Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Balcony center seats worth an extra $20 more than balcony corner?

Default Balcony center seats worth an extra $20 more than balcony corner?

I'm looking at tickets for the Lakers game in March. I can't really blow money on good seats, so I'm gonna have to settle for balcony seats. I've sat in the center balcony before and it wasn't bad at all, plus with the new screen it'll be even better now.

The corner seats are about $20 cheaper though. Anyone who's sat there want to tell me how they liked it?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Balcony center seats worth an extra $20 more than balcony corner?

Not a bad seat in the Fieldhouse. By far the best venue for watching a basketball game in terms of sight lines.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

My season tickets are behind the basket in the balcony and I love the view. Like TJ said, not a bad seat in the Fieldhouse. I'd say it's just a personal preference.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BPump33 For This Useful Post:

Alright thanks dudes, I'll just go with the cheapest ones I can find.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Corner seats are personally my favorite, but like was said, not a single "bad" seat in the house.

Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not a bad seat in the Fieldhouse. By far the best venue for watching a basketball game in terms of sight lines.
    Actually, I found one I thought was bad.

I wasn't a STH last year (was the 3 years prior, though), and I came back this year and saw that Section 211 Row 1 Seat 1 was available. Basically it's where the corner meets the sideline. Sounded good, signed up.

Got to the first pre-season game... and I hated it! Why? Because at that seat, looking at the floor from that angle, you're watching everything through glass. That spot puts you right next to that 3-4' tall glass they put at the bottom of the stairs leading into each section to keep people from falling over it if they stumble down the steps. So basically you're watching everything with this sheet of glass in your face. *edit* And your right leg is pushed up against the concrete steps as well. Did not like it at all.

Fortunately, I talked with my rep and there was a row 1 seat available in a sideline section, and she got me moved right away. Really like that seat, actually.

That having been said, to get back more to the OP's question, I also used to sit in Section 212 for 3 years (a corner section), and also enjoyed those, too.

Personally, I like the view from the sideline better, but I was perfectly satisfied with my corner angle for those 3 years, too.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It really depends on how you like to watch the game.

If you're a TV executive and you're looking for the cheapest way to put cameras in the building, you put one at center court because it has got the equally-bad view of both baskets. Other than television forcing it, nobody watches the game that way.

If you're a PG, you probably prefer sitting behind the basket becasue that gives you the best viewing angle of the other end of the court. Not a great viewing angle for the court right in front of you... be high enough that the backboard isn't in your way.

A lot of scouts like the corner seats.

If I could pick the angle I was watching during a television broadcast, it would be from about here:

From here, you can see the plays develop, passing lanes, post activity, the game takes on more of a three-dimensional view. Especially at the far end of the court, maybe not as much at the near end of the court.

I've just always found center court to be the spot that has an equally-bad view of both baskets. That probably makes it the best-priced ticket (for value). This location would be better than center court for the activity happening in front of the visitor's bench, but not necessarily better than center court for the activity happening right in front of you. So for value, its better than center court for one basket and worse than center court for the other basket.

(This seems to be lower, but about the same angle as my old Section 204 seats.)
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Mood

I'm the opposite. I think center court gives you two equally good views.

Now that changes if you get too low. I sat in row 1, row 2, or close, at least a half dozen times during the O'Brien years behind either bench and there's a certain point where I really struggle to see the plays. At that point I'm lost in that regard, but the neat thing about being that close is you really get a sense of the size, speed, and physicality of the players.

Mood

Speaking of views at an angle or behind the goals, I wonder if one day they'll come up with some kind of transparent support for backboards so they don't obstruct your view.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post

I saw a game at Madison Square Garden nine years ago. The sight lines from the top of MSG are much better than the top corner of the Fieldhouse. The lower balcony seats are fine at the Fieldhouse, but I feel far away from the action when I'm in the top corner. I still felt close at MSG and I was near the very top of it.

Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    I don't think you can see passing lanes very well. I think the absolute best place to watch is standing in the center court circle where you could swivel around to watch both baskets. But you can only stand there during practice, I suppose. I'd rather slide toward and endline to keep a similar viewing angle than toward a sideline and lose the viewing angle. JMO, of course, but I do think you'll usually find yourself surrounded by the scouts and assistant coaches down there.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post

Now that changes if you get too low. I sat in row 1, row 2, or close, at least a half dozen times during the O'Brien years behind either bench and there's a certain point where I really struggle to see the plays. At that point I'm lost in that regard, but the neat thing about being that close is you really get a sense of the size, speed, and physicality of the players.
    Yep, that's the difference - if you want to see the players, sit down low. If you want to see plays, you need to sit higher. Now I'd prefer the first row of Club level over the first row of the balcony ($$$$ wouldn't we all $$$$), but for value, a low-level balcony seat at the Fieldhouse is great. Having said that, I've had problems with the protective plexiglass for seats at both The UC and Fieldhouse. I wouldn't want to have that in the viewline for an entire season.

I miss the MSA lower level sideline seats. Anything in the lower level between the baselines were unbelievable seats - nothing matches that at the Fieldhouse. MSA was much steeper so you were up higher and yet still really close to the court - at the Fieldhouse you are low, but further back - just not as good a view of the court.

My favorite seats at the fieldhouse are in the corners in the raised temporary seats on the south end. Those are raised higher than the north end, so IMO the view is better.

In general when I attend a game, I want to be as close to the floor as possible - I care less about seeing the plays, passing lanes that sort of thing - I see that all the time from the TV angle
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 02-07-2013 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I miss the MSA lower level sideline seats. Anything in the lower level between the baselines were unbelievable seats - nothing matches that at the Fieldhouse. MSA was much steeper so you were up higher and yet still really close to the court - at the Fieldhouse you are low, but further back - just not as good a view of the court.

