Thread: Former NBA All Star Vin Baker quits alcohol and is studying to become a pastor

Default Former NBA All Star Vin Baker quits alcohol and is studying to become a pastor

Its actually a 6 page article but I only pasted the first page here.. its a really great article..

Former NBA All-Star Vin Baker rebounds from life of booze and excess with help from Abyssinian Baptist Church in Harlem
    Now, Baker is a student at Union Theological Seminary in Manhattan, studying to get his Master’s degree in divinity with the hopes of becoming a pastor, just like his father, who also struggled with alcohol and stopped drinking after a religious awakening

Drinking problems ruined the career of former Knick Vin Baker, who is now a youth minister at the Abyssinian Baptist Church in Harlem, mentoring youths.

Vin Baker is resting an elbow on a wooden pulpit, his 6-11 body wrapped in a snappy, plaid suit that seems to stretch on forever. He takes a deep breath and exhales, his long face looking down for a moment. The audience waits patiently, kids sitting up straight. Then, Baker, a four-time NBA All-Star, tells his story, difficult as it might be. Delivering a sermon is harder than shooting free throws, he says.

“At one point I thought having a full armor of God was having a sneaker in my name and having millions of dollars,” he says with a smile, looking out to a small crowd seated in folding chairs. “In my career, I amassed $105 million. Sounds like a pretty big armor, right?”

Most of the adults in the crowd quickly reply with an “Uh huh.”

Baker smiles and goes on.

“When you’re protected by the armor of God, it doesn’t matter how much money you had or how many gold medals you won in the Olympics. No, the armor means praying and having the armor protect you from the enemy.”

He speaks without notes, his voice getting stronger.

“When you get some $100 million, it’s easy to forget about God,” said Baker, who spent some time with the Knicks. “I’m guilty. I forgot about church on Sunday. But he brought me back under his protection.”

As an NBA player for 13 seasons, Baker was an anomaly: a 6-11 forward who could shoot from the outside and dribble like a guard.

As a preacher, Baker is similarly gifted, speaking in a soothing, deep tone, cracking jokes, taking his time. Baker was a man in control as he delivered a sermon to the Abyssinian Baptist Junior Church on a Sunday in early January. So, it was a surprise that Baker, 41, chose to talk about his own failings, of blowing millions of dollars in his career, and struggling to come to terms with his relationship with God. And though he didn’t mention it, his failures all stemmed from an addiction to alcohol and with issues of depression — a one-two combination that destroyed his career and nearly killed him, he admits.

Still, he was standing there before the church group that day, clean and sober, looking trim, full of promise.

In the nearly two years since Baker has sworn off alcohol, he has worked hard to get his life together, abstaining from the hard liquor he favored after games.

Baker doesn’t attend Alcoholics Anonymous meetings or follow a 12-step program. But he does subscribe to a higher power. Since May, out of the public eye, in a basement of the Abyssinian Church in Harlem, Baker has served as a youth minister, running Sunday morning prayer services and counseling young adults in the evenings. He does this for no money, with little glamour or fanfare. He is no longer Vin Baker the Olympian, who once won 61 games alongside Gary Payton with the Seattle SuperSonics. He is far removed from that life.

Now, he is a student at Union Theological Seminary in Manhattan, studying to get his Master’s degree in divinity with the hopes of becoming a pastor, just like his father, who also struggled with alcohol and stopped drinking after a religious awakening at age 20. Baker lives in a sparse but pleasant two-bedroom dorm at Union, a change from the 9,613-square foot mansion in Connecticut he once called home.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...#ixzz2KSjyPB6I

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Former NBA All Star Vin Baker quits alcohol and is studying to become a pastor

A Master of Divinity degree is no joke. It's very different from a Master of Arts. Standard MDiv is 90+ graduate hours... roughly equivalent of a MA and a PhD in some fields. And Union is a legit seminary.

Dude isn't taking the easy route.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Former NBA All Star Vin Baker quits alcohol and is studying to become a pastor

Good for him!

Glad to see someone going down a wrong path turn and take the narrow road.

I wish him nothing but blessings and success.
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar

He's more fortunate right now than the day he signed his mega contract. This is the kind of story I like to hear opposed to the Ryan Leaf type stories.
    LeWade are going down.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

His fall-off from legit NBA 2nd tier star to a marginal contibutor with a bloated contract was pretty quick. The alcoholism explains a lot there including what I remember as some pretty significant weight/conditioning issues.

Always good to read about guys like this getting back on track. Hope he can keep it on track and hope he has enough of that $100 MIL left to take care of his family?

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I saw him play a couple of games where he was impossible to stop. That didn't last very long.

Props to his second wind.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Great news!

For the record, though, I believe this has happened before with him though.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Great news!

For the record, though, I believe this has happened before with him though.
    I purposely didn't say this last night because I just didn't want to be "that guy", but yes I've read this article before about him. Well not THIS article but one just like it that said he had gotten his life together and was trying to be a minister.

I wish him well & hope he is on his way.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hey, if Ma$e can do it...

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Good for Vin. My roommate is working on her MDiv and she works at least 20 hours more a week than I do. Gotta put in a lot of time for that.

I wish him the best of luck. I also hope he kept a few millions back for his old age.