scorer. Too many multi minute droughts this year. Danny goes along way to remedy that.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Idk if the shot was good or not, it goes either direction, but I know Amir just shoved David right out from underneath the basket. Quinn made a comment about it, but it was clear in real time. Johnson drives straight into West and shoots that floater, West turns and then ends up outside of the lane while Johnson tips it back in.

Maybe this is how other teams feel, but it really felt like Toronto was just trying to be more physical than the Pacers down low, which is pretty hard to do. Shoves were good box outs last night.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    Really! You think David West got so nervous he just choked the ball up?

choke (ch˝k) v. choked, chok·ing, chokes. --tr. 4. Sports. To fail to perform effectively because of nervous agitation or tension:

David West is to much of a veteran to choke in a regular season game like that. Hoop is right!

I am a David West homer and even I agree that the man choked down the stretch. He was a beast all game but twice we had unforced judgment turnovers with the ball in his hands. Does he have a history of choking, no. But last night was a example the man is human and mistakes are made.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm a big Roy fan and am cool with paying a guy who doesn't score alot. BUT when guards are out boarding the biggest guy on the floor then he's just freaking weak! He was for that game anyway. Three rebounds with zero offensive boards in about 40 minutes is just atrocious. Roy was nearly invisable and I had no trouble at all finding Toronto's centers!
    The (not generally impressive) Toronto bigs just killed us tonight.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Not trying because they just weren't as up for this game emotionally? What game were you watching? If they aren't playing this game hard there is NO way they lay themselves out like that on a 5th game in 7 nights. They coast or stop trying to push the ball, which was not the case.

I get really tired of losses being attributed to a team just not caring, whether it is the Pacers being accused of not giving a damn about continuing a 15 game home winning streak or if it is every Miami loss neing that they are just goofing off until the playoffs. Yes, teams can lose focus, but every loss to a team that targets you isn't because you didn't care about the game.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

17. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

It was a heartbreaker, I kind of wish David West would stop throwing those football passes, they work maybe 1/5 times. Why didn't he just keep the ball.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to immortality For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    It was a heartbreaker, I kind of wish David West would stop throwing those football passes, they work maybe 1/5 times. Why didn't he just keep the ball.
    Because he was inbounding it?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

21. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Not trying because they just weren't as up for this game emotionally? What game were you watching? If they aren't playing this game hard there is NO way they lay themselves out like that on a 5th game in 7 nights. They coast or stop trying to push the ball, which was not the case.

I get really tired of losses being attributed to a team just not caring, whether it is the Pacers being accused of not giving a damn about continuing a 15 game home winning streak or if it is every Miami loss neing that they are just goofing off until the playoffs. Yes, teams can lose focus, but every loss to a team that targets you isn't because you didn't care about the game.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    Like I said, they were trying..... But don't kid yourself. Everyone who has competed in sports knows that certain teams will bring out a better performance. This is not a knock on the Pacers at all. It's just human nature.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Like I said, they were trying..... But don't kid yourself. Everyone who has competed in sports knows that certain teams will bring out a better performance. This is not a knock on the Pacers at all. It's just human nature.
    Don't confuse "performance" with "effort". I have seen teams play against their rival and perform horribly BECAUSE they were so up for the game that they were trying too hard.

I know that in an 82 game season you don't play every game flat out balls to the wall, but i can say from my seat it looked like everyone was leaving it on the court - not successfully for a lot of reasons, mostly both mental and physical fatigue, but certainly not treating the game any different from the previous 3.
    BillS

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

JMO, but it seems too much is being put into this loss. Yes, they lost. Stuff happens in the NBA. Pacers have been playing well. Tonight they didn't. Tomorrow they will. In a 82 game season, sometimes the basketball gods don't smile on you.

99 times out of 100 that last shot would still be in Johnson's [?] hand when the buzzer went off. Tonight it wasn't. Most of the time, the pacers wouldn't miss, what, 11 shots in a row. Most of the time, Gay's last second shot wouldn't go in. Raptors played well, got lucky and won. Stuff happens. Not anything to worry about as a fan unless it starts happening over and over.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:

David West made some uncharacteristically bad plays for his standards late in the game, but I think the team as a whole kind of let up for those closing seconds. It was a tough loss to swallow given that the game should've been won. However, West has also won us a lot of game with his late minutes heroics. Hopefully, they come back next game with a bit more urgency.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

How I felt in the last seconds of OT. (NSFW Language)

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jose31917 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dohman View Post
    I am a David West homer and even I agree that the man choked down the stretch. He was a beast all game but twice we had unforced judgment turnovers with the ball in his hands. Does he have a history of choking, no. But last night was a example the man is human and mistakes are made.
    Will just displayed what the definition of choking is, and how that does not fit David West.

If you really want to say he got nervous and limpwristed, okay I guess, but I don't buy it. He just screwed up. Just because he screwed up late didn't mean he choked any more than missing a FG late automatically means you choked. He failed, but he did not choke. There's a difference. You can choke and fail, you can not choke and fail. Not all failures are chokes.

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

He didn't choke. He stupided.