My favorite seats at the fieldhouse are in the corners in the raised temporary seats on the south end. Those are raised higher than the north end, so IMO the view is better.
    That's true, but where MSA was awful, and all hockey arenas are awful, is for the seats beyond the baseline. It was hard to get a good corner or behind the basket seat at MSA because of the shape of the hockey rink.

The Fieldhouse solved that problem. At MSA, for a corner seat you really needed to be no deeper than the edge of the wooden court, which is what - 6 feet or so beyond the baseline? Ailes 23, 24, 1, and 2 were awful, no matter what row you were in (and the same at the other end... what were those 12, 13, 14, 15?) Those beyond-the-baseline seats at the Fieldhouse are remarkably closer to the court and also at a viewing angle to the court (you had to sit ****-eyed in your seat at MSA to see the far end of the court.)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    It really depends on how you like to watch the game.

If you're a TV executive and you're looking for the cheapest way to put cameras in the building, you put one at center court because it has got the equally-bad view of both baskets. Other than television forcing it, nobody watches the game that way.

If you're a PG, you probably prefer sitting behind the basket becasue that gives you the best viewing angle of the other end of the court. Not a great viewing angle for the court right in front of you... be high enough that the backboard isn't in your way.

A lot of scouts like the corner seats.

If I could pick the angle I was watching during a television broadcast, it would be from about here:

From here, you can see the plays develop, passing lanes, post activity, the game takes on more of a three-dimensional view. Especially at the far end of the court, maybe not as much at the near end of the court.

I've just always found center court to be the spot that has an equally-bad view of both baskets. That probably makes it the best-priced ticket (for value). This location would be better than center court for the activity happening in front of the visitor's bench, but not necessarily better than center court for the activity happening right in front of you. So for value, its better than center court for one basket and worse than center court for the other basket.

(This seems to be lower, but about the same angle as my old Section 204 seats.)
    Haha, I took that picture...

22. The Following User Says Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    I don't think you can see passing lanes very well. I think the absolute best place to watch is standing in the center court circle where you could swivel around to watch both baskets. But you can only stand there during practice, I suppose. I'd rather slide toward and endline to keep a similar viewing angle than toward a sideline and lose the viewing angle. JMO, of course, but I do think you'll usually find yourself surrounded by the scouts and assistant coaches down there.
    I wish TV would let us watch games from the NBA2K default camera angle (well, it was the default until a year or two ago, anyway). Basically akin to the Madden video game default camera angle; behind the backs of the offensive players. I'm actually having a harder time finding a good screenshot of it on Google than I expected. But essentially it gives you a similar view to live action that mirrors a coach drawing up a half-court play on his clipboard; the basket is ahead of you, each corner 3 point shot is on either side of the screen, the top of the key 3p shot is closest to the camera. That's a great angle that I think still has potential some day for television if audiences could just get used to it. Maybe one day we can select our preferred camera angle right from our TV? Probably doable since TNT already offers something like that on the Internet. I'd like that for NFL games, too.

Getting back to live action seen from center court, at least when done from 1st row balcony I feel like I can see pretty much everything I want to see, though yes passing angles are tougher from that side than they are from a baseline view. But I when I pay attention I can see what the X's and O's are and that kind of thing.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

I am a corner-halfway-up guy and that's where my STs are. I miiiiiiiight like to be a little farther around toward the sideline from where I am, but that's the handicap access area (main seats are another 4 rows or more up behind them) and the next section over is too far.

I considered seats in the front row over the team entryway (I just hate saying "vomitorium") in Section 2, but those weren't available and I have come to love my current seats such that they will have to be pried from my cold, dead fingers. I would sell my children and grandchildren to continue paying for them - a fact of which they are all aware.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

25. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Mood

I like the old close-up camera view at Assembly Hall before they upgraded the video equipment years back.

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    Haha, I took that picture...

I spent a little bit of time wondering if I'd taken it, but 204 is much higher.

I like the corners. I try to sit corners at all the sporting events I go to. If they are going to charge me less for them, I'm all for it.

I had season tickets in the balcony 3 years in a row. First season was section 227 (corner), second season was section 201 (corner), third season was section 208 (center). Paid about the same price each season from what I can recall and there really wasn't a ton of improvement from one to the next, but I personally preferred the center because there was never any weird angle that I couldn't see anything from. Occasionally in the corners your view of a shot can be obstructed behind the backboard and you can't really see if the ball went in or not.
    Grown Man Ball

30. The Following User Says Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ASkin_ANight View Post
    I'm looking at tickets for the Lakers game in March. I can't really blow money on good seats, so I'm gonna have to settle for balcony seats. I've sat in the center balcony before and it wasn't bad at all, plus with the new screen it'll be even better now.

The corner seats are about $20 cheaper though. Anyone who's sat there want to tell me how they liked it?
    Instead of paying a premium to see the Lakers in the Balcony level why not wait a week and get better tickets to the Bucks game? Pacers will thank you for it. You could hit up stubhub and get corner club level seats for less than $35 for that game, while the Lakers tickets in the Balcony are going for over $50!
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Mood

I like my spot in the back row of G2Zone.

I've sat in every level at all three angles. Corners, sideline, and baseline. Honest to God my favorite view is from Area55. Corner club. Didn't like baseline at any level. And in lower level I hated sidelines.
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

@LetsTalkPacers

Mood

I'm not a fan of the corner balcony seats at all. I had the misfortune once of sitting in the same section as a large group of girls, and their parents, who provided the halftime entertainment. It was awful as the entire game they were up and down the stairs, and everytime they did so they walked right through my line of sight. So basically I spent the entire night watching people walk up and down the stairs as opposed to watching the game.
    "Can you take away every single day that we have given to another false prophet" -- Corey Taylor